Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

So according to EA, Bioware ISN'T changing the ending...

• 107 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@xyzygy:

If you mean by 'explain' the ending, that they will reveal the epic mindfuck and PR-stunt that is Shepard's temporary indoctrination? Then yes - they will 'explain' it. That's what's happening. If it's anything other than that, then the Bioware dudes in charge of the ending clearly have lost their marbles. All of them, and thoroughly.

UGH

Indoctrination would be an absolute worse fuck you then the current ending. I'd rather accept the fact that Bioware has fucked up in a culmination of all their fuckups. Then they would actually deliberately make ME3 the epic conclusion to the trilogy without an actual end. Because if the indoctrination theory is correct, guess what. It's all a dream from them moment shepard gets lazored to the moment he wakes up. Meaning the Crucuble never fired. We all failed, Reapers still be reaping. Welcome to 100+ years of galactic war and suffering while everyone gets harvested, with humanity in front of the que. Everything you did is now even more meaningless. Sweet! Well either the above situation or no end period, is the result. Pick your poison.

Ever slept for a minute and spent hours in a dream/nightmare? I sure have.

Shep was prolly just out for a brief moment. Lots will have happend, but the war/battle isn't lost, respectively the initial plan of getting onto the Citadel and sorting things out is still a-go. Plenty opportunity for awesome decision-making à la ME2 suicide mission, sending in Krogan, Geth, Salarian, Quarian, Asari, Turian, Batarian, Rachni and god knows what else into battle at key decision moments, while we fight through a fully 'awakend' Citadel - the mother of all Reapers (if that's truely so), constantly shifting and rearranging, and talking smack and metaphysics like GLaDOS. And then fucking kill/enslave all them Reapers, or fail to varying degrees.

That's what it had to be, it's a shame it wasn't that way in the intial release - the indoctrination mindfuck is the only way they were able to undo the plot spoilers which happend - at the benefit of some insane quantity of 'free' PR and the whole deal being somewhat culturally relevant like that Orson Welles UFO-scare 'War of the Worlds' radio show. Messing with a couple of million heads certainly is memorable and a befitting monument for the Mass Effect trilogy. Likely they also didn't have the time to do the ending 'right', so they were glad to postpone it for a couple of months to work on doing it properly.

Of course it could just be a screw-up like Dragon Age 2's final chapter and ending, but I doubt it. It's just too incredibly horrid to be what they intended. Hence, it didn't actually happen. Everything past Shep getting a Harbringer Suntan is extremely surreal. None of that happend, for sure. If it wasn't in the context of a Indoctrination Nightmare, all of that is just too fucking horribad - it just can't be '4 realz'. The guys at Bioware would not fuck up that badly. Not Mass Effect.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Seppli

If the Citadel truely is the 'mother of all reapers', it's such a missed opportunity that Shep&Friends weren't on the Citadel when it 'awakend' and moved itself into Earth's orbit out of own volition. That'd been such an awesome 'mind blown' moment, DUDE!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By kindgineer

Good. Maybe finally we can let this whole thing rest and move on to more important things.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By Snail

I haven't played though that game yet, but isn't it possible that some of the mysteries in the ending would be explained in a later installment of the Mass Effect series?

I think I'd rather have them change it and add more diversity and "impact of player choice" into the ending than have them explain it, because maybe it's something they were already planning to do later one. Then again, I haven't played the game yet, so maybe I'm wrong here.

I'm kind of having bad feeling about this whole thing. Like they might fuck it up even more.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@xyzygy:

If you mean by 'explain' the ending, that they will reveal the epic mindfuck and PR-stunt that is Shepard's temporary indoctrination? Then yes - they will 'explain' it. That's what's happening. If it's anything other than that, then the Bioware dudes in charge of the ending clearly have lost their marbles. All of them, and thoroughly.

UGH

Indoctrination would be an absolute worse fuck you then the current ending. I'd rather accept the fact that Bioware has fucked up in a culmination of all their fuckups. Then they would actually deliberately make ME3 the epic conclusion to the trilogy without an actual end. Because if the indoctrination theory is correct, guess what. It's all a dream from them moment shepard gets lazored to the moment he wakes up. Meaning the Crucuble never fired. We all failed, Reapers still be reaping. Welcome to 100+ years of galactic war and suffering while everyone gets harvested, with humanity in front of the que. Everything you did is now even more meaningless. Sweet! Well either the above situation or no end period, is the result. Pick your poison.

Shep was prolly just out for a brief moment. Lots will have happend, but the war/battle isn't lost, respectively the initial plan of getting onto the Citadel and sorting things out is still a-go. Plenty opportunity for awesome decision-making à la ME2 suicide mission, sending in Krogan, Geth, Salarian, Quarian, Asari, Turian, Batarian, Rachni and god knows what else into battle at key decision moments, while we fight through a fully 'awakend' Citadel - the mother of all Reapers (if that's truely so), constantly shifting and rearranging, and talking smack and metaphysics like GLaDOS. And then fucking kill/enslave all them Reapers, or fail to varying degrees.

The thing is that you ARE the suicide mission. 
    The only reason it was even attempted was that there was only a single ground reaper guarding the beam. Now it is Harbinger.

You wake up, that is it. It doesn't matter if the plan is still a go.
    Everything else you wrote later amounts to fan fiction. It is not there.
    The ending of the trilogy does not exist.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Seppli

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@xyzygy:

UGH

The thing is that you ARE the suicide mission. The only reason it was even attempted was that there was only a single ground reaper guarding the beam. Now it is Harbinger.You wake up, that is it. It doesn't matter if the plan is still a go.Everything else you wrote later amounts to fan fiction. It is not there.The ending of the trilogy does not exist.

So what if it's Harbringer? Is there some reason Shep can't make it to the beam, if Harbringer looks elsewhere or moved on? Its not like somebody can make a big 'noble sacrifice' and destract Harbringer for a spell - surely they can.

However, one has to keep hope alive, that whatever this ending has been, isn't it - because it simply cannot be it. It's so bad, the milk in my fridge went sour by the time the grandpa tells his grandson about the Shepard.

The only 'semi-acceptable' ending, the current ending could be seen as, would be... 'Shepard died. The Reapers won. Humanity gets processed into Pink Slime and used for brain matter for the next step in Reaper evolution, and talking to shitty spirit children is how it feels like to become such a thing'. URGH.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli said:

@xyzygy:

UGH

The thing is that you ARE the suicide mission. The only reason it was even attempted was that there was only a single ground reaper guarding the beam. Now it is Harbinger.You wake up, that is it. It doesn't matter if the plan is still a go.Everything else you wrote later amounts to fan fiction. It is not there.The ending of the trilogy does not exist.

So what if it's Harbringer? Is there some reason Shep can't make it to the beam, if Harbringer looks elsewhere or moved on? Its not like somebody can make a big 'noble sacrifice' and destract Harbringer for a spell - surely they can.

However, one has to keep hope alive, that whatever this ending has been, isn't it - because it simply cannot be it. It's so bad, the milk in my fridge went sour by the time the grandpa tells his grandson about the Shepard.

The only 'semi-acceptable' ending, the current ending could be seen as, would be... 'Shepard died. The Reapers won. Humanity gets processed into Pink Slime and used for brain matter for the next step in Reaper evolution, and talking to shitty spirit children is how it feels like to become such a thing'. URGH.

At the end of the day you are left with no ending.
    (assuming indoctrination theory)
    Are you hoping Bioware will later continue it with DLC or ME4?
    Because lets be clear this is not what the announced clarification is. They aren't changing anything atm.
    Either of the above options means Bioware deliberately screwed everyone over and left ot the actual end of their epic trilogy that was always talked of and reiterated as the end.

On one hand you have a mother of all fuckups.
    On the other you have a deliberate missing conclusion where there should be one.
    To me deliberate fucking over of people is worse then simply a company fucking up.
    It's a shitty situation either way.
    Avatar image for lady_of_the_patriots
    Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Encephalon said:

Of course they're not going to change the ending. They're going to "clarify" it.

Really, they should've just not committed to anything. The whole thing was probably a week away from blowing over. Now everyone's gonna get pissed all over again.

will_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By will_m

I feel like with all the choice given to you throughout the series, Bioware had to eventually converge onto one conclusion. And that they did. Whether you believe Shepard was indoctrinated or not isn't the point. In the end, shit happened and everyone died or they didnt die. What matters is that throughout the entire game, Shepard was able to solve the galaxies biggest problems. People making robots that eventually rebelled, assholes creating the genophage, and multitude of other shit. As the reapers themselves stated about organic life, "it is chaos." And for a few brief moments, at the end of this epic saga everyone across the galaxy was united against one single thing. No more chaos.

The protheans mentioned that they had built upon things left behind by other cycles. The crucible, the citadel, the mass relays. But their galaxy was still in chaos and they were eventually exterminated. They didnt have a "shepard" to rally them and essentially atone for the sins. So the question is, now that this cycle is over, what did they leave behind?...

Shepard and the galaxy left their story for the next cycle. The story of him doing the seemingly impossible of uniting them. To stop all the nonsense of playing god and living lives full of sin and hatred. If Shepard wasn't there to unite them, they would've all retreated to their own worlds. Their own selfish bubble. EDI mentions this in a conversation aboard the Normandy. She says that its confusing to her why prisoners of the Reapers would rather die than give useful information to them. In other words, she would normally "rat someone out" to survive rather than stand together and face death. She then "rewrites" her protocols to override her own self-preservation attitude. EDI and Legion both say that Shepard is the reason they think more like organics. That even a machine could learn the good qualities of being human from one man is just one of the great stories left behind by Shepard. In the end he resolved the issues of the galaxy, and all he needed was a catalyst.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.