Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

(SPOILERS) Renegade Ending speculation

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jillsandwich

A friend of mine who has read in to the leaked story details likened the Renegade ending to the game to the Helios ending from the original Deus Ex.

Does Shepard become a Reaper? That sounded really dumb to me the first time I thought of it, but the more I think about the prospects, the better it sounds...

(If you happen to have read the details, and I'm correct, please don't just straight-up say it...)

jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jackelbeaver

Thanks for NOT saying you were talking about ME3 spoilers specifically in the topic title. Some people might click this and think youre talking about the renegade ending of ME2, which feeds directly into what we know of me3.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

@jackelbeaver said:

Thanks for NOT saying you were talking about ME3 spoilers specifically in the topic title. Some people might click this and think youre talking about the renegade ending of ME2, which feeds directly into what we know of me3.

This thread is in the ME3 forum. You can see it right at the bottom of the thread link on the forum page.

As for Shepard turning into a Reaper, I think that ending would be terrible and unlikely. It doesn't fit the overall ideology of "Paragon" and "Renegade" that has been pushed in ME1 and 2. The morality system of the ME series isn't good versus bad. It is the decision to favor your species versus every other species (... or at least the Citadel races). I think the likely ending of ME3 would be:

• Paragon: Shepard sacrifices either himself/crew or humanity for the greater good of the Citadel races.
    • Renegade: Shepard takes the opportunity of better his and humanity's position over the other Citadel races.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

If they totally do turn Shepard into a Reaper for one of the endings, if not during the story, well... called it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

@Andorski said:

@jackelbeaver said:

This thread is in the ME3 forum. You can see it right at the bottom of the thread link on the forum page.

As for Shepard turning into a Reaper, I think that ending would be terrible and unlikely. It doesn't fit the overall ideology of "Paragon" and "Renegade" that has been pushed in ME1 and 2. The morality system of the ME series isn't good versus bad. It is the decision to favor your species versus every other species (... or at least the Citadel races). I think the likely ending of ME3 would be:

• Paragon: Shepard sacrifices either himself/crew or humanity for the greater good of the Citadel races.
    • Renegade: Shepard takes the opportunity of better his and humanity's position over the other Citadel races.

Well, having a human-shaped Reaper would be terrible and unlikely as well.

Anyway, I don't know. I think the Renegade ending would, more than likely, involve Shephard inducing an oppressive and militaristic totalitarian state (after helping everyone to gain their loyalty) which he then uses to first defeat the Reapers and then become conqueror of the universe.

Until he comes across Simon, that is.

Yeah, I have no clue how the hell they're going to pull this off without some cheesy Macguffin or stupendously insane deus ex machina.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shit shit shit shit why the fuck did I click on this :O

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @Andorski said:

@jackelbeaver said:

that's just the ending of ME1
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Andorski said:

@jackelbeaver said:

Calling it SPECULATION and then posting information from the leaked script is very bad form. Speculation is having no idea, while the script might be true or false I'd say that's a step above speculation....

He really should have clarified that he was talking about the leaked script in the title. I thought he was talking about Mass Effect 1 and 2 spoilers to speculate on Mass Effect 3.

I already looked through the leaked script, but he could be more careful.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

@kingzetta: and ME2. The choice of what to do with the Reaper tech (totally forgot what exactly it was) either benefited humanity or the Citadel races as a whole. It's the basis of Mass Effect's morality system and thus has to be the ending of the trilogy.

@believer258: Having ME2 end with a Reaper fight is not a bad idea. The problem was the reaper looked like half of a terminator and the boss fight from a gameplay standpoint was dull and repetitive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know whether it's true or not, but I predicted that "turning into" (for lack of a better term) a Reaper was going to be one ending in Mass Effect 3 before I even finished the first game. On one hand, I hope Bioware doesn't do something that predictable, but on the other, it's all about the execution, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By thatfrood

@believer258 said:

Anyway, I don't know. I think the Renegade ending would, more than likely, involve Shephard inducing an oppressive and militaristic totalitarian state (after helping everyone to gain their loyalty) which he then uses to first defeat the Reapers and then become conqueror of the universe.

Holy...

Oh dear lord, my mind is blown.

No like, Fuck. It's perfect.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TentPole

Poor taste

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@Andorski said:

@kingzetta: and ME2. The choice of what to do with the Reaper tech (totally forgot what exactly it was) either benefited humanity or the Citadel races as a whole. It's the basis of Mass Effect's morality system and thus has to be the ending of the trilogy.

@believer258: Having ME2 end with a Reaper fight is not a bad idea. The problem was the reaper looked like half of a terminator and the boss fight from a gameplay standpoint was dull and repetitive.

It was the twist that I meant - that they were creating a human reaper that looked like a Terminator. That and the boss fight sucked.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Yanngc33

It's the end of Shepard's story, he's going to die either way

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By jillsandwich

@ThatFrood said:

@believer258 said:

Holy...

Oh dear lord, my mind is blown.

No like, Fuck. It's perfect.

Fuck, people keep telling me to watch that anime.

In response to people calling poor taste on my part, I apologize, I could have made the title more specific, even though this is the ME3 forum. Also, as I stated, I have no idea if this is true. This is purely speculation based on pretty vague hearsay from a friend of mine who's read the leaked details.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.