Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

ME3 dlc, buy before finishing game?

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AURON570

Quick question about mass effect 3 DLC, I plan on buying From Ashes and Leviathan, now I just need to know: do I buy the dlc before I finish my playthrough of the game? Should I wait until I'm near the end of the game then buy it and do it all at once?

edit: alright thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I'm going to buy the DLC this weekend or next hopefully seeing as I'm almost half way through the game right now.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Carryboy

Buy before 100%

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tomkang

From ashes was day one dlc, so most people played it during their first playthrough as it added a squad member. I believe Leviathan is for end game.

mattgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattgriffin

Judging by what Brad said about Leviathan in the GOTY 2012 stuff, you should definitely include Leviathan in your first go. Apparently it factors into the story quite a bit and adds something substantial as far as narrative goes.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cashbasket

Definitely play Leviathan before you finish the game. I played it about halfway through, and it reeeeeally enhanced the storyline.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

Play Leviathan whenever as long as it's before the end of the game, this is critical.

Play From Ashes as quickly as possible as you get a new squad mate. I would downplay his importance a bit compared to what Brad was saying but having him around for most of the game is still best. From Ashes is the mission on Eden Prime that show up on the galaxy map. The game doesn't exactly go out of it's way to tell you about it.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Buy it before for sure. Much better experience to have it incorporated into the main game.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By onan

@mattgriffin said:

Judging by what Brad said about Leviathan in the GOTY 2012 stuff, you should definitely include Leviathan in your first go. Apparently it factors into the story quite a bit and adds something substantial as far as narrative goes.

If by substantial, you mean it adds foreshadowing, context, and all of those things writers do so that the ending of a story makes any sort of logical consistency with the rest of a story at all, then yes.

Of course, that also means you miss out on all of the righteous indignation the rest of us had when the game was released in an unfinished state and in doing so miss out on the camaraderie... although that might get supplemented by the shock at realizing you just paid extra for something you couldn't fathom Bioware being able to tell the story without.

I really liked From Ashes, but it came with my Collector's Edition so I didn't have to decide to buy it. In retrospect, I probably would have been disgusted that was a paid add-on as well of some very core lore content.

The only real "add-on" content so far has been the Omega stuff, and it doesn't feel like just a cash grab. It's a side story. The rest is all kind of gross (not counting free multiplayer DLC)

nathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By nathos

I would play "From Ashes" right away. Getting Javik early on is great.

I'd save "Leviathan" until after you play the mission on Thessia (very minor spoiler), which makes it pretty close to the end of the game. Omega is okay, but nothing spectacular. Story-wise, I'd wait until after you help Aria unite the gangs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.