Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

One disc

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Divina_Rex

"The whole game will, he also confirmed, come on a single disk, which is good news for the few of you who seem to have an unhinged hatred for disc-swapping." -source

So people say that with this one disc thing content has most likely been cut. Would this be true, or did they figure out a way to fit the multiplayer and singleplayer on one disc?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vorbis

Multiplayer is just a wave based survival mode, can't see it taking up that much space.

However it's kind of worrying considering the other games had multiple discs for the singleplayer, let's just hope they aren't taking this "it's a shooter" thing too seriously and just give us a 15hour campaign.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

They probably just got rid of the single player all together, its obviously a multiplayer focused game.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Vorbis:

Mass Effect was just one disk, I assume ME2 was on two because of pre-rendered stuff.

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Etaber

They could also be using Microsoft's new disk format which provides an extra gig or so. I'm guessing multiplayer will reuse art from the single player so it would take up almost zero space.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrockNRolla

Worrisome...

All I want is for Mass Effect 3 to continue the amazing story arch and ideology of Mass Effect 2. There was no reason for them to break it, right? RIGHT!? But seriously, after Dragon Age 2, I'm genuinely worried that someone at Bioware might be asleep at the wheel. I'm terrified and thrilled at the thought of Mass Effect 3. No other way to put it.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

@BrockNRolla said:

Worrisome...

All I want is for Mass Effect 3 to continue the amazing story arch and ideology of Mass Effect 2. There was no reason for them to break it, right? RIGHT!? But seriously, after Dragon Age 2, I'm genuinely worried that someone at Bioware might be asleep at the wheel. I'm terrified and thrilled at the thought of Mass Effect 3. No other way to put it.

It's less someone's asleep behind it and more hamburger helper is driving the wheel.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CptChiken
    @Hitchenson said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Worrisome...

It's less someone's asleep behind it and more hamburger helper is driving the wheel.

Dear god i hope that Mass effect 3 isnt a steaming pile of shite like DA2.
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Hitchenson said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Worrisome...

So terribly accurate.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dave_442

Mass Effect came on a single disc and was plenty long and plenty awesome. Don't worry about it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dany

I'd consider Mass Effect 1 a larger game and that was one disc...whatever. Don't get your panties in a bunch

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By danielkempster

The way I see it, Mass Effect 3 is the end of a trilogy. As a result, it's going to be tying up a lot of loose ends, and presumably not creating too many new ones (if any). By contrast, Mass Effect 2 was both tying up loose ends from the original Mass Effect and setting up new ones for ME3 to follow on from. It therefore follows that there probably won't be anywhere near as many possible choice branchings in ME3 as there were in ME2, so it makes sense to me that the game will take up less disc space.

Multiple discs equals the 'inconvenience' of swapping, while a single disc automatically means cut content. Are gamers ever pleased with anything anymore?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehexeditor

Mass Effect has turned into something utterly fucking disappointing with this third installment.

I remember the first one and though it wasn't an amazing game, the promise behind its RPG mechanics, story, and world made me a fan.

Then two came out. It was a great experience, though one could say that the seeds for what Bioware were planning for 3 were planted there.

Now it's a fucking "We want Call of Duty's Audience" type of game with bullshit writing and little to no RPG elements.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By RuthLoose

Compression. Techniques to get more out of the format always evolves throughout the course of a generation. I have no clue where this idea that 1 disc always means less content. We should be thankful they aren't requiring a massive HD textures download in order to even play the game at a desireable level of attractiveness.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Andorski

@thehexeditor said:

Mass Effect has turned into something utterly fucking disappointing with this third installment.

I remember the first one and though it wasn't an amazing game, the promise behind its RPG mechanics, story, and world made me a fan.

Then two came out. It was a great experience, though one could say that the seeds for what Bioware were planning for 3 were planted there.

Now it's a fucking "We want Call of Duty's Audience" type of game with bullshit writing and little to no RPG elements.

Where'd you get that impression? From what has been released, it looks like they are building in more RPG elements into ME3 from what was considered a very light RPG mechanized ME2. The level system looks more complex and they are re-introducing weapon modification.

It still doesn't look to be a full blown-out RPG in the traditional sense, but Bioware seems to be striking a good compromise between action shooter and RPG this third time around.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dany

@Andorski said:

@thehexeditor said:

Where'd you get that impression? From what has been released, it looks like they are building in more RPG elements into ME3 from what was considered a very light RPG mechanized ME2. The level system looks more complex and they are re-introducing weapon modification.

It still doesn't look to be a full blown-out RPG in the traditional sense, but Bioware seems to be striking a good compromise between action shooter and RPG this third time around.

Yeah, everything they have shown thus far seems to be improving on what ME2 lacked or didn't have.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ExplodeMode

Compression gets better all the time, right? Less discs doesn't really have to mean anything.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By rjayb89

I hope it has the same cave over and over so I don't get lost in the game.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By korwin

You know i'd be interested to see number on what kind of processor over head there is on running on the fly decompression on games, especially with the compression becoming increasingly higher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I mean look how content-poor Skyrim is on one disc. They obviously cut it down for the Call of Duty audience.

I bet it ends up being two anyway. One of the bummer things the disc-swap in ME2 did was drastically reduce the amount of missions you could do with Legion (unless you're cool having your crew die).

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

"The game will have 2 discs."

"Boo! We hate swapping discs. You guys suck!"

"Ok then, the next game will be on one disc."

"Boo! That means the game isn't as awesome as the previous one. You guys suck!"

Oh video gamers, why do I hate you so much sometimes?

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deleth

@JeanLuc said:

"The game will have 2 discs."

"Boo! We hate swapping discs. You guys suck!"

"Ok then, the next game will be on one disc."

"Boo! That means the game isn't as awesome as the previous one. You guys suck!"

Oh video gamers, why do I hate you so much sometimes?

I don't mind swapping discs at all. And seeing how they changed things between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 this isn't a good sign at all. Especially considering that they now force us to play it as multiplayer. If you really think there's no reason whatsoever to worry, how about having a good long look at Dragon Age 2 and what they did there?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Deleth:

One, nobody is forcing you to do shit.

Two, I was simply making fun of the people who think that having one disc means its going to stuck, that's all. There are plenty of other well thought out reasons why Mass Effect 3 could be disappointing, I just prefer optimism.

Three, While I think Dragon Age 2 has many flaws, I was one of those people that actually liked the game. I guess that makes me a heathen in your eyes, but I honestly don't give a shit.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deleth

@JeanLuc said:

@Deleth:

One, nobody is forcing you to do shit.

Two, I was simply making fun of the people who think that having one disc means its going to stuck, that's all. There are plenty of other well thought out reasons why Mass Effect 3 could be disappointing, I just prefer optimism.

Three, While I think Dragon Age 2 has many flaws, I was one of those people that actually liked the game. I guess that makes me a heathen in your eyes, but I honestly don't give a shit.

One, multiplayer is influencing your single player ending. Yes they are forcing people to take part in multiplayer games.

Two, there's a abundance of reasons why Mass Effect 3 might turn out horrible and very few good while it shouldn't.

Three, nah it just shows that you have no taste in games whatsoever. So you enjoyed a story which was one long kick into the groin, playing the same 3-4 locations over and over again, an absolutely blunt button smashing fighting system and over funny stuff? Did you by any chance also enjoy E.T for the Atari? Just asking!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Deleth:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-27-bioware-attempts-to-calm-mass-effect-3-multiplayer-fears

Some fans have reacted angrily to the news, and expressed concern that Mass Effect 3's multiplayer will negatively impact the traditional single-player campaign.
    Not so, according to BioWare.
    "It's a fun and novel way to increase that number and open things up by having a diverse range of experiences," Flynn explained. "At the same time, you don't need to. You can stick to the single-player campaign. I'm sure there are a lot of completists out there who want to do that. They'll have amazing experiences and they'll get to see all the cool stuff they want to see just by doing single-player stuff.
    "It's very optional. There's nothing walled off to you because you didn't play multiplayer and you're going to be running around at midnight saying, I need three friends! Quickly! We've got to find a BestBuy that's open! No. You'll get your amazing ending and amazing experiences just by playing single-player if you want that way."

And like i said before I'm optimistic. Your fine to think whatever you want.

You clearly hate Dragon Age 2 from some of your other forum posts. I'm so sorry you feel that you got burned on it, but I liked it. Why do you care so much?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @thehexeditor said:

And you know that ... how? As far as I know the game is not out yet and nobody here played it.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thehexeditor

@2HeadedNinja: There was a huge story leak and the gameplay trailers have so far been nothing but disappointing. That said, I really , really want to be proved wrong but at this point , especially with the former, I have grown bitter of them straying from their tonal roots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.