Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Question for ME3 ending haters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakkblades

What precisely is your especial problem with the ending of this game? It was a bad ending, deflated of the story majesty which had permeated so far and ends up feeling like it goes on a little too long. I'm a writer and the last video game ending that I would call "good" was GTA4. Games that are relative story juggernauts (LA Noire, Halo Reach, Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock) have had terrible endings, or clever but narratively bankrupt endings (Portal 2, Darksiders.) So why the special Mass Effect 3 hate? Besides your investment, suspend that for a second. I'd like to hear speculations about what the precise problem was with the ending, besides "everything" which is a complaint I would leverage at these equally prestigious games. There will obviously be spoilers in the response.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Deathmachine117

I would say it was because of the clear fact that none of your previous choices in the game mattered and no closure with the galaxy or characters.

Or people just will now hate on anything BioWare produce which I think is a great percentage.

I thought the ending was ok good points bad points.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By strangone

No previous choices mattered.

It was badly written.

It was filled with massive plot holes.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nohthink

@jakkblades: Man... you don't wanna start this.... People will freak out!!!

I'm with you on this. I think people are overreacting and going crazy mostly because the ending did not live up to their expectation(and really, expectation is such an irrational thing).

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Atary77

Simply put there was no closure. There was no real consequence of either triumph or defeat it just... stopped. You get this far and that was it. There simply was no epilogue.

It was totally disappointing and if they want to fix things they could at least give us an epilogue like what we saw in Dragon Age: Origins.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By donchipotle

Badly written is a bad complaint because BioWare games have constantly had bad writing.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By strangone

@DonChipotle said:

Badly written is a bad complaint because BioWare games have constantly had bad writing.

Ok that's fair. I should have said that it was especially badly written, even by BioWare's low standards.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

@DonChipotle said:

No, throughout the rest of this game, Mass Effect 3 has had better writing that previous ME games and had the more touching moments throughout

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donchipotle

@Dany said:

@DonChipotle said:

No, throughout the rest of this game, Mass Effect 3 has had better writing that previous ME games and had the more touching moments throughout.

Better writing doesn't mean that past games have been badly written.

@strangone said:

@DonChipotle said:

Ok that's fair. I should have said that it was especially badly written, even by BioWare's low standards.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I thought the last few hours were poorly written. Noticeably so.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakkblades

@DonChipotle: "Sci-fi generic" I'll grant you but I'm not ready to call them "badly written" compared to games in similar genres (Gears of War, Kingdoms of Amalur.)

EDIT: Also SOA has one of my favorite characters from video games in Jon Irenicus. So no, I won't agree with you there.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dany

@DonChipotle: But this game has good writing, it has phenomenal character moments that work because of the voice acting and the lines they have to read. The moments in the story with the quarians fighting works, the feeling of failure and loss of thessia works, the death of mordin works.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

There are already several threads where people explain they're hate for the ending, what's the point of making another one?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By MEATBALL

It seems weird to me to complain that Bioware have bad writing and then complain that you got no closure for the characters you cared about. Seems like someone regurgitating criticism they've heard elsewhere. If Bioware had such terrible writing I don't know how so many forged such a large connection with the characters or the series. I would say Bioware's dialogue is pretty good amongst video games. I dunno, maybe I'm way off the mark, nut it feels like there are an awful lot of people who just spout that Bioware's writing is bad without any sort of examples or explanation. (that's not to say that there aren't those who do, but it just seems odd that this idea has gained so much traction with little explanation, like it's just some kind of given.)

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakkblades

I see that my call for specifics has fallen on deaf ears. Assume for a second that I'm a six year old child and I need you to tell me *exactly* what you were expecting and received.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Drebin_893

@jakkblades said:

What precisely is your especial problem with the ending of this game? It was a bad ending, deflated of the story majesty which had permeated so far and ends up feeling like it goes on a little too long. I'm a writer and the last video game ending that I would call "good" was GTA4. Games that are relative story juggernauts (LA Noire, Halo Reach, Assassin's Creed 2, Bioshock) have had terrible endings, or clever but narratively bankrupt endings (Portal 2, Darksiders.) So why the special Mass Effect 3 hate? Besides your investment, suspend that for a second. I'd like to hear speculations about what the precise problem was with the ending, besides "everything" which is a complaint I would leverage at these equally prestigious games. There will obviously be spoilers in the response.

I've never played Mass Effect 3, but I thought Grand Theft Auto IV's ending was awful. Like, really awful.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Matterless

Like they were written-by-someone-else-bad. Felt like a cop-out and a complete shift in tone. The real sticking point to me is the entire victory fleet trapped in the Sol System with no way to get to their respective homes and Shepard's flat acceptance of Ghostboy/Ancient AI/Deus Ex Machina's assertion that organics and synthetics could not co-exist. My Shepard would have pointed out the window to the Geth/Quarian situation I had resolved only hours before. There are a lot of plotholes, but those are the ones that irk me the most.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By donchipotle

@jakkblades said:

@DonChipotle: "Sci-fi generic" I'll grant you but I'm not ready to call them "badly written" compared to games in similar genres (Gears of War, Kingdoms of Amalur.)

EDIT: Also SOA has one of my favorite characters from video games in Jon Irenicus. So no, I won't agree with you there.

Ever since KotOR, the games have been getting more and more generic and derivative when it comes to narrative. When they aren't following the exact same formula for plot progression they are dealing in cringe inducing dialog. The games may have well written moments, but that doesn't mean the whole thing is well written. This is why I think KotOR 2 is a better game, because it is better written.

@Dany said:

@DonChipotle: But this game has good writing, it has phenomenal character moments that work because of the voice acting and the lines they have to read. The moments in the story with the quarians fighting works, the feeling of failure and loss of thessia works, the death of mordin works.

It may have sold moments, but on the whole Mass Effect 3 is not particularly well written. If narratives were judged on how good specific moments are, then yeah, Mass Effect 3 would be up there, but that's not how it works. If anything, your statement says more about the quality of the voice actors than the actual script. A good actor can turn a shit script into gold. Usually, anyway.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Pretty simple for me. It's that it was a twist ending for the sake of a twist. I didn't fight my way across 3 games to have an ambiguous ending. The ME series always had a hollywood sci-fi style to it and I want my happy ending. The Reapers die, Shepard lives, makes blue babies with Liara and goes can plinking with Garrus every weekend.

There was no lead up or real justification for the last events of that game short of shocking audiences which should never be a reason to fuck with your narrative.

And finally, none of the choices I made across 3 games reflect on the ending. That's just kinda lame.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm tired of explaining it. Here, this guy does a pretty good job summing it up.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Ghostiet

Nothing I did throughout the entire game means jack shit in the end, even though resolving the quarian-geth conflict peacefully should change ALL of it.

The Reapers' motivation is nonsensical - it lacks context, right now it's just fodder for that Xzibit meme.

It's also rushed, like entire cutscenes and sound bites were left out. Shit that was leaked hours before the premiere is miraculously cut, even though it makes no sense to remove a line. Hell, one could even explain one major plot hole.

Finally - there is no promised closure. Nothing that happens in the ending has its consequences explained. Something they promised they would not do.

@jakkblades said:

I'm a writer and the last video game ending that I would call "good" was GTA4. 

Wow. It's amazing, because that ending isn't really good.

Try Binary Domain, Nier, Red Dead Redemption, Mother 3.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By trace

I think now that this thread has had a little time to rest, and (hopefully) has a reasonable answer, I should close this. We have 4.3 billion* threads on ME3's ending already, so it'd be nice if we could somehow keep these conversation condensed within threads that already exist. Thanks!

*rough estimate

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.