*Spoilers* Question about Protheans

#1 Posted by leviathan (197 posts) -

So I just finished the mission where you go to eden prime and find that last surviving prothean.

However, in some of the things the prothean says, he speaks like he knows the asari and krogan races.

My question is, how does he know? My understanding was that the protheans were alive, fought the reapers, lost, whole universe is dead, and is reset, then asari, krogan, humans, salarians etc. are born.

#2 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -
@leviathan

Reapers don't kill everyone, just the advanced races.
Think about it if they killed all sentient life, 50,000 years is nowhere near enough for new sentience to develop.
At the time of the last cycle the krogan, asari, human, salarian, quarian races were all primitives.
#3 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

This gets directly explained in the game

#4 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

They were in earlier stages of evolution, and the Protheans were monitoring them to determine when they would be intelligent enough to join their empire, sometimes helping them along the way.

The Reapers ignored them because they were still too primitive, in order to allow them to eventually discover the Mass Relays and be harvested themselves, @leviathan .

#5 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

You should probably wait until you beat the game before you ask this question, otherwise you're likely to get spoilers of your own.

But yeah, what Ten said. An example of a species that won't be targeted in this cycle is the Yahg. (They can be spotted in the Lair of the Shadow Broker ME2 DLC and in the Priority: Sur'Kesh mission in ME3).

Bring Javik along to everything, the shit he says throughout the game is amazing. Love the dialogue on Sur'Kesh especially, he freaks out the poor Salarian scientists.

#6 Posted by leviathan (197 posts) -

Ohhhhhhh that makes a lot of sense. Lol
Thanks for the replies guys

#7 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Reapers only kill the spices capable of space travel. Later he will tell you how primitive the humans/krogans/asari were.

Also in the first Mass Effect you can actually find a Prothean artifact that tells they were observing humans.

#8 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Reapers only kill the spices capable of space travel.

Uh oh, coriander is FUCKED. The future is yours, chili powder.

(Sorry, you made me shoot water out of my nose.)

#9 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

@onan said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Reapers only kill the spices capable of space travel.

Uh oh, coriander is FUCKED. The future is yours, chili powder.

(Sorry, you made me shoot water out of my nose.)

And that's why spell check sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.