Question: Rannoch Reaper Turret Sequence

#1 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

When Bioware was promoting ME3 last year, I vaguely remember them showing off a turret sequence against a reaper destroyer. You can see a glimpse of it in this trailer around the 40 second mark:

http://www.giantbomb.com/mass-effect-3-fall-of-earth-trailer/17-4381/

When I encountered the sequence in-game, however, it only lasted about 5 seconds and I never had to fire a shot. Was this sequence cut from the game, or do certain choices remove the opportunity to fly around and shoot at a reaper?

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1571 posts) -

My game didn't include anything like that and I don't recall hearing anything about anyone else seeing it. Odds are it was changed to just be a cutscene.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8043 posts) -

Hmmm, that happened to me in my game and it lasted maybe 15-30 seconds? I fired at it but I don't know that I actually had to.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Mercanis said:

When Bioware was promoting ME3 last year, I vaguely remember them showing off a turret sequence against a reaper destroyer. You can see a glimpse of it in this trailer around the 40 second mark:

http://www.giantbomb.com/mass-effect-3-fall-of-earth-trailer/17-4381/

When I encountered the sequence in-game, however, it only lasted about 5 seconds and I never had to fire a shot. Was this sequence cut from the game, or do certain choices remove the opportunity to fly around and shoot at a reaper?

Is that where your moving and fireing backwards? Wile riding on a car thingy? I recall that as well. 
#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10576 posts) -

Yeah, I found that super odd too. I remembered the sequence, and it seemed like it might finally be a turret sequence in the game that wasn't boring (because it was moving at a decent speed), but then it ended.

#6 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Yeah it really seemed like they wanted to set up a big sequence but then.. didn't.

Ran out of time I guess. I've said that about too many aspects of this game now.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6678 posts) -

It definitely existed.  After the Normandy smart bombs the reaper base, causing you to discover it was actually a reaper, you get on a hover craft with a turret on the back and drive off to where that dumb ass boss fight happens.  It doesn't last long, and there's actually zero need to actually fire a shot.

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

@Mercanis: Not sure whether it was meant to be a big action sequence to begin with, I also only got a 5 second sequence that had no significance.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Very silly indeed, it was set up to be something of a ride.

While not much a fan of it at first, I was kinda getting into the danger of them getting the fuck out of dodge in the hover car while the Reaper gives chase.
This was just too short and disappointing though.

#10 Edited by TwoArmed (110 posts) -

I get the impression it and possibly other turret sequences were implemented simply as money shots for trailers. Like what was the point of

the one at the end of the game where you're able to talk to all of your squadmates on Earth? "Quick, throw one more turret sequence in there. They were so awesome elsewhere." Ugh.
#11 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -

Bioware did that simply to troll people. It worked too, if anyone here can remember how Mass Effect 3 was hailed to be nothing but a COD clone, filled to the brim with turret sequences.

#12 Posted by Pacmanlh (77 posts) -

Just like in trailers for comedy films where they take some of those jokes out of the film or shorten the scene, it just happens. Or they listened to people after showing it and downplayed the actual sequence.

#13 Posted by GaspoweR (2839 posts) -

That scene was kinda pointless really.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

I'm actually glad all the turret sequences are kind of useless, because turret sequences are boring and unnecessary. How do you expect to take down a Reaper with a single mounted gun, anyway, if it takes the combined fire of an entire fleet to wipe it out?

#15 Posted by NTM (7288 posts) -

Hey, I think it proves the indoctrination theory is correct. Look at the video and go to 00:16 to 19:00. No kid since it wasn't Shepard's perspective! No, just kidding, but that did jump to my mind.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

The one everybody said looked shitty?  They probably cut it because everybody said it looked shitty.

Oddly, I somehow managed not to bump into that EPIC FOR THE WIN girl in my playthrough either.

#17 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Yeah, I got parts of that sequence - I felt it felt longer than it needed to be, and that it felt unclear what I was supposed to shoot at, so it must've been at least 20-30 seconds?

@Jimbo: She's in the docking bay on the citadel, just below where you walk into the door to get on the Normandy.

#18 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

There were like, what, 4 turret sequences in the game?

Palaven Moon: shooting husks until the brute appears

Rannoch: Shooting reaper for a few seconds for no good reason. (two or three optional locations during survival waves of geth too)

Thessia: Being a good sport and giving the asari commandos a chance to grab a refreshing Capri-Sun.

Earth: In the London base area while saying goodbye to everyone.

I think that's also the number of dream sequences you have to deal with.

Coincidence..?

#19 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@onan: There's also at least the (optional) turret sequence when you are at the base the Cerberus Scientists are at.

I'm thinking there was yet another as well, but I can't think of it now.

#20 Posted by Doctorchimp (4071 posts) -

Yeah, it felt like they cut it short. But every other turret sequence was way too long.

Of course it was punctuated with a shitty Reaper boss fight though...that was fun...

Still though everything else on that planet was amazing. Especially that ending for Rannoch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.