Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Metacritic user reviews for Mass Effect 3

• 75 results
    coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By coolarman

I have yet to play ME3 but i do plan on playing it regardless of what Jeff's or any other people's review says

But the game is just getting shit on by metacritic users. I realize that it is peoples opinion if they don't like it, but all the user reviews make it sound as if they want this game to be the worst thing since 9/11. Some of the reviews make it sound that the person didn't even play it at all.

So I ask you all. Do you think this is crazy or valid?????

P.S. Here is the link to Metacritic for all who want to see what the users are saying. link

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

They haven't played it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

Of course they haven't played it. This crap has been going on for years. These people are idiots. This is one reason not to read or believe in many user reviews.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Bioware getting so much hate lately, no way that many people played through the game in 1 day and hated it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Coolarman said:

I have yet to play ME3 but i do plan on playing it regardless of what Jeff's or any other people's review says

But the game is just getting shit on by metacritic users. I realize that it is peoples opinion if they don't like it, but all the user reviews make it sound as if they want this game to be the worst thing since 9/11. Some of the reviews make it sound that the person didn't even play it at all.

So I ask you all. Do you think this is crazy or valid?????

P.S. Here is the link to Metacritic for all who want to see what the users are saying. link

First issue is that your taking metacritic serious. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

it's a planned attack to bring the game's rating down.  Probably peeps who were mad about day 1 DLC or the homosexuality added to the game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I read the plot and watched tons of videos all day. As a fan of the fiction, they completely screwed it up. But if you prefer the combat of ME2 then apparently it's pretty good in this one. I'm not getting it at full price (waiting for a GOTY edition with all that controversial DLC bundled, so I won't have to pay extra for what should have been on the disc), but it's your call.

I think it's pretty valid seeing as how so many fans were told from Mass Effect 1 when it was released that the games would become these complex stories involving your choices and each story wouldn't be the same. They have completely done away with that in favor of bringing in the new crowd, and I think that's why a lot of the user reviews are bad - fans feel betrayed. Rightfully so, I say.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Justin258

After five hours in, it's fucking nuts. I was worried. In fact, I was *this* close to canceling my pre-order, picking up Battlefield 3, and forgetting about the series altogether. But I stuck through and I'm glad I did. The writing in the beginning, when he's telling the council that his plan is to survive, is really cheesy. But it's far better after that. Mass Effect has always had a small hint of cheese to it anyway, so right now it's been par for the course and great for it.

Of course there are still honest reasons for not enjoying the game. Sometimes the controls don't do exactly what I tell them to, some of the combat still doesn't hold up as well as Bioware wants it to, and it's not perfect. Initial impressions say that Jeff's review is right on the money. But any motherfucker who just jumps on to hate this game for no real reason needs better things to do with their lives.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By algertman

Wonder how many of those perfect score reviews are by people who've played it? That's right probably none.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

A lot of the people have watched pirated/early release streams and don't mind filling their 'reviews' with spoilers. Just avoid them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@xyzygy

I read the plot and watched tons of videos all day. As a fan of the fiction, they completely screwed it up.

Might I ask how it screwed it up? With as few spoilers as possible, please. I haven't come across any screw ups yet in my short playtime.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

In their defense I'm not sure all of the reviewers played the game either.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TentPole

@LordXavierBritish: You go too far.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joeyoe31

Some of the things the "trolls" are pointing out are valid. Like how the game jumped ship from a WRPG to a Third Person Shooter over the course of 3 games. Or the homosexual romance is extremely forced. Or the writing is some of Biowares worst. Or that the game is just generally unpolished with bad animations and stolen stock photos used in cutscenes and other important scenes.

It's really up to you. From what I've seen so far though, I don't think I'll be purchasing it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

@believer258 said:

@xyzygy

I read the plot and watched tons of videos all day. As a fan of the fiction, they completely screwed it up.

Might I ask how it screwed it up? With as few spoilers as possible, please. I haven't come across any screw ups yet in my short playtime.

It's very spoiler filled. Very. I actually don't think I can do it without spoiling it, so go play it!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

Kotaku reported earlier today that Metacritic is having to clamp down on a purposeful spam effort on Mass Effect 3 by people signing up for tons of accounts and making Mass Effect 3 the one thing that they have reviewed(and the same person reviewing PS3, 360, and PC versions). It seems to be a rather coordinated effort, but fortunately, the people at Metacritic seem to be trying to resolve it as quickly as they can.

http://kotaku.com/5891060/metacritic-says-it-removed-rule+violating-mass-effect-3-user-reviews

Now, that doesn't say anything about the actual quality of the game(though, I trust Jeff's opinion), but there is definitely an effort on Metacritic to destroy the game and make it seem like Pol Pot designed the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly crazy.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Joeyoe31 said:

Some of the things the "trolls" are pointing out are valid. Like how the game jumped ship from a WRPG to a Third Person Shooter over the course of 3 games. Or the homosexual romance is extremely forced. Or the writing is some of Biowares worst. Or that the game is just generally unpolished with bad animations and stolen stock photos used in cutscenes and other important scenes.

It's really up to you. From what I've seen so far though, I don't think I'll be purchasing it.

Yeah they're really making valid, intelligent sounding points on that front:

"The game is very boring and ugly and horrible graphics! the plot is boring and predictable, and do not cause character's empathy and emotions. Male Shepard gay scene is shoking!!"

"Horrible game. Don't listen to the Biodrones. Worst ending in the history of videogames. Also; not wanting to be approched for gaysex every 10minutes doesn't make me a homophobe. I'd be totally happy with a "I'M NOT GAY" setting in the option screen."

"This game is terribad. It's littered with bad, gay romance scenes, and it has the worst ending ever. Shame on BioWare for betraying us all. They will not fool me again."

"Good looking game, but a disappointment in everything else, from the lack of core characters for no reason to the impossibly stupid ending. Little to no RPG elements and shore-horned Shepard homolust."

"HERE WE GO AGAIN!! I have 2 major issues here: 1. The game has gone the way of Dragon Age. This is another pathetic Bioware game. I used to love this company and was excited when a new game was being released. I actually feel robbed AND DECEIVED! In lieu of good writing and programming, Bioware figured let's make the hero homosexual now in stark contrast to the first 2 games where he was normal. What's next, a pedophile for a hero [EDIT: emphasis my own]? I don't want this forced on me because of a lack of creativity by the developers. There should have been a warning. I preordered the collectors edition no less! Also, I have never seen the quality of graphics actually decline in a game series. AND: check out the 10's given, 1 or 2 reviews only. This is exactly what Bioware got caught doing for Dragon Age 2. I have no doubt this is happening now. What a tragic end of a once great company and game!!"

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FritzDude

While people are bashing each other on metacritic with scores I'm enjoying myself with a good game and story.

*Opening a can of soda*

Cheers.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandude

They need to offset the high scores given to it by professionals. When you average the professional and user reviews, you get the score the game actually deserves.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By jakob187

User reviews are virtually meaningless.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By fox01313

Metacritic is a joke of a site which is probably still flooded with fake user reviews from either people working in the industry to boost it up (hope there's not many of these left) or malicious game playing people who have too much time on their hands so they flood the site with bad reviews on a game that they are unhappy with. Honestly wish people (and steam btw) stopped paying attention to that site & went with something like gamerankings instead as it's just a collected score of the reviews given to a game from game journalistic sites & magazines, getting rid of that whole silly user review thing that just screws up the scores if anyone wants a quick look at some game to see how it's reviewing across many sites.

potatomash3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By potatomash3r

I think its bias both ways. Its either a 10 or 0.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tunaburn

im not to far in the game. but im loving it. people are cry babies

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By coolarman

@jakob187 said:

User reviews are virtually meaningless.

I agree its just that for weeks now this whole bioware hate i think has gotten out of hand. And i think that these user reviews is a summation of what has been going on with all the hate directed towards bioware. I wonder what will happen when the actual bioware team (assuming that there will be one by the end of the year) makes a new game Mass Effect or otherwise, will this level of hate occur again.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By sickVisionz

User reviews are worthless. People actually organize to make them low for reasons that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coolarman said:

I wonder what will happen when the actual bioware team (assuming that there will be one by the end of the year) makes a new game Mass Effect or otherwise, will this level of hate occur again.

Instinctively I'd probably say it wouldn't be this dramatic. Mass Effect 3 is sort of the game for them. I mean, Star Wars was the game financially, but it isn't their baby. It isn't their creation, and The Old Republic isn't the reason they have the following they do.

You could argue Knights of the Old Republic was their golden ticket, but that only got the ball rolling. Mass Effect was their hit, created and fostered internally and received with almost universal praise. Mass Effect 2 made a bigger splash on a grander scale, but alienated some of the fanbase that'd clung to the belly of the Mass Effect mythos. It was only a flesh wound, though, if you'll pardon the expression, and they had an opportunity to reclaim some of that group with the third entry.

Between Dragon Age II, which was more or less reviled by the strident internet gaming community, and the general disorder surrounding The Old Republic, the seed for this backlash had been planted.

All in all, it was kind of a perfect storm for Bioware in the worst possible way. Mass Effect 3 is getting a serious shakedown, but really this is the reverse of one of those Lifetime Achievement awards. This is the sound of repulsion, of a fractured following throwing stones at its once-revered savior.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mandude
    @sickVisionz said:

User reviews are worthless.

I dunno about that. I find that professional reviews are helpful for highlighting what's actually in the game, but beyond that they're pretty biased for whatever reason. Rarely will a game in a popular series get a negative review. User reviews are a bit more honest, even if they sometimes make less sense. I mean...Dragon Age 2 got pretty good reviews, and whether you liked it or not, you can't argue that the professional reviews reflected what gamers as a whole felt about it.
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Deranged

@NTM said:

Of course they haven't played it. This crap has been going on for years. These people are idiots. This is one reason not to read or believe in many user reviews.

scerviche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scerviche

Mass Effect was great, a fun RPG. Mass Effect 2 was a shitty 3rd person shooter. Not even going to bother with ME 3, its not even an RPG any more.

Also, looking how shitty swtor turned out, I will not buy bioware games unless they are crazy good.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By qawsed

The user review is so low that I just instantly write it off. "Oh yeah, crazy people." Same goes for user reviews of most console-to-PC ports (DRM FOV DX11 RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE).

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

There are a looooooooot of people who have no lives.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By stryker1121

The latest CoD got the same metacritic treatment from idiots spamming zeroes. The Internet is so friggin dumb sometimes..

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Brendan

Dude, just don't read user reviews. Don't give those people the respect they don't deserve by even mentioning them.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Skald

Metacritic!

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Cataphract1014

@scerviche said:

Mass Effect was great, a fun RPG. Mass Effect 2 was a shitty 3rd person shooter. Not even going to bother with ME 3, its not even an RPG any more.

Also, looking how shitty swtor turned out, I will not buy bioware games unless they are crazy good.

What makes an RPG an RPG? Numbers? Stat based combat? I don't get it.

And by the way, SWToR is anything but shitty. It ain't perfect, but I am having fun with it. Keep on riding that Bioware hate train. Call me a biodrone or whatever it is the cool internet kids say these days.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Etnos

@Joeyoe31 said:

Is by no means a 4.5/10 game.. Anyways following the same oversimplification logic: It is most likely metacritic trolls are just poor losers whiling to jump into the hate wagon, so they can feel better about not being able to pay 60 for a game.

Same poor reasoning pirates use to justify piracy and so on..

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By grilledcheez

I thought I was going to hate it beforehand...then I played it and it's really good so far.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By phish09

It just sucks that these guys at Bioware have put the last decade or so into this franchise and making this huge epic adventure and it just gets shit on by a bunch of butthurt fanboys who haven't even played the game. I don't even understand why they have a "user rating" on metacritic.

Anyway...why is my Mass Effect not here yet?! G'ah!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Red

Yeah, Metacritic user reviews have always and will always be awful. Regardless, I've been loving the game so far. It isn't perfect, and delves into cheese every once in a while, but it's still a grand time. My pre-release doubts have completely washed away.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Three0neFive

@jakob187 said:

reviews are meaningless.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Bwast

User reviews are really, really important. I take them incredibly seriously and anyone with a brain will take a long look at those countless eloquent reviews and think hard before deciding to buy the game or not.

Just take this thoughtful review from a user: "What the he were they thinking? putting gay scenes into video games? If i wanted political messages, id watch the news. I do NOT want games becoming yet another medium for propaganda. 0/10"

Sexual orientation is political. Don't let Obama tell you different.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#43  Edited By Grumbel
    @xyzygy said:

I think it's pretty valid seeing as how so many fans were told from Mass Effect 1 when it was released that the games would become these complex stories involving your choices and each story wouldn't be the same.

Mass Effect has always had a predefined story and pretty much no freedom. All you could chose is be an asshole while saving the world. The final outcome was still pretty much always the same or if not, it never really mattered much, has whoever lived or died didn't take much part in whatever followed. I seriously don't get why people ever believe that talk when it was reflected in none of the games and it makes absolutely no sense from a developers point of view to actually follow through with that.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#44  Edited By Grumbel
    @potatomash3r said:

I think its bias both ways. Its either a 10 or 0.

The 0 score is of course meaningless as an actual review, but it tells you when something iffy is up with a game that regular reviewers didn't bother to complain about (i.e. things like problematic DRM, day-one DLC and other issues).
    Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fozimuth

What did you expect?  People gave Portal 2 bad reviews because it had cosmetic items in it at launch.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StrikeALight

Hell hath no fury, like an internet nerd scorned.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By pweidman

It's hate towards EA mostly. Their DLC shenanigans primarily I think. Some is towards Bioware in general too. I get it, but using metacritic to protest this game is pretty dumb. I quickly glanced at a few and it does appear that they've not played the game at all for the most part. I guarantee also, that this is getting Bioware's attention.

razeeverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By razeeverything

I think they should save themselves the extra work and remove user reviews on metacritic or not allow them till the game has been out more then a week.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cexantus

@Cataphract1014:

I'm glad someone else said it. Mass Effect has always been a third-person shooter/rpg (with emphasis on the "shootan") hybrid; yet, if you asked certain people about Mass Effect 1, they make it sound like it was some hardcore JRPG; and that Mass Effect 2's improved combat was a complete travesty. Because how dare Bioware improve the main aspect of Mass Effect's gameplay--that's just terrible!!

Basically it's a bunch of self-entitled individuals mad that EA/Bioware have slowly begun catering to the whims of the mainstream. It was cool to like ME before it got popular, bros.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By penguindust

Metacritic is only good as being a place where you can get links to full professional reviews. All the scores are largely corrupted. User reviews are always suspect on these types of sites. The same is true of Rotten Tomatoes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.