Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 not supporting gamepads on PC. Releases ME3 gamepad

• 92 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    http://www.razerzone.com/me3

First off, how the hell can a PC game, especially this big, come out in 2012 and NOT have controller support? Bioware are seriously falling behind the times. In Mass Effect 2 is wasn't good but not ALL games did it then, in Mass Effect 3 it's just a joke. And then Razor comes out with Official ME3 gear including...a gamepad(also wired)! What the...? Are they serious? Oh awesome, I'll just buy this over priced controller and never used it on the game that's plastered all over it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Can't you also use that controller on a 360? If you don't have the game on 360, don't buy the controller.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By N7

They also released a keyboard and mouse.

I'm pretty sure you can use them on a PC.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

@Metal_Mills: Because they're trying to fool the PC "hardcore" (you know, the type of guys that are too stubborn to admit that KB+M isn't the greatest for everything) that they're really making this version for them, and that it's not just a 360 port job. I'm not buying this until I know for sure I can use my gamepad should I choose to. This is 2012, enough with it already.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bocam

@N7: MIND BLOWN

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By metal_mills
    @xyzygy said:

Can't you also use that controller on a 360? If you don't have the game on 360, don't buy the controller.

They specifically say ""If you're an Xbox 360 player, or a PC player who favors the gamepad"
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Bocam said:

@N7: MIND BLOWN

lol
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By N7
    @Metal_Mills said:
    @xyzygy said:

They specifically say ""If you're an Xbox 360 player, or a PC player who favors the gamepad"
    There will probably be mods for this in the first hour of release.

In fact, aren't there mods for this out right now?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli

I'm pissed at getting no controller support. Seems like some bullshit pandering to a non-existent pc elitist who'll cry 'cheap console port' if it supports gamepads. Quite the opposite really. ARE YOU EFFIN' CRAZY BIOWARE?

On a sidenote. After playing the PC and PS3 version back to back... I just can't take the jaggies and blurry textures on consoles anymore, so I'll just bite the bullet. Guess I'll live. I'll get extra hotkeys and snappier aim, but conversations will be chore sitting upright at my desk, instead of being all laid back. And god dammit, Rumble DOES add a worthwhile layer of feedback to the game and I miss it dearly.

Damned if I do. Damned if I don't. GOD DAMN YOU BIOWARE!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By phrosnite

Hahaha. On PC we play games with KB&M...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

Keyword : UN-SUPPORTED. As in - Bioware put an effort into UN-SUPPORTING gamepads. For appearances I guess?

Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning is the perfect example for how gamepad support on PC is done right. Seamless support of both KB&M and 360 Gamepad. Switch between KB&M setup and interface and fully supported 360 gamepad setup and interface instantly, without fiddling around in menues or anything. Just pick up and play however you like.

THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

@phrosnite said:

How is this a matter to laugh about... I find the lack of controller support distateful. To say the least.

It's not even a lack thereof. It's the pro-active removal of gamepad support. The Un-support of gamepads. God fucking dammit Bioware. Eat a bag of dicks.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

@phrosnite said:

On PC we play with every peripheral possible. Everything from console controllers to flight sticks and racing wheels.

thellama042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thellama042

@Seppli: I didn't know un-supporting was something you could do.I've always been under the impression that you either support it, or don't support it. I'm pretty sure that you can't put any real effort into not supporting something. You either put effort into supporting something, or ignore it.

Also, have they confirmed that the finished game will not support a gamepad, or is it just a demo thing?

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By OneManX

That controller looks pretty sweet. Eventhough I'll be playing ME3 on a PS3.

I played a little bit of Mass Effect 2 on PC, and didnt enjoy it, but I know some people who can play it on PC with keyboard controls and have no problems.

Also as stated earlier, give it like an hour post release and someone will release a Controller mod.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlasherMan

@Seppli said:

I'm pissed at getting no controller support. Seems like some bullshit pandering to a non-existent pc elitist who'll cry 'cheap console port' if it supports gamepads. Quite the opposite really. ARE YOU EFFIN' CRAZY BIOWARE?

On a sidenote. After playing the PC and PS3 version back to back... I just can't take the jaggies and blurry textures on consoles anymore, so I'll just bite the bullet. Guess I'll live. I'll get extra hotkeys and snappier aim, but conversations will be chore sitting upright at my desk, instead of being all laid back. And god dammit, Rumble DOES add a worthwhile layer of feedback to the game and I miss it dearly.

Damned if I do. Damned if I don't. GOD DAMN YOU BIOWARE!

I agree with this 100%. The fact that they would go through the effort to REMOVE gamepad support when really, considering this is just a 360 port and it would be there by default, is just mind-boggling.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phrosnite

@Seppli said:

@phrosnite said:

How is this a matter to laugh about... I find the lack of controller support distateful. To say the least.

It's not even a lack thereof. It's the pro-active removal of gamepad support. The Un-support of gamepads. God fucking dammit Bioware. Eat a bag of dicks.

Dragon Age 2 - "You can't pause during cut-scenes? PRE-ORDER CANCELED!"

Mass Effect 3 - "No gamepad support? PRE-ORDER CANCELED!"

P.S. - Personally I don't care but I bet this is what's going on now on the bioware forums :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AlisterCat: Don't buy a racing wheel!
    iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

@AlisterCat said:

@phrosnite said:

On PC we play with every peripheral possible. Everything from console controllers to flight sticks and racing wheels.

Exactly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

Mass Effect 2 was better with a keyboard. I assume ME3 is the same. Why would you want to use a controller in the first place?

I personally don't care at all since I play ME games on 360.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vexxan

Really weird of them to not include gamepad support...

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By metal_mills
    @CL60 said:

Mass Effect 2 was better with a keyboard. I assume ME3 is the same. Why would you want to use a controller in the first place?

Because HDTV setups are becoming bigger and bigger. Pretty much no one used PC games at Whiskey Media until they hooked it up to their TV's. Now Vinny, Brad, Gray, Will, ect all do that.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@AlisterCat said:

@phrosnite said:

Indee'.

phrosnite is either a dick, troll or retarded.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Gargantuan
    @phrosnite said:

I play most RPGs and single player shooters with controllers on PC. :P I was a PC exclusive guy most of my childhood but now I prefer controllers.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rattle618

Fucking idiots, I knew this would happen.

The work for gamepad support is mostly done (cause of the x360 version), that is the worst part of it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

@thellama042 said:

@Seppli: I didn't know un-supporting was something you could do.I've always been under the impression that you either support it, or don't support it. I'm pretty sure that you can't put any real effort into not supporting something. You either put effort into supporting something, or ignore it.

Also, have they confirmed that the finished game will not support a gamepad, or is it just a demo thing?

Confirmation is attached to the OP. Official Bioware response from their forums.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pw2566ch

I'm a HUGE PC player and there's times that I feel that a gamepad will work just fine for certain games. Mass Effect being one of them. It's a shame that they're not even thinking about adding it in.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic

My Dualshock 3 perfects my PC gaming experience, but Mass Effect is not a game to be played with two small rubber sticks and shoulder buttons.. It needs mouse precision, WASD movement, various functions tied to various KEYS rather than the same 5 buttons with different pressing combos, and ofcourse, hotkeys for the weapons and abilities.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mordukai

@Metal_Mills: Bioware's senior designer Manveer Heir(you know, the guy from Patrick's correspondence letters) explained on twitter why there's no gamepad support.

"There is a development cost in terms of time/effort to get all the graphical user interfaces so 360 buttons show up on PC,"
    It may seem minor, but our GUI team was already stretched thin, and things were coming in at the last minute, so we couldn't add more work.
    Source

So it seems it's a money issue. Anyone here has some dough for poor old Bioware? Maybe they could KickStar the fundings for it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sooty

Don't care, not buying it on PC anyway because DLC uses BioWare points still I bet. Fuck BioWare points.

I like the additional hotkeys the keyboard gives you, far less pausing involved.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By zidd

@Sooty: They will probably sell the DLC through origin now.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ravenlight

I was on the fence about buying ME3 on PC anyway and they keep giving me less and less reasons to do so.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty

@Zidd said:

@Sooty: They will probably sell the DLC through origin now.

Yeah I guess so, probably cost more than the price of MS points on 360 which is annoying though. Oh god I just remembered, I have an SSD now...fuck, I should have stuck with the PC versions, I own both of them. I may have to replay ME1 and ME2 now.

I wonder if I can just pirate the PC DLC, because I'm not paying for the DLC again just for PC. I've already bought the games twice.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZimboDK

I think if I remember correctly that ME1 on the PC had a dedicated PC UI, which wouldn't really work with a controller. I don't really see that in ME2 or 3 though so, money I guess. Or laziness. You could always use Xpadder to map the controller though. It'll probably work fine. Personally I can't play ME with a controller though, it just feels wrong.

bucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bucifer

If they give it the Dragon Age treatment so that it feels RIGHT on a Keyboard + Mouse then it's OK by me. That being said I remember playing DeusEx:HR with a controller and using a mouse just for the hacking mini-game and that seamless switch really felt like THE FUTURE.

Bioware, instead of removing controller support from ME3 how about you removing Jessica Chobot support, methinks that will please all the elitists, or is it just me?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just Razer re-releasing their existing hardware with a different coat of paint for 20% mark-up for w/e big EA title that's coming out. They did this exact same line-up with DA2, BF3 and SWTOR.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

That's a nice controller but the Onza is fucking awful. If Microsoft released a limited edition controller, I'd buy it. I'm not going to buy another Onza just to have it get a dead spot on the left stick again.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ze_ro

@Seppli said:

Eat a bag of dicks.

yeah... this.

@CL60 said:

Why would you want to use a controller in the first place?

Well 'in the first place', I like to get comfy playing my Mass Effect, that's why.

I played ME 1 & 2 on xbox and after playing the PC demo with KB/M, I feel the controller is the better choice for this game.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TorMasturba

@Metal_Mills said: Well they did the same thing with ME 1 and 2. And while I did originally want to use my PC xbox controller due to playing ME2 last time on the 360, I just got used to ME2 on my current playthrough with a M+KB and I actually find it easier to play Insanity with this set up than a gamepad. Give it a go, I know you bought a gamepad for it but I think you might be surprised how much more fun you might have.

thellama042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thellama042

@Seppli said:

Confirmation is attached to the OP. Official Bioware response from their forums.

I don't think that means that the developers went out on a limb to forcibly remove pad support. Also, again, is this demo only or full-game? It could also be a development constraint, which they'll patch in later. This is EA we're talking about, they like their schedules.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By boboblaw

Kinda an odd thing to miss out on these days, especially considering that ME3 is on consoles as well.

Still... Mountains outta molehills

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo

If you want to replicate that authentic pad experience, simply put on some oven gloves before using the mouse.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By DeF

@Brodehouse said:

@AlisterCat: Don't buy a racing wheel!

For god's sake, don't buy a racing wheel!

sgch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sgch

What takes the piss even more than this is the pricing on the UK versions of these accessories.

http://imgur.com/AhQtb

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fullmetal5550

Why not just use a KB&M? Yeah, it sucks when you can't use your preferred method of playing a game but using a different method isn't that difficult.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Alkaiser

@CL60 said:

That's pretty much the same as saying "Well, I like Street Fighter better on an arcade stick, so why even have the option to use a controller for fighting games?"

Maybe some people dislike keyboard and mouse. Why not give them the option even if it's 'worse?'

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VooDooPC

The Unreal engine has built in controller support. So they DID have to spend time unsupporting the controller. I guess it was quicker to take it out than it was to make the UI... even though it's already on the 360...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By Dagbiker

Its a port of the ps3 version

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Teran

@Metal_Mills said:

http://www.razerzone.com/me3 First off, how the hell can a PC game, especially this big, come out in 2012 and NOT have controller support? Bioware are seriously falling behind the times. In Mass Effect 2 is wasn't good but not ALL games did it then, in Mass Effect 3 it's just a joke. And then Razor comes out with Official ME3 gear including...a gamepad(also wired)! What the...? Are they serious? Oh awesome, I'll just buy this over priced controller and never used it on the game that's plastered all over it.

1. Why on earth would someone given the option to use a controller or a mouse and keyboard choose to use the controller?

2. The company name is Razer, not Razor. A razer is one who razes, as in destroys, demolishes, etc. A razor is a sharp blade or electrical gadget that shaves.

3. The ONZA controller features there is by far the best 360 controller I've ever used. Works great on my computer as well but make no mistake, it's a 360 controller.

4. The gamepad is wired because Microsoft does not permit third parties to create wireless controllers for their console.

@N7 said:

They also released a keyboard and mouse. I'm pretty sure you can use them on a PC.

Well played Sir, well played.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Marz

It's perfectly fine on a Keyboard and Mouse from what i played in the demo. No gamepad support only hurts those people who have a PC in their living room and want to play it on their big screen TV and that's quite understandable but their are things like Xpadder which can emulate mouse and keyboard controls through a gamepad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.