So did everyone enjoy the game?

• 146 results
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

So due to the extremely controversial ending, thats kinda ruled the threads of Mass Effect 3, and I have even added to that. But I'm just curious if everyone enjoyed the game or not? I understand people are angry with the ending and hey I'm not as angry but I think people do have the right to be. Anyway, I just wanted to know overall, how was your experience with the game?  I loved the game. I thought they did some amazing stuff with choices and gameplay was really fluid and fun. I thought old characters and new played their part well (mostly) and just overall it was incredible experience.  I'm still fighting to figure out if I enjoyed it more than ME2 or not but ya I think its an awesome game and everyone should play it, especially if your invested in the franchise. 

One moment that I will probably always remember is  ( Near ending spoilers) 

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21464 posts) -

Overall, yes quite a bit. Even with the list of substantial issues I had with the game, it will more than likely nab a spot on my top 10 for this year. It'll be a lot closer to the bottom than ME2 was, though.

#3 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

I really liked a great deal of the game. The campaign surrounding the genophage was the highlight of my gaming year so far, since I thought it actually used my choices in a way that seemed like my renegade Shepard could be completely different. The combat was good, I liked the idea of the weight vs cooldown thing with weapons, and they have some straight up talking in that game. I must have spent hours just talking with dudes, or literally listening to them say shit which was entirely optional, and completely cool.

I've registered my problems with the end, before, so I won't go into that, but I still find it a shame how it ruined the goodwill I had for ME3. Never forget...

#4 Posted by TooSweet (381 posts) -

I actually had a blast with the game except for the ending obviously. I also wasn't a big fan of most of the N7 missions. Some of them felt like it was just filler. I never really thought how much I cared about some of the characters oddly enough until one died and I refused to let it happen. I found what I did wrong and just went back to fix it. In some ways I feel like I should have kept going and let it slide and just enjoy the flow of what's happening. After all in real life once their gone that's it. But laying in bed that night thinking my choice did this character in made me feel just a little bad. Being that this is a game I decided to cheat death.

Two things stood out for me. I shot a Cerberus guy on the knee and he actually yelled out "HE SHOT MY KNEE!!!," or something like that. I found that to be a funny little thing to have in the game. And the moment that Shepard has with Garus. I got a good laugh out of that. As for the thing I mention in the first paragraph. It was Tali dying.
#5 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Also, how can you not enjoy this?

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite joke on the Normandy.
#6 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I really enjoyed the game. Did not love the ending but I liked it and did not really mind. I saw all three endings(including the "best" ending) and right now I'm doing my insanity run.

#7 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

Yes. I hate the ending, but I loved the game and nothing will change that. I'm on my second playthough right now as renegade Shepard. Some of the shit you do... man.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@RPGeesus: Did you notice my avatar? Let me embiggen it for you... 

The face of earth. 
I'm glad to see at least to far people really liked the game. Its bummed me out that its been thrown down and stomped on because of the ending, nice to see Shepard smiling again.
#9 Edited by NTM (7319 posts) -

Yes. There were a few problematic bugs, most of the side quests, and all of the fetch quest stuff was pretty monotonous that felt like it was just there to lengthen the game in an uninteresting way, and the ending kind of went its own way by pretty much saying fuck you, I don't care about what you've done before this. That's not to say I hated the ending, but it could have been better, and because of it, it also makes me hesitant to play the game more often than I am. With that said, the rest of the game is quite amazing, and outdoes just about every single problem present.

#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

Yes. I hate the ending, but I loved the game and nothing will change that. I'm on my second playthough right now as renegade Shepard. Some of the shit you do... man.

I'm in the same boat, not total renegade but much more than before, shit is fucked sometimes! But thats what makes Mass Effect 3 awesome, despite the ending, most of the story can be much different.
#11 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Yeah, I loved it. It isn't as good as ME2 or ME1, but it's still a pretty amazing game.

#12 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Yeah, sure. Would I play it again? Not very likely.

#13 Edited by pweidman (2319 posts) -

2nd runthrough on Renegade can be shocking at times...the Tali ******* after choosing to support the Geth for instance took me unawares...totally stunned. But, yeah loving the game and the trilogy is the best I've ever played.

#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

Yes, it's better than ME2.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21464 posts) -

@pweidman said:

2nd runthrough on Renegade can be shocking at times...the Tali ******* after choosing to support the Geth for instance took be unawares...totally shocked me. But, yeah loving the game and the trilogy is the best I've ever played.

Choosing to renegade the Geth is pretty nasty too. I genuinely felt like a complete twat afterwards.. a lot of renegade interrupts during that scene. Fucking cold as ice.

#16 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

i loved it but it wasnt good as mass effect 2. which isnt a big deal, but i feel like it ended the series in a completely acceptable way and i liked the ending but felt there was stuff missing which im sure will be elbaratotered on in DLC.

#17 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1861 posts) -

Honestly, yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. People have been shitting on it so much that it's easy to forget what an amazing game ME3 really is. Sure, I hated the ending just about as much as anyone possibly could. But I'll be eagerly jumping back in as soon as Bioware releases DLC. The core gameplay is as strong as it has ever been, and the storytelling and choices are just as compelling as always. A few of the side missions felt too much like filler for me to really bother finishing, and sometimes the story focused more on Cerberus than I would've liked, but overall yeah, excellent game.

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Enigma777: Im having an internal battle on which is better, please share your knowledge as to why you think its better than ME2? You may save millions of lives...
#19 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

It's alright, nothing fantastic but ya know... they can't all be binary domain after all.

#20 Posted by myketuna (1668 posts) -

Definitely loved it. I like the story pacing in 2 more, but the combat in 3 is much improved in my opinion. Still has its quirks, but overall movement (a big deal during combat) is more fluid than 2. 

And I'm actually pretty ok with the ending, but like I've said in other ME3 threads, I just want to know what happens to the people I saved throughout the course of the game. All of a sudden they're forgotten about and I end up in some unknown world. But even then, once I shut down my PC that night, I did feel a bit like, "Wow...it's all over." (Listening to Vigil on repeat after that didn't help either).

I haven't been affected by a game like that since my Persona 4 playthrough.

#21 Posted by HistoryInRust (6287 posts) -

Absolutely. It's better than Mass Effect 2 in a couple of ways. Not all, of course, but the general combat is more fluid and the sense of scale has never been greater. The multiplayer is actually a welcome addition and I loved bringing closure to some of the formative plotlines in the Mass Effect universe.  

Sure, the ending is bunk, but the rest of the game is fantastic. 

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I enjoyed it.

#23 Posted by Korolev (1703 posts) -

I enjoyed it, on the whole. Yes, I do think they borked the ending up pretty badly, but that's just one part of the game and it didn't erase my enjoyment of most of it. I didn't enjoy it as much as ME2 (lack of good side quests, shorter length) but I still enjoyed most of it. I do think it has a weak start and an even weaker finish, but 80% of the game (the parts between the beginning and the end) were really, really, really, really strong. Which is why for many, the disappointing ending hurt even more.

I'm not one of the lunatics who insists that they change the ending (to what, exactly?) but I wouldn't be adverse to them explaining more about the ending, squaring away plot details and whatnot.

The multiplayer is fine - nothing special, but not bad. Something that will occupy you for a weekend or two before never playing it again.

Worth the price I paid, got entertained by it, was disappointed by the ending, but hey, I'm a big boy and I have more things to worry about than a bad video game ending.

Still.... it was a pretty poor ending.

#24 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@spilledmilkfactory said:

Honestly, yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. People have been shitting on it so much that it's easy to forget what an amazing game ME3 really is. Sure, I hated the ending just about as much as anyone possibly could. But I'll be eagerly jumping back in as soon as Bioware releases DLC. The core gameplay is as strong as it has ever been, and the storytelling and choices are just as compelling as always. A few of the side missions felt too much like filler for me to really bother finishing, and sometimes the story focused more on Cerberus than I would've liked, but overall yeah, excellent game.

Totally how I felt, it made me pretty sad to see so much negativity thrown at the game. As I said above, I can totally see why people are pissed at the ending, but overall as most people seem to agree, it was an awesome experience.
#25 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Enigma777: Im having an internal battle on which is better, please share your knowledge as to why you think its better than ME2? You may save millions of lives...

Better shooting, better level design, better combat encounters, larger and more detailed levels, brought back some inventory management in terms of weapon and armor customization, better set pieces, better conversations with your crew (and I love how they have their own convos between each other and move around the ship). Also while the new planet scanning thing is dumb and the reapers chasing you around is so, so lame, it's still less tedious than scanning a damn planet for minerals.

#26 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I enjoyed everything between the first and final mission a lot.

#27 Posted by tread311 (355 posts) -

One of my biggest issues was that the single player combat so often turned into wave based arenas, takes away from any feeling of progression from the level.

#28 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Better shooting, better level design, better combat encounters, larger and more detailed levels, brought back some inventory management in terms of weapon and armor customization, better set pieces, better conversations with your crew (and I love how they have their own convos between each other and move around the ship). Also while the new planet scanning thing is dumb and the reapers chasing you around is so, so lame, it's still less tedious than scanning a damn planet for minerals.

It drives me nuts when they say on the bombcast ME2's system was better because that is crazy talk. But you have made very good points, you just saved millions. Congratulations, what are you going to do next?
#29 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Frustrated by the end...but did I enjoy the rest of the game? Yeah! I've said it before - the real shame in how the end played out (and let's not bring that discussion in here) is that it has eclipsed the rest of the game, which is great.

Hell, I'm still playing it. Shame Origin doesn't keep track of how many hours you put into a game, though.

#30 Posted by Enigma777 (6069 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

It drives me nuts when they say on the bombcast ME2's system was better because that is crazy talk. But you have made very good points, you just saved millions. Congratulations, what are you going to do next?

Burn down Disney World?

#31 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

I love it. I've said it time and time again, that Mass Effect and Uncharted are my two favorite game series.

#32 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Aren't the many faces of Shepard fascinating? That smile is almost as amazing as Francis York Morgan's. Funny enough, Googling 'francis york morgan smile' brings up your forum post, so at least we're on the same page of face appreciation.

And it says something that people are so passionate about a game to be really upset over a major misstep with it. Brings hope, in a way, by seeing so much hate. Might make developers get their act together.

#33 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@RPGeesus

Did I just blow your mind?  I'd like you to meet Commander Francis York Shepard. Has a nice rhyme to it, don't you think Zach?
#34 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

After four playthroughs (2 on PC, 2 on 360) as well as about 80+ total hours sunk into multiplayer (mostly on 360), I really hope I enjoyed ME3, otherwise, I definitely have a serious problem (well I probably have a serious problem anyway.) Also I've come to appreciate the ending the more times I see it (it's been about six times now). But yeah, overall I really enjoyed the game, and the combat in particular, which was the part that surprised me the most. I also surprisingly really enjoyed the multiplayer, despite originally never intending to touch it at all (i.e. my first twenty minute session ballooned into an 8-hour one) and really only playing with randoms 99% of the time. Probably my favorite game of the year so far, next to Tales of Graces F.

#35 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Sure. ME3 has some great moments, endings notwithstanding.

#36 Posted by StarvingGamer (8123 posts) -
@Enigma777

Yes, it's better than ME2.

#37 Posted by WarlordPayne (697 posts) -

I, like a lot of people, hated the ending and the planet scanning stuff but other than that I absolutely loved the game. It's better than ME2 in so many ways that I'm not sure which one I prefer.

#38 Posted by RetroVirus (1468 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 made me tear up, more than once, and that doesn't happen often. Everything from the music to the combat was amazing. Except the end, but let's not focus on that.

#39 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

I loved it, which is the whole reason I want to erradicate the last 15 minutes of the game. :D

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7564 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Everything up until that moment in your spoiler tags was awesome. I liked the game, and like the gameplay a lot more in hindsight on my second playthrough.

Everything beyond right after you take the hit, and things get questioningly weird, well... we are still building a consensus. I'd have liked some more closure since this may well be the last Mass Effect related thing I buy if the series takes the turn down cash-cow boulevard. Nor do I hate that it's purposefully ambiguous (purposefully, until people complained enough that Bioware decided "sure, we'll (probably) sell you an ending!"). It is what it is.
#41 Posted by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

I really think that it comes full circle with mass effect 1 being the rpg then ME2 was the more shooter type n this one mixes both very well. As far as everything else like story decisions n characters to me ME3 is just awesome n it kinda built it self around the first two. The story is laid out in the first one n the bulk of characters r from the second one n in ME3 they are weaved perfectly. N really what I want to say it's a tie between all of them lol yeah I went there but it's just hard for me real emotional ride fucking loved it

#42 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

How do you not enjoy the game?

#43 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Yeah it's a good game - I really liked some of the story beats they hit with the Krogans vs Turians vs Salrians, with the Geth vs Quarians... but there was some stuff that could've been soooo much better: better squad mates, better dealing of characters from ME2 etc. I'm sure we've all hear it.

It's a good game - but I liked 1 the best personally.

#44 Posted by Gatehouse (596 posts) -

I pretty much loved about 95% of the game. Yeah we have the whole ending thing and the quest log/scanning is now where near great, but everything else was fantastic. Loved the pacing, loved the gameplay tweaks they've made and all the story stuff was just great. All I really wanted was more.

#45 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10809 posts) -

The fact that I didn't like the last mission (mainly due to pacing problems) doesn't negate the fact that I loved the previous thirty hours of the game (not even those silly fetch quests ruined the fun time I was having saving the galaxy).

I didn't like the ending when I first saw it, and at this point I've come to the conclusion that the whole "ending" the game has is just smoke and mirrors covering up the fact that the real ending is going to be DLC, and that's shady and downright dirty.

Moderator Online
#46 Posted by akeripper4 (153 posts) -

this one did like it indeed apart for that ending

#47 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@akeripper4

this one did like it indeed apart for that ending

Well done. Well done
#48 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

In short, yes. Despite all the controversy (which has gotten waaaaaaay overblown) I don't see anything knocking this game from the top of my Game of the Year list.

#49 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 killed my parents and raped my dog.

Great game, though.

#50 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

It's not in the same league as ME2, but overall it's still a good game.  It's a better game than it is a conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy.

2>>>1>3 for me.  I will say though, that I don't think ME2 did its job as a second act at all, and that a lot of the blame for ME3 not making for a particularly satisfying conclusion stems directly from that.  The main story thread came off the rails in ME2, which made the trainwreck at the end of ME3 pretty inevitable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.