Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

So... how do you hijack an Atlas?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I haven't figured it out yet. I thought taking an Atlas at the academy would definitely this achievement but I was wrong.

How does it work?

Do you just... walk up to an Atlas and a button prompt appears?

or what?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

You have to shoot the pilot first, preferably using one of the high caliber sniper rifles. High power damage to the canopy is key.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

I do believe you need to shoot the shit out of the pilot and make him fall out first, then run up and hit R3 I believe. It'll tell you what button to hit, but you need to be in front of the cockpit for the prompt to come up.

Buttenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 40

#4  Edited By Buttenator

Shoot out the glass and then kill the pilot, then walk up to it and climb in.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Shoot the glass than the pilot. I'd recommend a sniper rifle.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By korolev

As the others said, but you need a powerful sniper rifle. Don't use the Raptor or the Viper. Use the Mantis or any sniper rifle more powerful than that.

There's a great opportunity to do this in one of the side-missions in the single-player mode. I think the game even directly tells you to hijack one. It's fairly early on in the single player as well.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

I got lucky doing this when there were two of them in one of the last few missions of the game.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @rjayb89 said:

I got lucky doing this when there were two of them in one of the last few missions of the game.

Same because my squad would shoot it up as well and there is a bit of luck involved sometimes.
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Jiggah

If you're afraid that your party will kill the Atlas then you'll have to hope that the Atlas spawns with an centurion The centurion will throw a smokebomb which will blind the party then just keep shooting at the glass until the driver is dead.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

You have to shoot the cabin after the shield is down. 
    Then shoot the exposed pilot.
    The hop in.

HOWEVER: contrary to everyone recommending to use a sniper rifle. High end sniper rifles can actually frequently kill the mech before the cabin get exposed. Many many people cannot get achievement because of this. Powerfull sniper rifles do too much damage and you need a certain minimum nuber of shots not just damage to destroy the glass. DO NOT USE POWERFULL SNIPER RIFLES they offer no advantage and can make you instead fail.
    The glass of the cabin can be broken with any weapon as long as you keep shooting it. After the armor is about half way it will get exposed and you have to kill the pilot. All of this without destroying the mech. And then hop in.
    I have constantly failed to get the achievement because even on insanity upgraded rifles like Widow, Black widow, Javelin, etc will just kill the atlas before the cabin gets exposed. Because their damage is too high.
    Had to switch to a pistol to minimise my damage and voila easy peasy.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By onan

I was playing on normal. They recommend the mantis, but I guess with all my upgrades it was too powerful and the mech would explode well before that. Ended up bouncing down the list of sniper rifle damage to I think the Raptor. Basically, you need to hit it with 8-10 shots, and if the mech can't survive that many, you need to drop down to something lower.

I've tried it with pistols and it didn't work, so keep that in mind.

Also, keep in mind some mechs CAN'T be mounted, or are scripted to be mounted. Those don't count. The one I ended up doing it on, and the one I've seen other people do it with is the one that appears during Piority: Citadel.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Pfft, I did it with a Mantis on normal without any bother.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

I remember blasting the cockpit with my phalanx and nothing happened aside from a few cracks appearing. I guess I would need something with more firepower.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.