So I'm about 20 or so hours into Mass Effect 3....

#1 Posted by The_Ruiner (1034 posts) -

I realized that I'm at a point in the story where i could pretty much beat it..but i don't want to right away. So I do what i did in Mass Effect 1 and 2... I go looking for side quests... You know random crashing ships, or Mercenary bases, A geth outpost...something.... and there just aren't any...... there are just the 6 or 7 instances where they force you to play the multiplayer maps...and the fetching...and that's pretty much it....

There are 2 or 3 really unforgettable moments in this game (if you play renegade anyway)....but unless you're deeply into fan service...there's just not a whole lot to this game....and that's kind of a shame...

#2 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm 20 hours in and I still haven't went to the priority Tuchanka stuff...

#3 Edited by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

If you imported from Mass Effect 2, the more involved side quests revolve around your old squadmates. But other than that, there are only one or two combat side quests in between the priority missions. The priority missions also sometimes have multiple stages to them as well, to make them longer than they were even in Mass Effect.

#4 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I'm 20 hours in and I still haven't went to the priority Tuchanka stuff...

You must spend a lot of time scanning systems.

#5 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

I realized that I'm at a point in the story where i could pretty much beat it..but i don't want to right away. So I do what i did in Mass Effect 1 and 2... I go looking for side quests... You know random crashing ships, or Mercenary bases, A geth outpost...something.... and there just aren't any...... there are just the 6 or 7 instances where they force you to play the multiplayer maps...and the fetching...and that's pretty much it....

There are 2 or 3 really unforgettable moments in this game (if you play renegade anyway)....but unless you're deeply into fan service...there's just not a whole lot to this game....and that's kind of a shame...

The game isn't nearly as long as ME2. Jeff spoke to that on the podcast a few times.

#6 Posted by The_Ruiner (1034 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@The_Ruiner said:

I realized that I'm at a point in the story where i could pretty much beat it..but i don't want to right away. So I do what i did in Mass Effect 1 and 2... I go looking for side quests... You know random crashing ships, or Mercenary bases, A geth outpost...something.... and there just aren't any...... there are just the 6 or 7 instances where they force you to play the multiplayer maps...and the fetching...and that's pretty much it....

There are 2 or 3 really unforgettable moments in this game (if you play renegade anyway)....but unless you're deeply into fan service...there's just not a whole lot to this game....and that's kind of a shame...

The game isn't nearly as long as ME2. Jeff spoke to that on the podcast a few times.

It's not the the amount of side content...it's the quality of it... or lack there of

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@CL60 said:

I'm 20 hours in and I still haven't went to the priority Tuchanka stuff...

You must spend a lot of time scanning systems.

Barely any, usually only scan planets when there's a quest marked in the area.

#8 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

There's a war going on, man. There's no time for side-quests!

#9 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@CL60 said:

I'm 20 hours in and I still haven't went to the priority Tuchanka stuff...

You must spend a lot of time scanning systems.

Barely any, usually only scan planets when there's a quest marked in the area.

That's pretty insane then because I've done everything I could possibly do up to this point and I'm far beyond Tuchanka with only 24 hours.

#10 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@The_Ruiner said:

I realized that I'm at a point in the story where i could pretty much beat it..but i don't want to right away. So I do what i did in Mass Effect 1 and 2... I go looking for side quests... You know random crashing ships, or Mercenary bases, A geth outpost...something.... and there just aren't any...... there are just the 6 or 7 instances where they force you to play the multiplayer maps...and the fetching...and that's pretty much it....

There are 2 or 3 really unforgettable moments in this game (if you play renegade anyway)....but unless you're deeply into fan service...there's just not a whole lot to this game....and that's kind of a shame...

The game isn't nearly as long as ME2. Jeff spoke to that on the podcast a few times.

It's not the the amount of side content...it's the quality of it... or lack there of

ME2 was a very carefully constructed and directed experience. ME3 by the comparison is far more open ended. That definitely leads to some pacing problems, but I also think ME3 certainly has its moments. Just not enough of them to compare well against its predecessors, I suppose.

#11 Posted by myketuna (1672 posts) -

I'm about 30 hours in and I just passed the first major event. I don't know how I've been spending my time though...
 
I do scan planets, though. But that's still a lot of hours for where I am, I think.

#12 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@N7 said:

There's a war going on, man. There's no time for side-quests!

I've got to get my groove on with Tali.

The universe can wait.

#13 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@BrockNRolla: Really? I think ME3 is more directed than ME2. Seeing as there is only ever one main quest you can do at any time, instead of there being multiple characters to choose from and deciding in which order to do it. 
#14 Edited by thetrusammael (23 posts) -

This game is half of what ME2 was... I am approaching 30 hours and I am pretty sure I am in the tail end of the game. The multi is not bad, but nothing special. GoW3's horde mode blows is away in fun-factor. I would have rather them work on the single player instead of even entertaining the idea of multi. The worst part is how little of the squad from 2 you ever get to see. I made the most bad-ass merc crew in the galaxy and you are telling me that in this time of need they all have something better to do? F that. My Shepard would have put it on the line. Come with me or die. We all die if we fail anyway... so I you either join up with me now and fight to live, or deny me and die right now.

#15 Edited by Kedi2 (246 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I'm 20 hours in and I still haven't went to the priority Tuchanka stuff...

My insanity run only took me around 20 hours and I did everything. Did you leave your game running whilst away or something?

#16 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i'm like 35-39 hours into the game and still havn't beaten it. i've spent a lot of time getting 100% and i'm pretty sure i'm nearing the end now.

but yea there are no side missions really. the N7 missions are boring and fetch quests are really tedious without a good quest system

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

Weird. I beat it at around 50 hours. I mostly spent that time exploring the Citadel and talking to people.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I agree. More... side quests.... would ... ha...ve... been nice.

#19 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

@Phatmac: Did you take shore leave and chat around the ship after pretty much every mission? We're crazy people.

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

@Phatmac: Did you take shore leave and chat around the ship after pretty much every mission? We're crazy people.

Ha ha, I guess so. ME3 still had some great dialogue, especially with Javik.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11094 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

@Phatmac: Did you take shore leave and chat around the ship after pretty much every mission? We're crazy people.

Man, I used to make a run around my entire ship between missions. And I mean my entire ship. Checking in with Adams, checking where Jack used to be in case something showed up there, checking in with Chakwas, etc.

Online
#22 Posted by Boboblaw (282 posts) -

It took me 30 hours to finish ME3.
 
It was about 40-45 hours for ME2 but that was every side mission plus the DLC.

#23 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

It's the Third game in a series based on Player Choice.

The ridiculous amounts of Fan Service are what kept me from being pissed at the game when it was all said and done. Don't care how crappy the last 10minutes were, 30+ hours of absurdly awesome in jokes and references, how could I be mad at Bioware?

#24 Posted by The_Ruiner (1034 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@The_Ruiner said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@The_Ruiner said:

I realized that I'm at a point in the story where i could pretty much beat it..but i don't want to right away. So I do what i did in Mass Effect 1 and 2... I go looking for side quests... You know random crashing ships, or Mercenary bases, A geth outpost...something.... and there just aren't any...... there are just the 6 or 7 instances where they force you to play the multiplayer maps...and the fetching...and that's pretty much it....

There are 2 or 3 really unforgettable moments in this game (if you play renegade anyway)....but unless you're deeply into fan service...there's just not a whole lot to this game....and that's kind of a shame...

The game isn't nearly as long as ME2. Jeff spoke to that on the podcast a few times.

It's not the the amount of side content...it's the quality of it... or lack there of

ME2 was a very carefully constructed and directed experience. ME3 by the comparison is far more open ended. That definitely leads to some pacing problems, but I also think ME3 certainly has its moments. Just not enough of them to compare well against its predecessors, I suppose.

Not enough is kind of the theme of the whole game unfortunately...

#25 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

@TheHT: If there were pictures of the current Normandy SR-2 floor maps, I could easily draw the routes I took on each floor. As for the Citadel, it was always the embassies first to get whatever quest items I missed in a mission in the Spectre Terminal and start from the Presidium Commons up. It's an unhealthy obsession I have with all Mass Effect games.

#26 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@MaFoLu said:

@BrockNRolla: Really? I think ME3 is more directed than ME2. Seeing as there is only ever one main quest you can do at any time, instead of there being multiple characters to choose from and deciding in which order to do it.

You do have a choice to pursue a side mission with each character in ME2. That's a pretty clear structure though. Your option is always, "Pursue the main mission" or "Pursue a relationship mission." Once you clear out a character, you move on. You could leave them all until the end, or you could choose to pursue them along the way, but you're never diving down the rabbit hole on side missions. They are just one-off spokes from the main storyline.

In ME3 you end up with stacks of "distress signals" and people who want to "talk to you on the citadel" which leads to other missions. I'm not saying any of these are particularly deep, but there are a lot of them. Likewise, there are often multiple main storyline missions occurring at one time. You'll need to tackle them all before you move forward, but you can pursue them in the order you desire. I think that makes the game seem broader. Not deeper, not longer, but just more spread out and less directed.

#27 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@BrockNRolla: The thing with ME2, though, was that the main mission for a lot of the game was to gather up your party members, and those were the main quests. And you pretty much always had multiple of those at the same time. 
Maybe I'm just misremembering, but don't you always just have one "priority"-mission at a time in ME3? Sure, you could go and do those semi-main quests where you meet your old squad-members, but those didn't move the story along.  

Still, it's not really that important, but I just seem to remember ME2 having a bit more of a "here are a few main stuff to do, choose your order" while ME3 was more "stuff is happening here, go there and then we will open the next one".
#28 Posted by Bane (397 posts) -

I clocked about 40 hours up to the point right before returning to Earth. My total military strength was at 7,136 and of course I took my customary jog around the ship after every mission.

#29 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@MaFoLu said:

@BrockNRolla: The thing with ME2, though, was that the main mission for a lot of the game was to gather up your party members, and those were the main quests. And you pretty much always had multiple of those at the same time. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but don't you always just have one "priority"-mission at a time in ME3? Sure, you could go and do those semi-main quests where you meet your old squad-members, but those didn't move the story along. Still, it's not really that important, but I just seem to remember ME2 having a bit more of a "here are a few main stuff to do, choose your order" while ME3 was more "stuff is happening here, go there and then we will open the next one".

Yeah, you're right, they do break out the "go get these member" missions twice during the story. Those are all main storyline missions that you can pursue at your leisure. In that sense, that is up you to how to pursue the storyline.

I do seem to remember there being times though when priority missions broke up into multiple pieces during ME3.

The more I think about it, I don't think there is that much difference between the overall structure; they just decided to give things different names.

#30 Posted by TheHT (11094 posts) -

@rjayb89: haha, yup same here.

war room -> traynor -> messages -> joker -> thane's old room -> lounge -> mens washroom -> crew quarters ->ashley's room ->chakwas -> garrus' room -> liara's office -> jacks old room -> engineer area -> javik's room -> cortez -> citadel store terminal -> vega -> galaxy map

Online
#31 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@BrockNRolla said:

ME2 was a very carefully constructed and directed experience.

Yeah, not really. ME2 is a patchwork. A very nicely done and covered one, but it's still a patchwork. The game changed concepts on the fly - they shoehorned Cerberus into it shortly after the '09 E3 trailer. You can see evidence of that in Conrad's dialogue, Legion's cut content, the fact that Mordin was supposed to be a biotic, Grunt's reveal trailer, Jacob's look in that E3 trailer...

Sure, it's polished and well done, but it's no way in hell a carefully constructed and directed game.

#32 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

So... many... ellipses...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.