Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

People are expecting too much from ME3

• 65 results
    wobag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wobag

I think people who expect ME3 to be much more tied to ME2 than ME2 was to the first game are setting themselves up for disappointment.

The only main characters carried over into 2 were Garrus and Tali, who were the two party members who couldnt die in ME1.  Ashley, Kaiden and Wrex all had minor roles in 2, but they could all die in 1.  Liara didnt appear in 2 because they wanted everyone to be able to die, but Liara is a character they wanted to have an arc across all three games.

Im pretty certain that any character that can die in 2 (Shepherd apart) will have a minor role in 3 at best.

I havent played Kasumi's memory, so Im not sure if she can die, if not expect a lot more of her!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I expect a macguffin in the first 10 minutes to sort all that shit out. But also, since its, like, the final game, there's no reason why they can't just include everyone. If you had more survivors, your team is bigger. But you can't take them out all at once anyway so it doesn't really matter. Its not a huge thing for them to just have some of the survivors on the ship from the beginning. They only have like 5 conversations in them anyway.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45
    @ryanwho said:
    " I expect a macguffin in the first 10 minutes to sort all that shit out. But also, since its, like, the final game, there's no reason why they can't just include everyone. If you had more survivors, your team is bigger. But you can't take them out all at once anyway so it doesn't really matter. Its not a huge thing for them to just have some of the survivors on the ship from the beginning. They only have like 5 conversations in them anyway. "
    Pretty much that. 

I don't expect many of the crew to return, and I don't really care. Personally I considered them the weakest part of ME2. There was just too many members, and the result that was I never really got to feel them, like I did with the crew in ME1 that was tighter but they were more involved. 

I fully expect not to see any of them again (at least outside of a cameo) and that's fine. 
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm expecting a great game. That's it.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrGetBonus

I expected too much from ME2 :(

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cornman89

Logistically speaking, It will be much easier for Bioware to branch out ME3's story than ME2. So I guess I'm expecting a lot, yeah. Personally I'm hoping for a "you failed, the reapers wiped out the galaxy" ending if you don't play your cards right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Truthfully I don't know what to expect from ME3. I'm certain it'll be a top quality game, but the variables for everything to do with the story, and just how it'll play and what enemies you'll fight against, I haven't put so much thought towards. Better of this way, so it'll surprise me all the more when they start announcing stuff.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " Pretty much that.  I don't expect many of the crew to return, and I don't really care. Personally I considered them the weakest part of ME2. There was just too many members, and the result that was I never really got to feel them, like I did with the crew in ME1 that was tighter but they were more involved.  I fully expect not to see any of them again (at least outside of a cameo) and that's fine.  "
    Yep. I felt there were too many crew members, as well. Then again, the mission requires a bunch of people. I'm hoping the third game will keep the crew tighter, making for more personal and in-depth conversations. 

And @wobag:  
    I'm not expecting an amazing experience, honestly. Mass Effect 1 really grabbed me. It inspired me to learn a shit-load about the universe, and made me take an Astronomy course in college. Obviously, the second game wasn't going to live up to my expectations... and it didn't. So I've learned my lesson. I'm really just expecting a good game. Really, though... it's gonna come down to one thing: TaliZorah Vas Normandy... SHOW YOURSELF!
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm amazed that anyone could consider the first game better than the second.. which I felt was a huge improvement in every single aspect.  And the first game was already rather amazing.

But unlike ME1, ME2 was designed with ME3 in mind and it's something we already know they've working on and was planned out alongside ME2.  The choices and actions, etc, should all carry over far more fluidly than they did from 1 -> 2.  Hopefully resulting in more than just emails telling us what happened previously.

I have no idea how they'll handle the characters, but considering the second game was all about putting together a team, it'd be pretty sad if that's all ignored for the third and we're left having to put together a new team.  That being said, I could see several members just being on the ship and having a few lines, not actually being proper party members.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pinworm45
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I'm amazed that anyone could consider the first game better than the second.. which I felt was a huge improvement in every single aspect.  "
    Well, personally, I definitely think ME2 is the better game. However, I think Mass Effect 1 had a better story. ME2 had a lot of dead weight in my mind. There was so many crew members, and most of the game was devoted to their little stories, but there was still so little of them that I never felt connected to any of them. As a result, even though the 'story missions' in ME2 were absolutely amazing, there was a lot of missions that felt like filler to me in ME2. Granted it did kind of come together in the end where the crew members served as gameplay choices, but still, that didn't make up for repetitive missions on the way. I really wish ME2 ditched half the crew members, spent the time on their missions on 2 or 3 more story missions related to the collectors/reapers, and then this would also allow the crew members they kept to be more involved and as such I'd have felt closer to them. 

But yeah. ME2 is a better game from a technical, gameplay and graphics standpoint. But I think ME1 had a better story. Everything in the story and events felt tighter, much like how ME2s shooting felt tighter. 

Although, one thing I will give ME2 is that the cutscenes were amazingly done. They were pretty good in ME1, but they lacked 'style' (which I don't mind, that's not a negative. it showed what was going on and that was good enough), style which ME2 had. I still occasionally watch cut scenes from ME2 and admire the cinematography. 

Overall, I think I prefer ME1. But I wasn't really disappointed by ME2, and I hope ME3 manages to be the best one.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89

I hope it's an open world game where I can have sex with whateva I want.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

ME2 created a bottleneck at both ends of the narrative to make the carryover cleaner. Considering 2's ending (as in the very last scene), they could easily force any number of characters to be dead for everyone. And considering how ME2 began, they could very easily force any number of characters to be alive for everyone.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By ptys

Bio Ware have the ambition to deliver what we're hoping, so I think there are pretty good odds It'll be great, as the foundations have already been laid. Think the question is more, how good are they able to make the Action/RPG?

Sly_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sly_Ry
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" I'm amazed that anyone could consider the first game better than the second.. which I felt was a huge improvement in every single aspect.  And the first game was already rather amazing.  But unlike ME1, ME2 was designed with ME3 in mind and it's something we already know they've working on and was planned out alongside ME2.  The choices and actions, etc, should all carry over far more fluidly than they did from 1 -> 2.  Hopefully resulting in more than just emails telling us what happened previously.  I have no idea how they'll handle the characters, but considering the second game was all about putting together a team, it'd be pretty sad if that's all ignored for the third and we're left having to put together a new team.  That being said, I could see several members just being on the ship and having a few lines, not actually being proper party members. "

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004
    Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nardak

I recommend the overlord dlc if you havent bought it yet. It is probably the best dlc that has come out of Bioware.

I wish all of the dlc´s would have the same kind of quality that Overlod has. Though "Lair of the Shadowbroker" isnt bad too
    I just think that it lacks the emotional impat that the overlord has....at least for me.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm not expecting anything at all. After Mass Effect 2, I've quit the ME series for good.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck
    @wobag said:
     The only main characters carried over into 2 were Garrus and Tali, who were the two party members who couldnt die in ME1.
    Garrus could die.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pweidman

I have no doubt ME3 will be awesome, but what I'd really like to see is a more classic sci-fi story going on like in ME1.  Back to the reaper focus I guess, and that could be the main focus considering..the DLC linkage to the ME 3 storyline.    Movement and combat will prolly be smoothed out even more, and I'd welcome as many new characters as possible, but I do agree that deeper convo options trumps number of characters.  And while I really liked Overlord, Shadowbroker was incredible, and easily Bioware's best DLC effort ever.
    BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BRich
    @Azteck:  As far as I know he couldn't die. You did have the option of never adding him to your team though.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck
    @BRich said:
    " @Azteck:  As far as I know he couldn't die. You did have the option of never adding him to your team though. "
    He died for me on my first run so I have no idea what you're on about.
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By mau64

They shouldn't have made such a badass game then.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Azteck said:
    " @BRich said:
    " @Azteck:  As far as I know he couldn't die. You did have the option of never adding him to your team though. "
    He died for me on my first run so I have no idea what you're on about. "
    Really? Were you using Garrus and Tali or something?
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't care what others are expecting out of ME3. 

I like the series and I'm sure that the third installment will be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, one of the developers at Bioware said that since they don't have to worry about carrying your decisions into a fourth game, Mass Effect 3 is going to be the game where all the shit you've been doing in the first and second games can play out in wildly different ways. So I guess I'm expecting that. 

Also, I really can't wrap my head around the idea than anyone thought the characters were better in Mass Effect 1. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

With all the different ways the story can play out Bioware have a massive job on their hands making sure everything fits together in Mass Effect 3 but to make all the Mass Effect 2 members minor characters? No, I think Bioware know that would be a big mistake. Granted, with it being possible for any and all of Mass Effect 2's crew being able to die it would be a lot easier for them if they did that but having Garrus and Tali on your crew in the second game really gave a feeling that you were connecting with some of the characters you had in the first game and with some people even more attached to the characters in Mass Effect 2 than the original Mass Effect people are seriously going to want to see at least some of their previous party carry over. Bioware have made two amazing Mass Effect games so far and I don't expect them to let us down with the third instalment.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By tourgen
    @wobag:  I expect them to fix the controls, 3d collision geometry, and the cover system.  So yeah, I'm probably setting myself up for a harsh disappointment.

I didn't like what they did to the Vanguard class in ME2 or how they dumbed down the inventory and equipment.  The new system is just so contrived and silly.  I can't buy more medigel and heavy ammo between missions? REALLY?  I'm flying around in my own starship here!  Got a mass effect warp core and everything!  I can't make that happen?!

I liked the original thermal system for the weapons.  No, it wasn't about munchkin sniper rifles either.  It was new and cool and it worked.  Heatsink clips are dumb.  One step above just clips of ammo but still dumb.

The only thing left for me in ME2 that isn't crap is the branching story.  Luckily for them it is a great story.

So my only REAL expectations for ME3 is a great story and some awesome dialog.

I know they won't be able to build 3D level geometry without glitches and holes or fix the movement and cover system.  I know they'll mess around with powers and weapons and crap all that up again. 

I like scanning planets, I like the hovercraft, and I LOVE my old Mako :/  I miss my Mako.

I'm tentatively hoping for a wildly branching story since they don't have to tie anything off after ME3 but I don't expect it.  Come on Bioware, make some of the story branches ridiculous!  Shepard and Jack get wild and go after The Illusive Man with crowbars and blow torches.  Mordin and Grunt get into shirtless fistfights on CIC deck.  Krogan civil war.  Geth take over the flotilla.  The council are all reaper plants/thralls.  Mass mayhem and planets exploding.
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edwardryu

yeah, mostly we expect ME 3 too much. we wish that it would be even better than ME 2. yes, we want. why not? I believe that Bioware will deliver the quality we want. don't you want? don't assume that they wouldn't do. you never know. until now, they have really worked hard to keep our expectation on ME 2. so far I love them. they made great game, DLC. that's why I expect more.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Glak

I'm expecting an epic conclusion to a great trilogy 
    There's nothing wrong with having expectiations 
    I expected a lot from ME2 and all of them were met and exceeded

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By megalowho

I'd expect all previous party members from both games to be in the world of ME3 if you've kept them alive. Beyond that, I'll leave it up to BioWare to decide how best to use them. Not everyone needs to be a party member to have an impact.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @BRich said:
    Really? Were you using Garrus and Tali or something? "
    Yeah. I was being really careless with who I sent where and such. I fixed that later in my Veteran run though, but I'm certain that Garrus was eaten by the flies at the end.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wickedsc3

I expect that u have to pick between the people who lived through your me1 play through and your me2 play through.  And decided to go against cerebrus with ashley and the other me1's.  Or be with miranda and cerebrus and keep me1 chars from stopping your doing something.  I think that would be sweet as i have played through both and had all live at the end of me 2 and most of my me1 chars live.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Azteck: He's talking about Mass Effect 1.  Garrus couldn't die in Mass Effect 1.
    Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nictel

It would be fun if you had to start ME3 all alone because of your actions.. :P

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ch3burashka

Cool your heels; Mirror's Edge 2 hasn't even been announced yet, let alone 3.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

no we dont.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By landon
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " Cool your heels; Mirror's Edge 2 hasn't even been announced yet, let alone 3. "
    Wut.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that they'll bring everyone from ME1 who survived back. So you'll get Liara (possibly) Ashley/Kaiden and probably Wrex. Plus at least two of your party members had to survive the suicide mission, otherwise Shepard dies. So you've got at least two people plus whoever survived, plus two from the first game, plus whoever they introduce new. I think they're perfectly capable of making your decisions from ME2 carry over just fine. I somehow doubt they're going to hype up how characters can die and then just resurrect them with some weak-ass explanation. 
    Bioware's track record thus far is pretty spotless, so I don't get where all this "Oh they don't care and they're just going to magic away everything in the third one" mentality is coming from. Besides, they also said there'd be consequences for infidelity. What better way than to bring that person into your party and have them INSTANTLY disloyal? 

@CH3BURASHKA said:

" Cool your heels; Mirror's Edge 2 hasn't even been announced yet, let alone 3. "
    HAW!
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I'll keep my high expectations. I had super high expectations for ME2, and in ways it let me down, but it was still an awesome game.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Mass Effect 2 was one of the best games ever made, but I'm still going into Mass Effect 3 with realistic expectations. And I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I have tons of expectations for this game. It's supposed the be the end of an epic trilogy, so it better be damn good. I want the ME universe to be wrapped up in a perfect ending for the series as I am so invested in the lore and and information the game gives you. It's like asking people if they were excited for "Return of the Jedi" after "Empire" albeit not to the same extent. I'm very much excited to see how the story pans out.

Who doesn't have expectations for this game? Well aside from those that don't like the games, but who really cares about those people?

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RVonE
    @Azteck said:
    " @BRich said:
    You are misremembering ME1. Garrus could not die in the first Mass Effect, neither could Tali. This is supported by the fact that Garrus is a recruitable character in ME2 regardless of the decisions you made in ME1.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azteck
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Azteck: He's talking about Mass Effect 1.  Garrus couldn't die in Mass Effect 1. "
    Oh.. Then he's right. It was only Kaiden/Ashley and Wrex that could die in ME1 in that case. <<
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Azteck
    @RVonE said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @BRich said:
    You are misremembering ME1. Garrus could not die in the first Mass Effect, neither could Tali. This is supported by the fact that Garrus is a recruitable character in ME2 regardless of the decisions you made in ME1. "
    I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about Mass Effect 2. My bad. You're right in that case.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RVonE
    @Azteck said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @BRich said:
    You are misremembering ME1. Garrus could not die in the first Mass Effect, neither could Tali. This is supported by the fact that Garrus is a recruitable character in ME2 regardless of the decisions you made in ME1. "
    I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about Mass Effect 2. My bad. You're right in that case. "
    I see. Then it all makes sense :)
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I expect a game of the year, which is what I consider Mass Effect 2 to be. I trust Bioware implicitly, they've never let me down so far.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    @wobag said:
    " I think people who expect ME3 to be much more tied to ME2 than ME2 was to the first game are setting themselves up for disappointment.  The only main characters carried over into 2 were Garrus and Tali, who were the two party members who couldnt die in ME1.  Ashley, Kaiden and Wrex all had minor roles in 2, but they could all die in 1.  Liara didnt appear in 2 because they wanted everyone to be able to die, but Liara is a character they wanted to have an arc across all three games.  Im pretty certain that any character that can die in 2 (Shepherd apart) will have a minor role in 3 at best.  I havent played Kasumi's memory, so Im not sure if she can die, if not expect a lot more of her! "
    Well sir you can think that but you are wrong. Of course, I don't think that any character from the second game will have major roles inte the third game, but with that said we have - Ashley/Kaiden, Wrex, Captain Anderson, Joker and many more from the first game that will have a major role. I think that BioWare knows what they are doing and the way Mass Effect 2 will tie into Mass Effect 3 is certainly not by having the same characters show up. I mean, every decicion you made in the first and second game will kind of carry over. Did you save the rachni or not? Did you shoot Wrex or not? Did you save the council etc. There's so much you did in Mass Effect 1 for this game! No need to worry about being disappointed. 
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Garrus

I always had a small theory that if a certain character died like Grunt (regardless of whether Wrex is dead or not) then you would automatically pick up or even have a chance to fail to recruit the new krogan member. If Grunt lives then you may end up having to choose between. I think that sort of scenario will happen a few times at some point.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Humanoid
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I'm not expecting anything at all. After Mass Effect 2, I've quit the ME series for good. "
    What is WRONG with you?
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FritzDude

I expect space-battles with the Normandy 3.0!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.