Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Something all Mass Effect fans should read before ME3.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dylabaloo

I was browsing through the Bioware forums when I came across a very interesting link.

http://www.newsarama.com/games/10-must-know-facts-mass-effect-novels-comics-mass-effect-3-110707-1.html

This link has important plot points from the greater Mass Effect lore, such as books and comics. I always found these supplemental stories interesting but very daunting to read, and with the Mass Effect 3 coming out so soon these brief but well written plot points will suffice for me.

(Beware the link has spoilers for various Books and Comics if you're currently reading them)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Animasta

aw I thought you were going to post the spoilers about EDI and joker

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've read the books and the overall info is fine, but:

There is some personal guesswork and assumptions in that article as well as several wrong facts. There is also an unnecessary amount of personal infliction (ie the writer is pushing his own moral views and outlooks)

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By time allen

why aren't any of these things in the games? a lot of this stuff is more interesting than the stuff the games actually do show us lol.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Anyone that wanted to bother reading that would have just read the wiki.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

I thought Mass Effect Deception was a train-wreck and is so against what happens in the games it's not even funny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

@Doctorchimp said:

I thought Mass Effect Deception was a train-wreck and is so against what happens in the games it's not even funny.

When you say ''against what happens'', do you mean it contradicts well established fiction (All Krogan's are yellow! Cerberus is actually run by Conrad Verner!)? Or is it putting its foot down and solidifying what is the ''canon'' outcome for some of the ambiguous decisions from the previous games (like, Uldina is the Council rep no matter what)?

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Finscher
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Abyssfull said:

@Doctorchimp said:

When you say ''against what happens'', do you mean it contradicts well established fiction (All Krogan's are yellow! Cerberus is actually run by Conrad Verner!)? Or is it putting its foot down and solidifying what is the ''canon'' outcome for some of the ambiguous decisions from the previous games (like, Uldina is the Council rep no matter what)?

Well established fiction.

"Canon Outcome" is also determined in the better books, and I think they roll with the Renegade endings. But I think that has to do with the author having to pick an outcome to keep the story going.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By rapid

The only Novel I read, on audio book was Retribution which I like a lot, then I tried to get into Revelations but was hard to get into and never finished it.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Teran

@Dylabaloo: Interesting stuff, but I wish people would stop throwing around "canon" when describing something like Udina.

When we make decisions in the ME games they are immediate but we are not guaranteed that our decision will stand until we decide otherwise. We might have put Anderson in the council seat but Anderson didn't make a promise to us that he'd serve in that capacity for the rest of his life. Choosing to step down as councilor in the face of conflict with the reapers makes sense but doesn't mean it is a canon choice or that it undoes player decisions in the games. The books and comics are full of information contradictory to the games but that doesn't mean those inconsistencies overwrite the game lore.

Most of the rest of the info is very interesting though, thank you for the link!

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dylabaloo

@Tennmuerti said:

I've read the books and the overall info is fine, but:

There is some personal guesswork and assumptions in that article as well as several wrong facts. There is also an unnecessary amount of personal infliction (ie the writer is pushing his own moral views and outlooks)

I kind of liked the personal infliction's, gave it a bit more life than a wiki entry. Never read the books, just wondering what facts were wrong; don't want my Mass Effect info to be wrong.

@Teran: You're welcome. I have to agree with your view of the term "Canon". I thought the most interesting part of the link was the Kai Leng backstory, and I have heard rumours of the illussive man having an 'understudy' in ME3; it will be interesting to see them bring the books into the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Toms115 said:

why aren't any of these things in the games? a lot of this stuff is more interesting than the stuff the games actually do show us lol.

They are in the game, though.  Anderson basically tells you the entire plot of Revelation when you ask him about his history with Saren (from his point of view, at least).  Tali and the quarians tell you a shard of the plot of Ascension when you ask what the quarians' deal with Cerberus is.  Lair of the Shadow Broker deals heavily in the events of the comic (Feron was introduced there).  Retribution and Deception came out after ME2.

Also, it's a lot faster and cheaper to publish novels or comics than it is to develop video games.  The games should have their own stories instead of reiterating the books, and the same is true in reverse.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benpicko

I thought this was going to be a troll post about that new book that everybody's complaining about.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By time allen

@Brodehouse said:

@Toms115 said:

They are in the game, though. Anderson basically tells you the entire plot of Revelation when you ask him about his history with Saren (from his point of view, at least). Tali and the quarians tell you a shard of the plot of Ascension when you ask what the quarians' deal with Cerberus is. Lair of the Shadow Broker deals heavily in the events of the comic (Feron was introduced there). Retribution and Deception came out after ME2. Also, it's a lot faster and cheaper to publish novels or comics than it is to develop video games. The games should have their own stories instead of reiterating the books, and the same is true in reverse.

fair enough. i stand corrected.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jetsetwillie

when i finish reading every other book worth reading then il get to reading video game fiction.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Yanngc33

@jetsetwillie said:

when i finish reading every other book worth reading then il get to reading video game fiction.

I agree.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Enigma777

@Yanngc33 said:

@jetsetwillie said:

I agree.

So do the Dragon Age books... Ugh...

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mutha3

Fuuuuuuuccccckkkkk that Illusive man bullshit. God, that's stupid. I think they literally just ruined the character for me. DAMN YOU, OP

I'm going to pretend I never read that and hope none of it gets brought up in ME3 :/

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrosnite

I only read the titles... knew most of it...

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

Give me the story in the game or eff you, developer. I want to play games and not subject myself to some cross-media marketing plans.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By swoxx

I've read all the novels. I'm good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai

Go read some good sci-fi fictions like the Dune series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@CptBedlam: Drew Karpyshyn writes the games and the books.  If you like his writing in the games, why would you be against his writing elsewhere?  Do you not like the writing in the games?
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dylabaloo

@mutha3: You had a choice. What about specifically ruined the illusive man for you, it all jived well for me.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

@Enigma777 said:

@Yanngc33 said:

@jetsetwillie said:

I agree.

So do the Dragon Age books... Ugh...

I tried reading the first ME book. You're not missing much. Got halfway through and just got way too bored to finish it. Nothing fucking happens. And aside from that, the writing is just really, really stale. It's written way too simply and feels like a Goosebumps novel. Drew Karpyshyn's writing might be alright for the games, but his books (at least the first ME one) are shit.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FreakAche

@Mordukai said:

sci-fi fictions

Department of redundancy department.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TorMasturba

@Toms115 said:

Because the ME games are dialogue and vocal focused storytelling, with some limited text based information thrown in. With considerable amounts of deviation from a singular storyline path and many sidemissions too.

And the books are solely written based information focused on one story/quest/mission that doesn't really deviate to other missions and so can focus on each aspect of it's story arc with considerably more detail than an ME video game ever could.

It would simply be too boring and entirely the wrong setting to sit down and find all this information out in a ME game rather than a book.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.