Should I download the "Extended Cut Ending" for ME3?

#1 Posted by michaelsuen (83 posts) -

So finally reading week is just around the corner and i'm finally able hopefully finish Mass Effect 2 so that I can get round to playing Mass Effect 3. I of course did hear that many people had concerns about the original ending, though had no insight since I had never played the trilogy until this past Christmas. So without any spoilers or hints at what may or may not happen, should I play the 3rd game with the original ending or with the "new" one? Thanks all!

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

Yes, absolutely. Or maybe it's worth playing through with the OG ending first, just to see what all the fuss was about? Then you could install the extended ending, and then load up your save again before you underwent the final stretch of the game.

#3 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

New one. It is an unqualified improvement.

#4 Edited by Noblenerf (323 posts) -

There's no reason to use the old endings. Go for it!

#5 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Hell yeah.

#6 Posted by audioBusting (1564 posts) -

No harm to it, just get it. It only adds epilogues and somewhat inconsequential dialogue, as far as I remember.

#7 Posted by Creamypies (4070 posts) -

Yes, absolutely. The endings aren't that different, but the extended one adds a few more dialogue choices and epilogue scenes.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Get it. It's still bad, but the original is plainly insulting.

#9 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1801 posts) -

finally able hopefully finish Mass Effect 2

Man, I hope so. That game is too good too miss out on completing.

Also, yes, just download it. There's no reason to see the original version at this point. Save yourself the pain.

#10 Edited by fetchfox (1273 posts) -

My god yes, your better off with that ending. I played the game with the original one and it was not a good experience.

#11 Posted by Fearbeard (831 posts) -

I wouldn't bother. They both suck. The extended ones just clarify things in the most boring predictable way possible.

#12 Posted by YI_Orange (1151 posts) -

Yes. You should also probably get Leviathan, From Ashes, and Citadel. I had all that when I played through and came out of it feeling like ME3 was the best one. Sure, people have problems with the ending, but the rest of the game is so good.

#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

Yes. That Extended Cut ending is by no means perfect, but it does clear up a lot of the problems with the original. Unless you're set on exploring the history of the series and exactly why people had a problem with that original ending, there's no reason to play it.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

Let me put it this way: Brad went in to Mass Effect 3 with all of the DLC, including the Extended Cut, without having played vanilla ME3, beat the game, and was happy with it. Then he went back and read about all of the differences between original and extended cut, and was left with his mind completely blown.

#15 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

I'd recommend it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.