Mass Effect 3 on Insanity

#1 Edited by sthusby (382 posts) -

There's been a lot of complaints concerning Mass Effect 3. Most of these complaints revolve around the ending. People seem to forget that it boasts one of the worst quest logs in history, in addition the some of the worst fetch quests in history. On top of that, there's some really horrible writing, granted most of it is good.

But fuck that, I liked the ending, especially keeping the indoctrination theory in mind. So I went through the game once more to see if I could pick up on som stuff in the theory, this time on insanity.

And boy was I dissapointed. The game is so easy on insanity that it just feels like a damned joke. It seems like Bioware got hold of this late in development, and they added the one-hit kills to the banshee's and phantom's that just feel so cheap.

You can literally get killed with a full health bar and full armor. Shepard will just gravitate towards them to set up the aniamation, and it's just as annoying as it was in Skyrim. It's just a way of artificially extending the games shelf life, as well as adding an illusion of difficulty.

The only positive thing that I got out of my insanity run is that I S-ranked that shit. It's too bad though, because I was really craving a challenge from ME3, but sadly Bioware failed to deliver on that front. Mass Effect 3 is great, but Mass Effect 2 is still leaps and bounds beyond most of what the third one accomplishes.

What do you guys think? Anyone else who slogged through it on insanity?

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9738 posts) -

To be fair, you could be one hit killed by the praetorians in Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. Or if it wasn't, it was very close to a one hit kill.

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2405 posts) -

I played it on Insanity my first time through and I think I died maybe 6 times. One was to a Phantom, two deaths in the Grissom Academy mission (mostly because I screwed exactly the same way twice and got ripped to shreds by turrets) and I think I died 3 times against the ninja-guy boss battle near the end.

So I didn't really have much of a problem with either the Phantoms or the Banshees, so yeah, I was really disappointed about the difficulty.

#4 Posted by WarlordPayne (692 posts) -

The Atlas and Brutes can also one hit kill you. I think all the one hit kills are pretty lame, but I've only ever gotten hit by them in multiplayer, though I haven't finished my insanity run in ME3 yet.

#5 Posted by libidinous (38 posts) -

The turrets were the only trouble spot for me; I'd drop and not see it until the death camera spun around - mostly my fault I'm sure. I had heard a lot about the Kai Lang fight but I had no trouble there. Grissom Academy was rough though, but the game was far easier than 2 on insanity.

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2579 posts) -

Dead Space does difficulty well.

Mass Effect not so much.

#7 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

To be fair, you could be one hit killed by the praetorians in Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. Or if it wasn't, it was very close to a one hit kill.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly they didn't grab you like the Banshee or Phantom. It just feels so cheap to be forced into a animation and you can't do anything to stop it.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9738 posts) -

@sthusby said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

To be fair, you could be one hit killed by the praetorians in Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. Or if it wasn't, it was very close to a one hit kill.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly they didn't grab you like the Banshee or Phantom. It just feels so cheap to be forced into a animation and you can't do anything to stop it.

True. And there were only two praetorians in ME2, so I guess it was a bad comparison from the get go.

#9 Edited by Wiseblood (626 posts) -

IMO the main reason ME3 insanity is easier is they just buff the health and existing defenses in higher difficulties in ME3.  In ME2 they actually added more defenses to enemies that previously didn't have them.   Dealing with mobs of husks with ARMOR was a real bitch in ME2.

#10 Posted by Bumpton (424 posts) -

Totally agree. I was a bit bummed that I didn't have a harder time with it. One of the reasons I liked replaying 2 so much was testing out new combat strategies and seeing what was most effective.

#11 Posted by Bogitt (198 posts) -

That 'Marauder Shields' guy was easily the hardest boss in 3, killed me more times in that one little scene than anything in the rest of the game.

#12 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@Bogitt said:

That 'Marauder Shields' guy was easily the hardest boss in 3, killed me more times in that one little scene than anything in the rest of the game.

The guy at the very end? Yeah he was a fucking bitch, died three times there at the end, so annoying.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

The one shots are beyond annoying.
 
Just today I glitched through a hover car and into a Banshees claws in multiplayer, what the fuck.
Not to mention all the times I ran past a Phantom (fullspeed) and my Krogan still decided to stop, turn around and get one shotted.

#14 Posted by AyKay_47 (291 posts) -

Would be somewhat more interesting if you guys who thought it was easy would mention what class you played. When you can one shot things from a mile away as an Infiltrator, a lot of the "challenge" becomes a moot point.

I just did it with a Vanguard. Banshees are cunts. That is all.

#15 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@AyKay_47 said:

Would be somewhat more interesting if you guys who thought it was easy would mention what class you played. When you can one shot things from a mile away as an Infiltrator, a lot of the "challenge" becomes a moot point.

I just did it with a Vanguard. Banshees are cunts. That is all.

I played a vanguard as well. But I played it a bit unorthodox. I went into all missions with the Black Widow, Mattock, Wraith and Paladin. I upgraded all of those weapons so the cooldown was at around -100. Maxed out all skills excluding Cryo ammo. Always used incindiary ammo, which usually will do around a third of the health if you're using the Black Widow. Chose stasis as my extra skill, and mapped Stasis, lift and shockwave to the quick slots, so that's what I basically used.

#16 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

I played it on Insanity my first time through and I think I died maybe 6 times. One was to a Phantom, two deaths in the Grissom Academy mission (mostly because I screwed exactly the same way twice and got ripped to shreds by turrets) and I think I died 3 times against the ninja-guy boss battle near the end.

So I didn't really have much of a problem with either the Phantoms or the Banshees, so yeah, I was really disappointed about the difficulty.

What class are you guys playing? And are you starting from level 1, with zero import bonuses? I started a new game from level 1 on insanity with an Infiltrator, and I'm getting my ass handed to me by simple Cerberus fucks in the first Mars mission. The rifle you start with sucks balls and only carries like ten rounds. So when you run out of ammo with that, you're left unloading the worst pistols in the world while grenades fly at you and the other guys flank you. Specifically, the part right when you get off the tram is a bitch. I beat ME2 on insanity, but with a Soldier, and didn't find it hard at all. This seems way worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.