Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

People are expecting too much from ME3

• 65 results
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I'm amazed that anyone could consider the first game better than the second.. which I felt was a huge improvement in every single aspect. "
    1. I installed ME2 excpecting a continuation of an epic space saga but unfortunately had to play Gears of War in space.
    2. Almost the entire game of ME2 consisted of you scouring the galaxy for team members and then babysitting said team members, most of whom had daddy issues.
    3. Said party members were underwhelming and uninteresting compared to the characters in the first game, the only ones that came close were Mordin and Legion.
    4. Varied level design included a hundred arenas with identical chest high walls, which immediately SCREAMED at you that: "Yo, here be enemies dawg."
    5. Simplified class progression system that left you unable to come up with your own interesting builds effective in their own ways.
    6. Biotics and tech characters both player and NPC being gimped in favor of shooting moar gunz. Remember matriarch Benezia? Subject Zero is just pathetic.
    7. Huge promises of story connection and your decisions affecting a lot of the second game. Queue meeting with Anderson. LMAO
    8. Planet scanning. 

ME2 was a good game, but it was a far cry from the first.
    These are some of the concerns of people who consider the first game to be better. Including myself.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By haggis

I don't think people are expecting too much. Mostly the discussions have been about which characters we would like to return, but I think we all know we can't have them all. At least, we can't have them all as part of our party. I suspect we'll see them all, at least in the way we saw Wrex (if we saved him) in ME2. What I'm hoping is that we have access to all of them for missions a la the assassins in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, or at least for a subset of missions (say, Tali is available for Quarian-related missions, but not others).

Truth is, there are a thousand ways they could get all the characters in. I suspect we'll get a few (maybe one or two each from the last few games) and the rest will just be out in the world, doing their thing. We'll see them, but won't have them a part of our party. Which is fine, really. As far as NPCs go, the first two games let us learn quite a bit about them, so I want to know what happens to them, but that doesn't mean I want them in my party.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By haggis
    @Tennmuerti:  I think that your points 2 and 4 apply almost as equally to the first game, where you could tell when enemies were coming by the lay of the land, and missions which still had you going off and finding crewmates (granted, it wasn't as clearly part of the structure, but it was still there). As for 6, I think it depends a lot on how you play the game. I had one build where I used mostly biotics and tech, and didn't rely much at all on guns. Points 3 and 5 also amount more to taste. But on all of these points (save for 5, which I partially agree with you) I think ME1 comes off worse in each case. I didn't think planet scanning was all that bad (and they've fixed it since), and I think the story was far more engaging than the first game (whose story was a pastiche of sci-fi cliches a mile wide and one inch deep).

And seriously, I can't understand the comparisons with Gears of War. I mean, really, other than the cover system (which was still there in the first game, though somewhat different) there is nothing similar about the two.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By HubrisRanger

Not sure if someone else pointed this out already, but Casey Hudson has already said that the nature of the next game being the conclusion to Shepard's story offers them more freedom to go in wildly diverging directions with the game. To put it more succinctly, the way that Mass Effect 2 ended had to have a standardized jumping off point for the final game, but now that they don't have to be concerned about a fourth game going forward, they can go crazier with allowing all of the decisions you made in the first two games diverge and split.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By FreakAche

I don't know, I just can't see them scrapping what they've done and introducing an all new cast of characters all over again. I say, that they should just put all the ME1 and 2 squadmates in the game. It won't be a waste of development effort because unless you really screwed up in the first two games, the majority of these characters will still be alive.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By NTM

I'm not really expecting anything 'cause I don't really think about what the third's going to be like. One thing though, did you say Liara wasn't in ME2? Yes she was. Maybe I read that wrong?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By Driadon

I expect I'll likely enjoy it, and that's it. I can get hyped, but for the past couple years I don't dwell on what a game could be, regardless of trailers, until I'm actively playing it.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Edwardryu

come on, people. dismissed. ME 3 a year to come. so until then, you do something else. 

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Ramone

Very true.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

No, I think we're expecting enough 
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By sfighter21

Are we questioning Bioware's ability to craft a top notch story??  I can't begin to imagine how awesome this story arc will end.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By napalm

I am very excited and also very nervous about Mass Effect 3 in pretty much every facet.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By CL60

I doubt everybody that survived in ME2 will just disappear or have a minor role. Legion for example will probably have a large role in the game.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Vaile

I seem to recall Christina Norman saying that if your entire team died in ME2, you're pretty much screwed come Winter.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By sodapop7

So the first two games were great so we shouldn't expect the third to be good?  I don't see much to dissuade me from expecting another awesome experience.  Nothing is going to be perfect, it is about enjoying the overall experience.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bwmcmaste

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.