Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

The ending must be astoudingly bad

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

Edited By Alphazero

Judging by the achievements, I'm probably a little over halfway done with the single player campaign of Mass Effect 3 and all I can say is, man, the ending must really suck. I'm not there yet, I've more or less not had the ending spoiled, but for the amount of hate syrup being poured on the Mass Effect 3 pancake (with vitriol butter) the ending has got to just be the worst thing ever in the history of story telling to offset how much fun it's been thus far.

There are some odd animation glitches, sure, but I just played a bit where you are dropped off on a planet directly into a Normandy (the beach, not the ship) style battle that was straight up awesome. I like the improved shooting, Shepard seems to handle better, and I really, honestly, truly love the multiplayer. It's not the most original thing in the world, sure, but fighting off the horde in the science fictional lens-flared future is great. I'm having a blast with it. It even cribs some good things from Borderlands and Diablo that trigger my ever present loot lust. I've got numbers, sure, but I could always have *better* numbers. That's why they're numbers.

I liked the crew you ran with better in ME2, I think Edie's hair looks stupid in 3, some aspects of the development feel rushed, and sometimes Shepard's head is twisted 90 degrees away from the person I think he's supposed to be looking at, but I reckon he gets shy. There are problems, but so far I love it to death.

I can't WAIT to get so foot stompingly angry at the ending. I bet I'll hate it so much it'll be a contender for game of the year. Hell, I bet I'll love it because I'm perverse like that. I bet I even can guess what it is.

So excited.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Alphazero

Judging by the achievements, I'm probably a little over halfway done with the single player campaign of Mass Effect 3 and all I can say is, man, the ending must really suck. I'm not there yet, I've more or less not had the ending spoiled, but for the amount of hate syrup being poured on the Mass Effect 3 pancake (with vitriol butter) the ending has got to just be the worst thing ever in the history of story telling to offset how much fun it's been thus far.

There are some odd animation glitches, sure, but I just played a bit where you are dropped off on a planet directly into a Normandy (the beach, not the ship) style battle that was straight up awesome. I like the improved shooting, Shepard seems to handle better, and I really, honestly, truly love the multiplayer. It's not the most original thing in the world, sure, but fighting off the horde in the science fictional lens-flared future is great. I'm having a blast with it. It even cribs some good things from Borderlands and Diablo that trigger my ever present loot lust. I've got numbers, sure, but I could always have *better* numbers. That's why they're numbers.

I liked the crew you ran with better in ME2, I think Edie's hair looks stupid in 3, some aspects of the development feel rushed, and sometimes Shepard's head is twisted 90 degrees away from the person I think he's supposed to be looking at, but I reckon he gets shy. There are problems, but so far I love it to death.

I can't WAIT to get so foot stompingly angry at the ending. I bet I'll hate it so much it'll be a contender for game of the year. Hell, I bet I'll love it because I'm perverse like that. I bet I even can guess what it is.

So excited.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By badsmalltalker

I had the same feeling as I was working my way through the game. I was expecting to be blindsided with something horrible that would make me want to throw my controller or something.

But what happened was I got there, stuff happened, and I just went ".......huh."

It was a slow realization of what I had seen as I tried to make sense of it all afterwards, and that was when I was convinced that it was kinda unfulfilling. I never the joined the mob with my pitchfork, though. I just let it be, because even if the DLC coming up in Summer is awesome and really helps with a few of the problems people had, my first play through with my Shepard is done. You can't recreate the feeling of being really immersed in a story a second time.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By punisherkaos

Really? I thought we where done with these.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

Obligatory Comment; go add this to the 10K other ME 3 ending threads.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai

@punisherkaos said:

Naa. It's like VD's. You might keep it under control but you still get outbreaks every once in a while.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm actually thankful for the community making the ending out to be so terrible. When I finally did complete the game, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By badsmalltalker

@Alphazero: Well definitely keep playing, there are still a lot of amazing moments to be had.

But yeah, I think we are all a little tired of talking about the ending, even if exactly what you are saying is something new and interesting. The subject has pretty much been exhausted.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

I thought it was consistently bad far before the ending. That being said the tuchanka mission was one of the best experiences I have ever had gaming. The way things played out for me was moving and meaningful. But as great as that was I thought just about every other part of the game was kinda bad.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I always keep forgetting this game came out until someone makes a topic about the ending.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Jrinswand

I beat the game the day before yesterday. After the ending, I was initially just confused. Then, once I read a bit about what people believe it all meant, I really enjoyed it. Then I did some research on the variations between all the different endings and I was pretty bummed out. Meh. I enjoyed the time I spent with it and the other games. It's not often that I spend 150 hours on a video game series, good or bad.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alphazero

@punisherkaos said:

Blog posts? No, they still exist.

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pacmanlh

It's not a horrible ending, and if you're not satisfied then read about the Indoctrination Theory and it'll all be fine.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

"Astoundingly bad" isn't the right phrase. The ending of Mass Effect 3 just doesn't work because it seems contradictory and strangely presented which leads to confusion instead of "awe".

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

The ending is Bioware flippin' you the bird... kind of.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Robot_Moses
    @Alphazero: It's really not that bad. It's not good, it's just your standard sci-fi trope-fest.
    wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

I just finished it last week, and the ending didn't bother me because I felt like most of the ME3 story was absurd anyway. The problem with "choose your own dialogue/make your own choices" type of games is if you're paragon all the way, then Shepard is pretty much god-like and saves the world several times over even before he was officially supposed to save the world.

Sure, in most games, the main character is usually a one-man army anyway, but it felt like Shepard was never in trouble the entire game; it seemed like everything was easily solved by himself and his crew. The dream-sequences were terrible, too, and wasted on a character that was never that fleshed-out to begin with. Dude's an avatar.

Plus, the last level was boring and looked like it was ripped out of Call of Duty from 5 years ago.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ravenlight

Now I just want pancakes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yup. I had the same feeling right up until the last hour, and then...

I think "astoundingly bad" is an accurate description.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Just to chime in as well.. I felt exactly the same. Pretty much loved every aspect of the game and assumed the people making a fuss online were the typical trolls who complain about everything, but no, the ending is far worse than you can probably imagine. It doesn't just ruin the game, it pretty much destroyed any interest I ever had in the series.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet

I'm just mad that the game was obviously rushed, but they didn't do shit to cover that up. That ending has it the most - if they had the time and cash to elaborate on it, it would've been bearable. Still bad, but probably it would make some twisted sense.

And that's probably the biggest problem with that ending, it's just awfully lazy in every way. Including the pathetic final mission. They hyped the shit out of that assault and it's simply terrible.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By morrelloman

haha. I haven't been on the site much the past few weeks. This thread makes me feel like I never left.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aetheldod

Ohhh just you wait ... Im not an ultra hater of it ... but I get pissed off at all the possibilities that it could´ve had .... heck even a series of epilogues cards would´ve been nice but no , the had to make it "memorable" sigh -_-

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alphazero

@WinterSnowblind said:

Just to chime in as well.. I felt exactly the same. Pretty much loved every aspect of the game and assumed the people making a fuss online were the typical trolls who complain about everything, but no, the ending is far worse than you can probably imagine. It doesn't just ruin the game, it pretty much destroyed any interest I ever had in the series.

So excited. The more people describe it that more I think I'll like it, but then I watch movies like Birdemic on purpose.

@morrelloman said:

haha. I haven't been on the site much the past few weeks. This thread makes me feel like I never left.

The perfect forum is one in which nothing is said, but those that know, know.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCowman

From the reactions on the internet, I was expecting the ending to reach through the screen and pound my gentleman's area with a mallet.

Maybe it was the negative hype, but the ending never shocked me. It was more like, "Huh...... well, that's that."

Honestly, people complaining about the "palette swap" ending need to go back and watch the endings for the first two games. The ending cinematics for those were pretty much exactly the same too. The differences were in what happened on the way to the ending. Which is pretty much the same story with ME 3.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By onan

@WinterSnowblind said:

Pretty much this. If you don't mumble "What. the. fuck..?" at least once during the ending, I'd be really surprised. The ending itself happens so quickly, you don't have time to hate it, it's done quick like pulling off a bandaid, and that's coming off of what's probably one of the most overwhelming sequences in the series so the adrenaline is still pumping and you're still a bit dazed and confused and unable to think straight. After the credits run (and there's a post credit scene, FYI), within 10 minutes to 2-3 hours, the fridge logic will kick in. Then you'll think, "nah, I must have missed something. Let's check with the internet," and then you'll realize it was actually worse than what you were thinking and you'll be introduced to even more issues you have with it that you didn't realize you had with it because you were so focused on the more glaring issues.

I think the moral here is to enjoy the journey, not the destination.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@punisherkaos said:

In 10 years, someone, somewhere will create another thread focused at the ME3 ending...we'll never be done with 'em. Never.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

It's not amazing, but chances are you'll just say "ah, all right" and then pop a different game in.

Well, that's exactly what I did anyway. Finished the game, played some Skyrim, then played ME3's multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onan said:

I tried holding on to that. But the more I thinked about it, the more the ending retroactively sullied my fond memories through my Mass Effect playthrough.

It's like looking back at your cool uncle who would take you fishing and teach you how to hunt only to realize he actually molested you on those trips

/offensive and tasteless hyperbole

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet
    @TheCowman said:

Honestly, people complaining about the "palette swap" ending need to go back and watch the endings for the first two games. The ending cinematics for those were pretty much exactly the same too. The differences were in what happened on the way to the ending. Which is pretty much the same story with ME 3.

Sure, but BioWare themselves admitted that they were happy it's the final game in a trilogy, because they can go crazy with it. They didn't. It's essentially a case of false advertising and bad project direction - the focus of the game was supposed to be its climax, the assault on Earth with all the forces you have, etc. Instead, the game peaks at Tuchanka, after which it's painfully obvious they ran out of cash/time or only realized then that they're not going to make that assault memorable, unlike the Suicide Mission.

That's the biggest problem, they couldn't make a good ending, so they didn't even try to hide it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AngelN7

I was more confused about the ending than anything else after reading some stuff I end up feeling ok with it , it wasn't great but I didn't feel like it was the biggest disgrace agaisnt gamers or many other things people call it and even if the ending does turn out to be "astoundingly bad" the rest of the game is really good at least to me it was the ending didn't ruin the game for me , it might help that I didn't have any insane expectations about the game it was almost everything that I thought it would be.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo

You're in for a real treat.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onan

@TeflonBilly said:

@onan said:

I tried holding on to that. But the more I thinked about it, the more the ending retroactively sullied my fond memories through my Mass Effect playthrough.

It's like looking back at your cool uncle who would take you fishing and teach you how to hunt only to realize he actually molested you on those trips

/offensive and tasteless hyperbole

Yeah, so you can whine to your therapist and be all butthurt about it, or you can acknowledge it happened and at least appreciate the fact that you now know how to fish. It's all a matter of what kind of perspective you're willing to let yourself have.

That said, I probably wouldn't go fishing with your uncle again, just like I have zero interest in restarting from the first game like I had every intention of doing up until the last few moments.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By probablytuna

I still loved the game overall, even if the ending was not what I expected/liked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onan: He he, I liked that. ;)

But you're right, I have no interest at all in playing my two other playthroughs from ME1 & 2 because of the ending

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Heltom92

@cmpLtNOOb said:

I had the same feeling as I was working my way through the game. I was expecting to be blindsided with something horrible that would make me want to throw my controller or something.

But what happened was I got there, stuff happened, and I just went ".......huh."

It was a slow realization of what I had seen as I tried to make sense of it all afterwards, and that was when I was convinced that it was kinda unfulfilling. I never the joined the mob with my pitchfork, though. I just let it be, because even if the DLC coming up in Summer is awesome and really helps with a few of the problems people had, my first play through with my Shepard is done. You can't recreate the feeling of being really immersed in a story a second time.

My thoughts exactly, I had the same reaction to the ending - not really angry but just slightly disappointed.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EXTomar

To be fair, my criticisms of the endings does not mean I busted out the pitchfork either. I do however get confused when someone does pop up and go "Wow that totally made sense!" which makes it look like I hate it much more.

I have always looked at the discussion like this as you need to identify what went right before you can look at what went wrong. There are plenty of things that went right which makes when it go wrong such a disaster.

Firethorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Firethorne

@Pacmanlh: I watched the youtube vid that explained it, and thought that fit amazingly well. And it still pissed me off a little. For that to be true, which it think it is, it means...

that the entire ending was essentially meaningless. The illusive man didn't just shoot himself. The reapers are all still above earth blowing the fleet to bits. Whatever people left on earth are still being huskified. The red/blue/green explosion didn't just take out all of the relays and send the reapers packing. Joker and the rest of my crew, some of whom were just on the ground with me getting fried by a giant laser, didn't just outrun the explosion. In short, for the indoctrination theory to be true, Bioware had to ship the game without a real ending.

Don't get me wrong, I think an indoctrinated Shepard would be a fantastic twist ending, but the idea that they'd make the true conclusion to this trilogy as DLC just irks me a bit.

And if it isn't true, even taking the dial an ending color with a grain of salt, there are still massive unexplained holes. My decisions will make a profound impact on the course of events? My choice of red/green/blue maybe. Aside from that, what about my choice to romance Miranda in 2 and 3? I didn't see her get off of the ship. I don't know what happened to her. She could be dead for all I know.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By big_jon

No, it's not that bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's dumb. But the internet's response and reaction to it were also stupid. So it cancels out.  

Mass Effect 3 is a great game. 

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHumanDove

It's terrible. As a die hard fan who ENJOYED Dragon Age II, it's terrible. Take that for what it's worth. By the way, I love everything about it before the last few minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the ending before I even bought the game and it ended up being even worse than I thought I knew it was.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By viking_funeral

The more you think about it, or try to get it to fit in with the rest of the story, the less sense it makes. So that kinda sucks. As does the lack of variety.

In another way I'm happy they ended the way they did, because I just don't want them to make more Mass Effect games. I almost wonder if they threw in that last part so they wouldn't have to and could just put the series to rest. It won't rest, naturally, but at like the Harry Potter ending it makes it more difficult to try and add more to the story.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By daiphyer

@WinterSnowblind said:

This.

The ending to Mass Effect 3 made me dislike that universe and lose all interest that I had build up playing countless hours of ME1 and 2.

It's basically Bioware saying: "Hey, you like Mass Effect huh? Well fuck you"

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pacmanlh

I'm still mad about it too but it is what it is. Not all great games have great endings and hopefully that dlc won't make it worse.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#46  Edited By Draugen

It's pretty bad. I've managed to come to terms with it, and don't feel an overpowering and crushing dissapointment every time I think about it any more, but I can't enjoy it on any level. The last few minutes feel completely divorced from the rest of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending is pretty bad but I never felt any anger because of it...

It really left me with a "meh" feeling and I kinda lost interest in any continuation of the story.

Though at the same time it does leave an interesting starting point for a Mass Effect 4 (or whatever that would be called) with a large force of different species trapped in the Sol system.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghostiet
    @TheHumanDove said:

It's terrible. As a die hard fan who ENJOYED Dragon Age II, it's terrible. 

I also liked it, even though it wasn't in my GOTY list. Dragon Age 2 is, in general, better written than Mass Effect 3. Sure, the ending kinda falls apart, but it fundamentally makes sense and it's a logical conclusion of everything that happens throughout the game. The execution is poor, though. ME3, on the contrary, is everything but a logical conclusion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.