Mass Jersey effect. The game, the show, the trailer.

• 71 results
#1 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Yes. Someone already made a video spoof about this whole issue. I mean I like a joke but I am the only to feel like this whole thing is just getting ridiculous? Is having that Chobot chick and the completely wooden Freddy Prince Jr. actually deter you from playing the game and completely stoning Bioware?

I already made my feeling towards this alarming trend but I'm not going to completely loss my shit and not at least finish this series. Don't forget ME2 had Jacob Taylor and I don't remember Bioware getting rediculed this much. Who knows, Maybe Chobot and Jr. will be good. They wont be, but maybe, just maybe.

Anyways this spoof trailer is pretty amusing.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

the reason ME3 is going to be bad are not because of these stupid throwaway characters

#3 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

im going to play me3 im going to love me3 done and done

#4 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Animasta said:

the reason ME3 is going to be bad are not because of these stupid throwaway characters

You know, I do have that nagging feeling ever present in back of my head. I hope it won't since I quite liked what Bioware are doing with gameplay systems in ME3. Oh well at least I can keep my interaction with them to a bare minimum like with what I did with Jacob Taylor and Miranada.

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Fuck, I'm so worried about this game it's not even funny. :(

#6 Edited by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Bioware rape their games, a fundamental truth.

#7 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

I didn't even know who this Chobot girl was until she was in that trailer. But between all the trailers and the spoilers that leaked that made everyone so worried, I can't help but get worried as well.

#8 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

A lot of dialogue is hit or miss in Mass Effect so I'm not going to judge Freddy Prince Jr's performance until I play the game. Anyways, You might not even meet Chobot's character and if you do it's still you're choice if you want to talk to her. I mean It's not like you're going to enter a room and Bioware will initiate a mandatory, unavoidable, crucial to the plot of the entire series, conversation with her character just to highlight the fact that she's in the game right guys. Right guys?

#9 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -

What I don't understand is why everyone hates Jacob Taylor. He was... kinda boring, but nothing offensive or anything.

#10 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@Animasta said:

This more or less reflects my feelings on the matter. ME2's gameplay restructuring was a much bigger issue than my dislike of Miranda, I simply made a point to ignore her as much as possible.

However, with all the news about finding a middle ground between ME1's RPG statistics, and ME2's .... whatever, I'm surprisingly more optimistic than most about ME3, maybe because my expectations are markedly lower.

#11 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Zippedbinders said:

@Animasta said:

This more or less reflects my feelings on the matter. ME2's gameplay restructuring was a much bigger issue than my dislike of Miranda, I simply made a point to ignore her as much as possible.

However, with all the news about finding a middle ground between ME1's RPG statistics, and ME2's .... whatever, I'm surprisingly more optimistic than most about ME3, maybe because my expectations are markedly lower.

Well put. That's how I feel about ME3.

#12 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

When they revealed James Vega it almost made me vomit, and every time they show something new it's horrible.

Kinda sad since this has been one of my truly favourite game series so far... but just have to wait till March and see, while preparing for the worst.

#13 Posted by Heltom92 (709 posts) -

@CaptainCharisma said:

@Enigma777 said:

I didn't even know who this Chobot girl was until she was in that trailer. But between all the trailers and the spoilers that leaked that made everyone so worried, I can't help but get worried as well.

People get worried because that is what people do when a franchise gets to its third installment. Just have faith in Bioware that they will make a good game and try not to worry about something that is ultimately not worth worrying about.

#14 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

this kind of thing doesnt bother me at all.

i care about the gameplay and not the fucking cast.

#15 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I just can't escape the feeling that Bioware are gonna take the ME2 approach even further which will eventually lead to me not playing it. I'm tired of the hollywood railshooters.

#16 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

A major part of Mass Effect is the story and character interaction and when that magic is broken by using the likeness of a real live person it kinda sours the experience. I am glad that all you care about is the gameplay but for many here the gameplay is just a part of it.

#17 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@Azteck:From what they've said so far that doesn't seem the case, they'll probably be the odd set piece moment like the stuff shown in the E3 trailer and car section the shadow broker dlc but from the sounds of it they've listened to a lot of the feedback they got from the fans and are trying to make it a blend of 1 and 2 in a lot of ways.

#18 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Eidderf: Any word if they're keeping ammo for the weapons? Because I fucking hated that. Especially on the hardest difficulty.
#19 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@Eidderf: Any word if they're keeping ammo for the weapons? Because I fucking hated that. Especially on the hardest difficulty.

Same as ME2. They've said before that they are not going back to ME1 heat management system.

#20 Edited by believer258 (11794 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@jetsetwillie said:

A major part of Mass Effect is the story and character interaction and when that magic is broken by using the likeness of a real live person it kinda sours the experience. I am glad that all you care about is the gameplay but for many here the gameplay is just a part of it.

So... how on Earth do you get absorbed into movies then?

I find every bit of worry about this game to be a bit pedantic. Worried about real actors' likenesses? Annoyed that they are putting some, uh, "celebrity names" in it? Pissed that they're making the cover-based combat more like Gears of War which, if you didn't know, is exemplary of how to do cover based combat in the first place?

And if anyone's worried about the voice acting being bad - well, that's spotty across pretty much anything that can be called a video game, and that counts for Bioware games too.

I'm not angry so much as I am disappointed that people are complaining about the least little things before the game is even out!

EDIT: Weapon ammo. I like that idea better than the God-awful, slowass cool down timers of the first game. But this is a matter of preference on my part. It might be because I've played a ton of shooters and am used to conserving and effectively using ammo instead of blasting around like crazy.

#21 Posted by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

Why is this an issue? Who gives a shit if the IGN girl is in ME, or Freddy PRINZE (not Prince) Jr. for that matter? What "trend" are you even talking about, OP? So many questions.. I have my concerns over ME3 but the voice cast is not one of them.

#22 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with who this Jessica Chobot woman is, but wasn't there just a thread about how amazing it is she is in the game?

#23 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@believer258: Two different mediums mate. Movies I have no control over the interaction while games offer a level of control over the story. That's one of the main arguments movie critics use when explaining why games are not art.However, you are right none the less. I have a hard time getting absorbed into movies. very rarely does an actor truly disappears to me as it is my firm belief that fundamentally every actor, no matter which role they play, play themselves.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@believer258: Two different mediums mate. Movies I have no control over the interaction while games offer a level of control over the story. That's one of the main arguments movie critics use when explaining why games are not art.However, you are right none the less. I have a hard time getting absorbed into movies. very rarely does an actor truly disappears to me as it is my form belief that fundamentally every actor, no matter which role they play, play themselves.

(This might knock the thread WAY off track, but I feel it needs to be said now)

You say that "every actor, no matter which role he plays, play themselves"? By this, are you saying that true role playing is impossible? If that is so, and actors can only be themselves on and off screen, then you can't really role play in a role playing game anyway. If it's impossible for actors to be someone else on screen, then how is it possible for you to be someone else in game?

#25 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Mordukai said:

@believer258: Two different mediums mate. Movies I have no control over the interaction while games offer a level of control over the story. That's one of the main arguments movie critics use when explaining why games are not art.However, you are right none the less. I have a hard time getting absorbed into movies. very rarely does an actor truly disappears to me as it is my form belief that fundamentally every actor, no matter which role they play, play themselves.

You say that "every actor, no matter which role he plays, play themselves"? By this, are you saying that true role playing is impossible? If that is so, and actors can only be themselves on and off screen, then you can't really role play in a role playing game anyway. If it's impossible for actors to be someone else on screen, then how is it possible for you to be someone else in game?

Precisely.

#26 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

So were those leaked rumours that apparently butcher the story and negate past choices made in the previous games true?

#27 Posted by streetninja (152 posts) -

I find all the worry over the new cast kind of dumb. Wait and see how they preformed before you press the panic button. Now, I do think the addition of Chobot is pandering, but that isn't new to gaming.

#28 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Sooty said:

So were those leaked rumours that apparently butcher the story and negate past choices made in the previous games true?

weren't rumors, they were leaks.

#29 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@believer258 said:

@Mordukai said:

Precisely.

must suck to be you then if you can't enjoy TV shows or movies.

#30 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

The voice cast doesn't bother me, but some of the story leaks and apprehension surrounding this release have made me cautious of this release. I learned my lesson from Dragon Age 2s' lead up to release. If a game starts to look like it might not be for you, wait to redeem your preorder and look for reviews.

@Sooty: We're still not 100% sure, but I fell like it's going to end up that way.

#31 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -
@david3cm said:

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with who this Jessica Chobot woman is, but wasn't there just a thread about how amazing it is she is in the game?

I believe there was a thread that said the opposite.
#32 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@stryker1121: This trend Bioware seem to be picking up where they use gaming industry e-lebrities likeness and voice in their games, as apposed to using real scifi icons, to show us how cool and hip they are and to use as cheap PR. It started with god awful promotional videos for DA2 with Felicia Day resulting her character getting to actually be in the damn game and onto Chobot in ME3. Just go to IMDB and do a search for past Bioware games and see the names that pop up.

#33 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Everyone seems annoyed by this but we're probably in the minority. I was part of a focus test for a game a few years ago ($100 to talk about games for an hour? sure!) that consisted of me and 7 late teens dudebros. The guy running the panel asked if we'd play a game with a female lead. Some of the guys weren't sure. At this point we had no idea what the game was. We were asked what we wanted out of a female character and I explained that I wanted someone more like Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. You know, someone with some personality who might be fun to play as, not just some near-naked ridiculously portioned sex fantasy of a woman.

It was at this point that they passed around some concept art of the female lead they were working on. In one image she was wearing the equivalent of two belts. In another she was wearing a fur loin cloth and bikini top that were probably made from about three small squirrels. The other guys in the panel loved it. When you wonder how James Vega was created and why Jessica Chobot was added it's probably something similar. I've done work with that marketing research company before. Usually the other participants that qualified along side me were young professional types. But, for a videogame, that's not whose opinions they were getting.

#34 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

People are really losing perspective on this Mass Effect stuff.

#35 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

@david3cm:

#36 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

@Mordukai said:

@believer258 said:

@Mordukai said:

Precisely.

must suck to be you then if you can't enjoy TV shows or movies.

I don't recall ever saying that I don't enjoy movies and TV shows. I watch them. I enjoy the story, if it's any good. I enjoy the character interaction and character study they offer but as I've said before. Rarely does and actor truly disappears. Further more if you go to acting schools and ask that very question or make the claim I made there's won't be many teachers who will disagree with you. I am rather sure that if any acting teacher disagrees with you on that subject then you should not study under them as using personal traits and experiences are essential to to every actor who want to create a believable character.

#37 Posted by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@stryker1121: This trend Bioware seem to be picking up where they use gaming industry e-lebrities likeness and voice in their games, as apposed to using real scifi icons, to show us how cool and hip they are and to use as cheap PR. It started with god awful promotional videos for DA2 with Felicia Day resulting her character getting to actually be in the damn game and onto Chobot in ME3. Just go to IMDB and do a search for past Bioware games and see the names that pop up.

I guess I fail to understand how having Chobot in a small part would impact your enjoyment of the overall game. My problem w/ Bioware/EA is how they're trying to make ME3 all things to all people through a bunch of different design decisions and a shift in tone starting in ME2. Maybe having gaming industry "celebrities" as voice actors is part and parcel of that overall issue, but if ME3 can bring back the epic feeling of ME1, along with some deeper RPG mechanics and a multiplayer feature I can safely ignore, then who does the voice work is irrelevant.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@believer258 said:

@Mordukai said:

Precisely.

Ah, but that is not so at all. I spent hours on Oblivion role playing as a murderous Dark Brotherhood bastard who slaughters whenever he feels like it. In real life, I won't do that. Ask anyone who attempts to role play in their role playing games, and they will tell you the same. This isn't even getting to the roles played in tabletop RPG's.

For another example, when an author writes a story they have to empathize and understand someone or something else, otherwise every character would just be an author avatar. You don't really think that Stephen King made up Carrie as an avatar of himself, do you? Or that J.R.R. Tolkien was showing both Gandalf and Samwise Gamgee as avatars of himself? Granted, this isn't exactly role playing, but it is an interpretation of a character. Actors do this same thing.

You do have a point that an actors' own ideas and beliefs might influence their interpretation of a particular character. This is why Jack Sparrow as played by Jeff Goldblum would have been vastly different (and inferior) to Johnny Depp's portrayal of it. But realize that this is only an influence, and not at all the person himself on screen. Jack Sparrow and Johnny Depp are not the same person.

#39 Posted by AndrewB (7587 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

What I don't understand is why everyone hates Jacob Taylor. He was... kinda boring, but nothing offensive or anything.

Fuck everyone who hated Jacob. I loved Jacob. I felt like Miranda was the boring one.

#40 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Why do bioware games always go sideways at a point.

#41 Posted by c0kemusheen (64 posts) -

God I hope Bioware doesn't "dragon age 2" mass effect 3.

#42 Edited by Chtasm (448 posts) -

I'm feeling apprehensive. Having the same experience I had during DA2's pre-release.

#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

All this preconceived notions about ME3 because of DA2, seems unfair

#44 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Dany said:
Golden rule in the videogame industry: You're only as good as your last game. I'm sure that if ME3 turns out awesome, the massive bioware backlash that has erupted from DA2's release will cool down a bit.
#45 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
 Come at him, bro
#46 Edited by Chtasm (448 posts) -

@Dany said:

Not saying I want to judge ME3 before it's released, but as a consumer, I should base my purchase on previous products sold by a company. DA2 was not what I was expecting, but I loved DA:O, so I am a little wary.

#47 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -

Guys, remember when Dragon Age: Origins was gonna be the most XTREEEEEEEME, bloody, sell-out RPG of all time? This is like when that exact thing happened. Remember? When those trailers came out and they were 100% indicative of every beat and every moment in a game and they weren't just highlighting action to try and appeal to as broad a base as possible? This is EXACTLY like that.

#48 Posted by N7 (3585 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

Guys, remember when Dragon Age: Origins was gonna be the most XTREEEEEEEME, bloody, sell-out RPG of all time? This is like when that exact thing happened. Remember? When those trailers came out and they were 100% indicative of every beat and every moment in a game and they weren't just highlighting action to try and appeal to as broad a base as possible? This is EXACTLY like that.

You're trying to introduce logic to people who appear to have gone without it their entire life.

It would be easier to teach a chicken to shoot laser beams out of its ass.
#49 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Chtasm: Dragon Age isnt Mass Effect. They are different games made by different people.

#50 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.