Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Optimizing Multiplayer Unlocks

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By veektarius

So I'm returning to Mass Effect 3, and as part of that, I'm working on the mutliplayer again. Now granted, I'm not that deep (level 64, or something), but I have a problem - the only gun I have past level 2 is the avenger (at level 5) and I have hardly any weapon mods. It has occurred to me that by buying the rarest equipment caches, I may be decreasing my odds of getting repeat weapons (because there are more rare weapons than anything else) and weapon mods (because they aren't rare at all). Has anyone run the numbers on this and figured out the optimal purchasing pattern for equipment? (btw, I'm buying only with credits)

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By AngelN7

Do you only play with classes that prioritise guns? (Soilder , Infiltrator , Centinel) it might help if you save some credits for the Special Specter packs while playing with builds that don't require having guns to fight like an Adept or an Engineer focus their skills in power use rather than gun use and you will have an easier time killing enemies just using your skills and a pistol, still sometimes even the specter packs don't give stuff you may find useful ( I got 2 times a widow sniper rifle wich I think isn't very good at all , is super heavy and while very powerful is only useful for a Infiltrator) , as for what you get out of packages I think is all random maybe there's a patern depending on the stuff you have but that's why is better to balance your classes so you don't depend on the random drops for that good weapon you want. My style of play is different I invest all my skill points in powers and passive skills and use just one pistol , assault rifle or shotgun that might help you gather some credits and test out if there's any patern when it comes to purchasing the packs.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pweidman

Recruit and Veteran paks if I'm reading your post right, will give base weapons lvl upgrades and mods. But really, since you have nothing but the Avenger to 5, why not just go for some of the DLC weapons instead? Your best weapons come from the add ons(and a few from challenge rewards), and you'll still get lvl upgrades along the way too. More expensive sure, but you'll want them when you venture into the gold and platinum diffs.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sjosz

Just go with Recruit Packs to begin with until you've got some of the common weapons maxed, then move to Veteran, and then move to Spectre or Premium Spectre. You will not have unlocked ultra-rare weapons/gear/characters early on that way, but it's a reliable method.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Akyho

@Veektarius said:

So I'm returning to Mass Effect 3, and as part of that, I'm working on the mutliplayer again. Now granted, I'm not that deep (level 64, or something), but I have a problem - the only gun I have past level 2 is the avenger (at level 5) and I have hardly any weapon mods. It has occurred to me that by buying the rarest equipment caches, I may be decreasing my odds of getting repeat weapons (because there are more rare weapons than anything else) and weapon mods (because they aren't rare at all). Has anyone run the numbers on this and figured out the optimal purchasing pattern for equipment? (btw, I'm buying only with credits)

This is EA's plan. They want your real money ontop of the box price. So its the long road of utter randomness...or the shorter road...of utter randomness.

To be exact its random. the boxes say such as Recruit "gives basic equipmient and a chance for an uncommon." Veteran says "Gives uncommon better chance for rare." while specter says "Guaranteed rare and maby a chance for ultra rare!"

Inbetween all that. Its random. I played as infalrator and found the mantis would reach lvl 10 quickly and be just a hair less powerfull than the window...except I have freaking powers to back me up.

Infact most of my classes I play as dont use weapons much. Just powers. Playing as a Batarian useing melee and spike shot was fun. Playing as a melee Krogan is fun.

Vorcha using his flame thrower and melee.

List goes on.

However you get stuck in a similar rut as guns. Getting them in the first place! Atleast if you get more of them its only for appearance. Cos maaaaaaaaaaaaan it is raaaaaaaaaaaaare to get more than one. Adepts femals and Solrians are the two I get most. Atleast they still put xp into the class despite doubling up.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By veektarius

@pweidman: I'm not sure I understand what you mean about DLC weapons. I think I have all of the DLC, but I haven't noticed any weapons I didn't unlock on multiplayer. Where are these things located?

@Sjosz: That makes some sense. I'll give it a go.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pweidman

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SmasheControllers

Buy Recruits 'til you max your commons than Veterans 'til you max uncommoms and PSPs from then on. It's all random so there isn't a sure fire way to do things but take it from someone who's N7 1985 and has over 400 hours played, this is the best why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah get veterans, because fhey'll give you the Phalanx. And then you're set.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By artelinarose

@Brodehouse said:

I got an arc pistol my first spectre pack. Haven't used a different weapon since.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Artemesia said:

@Brodehouse said:

I got an arc pistol my first spectre pack. Haven't used a different weapon since.

Ugh. I can't stand the Arc Pistol.

Some of the Rare/Ultra-Rares you get out of Spectres and Premiums are better out of the gate than fully-leveled standard equipment, but it can be harder to get those items if you haven't maxed out some of the earlier stuff first. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the deliberation you can make when it comes to the Mass Effect storefront. It's always going to be a shot in the dark.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HistoryInRust: Arc Pistol is now one of the best Pistols in the game.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pweidman

@SmasheControllers said:

Cuz of the nerfs to other pistols? Carnifex still worthy? I rarely play with a pistol, only as a back-up mostly.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Cuz of the nerfs to other pistols? Carnifex still worthy? I rarely play with a pistol, only as a back-up mostly.

No they buffed the Arc Pistol, Carny's still a great gun. Personally I use the Arc over Carny because it's easier to line up headshots and the Arc can go for accuracy or spray.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By veektarius

@HistoryInRust: I was getting greedy and going after rares first without stocking up my commons, but then I didn't have any mods to put on them. I wasn't sure whether my chances of getting mods were actually higher in recruit packs than specter ones, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmasheControllers said:

Oh, yeah. No, I have no argument against that. I just hate the damn thing. I really don't like any of the weapons that have to charge to max out their damage. So, you know, Graal, GPS, Arc Pistol.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By artelinarose

@HistoryInRust said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Oh, yeah. No, I have no argument against that. I just hate the damn thing. I really don't like any of the weapons that have to charge to max out their damage. So, you know, Graal, GPS, Arc Pistol.

I feel the same way, I never used them during single player. I decided to try it once I got it in multiplayer and it's not awful. It's really good, actually. Takes about a second to fully charge and I've been going through on Silver difficulty just fine with it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

@Veektarius:

I was roughly lvl 1000 when they laid on the final straw with yet another pointless redundant unlock. Two free expansions after stopping to play, I still can't get myself to punish myself anymore with this shit of theirs.

Don't do it. Stay out. There's no plan in the unlock scheme, unless you like systematic buttrape.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@Seppli: I know what you mean man, I took a break after Diablo 3 came out. But I've come back and some of the new classes are actually pretty damn fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.