Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

My thoughts on the Mass Effect 3 'Extended Cut' endings

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By rjaylee

Just watched the "new" Mass Effect 3 endings. Given the fact that I wasn't exactly up in arms about them in the first place, even though I agreed that the literal inconsistencies were confusing and misleading, the new endings...

...are pretty good. They deal with a lot of the literal inconsistencies and are filled in nicely with a lot of things like seeing the Normandy escape Earth, and seeing where it crash landed was just a spot to land for repair, only to take off again later.

The 'Synthesis' ending still is a bit too "space magic-ish" for whatever that is worth, but it's still obviously the most harmonious and the one I actually like best because I had a strong connection to Eve's character and the plot points through the entirety of the series regarding the dissonance/harmony between humans and A.I.

The 'Destroy' ending is probably the most straight-forward. I personally didn't like it that much, but I also would have never gone down that path either. Not sure why Garrus would even remotely assume Shepard is still alive though. That part doesn't make any sense whatsoever, although if we were to believe the indoctrination theory to be true, it still makes some sense with the final scene with Shepard still surviving. I still have this gut feeling of "ugh" though, because this of course leaves everything open as a "YO DUDES MASS EFFECT 4, CATCH IT".

The 'Control' ending is probably the best ending, even if it's not the path I would have chosen. I think indoctrination theorists are going to probably think this is the most 'right' ending, possibly alongside the 'Destroy' ending.

The 'Refusal' ending is kind of dumb and unnecessary. I mean, it's alright, but it leaves the most open and doesn't address the direct inconsistencies. Maybe should of had Shepard shoot himself/herself in the head or something for an added kick. It's a little easier to see past this ending if I regarded it as some dumb Easter Egg or something.

Overall, I do like that none of these endings address the absolute truth regarding the indoctrination theory itself. Regardless of it being true or not, these endings (aside from the Refusal) still totally work and clarify a lot of the actual inconsistencies of the ending.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rjaylee

Just watched the "new" Mass Effect 3 endings. Given the fact that I wasn't exactly up in arms about them in the first place, even though I agreed that the literal inconsistencies were confusing and misleading, the new endings...

...are pretty good. They deal with a lot of the literal inconsistencies and are filled in nicely with a lot of things like seeing the Normandy escape Earth, and seeing where it crash landed was just a spot to land for repair, only to take off again later.

The 'Synthesis' ending still is a bit too "space magic-ish" for whatever that is worth, but it's still obviously the most harmonious and the one I actually like best because I had a strong connection to Eve's character and the plot points through the entirety of the series regarding the dissonance/harmony between humans and A.I.

The 'Destroy' ending is probably the most straight-forward. I personally didn't like it that much, but I also would have never gone down that path either. Not sure why Garrus would even remotely assume Shepard is still alive though. That part doesn't make any sense whatsoever, although if we were to believe the indoctrination theory to be true, it still makes some sense with the final scene with Shepard still surviving. I still have this gut feeling of "ugh" though, because this of course leaves everything open as a "YO DUDES MASS EFFECT 4, CATCH IT".

The 'Control' ending is probably the best ending, even if it's not the path I would have chosen. I think indoctrination theorists are going to probably think this is the most 'right' ending, possibly alongside the 'Destroy' ending.

The 'Refusal' ending is kind of dumb and unnecessary. I mean, it's alright, but it leaves the most open and doesn't address the direct inconsistencies. Maybe should of had Shepard shoot himself/herself in the head or something for an added kick. It's a little easier to see past this ending if I regarded it as some dumb Easter Egg or something.

Overall, I do like that none of these endings address the absolute truth regarding the indoctrination theory itself. Regardless of it being true or not, these endings (aside from the Refusal) still totally work and clarify a lot of the actual inconsistencies of the ending.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NTM

Wait... Another one? Well I'm done posting on any more of these.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By onan

Wait, what are you talking about, Garrus assumes Shepard is alive? I didn't see that at all when I played through earlier today.

Also, the new endings all unceremoniously puts the kibosh on the indoctrination theory with Hackett getting a report on the bridge and saying, "Oh, spoke too soon, someone actually got to the conduit after all." Not sure if you noticed it before making this post (Incidentally, why not just post in an existing thread?)

Indoctrination theory is dead, kaput, disproved. All for the worst, I'm afraid. Heaven forbid people get more out of your game that a superficial, face value interpretation!

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rjaylee

@onan said:

Wait, what are you talking about, Garrus assumes Shepard is alive? I didn't see that at all when I played through earlier today.

Also, the new endings all unceremoniously puts the kibosh on the indoctrination theory with Hackett getting a report on the bridge and saying, "Oh, spoke too soon, someone actually got to the conduit after all." Not sure if you noticed it before making this post (Incidentally, why not just post in an existing thread?)

Indoctrination theory is dead, kaput, disproved. All for the worst, I'm afraid. Heaven forbid people get more out of your game that a superficial, face value interpretation!

There was a scene where...

Garrus was about to put Shepard's name up onto the memorial, but then decides not to. I took that strangely I guess, as if he didn't want to believe Shepard was dead.

And no, I didn't notice Hackett getting that report. When did that happen? I also know that in error, I probably didn't need to attach this blog to the forums, as I only really intended this specific blog to be a place for my own thoughts.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By onan

@heatDrive88: It was between the part where Shepard jumps into the conduit beam and when he ends up on the Citadel. There was a new cinematic that included a Reaper grabbing and crushing an Alliance cruiser in its claw arms.

I'm guessing you had Garrus as a love interest? Liara put my name up (ha, name. "Commander Shepard," they couldn't even put my character's first name up on a text plaque) and ran her fingers over it.

Also, no need for spoiler tags, this is a thread about the endings, that's warning enough.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By AngelN7

As for the plaque thing and the dialog that was going on at the moment all of my crew members seem pretty hurt by Shepard's death Hackett was talking about the sacrifices made in other to win the war , Ashley had mine since Shepard's love interest (Tali) had already died, I saw that scene more like trying to accept the fact Shepard was dead and remembering everything he did and doing it with pride , it was really sweet I loved the EC scenes even the cheesy ' oh look Zaeed is having a drink and winking at you' almost breakfast club kinda thing but the actual cutscenes (Garrus almost dying and Shepard calling the Normandy to pick them out) were pretty heartwarming .

I didn't mind the whole indoctrination theory thing since my problems with the endings where related to Shepard not being able to talk to the Catalyst to understand everything he laid out to Shepard , he was asking why? and how? along with me that was all I wanted plus the state of the universe after the war wich they showed ( The Genophage cured , The Krogans gearing up for war since Wrex and Eve where dead, Ranoch deserted most of the Quarians dead ect) I was satisfied with the content ... now Shepard does the breathing thing at end what does that mean?!.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.