Omega is out today. What are your impressions?

• 67 results
#51 Edited by Roger778 (957 posts) -

As much as I love the Mass Effect trilogy, I just finished a playthrough of the three games back-to-back that lasted about a month or two, and with some additional content installed (Lair of the Shadow Broker was pretty awesome). I was satisfied, and because of that, I feel like I'm done with Mass Effect for the year.

I'll start a new playthrough of all three games next year, and I will also download Omega too. It sounds like an awesome DLC, though. The chance to fight with Aria excites me.

#52 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

You want my thoughts on the new ME3 DLC?

FUCK YOU BIOWARE YOU AREN'T GETTING A CENT FROM ME EVER AGAIN! I HOPE YOU BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND! AND THEN POST THE ASHES TO ME SO I CAN PISS ON THEM!

Looks like the GameSpot community is starting to leak in here guys, batten down the hatches.

#53 Posted by KainCarver (116 posts) -

It's $23.95 on the Australian PS3 network.

Fuck. That.

#54 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@smcn said:

It's not bad. Aria's VA continues to be hit or miss. Flare kicks ass but the cooldown is too long for it to be very useful on Shepard. Since it's really just meant to finish up the story of Mass Effect: Invasion it doesn't tie in with the rest of the story as well as Leviathan does. It could have just as easily been a separate story accessed from the main menu where you play as Aria, not involving Shepard at all.

Probably my biggest gripe is that not only can't you go back to Omega after you finish it, the Omega Nebula doesn't even show up on your galaxy map. Also, I kept expecting the reveal that General Petrovsky's chess game is against Traynor. Oh well, Into my headcanon you go!

I disagree. I think Carrie-Anne Moss as Aria is incredible. I haven't played Omega yet, but I liked what I heard in ME2 and ME3.

Omega only has one rule...

#55 Posted by Zirilius (608 posts) -

It's my second favorite Mass Effect DLC that has been put out (second to Shadow Broker). Yes it's action but you get a little more insight of what Omega actually means to Aria. Nyreen is moderately interesting and Oleg makes for a half-decent bad guy. The only downside is they had some potential to go further with some of the Oleg stuff and didn't.

I'd recommend it if you want more Mass Effect. The quality of it was enough to make me want to try Levithan now and I previously had no desire to for that.

#56 Posted by Brodehouse (9793 posts) -

It's not _bad_ in any way.

But fifteen dollars? Dude. That's a quarter of the price for a full game. And this wasn't a full game worth of stuff. And I realize it has to be that price because only about 10% of people who buy games ever buy the DLC. But it's just a shit value proposition.

You know what could've made this better? If they had referenced even a single decision Shepard had made. Lair of the Shadow Broker has tons of special dialogue based on previous flags, Omega has zilch. This is way closer to Overlord in terms of content, and yet costs twice the price.

I feel like DLC episodes just can't equal up to the value proposition you get with retail games, and will always be this weird ghetto for people who need everything (like collectors editions). The market for DLC is low, and thus the budgets for DLC has to be low, and thus the value of DLC is low. I don't know how to fix it.

#57 Posted by Bumpton (444 posts) -

@KevinK said:

I disagree. I think Carrie-Anne Moss as Aria is incredible. I haven't played Omega yet, but I liked what I heard in ME2 and ME3.

I thought she was pretty good too... until this DLC. There is what's supposed to be an epic and rousing speech from her and it just falls incredibly flat. It was a bummer.

#58 Posted by smcn (917 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

It's not _bad_ in any way. But fifteen dollars? Dude. That's a quarter of the price for a full game. And this wasn't a full game worth of stuff. And I realize it has to be that price because only about 10% of people who buy games ever buy the DLC. But it's just a shit value proposition.

Unless the value proposition is "Do you want more Mass Effect stuff?".

@Bumpton said:

@KevinK said:

I thought she was pretty good too... until this DLC. There is what's supposed to be an epic and rousing speech from her and it just falls incredibly flat. It was a bummer.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, in short lines she's good, Mass Effect 2 she was good, but as a main character there are just some mannerisms she has (pausing & inflection changes) that are offputting. But overall it didn't have that much of an effect on my enjoyment.

#59 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

I guess I'll reserve further judgement until I'll play Omega then. That would be really disappointing if she phoned it in for the DLC.

#60 Edited by Zirilius (608 posts) -

@smcn said:

@Brodehouse said:

It's not _bad_ in any way. But fifteen dollars? Dude. That's a quarter of the price for a full game. And this wasn't a full game worth of stuff. And I realize it has to be that price because only about 10% of people who buy games ever buy the DLC. But it's just a shit value proposition.

Unless the value proposition is "Do you want more Mass Effect stuff?".

@Bumpton said:

@KevinK said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, in short lines she's good, Mass Effect 2 she was good, but as a main character there are just some mannerisms she has (pausing & inflection changes) that are offputting. But overall it didn't have that much of an effect on my enjoyment.

Value is all dependent on the buyer. I found my 15 bucks to be well spent for 3-4 hours of content that I enjoyed playing.

The dialog isn't great but it's not Two Worlds bad either. Other than the speech I thought it was fairly decent.

#61 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

If I'm sitting on a save that happens right before you trigger the "final mission," would I be able to begin Leviathan/Omega? I don't really want to play through the first bit again just to get to the DLC.

#62 Posted by Zirilius (608 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

If I'm sitting on a save that happens right before you trigger the "final mission," would I be able to begin Leviathan/Omega? I don't really want to play through the first bit again just to get to the DLC.

As long as you aren't on your way to Earth's final conflict you should be able too.

#63 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

Yeah, I believe the mission that's called Priority: Cerberus Headquarters is the start of the "the endgame is here so you can't roam around the galaxy anymore" thing.

#64 Posted by Veektarius (4750 posts) -

As a straight game for dollar proposition, I don't think that Omega would have been a bad proposition if it hadn't been for the fact that I didn't care. And I'm not one of these people who are saying "Oh, more mass effect, le sigh, I am done with le franchise." I simply didn't care about helping Aria take Omega back. I would say that I'd chalk 60% of this up to bad voice acting - and not just from her, but the Turian doesn't deserve any awards, either.

The other 40% is due to poor plotting.

You're supposed to want to free the people of Omega even if you don't care about helping Aria, but you're given no evidence of whether things are actually any worse for them, and then offhanded remarks make the Cerberus general out to be a decent, honorable guy. But then you get all kinds of conflicting information with that presentation, because of his involvement in these crazy experiments, and you never get any halfway decent explanation of why he's working with the Illusive Man when he apparently has not been indoctrinated. I probably still liked him better than Aria, however, so I was a little disappointed I didn't get the chance to kill her and leave him in charge of Omega, but working for me.
#65 Edited by altairre (1175 posts) -

Playing Omega I realized how much I still like playing Mass Effect. I also liked the whole "let's take this station back step after step" approach eventhough it's not a very original scenario. The character work was decent and I appreciated how they didn't portray the general as the typical Cerberus dick but the one thing I was disappointed in was that Cerberus was conducting crazy moronic experiments again. Because something has to be evil as fuck apparently. For me it was worth it but you really have to be down to play some more Mass Effect 3 and shoot some more dudes. The bonus powers are pretty fun too, especially flare.

#66 Posted by DoctorTran (1549 posts) -

No new achievements? Bummer.

#67 Posted by Rebel_Scum (677 posts) -

Too much combat, dull scenery. I didn't really like this dlc. Leviathan was much better. Is there any more dlc coming out?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.