PC: Modding singleplayer gets you a banning?

#1 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
#2 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
We are only taking action against players who modify their multiplayer game to gain unfair progression, unfair advantage, or affect the experience of other players.
Examples are (but not limited to):
- Increase leaderboard rating.
- Increase amount of credits received on a match.
- Increase/modify weapon/power stats.
#3 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

That oughtta learn those darnded modders. Playing god like that.

#4 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
#5 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Ocean_H said:

Was reading Thomas Abram post:

To confirm, YES you will be banned if Origin picks up that you modified SP which it scans for on ME3 launch. Locked.

Then...

He later confirmed that it only applies of it also gives you an unfair advantage in multiplayer.

#6 Posted by Kidavenger (3546 posts) -

What is the issue here, I don't understand why anyone would need to mod ME3?

What is the mod that people are supposed to be using?

#7 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Remember when PC games made the multiplayer and singleplayer portions of a game different executables? For this exact reason?

Those were the days.

#8 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Umm I modded my save to fix a bug preventing me from finishing Kasumi's quest, will I get fucked by Origin?

#9 Posted by alternate (2702 posts) -

Doesn't your single player "xp" feed in to the multiplayer and vice versa? So I imagine that is what they mean.

#10 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

What is the issue here, I don't understand why anyone would need to mod ME3?

What is the mod that people are supposed to be using?

A mod now means any modification outside of the settings parameters given inside the game's settings GUI. So correcting the console FoV to suit the close screen of a PC (which could require a range of values depending on your desk/screen situation) or editing a shadow/other renderer setting so it doesn't glitch on your hardware by editing an ini file would be examples of 'mods' (as would giving yourself infinite ammo as you preferred the ME1 system).

Obviously there should be auditing and checking code to ensure online gaming is safe from people with multiplayer affecting changes to their local copy (back when we were allowed servers then it could all be done with easy server-side checks for a lot of stuff but now P2P is the norm then it is more restricted and EA is monetising levelling up / unlocks so despite not being competitive they are obviously trying to protect their online P2P game from letting people edit their local files to give themselves all of the allowable in-game content as well as game system breaking changes) but PCs, due to their range of hardware and software, are always going to require a wider range of tweak settings exposed ('is increasing the FoV a cheat as it shows more peripheral info?' is sometimes asked. The same question can be asked of someone playing on a widescreen TV vs 4:3, where the answer is obviously that you'd be insane to limit everyone to a 4:3 view to prevent the widescreen users 'cheating' by being able to see more).

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@Gizmo said:

We are only taking action against players who modify their multiplayer game to gain unfair progression, unfair advantage, or affect the experience of other players.
Examples are (but not limited to):
- Increase leaderboard rating.
- Increase amount of credits received on a match.
- Increase/modify weapon/power stats.

Seems very fair to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.