Single player campaign DLC with Collectors?

#1 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3960 posts) -

For the first time, I finally encountered the Collectors last night.  Is there 
any chance that they will produce a single-player campaign using that 
DLC?  Or are we done with seeing further single player campaign DLC 
in ME 3? 

#2 Edited by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

They said that there is more singleplayer DLC planned until at least April (or something around that, don't quote me on that), but they are not ruling out possibility of more past that date.

The Collectors appeared in multiplayer because they backpedaled on the notion that it is 100% canonical with singleplayer. They said that they have no plans on bringing them back for reals, but yeah, a sudden resurrection of the Collectors wouldn't be out of line with BioWare's stance on fanservice and memes.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

We could see them for sure, but the main threat in me3 are the reaper forces. It's totally reasonable for them to show up in future dlc but I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone.

#4 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3960 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

We could see them for sure, but the main threat in me3 are the reaper forces. It's totally reasonable for them to show up in future dlc but I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone.

@Ghostiet said:

They said that there is more singleplayer DLC planned until at least April (or something around that, don't quote me on that), but they are not ruling out possibility of more past that date.

The Collectors appeared in multiplayer because they backpedaled on the notion that it is 100% canonical with singleplayer. They said that they have no plans on bringing them back for reals, but yeah, a sudden resurrection of the Collectors wouldn't be out of line with BioWare's stance on fanservice and memes.

Well the canon is sort of violated that you can have Collectors in multiplayer combat. It seems the step in that direction has already been made. What they could do is just inject some video interactionsequence early on in the campaign to show another Collector army from a different location. Perhaps the Prothean race was caught in a Reaper duplication machine (the slave race of choice for the Reapers after victory in the last cycle).  After that cinematic cut in the early part, it's just a matter of creating a set of "Collector: abc" missions (similar to "N7: xx" missions) that can be sprinkled throughout the game, perhaps with a final boss battle to end them similar to how Cerberus' (N7) missions were completed. I could totally see them doing that. 

Another possibility might be an actual DVD expansion ala Dragon Age: Origins, perhaps with a post-trilogy storyline. Let's just call a spade a spade & pick the "canon" ending for the series as "Shepherd killed the Reapers" & leave it at that. Then have the second expansion DLC be the next chapter where the Collectors return, perhaps from a Reaper duplicator machine. Somebody other than Shepherd has to deal with them.

Those are my fanciful thoughts.

#5 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

@Lind_L_Taylor: Please, don't give them ideas. The game's lore is fucked enough.

#6 Posted by onan (1277 posts) -

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@Ghostiet said:

Well the canon is sort of violated that you can have Collectors in multiplayer combat. It seems the step in that direction has already been made. What they could do is just inject some video interactionsequence early on in the campaign to show another Collector army from a different location. Perhaps the Prothean race was caught in a Reaper duplication machine (the slave race of choice for the Reapers after victory in the last cycle). After that cinematic cut in the early part, it's just a matter of creating a set of "Collector: abc" missions (similar to "N7: xx" missions) that can be sprinkled throughout the game, perhaps with a final boss battle to end them similar to how Cerberus' (N7) missions were completed. I could totally see them doing that.

Another possibility might be an actual DVD expansion ala Dragon Age: Origins, perhaps with a post-trilogy storyline. Let's just call a spade a spade & pick the "canon" ending for the series as "Shepherd killed the Reapers" & leave it at that. Then have the second expansion DLC be the next chapter where the Collectors return, perhaps from a Reaper duplicator machine. Somebody other than Shepherd has to deal with them.

Even if you killed off the Rachni in ME1, the Reapers decided to clone/resurrect a long-dead species for their own ends instead of their normal MO of subjugating races for whatever reason. (Most likely so they wouldn't have to write a divergent plot sequence in the Rachni cave). Considering they've been using the Collectors for 50,000 years, and they're already all cloned (Collectors are incapable of sexual reproduction, I think I recall being mentioned in a codex or deep in a conversation with Mordin or something), it would be incredibly easy for them to just bring back the Collectors -- assuming you committed genocide at the end of ME2, which seems crazy to me. There must have been more bases. Like, yeah, maybe the Collector base was secure, but it's also sitting between 85 black holes in the center of the universe. That's a pretty perilous basket in which to store all of your eggs.

#7 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3960 posts) -
@onan said:

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@Ghostiet said:

Well the canon is sort of violated that you can have Collectors in multiplayer combat. It seems the step in that direction has already been made. What they could do is just inject some video interactionsequence early on in the campaign to show another Collector army from a different location. Perhaps the Prothean race was caught in a Reaper duplication machine (the slave race of choice for the Reapers after victory in the last cycle). After that cinematic cut in the early part, it's just a matter of creating a set of "Collector: abc" missions (similar to "N7: xx" missions) that can be sprinkled throughout the game, perhaps with a final boss battle to end them similar to how Cerberus' (N7) missions were completed. I could totally see them doing that.

Even if you killed off the Rachni in ME1, the Reapers decided to clone/resurrect a long-dead species for their own ends instead of their normal MO of subjugating races for whatever reason. (Most likely so they wouldn't have to write a divergent plot sequence in the Rachni cave). Considering they've been using the Collectors for 50,000 years, and they're already all cloned (Collectors are incapable of sexual reproduction, I think I recall being mentioned in a codex or deep in a conversation with Mordin or something), it would be incredibly easy for them to just bring back the Collectors -- assuming you committed genocide at the end of ME2, which seems crazy to me. There must have been more bases. Like, yeah, maybe the Collector base was secure, but it's also sitting between 85 black holes in the center of the universe. That's a pretty perilous basket in which to store all of your eggs.

They might as well use the Collectors.  They're really keeping ME 3 alive, I say they might as 
well keep fleshing it out. Perhaps do an expansion that has a Mass Effect/Dragon Age Cross-over 
(Like DC's Elseworld or Marvel's What-if)?   Play with it. 
#8 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1043 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Was it stated somewhere in ME2 or ME3 that the Collectors were completely wiped out when you destroyed their base at the end of ME2? I thought the Collectors had more than one ship out there. I would also really like to see them come back in some future single player dlc.

#9 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

@DeShawn2ks said:

@Ghostiet said:

Was it stated somewhere in ME2 or ME3 that the Collectors were completely wiped out when you destroyed their base at the end of ME2? I thought the Collectors had more than one ship out there. I would also really like to see them come back in some future single player dlc.

I would have to dig through the ME wiki to confirm that, but if I remember correctly, the implication was that in ME2 they were almost completely iced. In ME3's Palaven codex entry there's a mention of the seeker swarms. So I don't know. ME2 was pretty much completely retconned by 3, so I wouldn't be surprised.

But thinking logically, there's no logical reason for the Collectors not appearing in ME3's normal campaign if they were really alive. There were rumors that the Omega DLC will feature either Collector or Prothean capsules, but I'm pretty glad they didn't do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.