So the new mass effect multiplayer doesnt suck. discuss.

• 160 results
#1 Posted by rambo35 (15 posts) -

Iv managed to get in a couple of games of the mass effect multiplayer and wasnt expecting it to be any good but im really enjoying it. the progression system seems to be dead on with the actual game and its nice to see a weapon unlock system that gives you seemingly random upgrades, makes me feel that people who can play it more will always have the best weapons. might just be i love me some mass effect and im wondering how other folk feel

#2 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Indifferent. It's just a tacked on survival mode probably just so they can "justify" the online pass.

#3 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

My main problem with it is that I don't care about it. I'm tired of every game (even The Darkness II...wtf?!) having multiplayer. These developers know that their multiplayer modes aren't going to have legs and even if they're decent, they'll come and go in a flash. Meanwhile, it just pisses off people who buy the game more than thirty days from now and care about achievements and can't get them, because nobody is playing multiplayer anymore, and feels like a waste to everyone else. Invest that time and money into even further improving the single player experience. No matter how great that is, it can always be better. Throwing multiplayer onto everything is even more annoying than throwing 3D onto everything.

#4 Posted by Silver-Streak (1362 posts) -

@Branthog: To be fair, The Darkness 1 had multiplayer, and it was kinda interesting.

#5 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I don't care about it. I'm not motivated to do a survival mode co-op thing with people. It isn't why I care about Mass Effect. I probably won't touch it when I get ME3. The only reason I'll probably do it is to 100% like I did with ME2. And yes I love Mass Effect abnormally.

#6 Posted by pweidman (2337 posts) -

I think it's a damn fun mode. But I like co-op more than most. Anyway, if the sp campaign is great, this addition is gravy. But if the sp is lacking then we'll all be questioning why they spent the time and resources on the mp portion.

And if the demo is representative, this mode won't have much longevity imo. The maps could all be hold down lvls, and quite small I mean.

#7 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Eujin said:

@Branthog: To be fair, The Darkness 1 had multiplayer, and it was kinda interesting.

Really?! I didn't even know that. I bought it on launch. Played it part way through. THen owned it eer since then. And finally played it start to finish the weekend before Darkness II came out. This is the first time I realized it had multiplayer... wow. Anyway, I tried on launch day to play Darkness II multiplayer and there was nobody to play with. :/

#8 Edited by believer258 (11915 posts) -

I do wish we could leave multiplayer to DICE, Valve, and Bungie. Everyone else should just buzz off from the aspect unless they've got something legitimately new and interesting to check out.

EDIT: And Infinity Ward and Naughty Dog. I guess. And maybe Epic. Well, OK, but my point has been made.

#9 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

I like it, it's good fun with a full party of friends. I do wish I could trade some of the stuff I buy with other players though.

#10 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -

I found it enjoyable. It looks like everything is pulled from single player, like art assests, weapons and powers, so it dosent seem like the single player will suffer for this inclusion. The power makes it just diffrent to not just be any random horde mode, though it basically as, and as a free extra I think its pretty fun. All my friends are getting Mass Effect 3 around release so its another little game to play for a while. I would never say this mode is enough itself, even as a an XBLA title, but as a free non-intrusive thing sitting on disk? Its pretty good.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

When I finally play Mass Effect 3, I will not touch the multiplayer. So I don't care. Good for them and people that like that kind of gaming, I guess.

#12 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

I play Mass Effect like Dragon Age. Pausing combat every few seconds. So multiplayer isn't interesting for me really.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I love Mass Effect, I just really really really don't care for a multiplayer game about it.
I had the chance to play it online but I just don't care, nor will I when I have the retail game.

Now if they'd release a new Mass Effect spin off game and polish the shit out of it and make it a bit more meaningful then what it is now...then I'd be game!

#14 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

It's a pretty awesome new addition to play with friends. No one is forcing you guys to play it so stop complaining.

#15 Posted by RetroVirus (1473 posts) -

I can play as a motherfucking Krogan,so I have no complaints.

#16 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

@Branthog said:

My main problem with it is that I don't care about it. I'm tired of every game (even The Darkness II...wtf?!) having multiplayer. These developers know that their multiplayer modes aren't going to have legs and even if they're decent, they'll come and go in a flash. Meanwhile, it just pisses off people who buy the game more than thirty days from now and care about achievements and can't get them, because nobody is playing multiplayer anymore, and feels like a waste to everyone else. Invest that time and money into even further improving the single player experience. No matter how great that is, it can always be better. Throwing multiplayer onto everything is even more annoying than throwing 3D onto everything.

Only a few of the ME3 achievements are Online only. Every achieveoment can be obtained through MP or SP.

#17 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@RetroVirus said:

I can play as a motherfucking Krogan,so I have no complaints.

Whenever I see "Krogen" I think "Nancy Kerrigan".

#18 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Just because it isn't offensively awful doesn't mean I'll suddenly give a fuck and actually spend some serious time playing it. Like Dead Space 2, the multiplayer wasn't bad but why should I play that when I have tons of better choices?

#19 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

I am Jack's complete lack of interest.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

@bio595 said:

I play Mass Effect like Dragon Age. Pausing combat every few seconds. So multiplayer isn't interesting for me really.

Same here! The greatest sensation of playing the SP demo was getting back into my groove of pausing after like every 3 seconds.

#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@mcderby4 said:

It's a pretty awesome new addition to play with friends. No one is forcing you guys to play it so stop complaining.

If I were to stop complaining, I would stop using the internet. I would leave these forums never to return.
#22 Posted by Sgykah (95 posts) -

While I agree that shunting resources from the main point of a game can limit it's value, I feel that the multiplayer was an important change of thought pattern that has had a good effect on the single player. This is only a minor gripe at the community, but I feel an important side effect of working on multiplayer has to be improved single player balance. If multiplayer is done right, every class should have the right amount of survivability and playability. The game play will also become more fluid and fun as a side effect of this balancing. As a very simple example, I played both the first and second game as a sniping infiltrator on insanity. The class was fun to play, but if even the weakest enemy got within melee range, I had to restore a save, as I would die very quickly. This is in stark contrast to my friends who played the game as a vanguard. The demo for 3 didn't have the same imbalance for my infiltrator, because of the slightly improved melee and the shortened duration on cloak. I could be wrong, but in the past, these are improvements that are usually the side effect of multiplayer balancing.

Here's hoping that the story, the exploration, and the memorable characters didn't suffer for this improvement to gameplay. Which I think would be a more than valid gripe with the final product.

#23 Edited by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

I was upset when I heard they were shoehorning multiplayer into the game and was afraid it would somehow detract from the single player experience. Even though a whole separate team was supposedly working on just the multiplayer it didn't shake the worrisome thoughts. However I forced myself to try the multiplayer demo and here I am a day later with a level 19 Sentinel fresh off my first silver challenge victory and trying out my new rare card (yeah they're booster pack cards and that is what I shall call them) of the Widow sniper rifle.

Addicting. Very very addicting. The random prize element really attracts me and when your team isn't terrible it can be damn fun. This is coming from a guy who very rarely played multiplayer modes. One thing that bothers me though... the majority of people on there have thick southern accents and filthy racist mouths. I guess that's not news to veteran Live players but it's jarring to me when every male they see is an N-word and every female is a C-word,

Oh yeah and most of the people on there have never played a Mass Effect game. Mission accomplished for EA I suppose. Bleh.

#24 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

It's shitty and I can't believe people in this thread actually like it.

#25 Posted by kindgineer (2730 posts) -

Nothing wrong with it I suppose, it's more features for a wider audience to enjoy. I won't be part of that party enjoying it, but I am sure they are out there. The only thing I would wish for is Microsoft to ban multiplayer achievements. It's obvious this won't contend against the already present juggernauts so eventually some will be nearly impossible to obtain. Can't wait though, although the intro-level in the demo made me cringe at the Janine's I feel in the new combat-filled Mass Effect III.

#26 Posted by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

I think it's surprising great. Ive put several hours into it at this point and I still really like it. I probably wont play a ton of it after the game launches because SP is the important thing, but it's inoffensive and darn good on top of it. I cant see a lot of people dumping dozens of hours into it, but you absolutely could if you wanted to level every class up. As long as the single player hasn't gotten worse for some strange reason because of it I'm totally fine that it's there.

#27 Posted by Fruitcocoa (483 posts) -

"IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S EA AND EA DESTROYS EVERYTHING THEY TOUCH!"

Come on people, the multiplayer is great, and if you don't like it - don't play it. Simple as that. It's not like they made a shorter game because of the multiplayer.

#28 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@bio595 said:

Same here! The greatest sensation of playing the SP demo was getting back into my groove of pausing after like every 3 seconds.

I wish they had a stat for time paused v. time in action

#29 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

@Fruitcocoa said:

"IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S EA AND EA DESTROYS EVERYTHING THEY TOUCH!"

Come on people, the multiplayer is great, and if you don't like it - don't play it. Simple as that. It's not like they made a shorter game because of the multiplayer.

Man, I must've dropped some amazing acid, because I could've sworn I just read some common fucking sense on the Giant Bomb forums.

#30 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

My only problem with the multiplayer is that I've yet to have a full 4 man party last past the first wave, someone always gets dropped or leaves. Other than that I am having a surprising amount of fun with it. It's fast paced, difficult, and has quite a bit of depth and variety with all the skills and weapons.

#31 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@SockemJetpack: Yeah the booster card aspect of it makes me wonder why no one else really tries it. The Widow is freaking awesome btw, it can even pierce guardian shields and go through multiple enemies.

I also got the Asari adept and she's freaking awesome. Fully upgraded stasis with the bubble is ridiculous.

I like horde modes if they're done right and I think ME3 can stand right up to gears 3 on horde mode from what I've played so far.

#32 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

I heard the Vanguard was pretty overpowered. Close in for melee and then do a power activated by melee. Rinse, repeat, be way ahead of everyone else.

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

I fucking hate this "logic", especially when we're posting in a thread with "Discuss" on the title. If you don't like other people's opinions, ignore them, right?

Anyway, I'm sincerely indifferent about Mass Effect multiplayer. Heck, my interest is so low I'll wait some months to get ME3. If I ever get it at all.

#34 Posted by RetroVirus (1473 posts) -

@Branthog: Not surprising, since they both inspire violent attacks.

#35 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

@EmuLeader said:

I heard the Vanguard was pretty overpowered. Close in for melee and then do a power activated by melee. Rinse, repeat, be way ahead of everyone else.

You die very quickly in the multiplayer so you have to be careful when you're dashing around and their close range power strips off their shields, so there's a huge risk involved in using that. The human Vanguards definitely don't seem overpowered in comparison to some of the other classes. Also, being way ahead of everyone else doesn't matter. At the end of a game you get the combined experience of everyone on your team.

@maskedarcstrike: I was lucky enough to get the Asari Adept from that first free box you get when you start. The stasis bubble is incredible, and maybe a little overpowered, and I love that the Asari have a different roll and heavy melee. I'm really curious to see if the other races differ in any significant way.

#36 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm just done with the concept of Horde mode until it evolves. It's okay, but not really that great to me.

#37 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I would have liked a competitive multiplayer better than a horde mode, but it's superfluous to the Mass Effect experience either way.

#38 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

This is a terrible thread title. Discuss.

#39 Edited by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

Finaly was able to play it and man Im loving it .... never thought that the mechanics could blend into a multiplayer this good. I was rippin through my enemies with my vangard with charge and nova (oh sweetnes I tell ya). I think the unlock system is neat ... you may think that you are not getting a lot but , even tho it is random once you unlock a gun you can use it with whoever class you want ( so there wont be repetition if you play most classes). Altho more enjoyment could be had if the entire party uses their abilities and flanking techniques in unison (the best and most fun way to play it) , even lone wolfing it , it plays great. I understand why theres is no vs multiplayer (the unbalances would be huge) which is fine , altho you only get to enjoy 2 stages , they felt nice and tidy..... I will devout some time on the retail version to the multiplayer (wasnt going to , but this is very fun). March 6 cant come soon enough.

#40 Posted by Gringus (66 posts) -

You can play as a salarian. That's all the justification it needs.

#41 Posted by mushroomyakuza (22 posts) -

It's okay. For what it is, it's pretty great, but multiplayer just doesn't appeal to me all that much. Having said that I think the unlocking and upgrading system is actually quite smart. And playing as a Drell is cool.

Two questions though: will there be more playable races in the full game? Seems a little ridiculous that humans can be all classes but others are pretty limited. Wrex is a Vanguard for example, but in this Krogan are not a selectable race for Vanguard? Secondly, does anybody know if the data/exp etc. we unlock in the demo will carry over to the retail game, or is this strictly a beta type thing where we lose all progress once they shut the demo down?

#42 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Yeah the use of abilities make it way more interesting to me than the regular "shoot dudes" stuff from Gears horde mode and other shooters wich are just boring, it was so satisfying when those guys with shields showed up and I just spanwed the AI drone behind them then shoot them when they turn their backs much more elegant than just spraying them with bullets and is really fun too.

#43 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Claude said:

@mcderby4 said:

If I were to stop complaining, I would stop using the internet. I would leave these forums never to return.

Your idea, not mine.

#44 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@mcderby4 said:

I fucking hate this "logic", especially when we're posting in a thread with "Discuss" on the title. If you don't like other people's opinions, ignore them, right?

Anyway, I'm sincerely indifferent about Mass Effect multiplayer. Heck, my interest is so low I'll wait some months to get ME3. If I ever get it at all.

You don't like it, don't respond to it. I "discussed" my opinion about my feelings towards multiplayer. I'm not completely sold on the option either but it's a free addition alongside the already epic campaign. Stick to it, all the power to you mate.

#45 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1620 posts) -

I like it so far ... but I still have no idea how the MP stuff is supposed to connect to the singleplayer.

#46 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Think this through.

1. EA announced a while back that EVERY GAME that comes out must have a multiplayer component.
  2. All multiplayer components are connected to an online pass system.
  3. Online pass systems exist because of huge losses of cash on used games sells.
  4. Used games market are a bitch to publishers because it allows companies like GameStop to resell a game at full price -10$ and thats pure profit for them and none for the people who actually made the game.

Conclusion : Multiplayer is in everything because of GameStop. Blame them.

#47 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@2HeadedNinja: When you level a character to level 20, the cap, you can import them as a 'Galaxy at War Asset' to increase your overall Galactic Readiness Level.
#48 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -

Didn't like it when playing with randoms but me and 3 other friends started playing it and it was a blast.

#49 Posted by nathos (79 posts) -

I was pretty skeptical about the multiplayer, but after trying the demo last night, I'm rather impressed.

The game mode is solid, and it's a blast to play with friends. Pretty challenging too.

#50 Posted by Protome (347 posts) -

I had no interest in the multiplayer at all when it was announced, but the demo of it seemed fun. Seems like something I'll put a few hours into after finishing the story, if anyone is still playing at that point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.