Should I still play the trilogy?

Posted by squiDc00kiE (350 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Should I still play the trilogy? (94 votes)

Yes 93%
No 7%

I know basically how Mass Effect 3 ends, but I've been dying for a sci-fi game for some time now. Is it still worth going back to play the trilogy? I own the original on PC but only played it for about an hour. I'm interested in going back, but don't want to waste my time. What should I do?

#1 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I think it's absolutely worth playing even if you know the ending. Just keep an open mind in the first game, because the gameplay is a little rough around the edges. The world in Mass Effect is really interesting as a whole, so immersing yourself in the foriegn world can be really fun. I recently started playing through the first game again because I just felt like playing the series again. Knowing the ending doesn't really take much away from the experience, I think (except maybe a little in the third game).

Just keep in mind that the gameplay is much improved in the second, and then a little more in the third.

#3 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Absolutely. All the games are great and taking as a whole the series works very well. Ending be damned.

#4 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1955 posts) -

Of course. The first game is great but really flawed in annoying ways, the second game works on some of those faults but still has some of its own, and the third game is pretty good but with a lot of holes and new/old flaws. Still loved the ~100 hours I put into one character between the games.

#5 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

Absolutely. The ending is such a tiny part of the whole anyway. There are many great moments waiting to be experienced in all three games.

#6 Edited by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

They make up three of the most important games of the generation. In so many different ways, not all of them good, they've totally changed or subliminally altered the trajectory of the industry.

#7 Edited by probablytuna (3547 posts) -

The Mass Effect series is my favourite IP of this generation and I recommend anyone interested in sci-fi games to check it out. Enjoy!

#8 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I'd say play the first and leave it at that, let your imagination create whatever you want to fill in the rest of the universe and potential.
Second one is easier to play even if the story is retarded as anything, (with shadow broker being the exception)
And the 3rd game is just awful, not even just the ending, it's a half baked half arsed mess, skip it if you can control yourself

#9 Posted by djou (860 posts) -

Yes, absolutely. The gameplay in the first game haven't aged well, I recommend playing it on normal or easy. The second and third still play great and if you weren't caught in the hoopla surrounding the conclusion you probably won't be as disappointed. Play it with the DLC like Brad, its not so bad.

This trilogy is not the last people have heard from Mass Effect, knowing EA they will continue to pump out games. Before that noise further taints the legacy of this awesome series I recommend people play it while fresh.

You can make it through all three in about 50-60 hours, the mechanics/graphics get better along the way and you can make your own decision about the ending.

#10 Posted by gunninkr (136 posts) -

Worth playing for sure. Keep playing them over the years. These game are easily going to be in my every so often game rotation along with Zelda, Mario and some FF games. Ni No Kuni will now be part of that list also. Mass Effect is one of the best series I have played and it is in my all time favorites list. Enjoy them all!

#11 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

It's like totally about the journey man, not the destination. On any trip you know where you'll end up, it's getting there that is the fun

#12 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

It's probably this generation's most defining debut franchise. So yes, you should.

#13 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

I voted no, but really, I am saying that you should play the first and second games, and skip the 3rd if you already know the end. The 3rd isn't great and is basically played like a deflating balloon until the last air finally pitters out at the closing moments of Mass Effect 3.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

You should at least play the first two. The third one... eh. I'd say that you can take it or leave it. It's got the best controls of all three games, but the encounters are terribly uninteresting and the story, when not making you sigh with disappointment, is even more boring than the encounters. The characters are all right, but then their dialogue is mostly poo as well.

#15 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I started at 2 and feel i got the Mass Effect experience.

#16 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

It's absolutely worth the playthrough. And you must play ME3. Don't listen to those telling you to skip it. For all its flaws (and there are many) it has some of the most amazing moments of the series, from the final resolution of the Krogan situation, to the small, emotional moments between characters you grow to love in ME2. The third game of the series may not stack up as a whole against ME2, but it is still a fantastic game by any standard. ME3 has some of the best character moments I've ever experienced in any game. They shouldn't be missed.

#17 Edited by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

You should absolutely play them. They're all great games. Most people think 2 is the best, including me, but they all have something to offer. The furor over 3 wasn't entirely undeserved, but it was blown pretty far out of proportion. Still a really good game and a great series.

#18 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I only played the first two and felt like it was worthwhile. So I'll say that you don't have to play the whole trilogy, start ME1 again and go as far from there as you like.

#19 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Yeah sure you should play them. I started playing the whole thing after the ending debacle and i enjoyed most of my time with it.

#20 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

Unless you hate great games, then you should play it.

#21 Posted by Sinusoidal (1299 posts) -

I'd wait for the inevitable release of the "ULTIMATE MASS PACKAGE" or whatever that includes all the DLC for all three games. This trilogy thing just came too soon after 3 was released.

#22 Edited by super2j (1654 posts) -

Mass effect 1, 2 and the most of 3 is amazing. And even though you know what happens, you dont know anything else like "how it happens". Which means that you are not going to be as disappointed by the ending but you will be amazed by everything else. Seems like a good trade off.

#23 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

The same way you watch all 6 star wars even if you know vader is his father before watching and the fact that the last prequel "sequel" aren't as good you should play mass effect even if you know some part sucks and even if you know the ending is a bit of a let down.

#24 Posted by AndrewB (7511 posts) -

Yes. Mass Effect 1 is a great story behind archaic gameplay. Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece. Mass Effect 3 is a mediocre and ultimately disappointing end, but still a blast to play.

#25 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Yep, I have only played the first which is amazing, but the general consensus seems to be that both the 2nd and 3rd game are still great. No harm in checking them out!

#26 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Yes definitely. I loved the first two ( i think i actually liked me1 better than me2 because the story is better). Its worth playing through it just for the story. Its probably the defining ip of the generation.

#27 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -

Yes, yes, yes, a resounding yes. The games are really about the atmosphere and the ambience of a futuristic world, and it's amazing to see (generally) how well Bioware has constructed this living, breathing world. And really, the ending of Mass Effect 3 is not that bad. It doesn't discredit the 60+ hours you spent in the Mass Effect universe. It's just disappointing, because you know that Bioware could have done better.

#28 Edited by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Yes you should. I say you will have an even better time because you don't have to worry about crushing disappointment since you know how it ends. So all there is left is to enjoy that ride and it a very awesome ride.

#29 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

Yes. Play femshep and you'll never look back.

#30 Posted by squiDc00kiE (350 posts) -

Thanks everybody for the feedback, looks like I'm playing all of them when I get some time. And for those wondering, I really don't have an issue with the ending. Personally, I think some people's expectations were unrealistic. I'm actually kind of looking forward to playing it with the ending in mind. Like putting the pieces together backwards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.