Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Tell me what you find lacking?

• 58 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I just played through the demo (PC) and there are several issues I have with it.

• No Gamepad Support and hence no Rumble - all the explosions and the screenshaking just feels off without rumble. Blech. You got to be dimwitted to scrap gamepad support entirely. Also - I hate doing lengthy conversations with KB&M, because I like taking in my exposition laid back and comfy.
    • Spacebar is completely overburdened (cover, sprint, interact, strafejump).
    • Interactive elements aren't indicated clearly enough by the HUD and the range is abysmal. In previous Mass Effect games it was pretty much impossible to miss an interactive element. I bet they listend to all the asshole reviewers or some focustest, who hate the 'follow the indicator' paradigm of modern playability. I fucking hate 'search the pixel'. Fucking postmodern bullshit of going 2 steps back.
    • I hate vignetting (blood effect) and sound distortion when wounded, especially when it's as overdone as in ME3. Designers tend to get more extreme with that shit, because it's 'so immersive'. Well - it's in stark contradiction to playability and it sucks. Gameplay impacting vignetting is retarded.

I can't emphasize enough how much I HATE these things. Especially not having native 360-template gamepad support is an atrocity. EA might not want to miff Sony over having Xbox prompts on a PC game, but god dammit it's the platform standard and I argue the gameplay experience of Mass Effect is better suited to a gamepad to begin with. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK.

So - off to try out the PS3 version and checking if I can live with the graphical downstep or not. God fucking dammit.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Freshbandito

your Faith, and it disturbs me.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Lets have this discussion after the full game is released.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

I already knew there would be no gamepad support since it's a Bioware game and I don't really mind it, if I really wanted it that bad I can map everything to a DS3 with motioninjoy.

On the case of the spacebar being overburdened, that's what alternative binds are for. I don't know if you can have more than two binds though, maybe if you manually edit the config.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Freshbandito said:

Nice.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah the lack of proper input support (ie controller) on the PC version ruins it for me, just like it did with ME2. I guess I'll get around to buying ME2 again on 360 so I can get around to finishing it, then get ME3 on the same platform. There's no way I'm playing this sitting at my desk, even if there IS a way to import my Shepard from another platform.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doobie

your unhappy with a game. now there's a surprise

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

Generic art style, bland story, boring dialogue and quests, no challenge even on hard.... oh wait this is not a thread about Amalur? Color me suprised.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@doobie said:

What? I'm gonna love ME3, that's one thing for sure. Doesn't mean I can't be unhappy with ASPECTS of it though.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By emergency

Yeah, I agree with the points that you mentioned. I did like the new rolling and such, but there is just too much on the spacebar, it blows. Personally I wouldn't use a gamepad for this game, did they confirm it not to be in the full release? I don't see why it wouldn't. Also, the graphics are lacking in places and I feel like some HD textures for pc would be great though unlikely. Finally, I also noticed the range of interactable objects to be way down. I'm currently going through ME2 and its huge there, which is great cause I don't wanna have to explore every nook and cranny extensively simple because I don't wanna miss any spare parts.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Freshbandito said:

You're my hero.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By defaultprophet

The items you can interact with LITERALLY GLOW AND PULSE. I don't think you know what pixel hunt means

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

How people react to a demo. That's what I find lacking.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By phrosnite

For me it was lacking the co-op stuff... I have to wait until Friday to play it! F you EA!

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ABK_92

Stop bitching and moaning and play the damn game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:

@doobie said:

What? I'm gonna love ME3, that's one thing for sure. Doesn't mean I can't be unhappy with ASPECTS of it though.

No no, this is too complex for us. You either love it as a fanboy or hate it as a h8er, there's no such thing as loving it and scrutinizing it, we don't function on that high a level. You see, I hate Battlefield 3, haven't you heard? 

@Mr_Skeleton said:

This isn't a beta, it's a demo. What's in the demo is exactly what's in the game.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By FreakAche

@AhmadMetallic said:

This isn't a beta, it's a demo. What's in the demo is exactly what's in the game.

Not necessarily true. This demo build has apparently been kicking around for a while.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subjugation

@Freshbandito said:

Of course this would be the first post.

Sgykah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sgykah

I believe that the developers have stated that the demo is an early build and not the shipping product (possibly the E3 demo...). I've been hunting the internet for the developer quote that confirms this, but I cannot find it. So in my mind, it's possible that this is the state of affairs.

Also, it's EA, they seem to be trying very hard to marginalize the PC gamer. Thank god I gave up on PC gaming (not saying it's an inferior platform by any menas, just that there really is something to be said for not having the Steam icon right underneath the Microsoft Word icon).

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ChaosDent

It seems to have all the problems that Mass Effect 2 had in terms of control and user interface on PC. Moreover, it still has all the hallmarks of the structural issues I had with Mass Effect 2 with cleanly delineated story and mission level areas which led to a lot less interesting level design, limited exploration, and no chance of combat springing up in any of the safe zones.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aetheldod

@phrosnite said:

For me it was lacking the co-op stuff... I have to wait until Friday to play it! F you EA!

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VoshiNova

It sounds like you should play the 360 version man; as far as the control issues go.

But I've been playing the PC ports of Mass Effect and they all have very similar M+KB controls, if not identical.

But I totally feel ya, I've always hated the lack of controller support on these games - I actually spent a good while digging for an xpadder-ish setup for the first two and....yea no. :(

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Schatzy23

@Freshbandito said:

Son of a bitch. You beat me to it!

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@FreakAche said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Not necessarily true. This demo build has apparently been kicking around for a while.

Obviously one should judge a demo. It's a fucking demo afterall.

That's not to say that there won't be improvements in the final version, but you cannot tell me someone mustn't complain about the lack of gamepad support in a demo, that's just stupid.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By big_jon

Choices seemed to lack impact, that's about it though.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bwheeeler

Fantastic!! A topic where we can bitch about what we think Mass Effect 3 will be like.

Finally.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Lnin0

As a movie it would be fantastic...if they would just cut out the boring sections....like all of the gameplay moments.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli

@AhmadMetallic:

I hate BF3 too. With a fiery passion. Doesn't stop me from loving it a bit. And playing it every now and then. Then the virtual sun burns the eyesight out of my retinas and I flip it the finger... 'til next time.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:

@AhmadMetallic:

I hate BF3 too. With a fiery passion. Doesn't stop me from loving it a bit. And playing it every now and then. Then the virtual sun burns the eyesight out of my retinas and I flip it the finger... 'til next time.

I think the point of my post totally flew over your head. I was being sarcastic.. I don't hate BF3, I love it to pieces.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pinworm45

me2 didn't have gamepad support either.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Phatmac

Jesus, gamers making ME3 the next coming of Christ is what I hate. Guess what, it isn't going to be the best game ever nor is it going to do everything that YOU want it to.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By canucks23

I honestly prefer kb/m for the ME games. Aiming feels way better, and i like having more abilities being mapped to individual buttons.

I totally agree with the overuse of the spacebar thing though, i feel like it should at least be a separate key for interacting with things, and maybe a double tap to roll. Also agree with the way that you have to be right up on something to see that you can interact with it, unlike the previous two games. Textures that don't look like total ass wouldn't hurt either.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shaunk

The game in general is not for me. Nothing against the series, I generally just don't like the location of space.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Deranged

@Seppli said:

I just played through the demo (PC) and there are several issues I have with it.

• No Gamepad Support and hence no Rumble - all the explosions and the screenshaking just feels off without rumble. Blech. You got to be dimwitted to scrap gamepad support entirely. Also - I hate doing lengthy conversations with KB&M, because I like taking in my exposition laid back and comfy.
    • Spacebar is completely overburdened (cover, sprint, interact, strafejump).
    • Interactive elements aren't indicated clearly enough by the HUD and the range is abysmal. In previous Mass Effect games it was pretty much impossible to miss an interactive element. I bet they listend to all the asshole reviewers or some focustest, who hate the 'follow the indicator' paradigm of modern playability. I fucking hate 'search the pixel'. Fucking postmodern bullshit of going 2 steps back.
    • I hate vignetting (blood effect) and sound distortion when wounded, especially when it's as overdone as in ME3. Designers tend to get more extreme with that shit, because it's 'so immersive'. Well - it's in stark contradiction to playability and it sucks. Gameplay impacting vignetting is retarded.

I can't emphasize enough how much I HATE these things. Especially not having native 360-template gamepad support is an atrocity. EA might not want to miff Sony over having Xbox prompts on a PC game, but god dammit it's the platform standard and I argue the gameplay experience of Mass Effect is better suited to a gamepad to begin with. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK.

So - off to try out the PS3 version and checking if I can live with the graphical downstep or not. God fucking dammit.

From what I've heard, they turned off a lot of the interactive elements for the purpose of the demo.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lagaroth

My main complaint with the demo is the spacebar. I want to be able to rebind all of those actions to separate keys. They included Windowed(No Border, or whatever they call it) so that's a plus.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By mosdl

Sex scenes were lacking!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

@Phatmac said:

Jesus, gamers making ME3 the next coming of Christ is what I hate. Guess what, it isn't going to be the best game ever nor is it going to do everything that YOU want it to.

How do you know it won't be the best game ever, given that it hasn't released yet, and how do you know what I want, so as to know ME3 won't have it?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38  Edited By Phatmac

@Pinworm45: Time travel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr_Skeleton said:

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Phatmac: Actually it seems like people are hating on it more and treating it like the anti christ is coming. From what I gathered its because they showed 2 on rails sections of a game that is probably more than 20 hours long, Ashley took her hair down, and some girl named Jessica Chobot is in it oh yeah and James Vega seems like a hardcore military dude with a mohawk. Me I think I am really going to love it and can't wait to finish this trilogy. I don't think its the second coming of Christ but I think it will be a good game. I have this real bad habit of enjoying video games the majority of the time instead of breaking trailers down piece by piece and hating on it before I played the full retail version of it.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By dtat

@ABK_92 said:

Stop bitching and moaning and play the damn game.

Thank you for adding to the conversation.

Yeah man I'm really disappointed that there's no 360 pad support. In this day and age? Really? I figured they would have learned their lesson after Mass Effect 2. I'm honestly shocked.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Seppli

@DeShawn2ks said:

@Phatmac: Actually it seems like people are hating on it more and treating it like the anti christ is coming. From what I gathered its because they showed 2 on rails sections of a game that is probably more than 20 hours long, Ashley took her hair down, and some girl named Jessica Chobot is in it oh yeah and James Vega seems like a hardcore military dude with a mohawk. Me I think I am really going to love it and can't wait to finish this trilogy. I don't think its the second coming of Christ but I think it will be a good game. I have this real bad habit of enjoying video games the majority of the time instead of breaking trailers down piece by piece and hating on it before I played the full retail version of it.

Ain't the second coming of Christ the coming of the Anti-Christ? Because the second time around christ doesn't come with his shittty lamb attitude, but rather acting like a lion? I must brush up on my end-of-days christianity. Or somebody make a movie about an ass-kicking Jesus with a lionmane. 'Christ 2 - Return of the Lionmane'

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By djaoni

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Indeed, you can only judge a game after you've paid for it and finished it 7 times.

@Mordukai said:

How people react to a demo. That's what I find lacking.

Yeah, demos are not about showing off your game, people. When will they learn?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By 137

WHO THE FUCK PLAYS PC GAMES WITH GAMEPADS??? HONESTLY that's what my consoles are for.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Seppli: No idea but I would watch that.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Text chat in the PC multiplayer would be really handy.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Seppli: Dude just play it on 360. Mass Effect has always been a console game first and foremost. Bioware has this weird thing where they believe that if you're buying the PC version of their game, it's because they think you want to play with KB+M. I don't blame them, considering every console game that gets a PC port is often blasted by PC enthusiasts for not only including gamepad support, but recommending it. But hey, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By phrosnite

Disable "mouse dampening" for better mouse control :)

I like that now you can just go to your "dead" teammate and revive him. :) Love the customization and everything. I agree that combat roll should have a different key but I got used to it. I get out of cover by pressing back.

ME3 will definitely have the best gameplay in the series. There is no way the story will be as good as ME1 but it might be better than 2 :P

Can't f-ing wait to play it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By StarvingGamer

The only thing the demo lacked was the rest of the game so I could PLAY THE GODDAM THING ALREADY.

Although yeah, having sprint and interact on the same button (rebound to left shift thank you) was throwing me off.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@FreakAche said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I've always found that really weird. Why release a demo thats of an earlier build that probably doesn't have the same polish as the finished product? Most people won't know its an early build and will just assume the final product is unpolished.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.