(spoilers, more than on the bombcast at least. If you don't want to play ME3 read this tread. If you have not played the game yet but want to, run away from the internet until you finish it)
This week (March 13), the thing I feared the most happened... Jeff brought the entire crew with him in Mass Effect 3 bummer town. For every sentence of ok stuff said about ME3 this week on the bombcast there were 10 minutes conversations deconstructing every aspect that's not great about the game. Mass effect 3 is a fantastic game and I'm her to bring a counterweight to the big downer that was the bombcast these last 2 weeks.
Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first so we can discuss the good for longer
- there is a pacing problem, you get over it after 10 hours of gameplay
- no middle option in dialog, it's either ''more info'', paragon or renegade (didn't bother me since I never chose de middle option)
- the fetch quests/scanning thing is stupid
- the dream sequences are not good
- Some jank around cover sometimes
- the first few hours are to linear and not that great
- the ending isn't about your previous choices and is full of plot holes
And here's a laundry list of things that make ME3 a great game
- The combat is amazing. The controls are not has good has gears of war but it makes up for it with great variety. You do way more than just shoot dudes in this game
- Every class is a viable option this time around
- Unlike in ME2 they didn't fuck up the balance in higher difficulty levels.
- All choices I could remember and many ME3 reminded me about were addressed
- Every meaningful character from the other 2 games gets a cool story arc centered around stuff you learned in there loyalty missions or there past in general.
- The interaction you and your crew members is truly great
- Remember in the past 2 games when your squadmates didn't really ever acknowledge each other on the ship? They do now and the ship feels way more alive as a result
- There is way more than 2 guns per type and they all feel different.
- Shotguns are actually awesome now!
- High level of customization for you powers and skills
- Shepard can run better, roll out of the way and is way more agile.
- Biotic powers and power combos are satisfying has fuck
- You get call backs from every piece a DLC you purchased, even the ME1 one with the batariens
- Kaiden is very cool. I guess Ashley is to.
- The glorious sacrifice of some characters is always handheld with care
- There is so much content for characters that could be dead
- Some set piece moments are the best moments of the franchise.
- Some small character moments are some of the best moment of the franchise
- Some really funny jokes and callbacks
- Great vistas
- The progression is more organic than with ME2
- Not many people know this but YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ALL PARAGON OR RENEGADE, the persuasion system is based on reputation not alignment
- the writing is still very good (unlike in this post)
- The music was awesome
- It's better than ME1 and ME2 (which was my 2010 GoTY)
So yeah, when I heard Brad hesitation to play the game I realized that some people listening to the podcast could be missing out on a fantastic game because Jeff didn't like it very much. Don't forget that this guy hates Red Dead Redemption with a passion so sometimes he can be ho so wrong. In the end it's about personal opinion and since no one on the crew seems to want to fight for the game and tell Jeff he's full of shit I'm going to do just that. Here's hoping Vinny, Ryan, Brad or Pattrick will have better things to say next week cause I can't take it anymore. It's way to depressing.
Do you agree with me or do you think ME3 is worst thing ever or just plain old ''meh''?
EDIT: with the third ME3 related podcast this week, we saw some change in the crew's general opinion. Ryan vinny and patrick seem more into the whole thing. Of course, it also seems like Jeff is now totally shitting on the game on the bombcast and on twitter to counteract this reaction. Oh well...