Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

The iOS App potentially confirms the theory?(Spoilers)

• 65 results
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

The indoctrination theory that is. There is already an astounding amount of evidence supporting the theory in the game itself. But apparently after you beat the game, you get sent these messages on the app.

No Caption Provided

If ashley is alive she sends.

"Hey, skipper. They might actually let me see you today. Hang in there."

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

Counter argument: Some people are suggesting that this is sent because the game thinks you're back at the start, and this is the message they send before they see you at the start of the game.

I'm becoming a believer in the Indoctrination theory, but this is inconclusive. It also doesn't really fit too much.. would they skip to Shepard being in a medical bay? Who knows.

Also, this is also sent to people who did not choose Destroy, and didn't get the breathing ending.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CL60

@Pinworm45 said:

Counter argument: Some people are suggesting that this is sent because the game thinks you're back at the start, and this is the message they send before they see you at the start of the game.

I'm becoming a believer in the Indoctrination theory, but this is inconclusive. It also doesn't really fit too much.. would they skip to Shepard being in a medical bay? Who knows.

Also, this is also sent to people who did not choose Destroy, and didn't get the breathing ending.

But that wouldn't make any sense. At the beginning of the game you aren't really on speaking terms with Kaiden or Ashley, and are surprised to see them at the beginning of the game. Why would they send you a message hoping they could come see you if they are allowed when you aren't even speaking to eachother based on what happened in ME2.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

@CL60 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

But that wouldn't make any sense. At the beginning of the game you aren't really on speaking terms with Kaiden or Ashley, and are surprised to see them at the beginning of the game. Why would they send you a message hoping they could come see you if they are allowed when you aren't even speaking to eachother based on what happened in ME2.

I really don't know, that's just the counter argument I've read towards this. I don't know what I personally believe one way or another, as it doesn't seem to really fit the ending all that well, or the beginning all that well. I really don't know.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

How does this prove anything.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By benjaebe

They're obviously planning something. Like it's blatantly obvious. Their twitter account is full of cryptic bullshit.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar

Do you want to clarify for someone that has pretty much ceased reading ME ending threads exactly what the theory is beyond the basics?  Is all of ME3 a dream then or something?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I like the indoctrination theory. It actually makes a lot of sense to me. But what do these messages have to do with that, exactly? Maybe I'm just a little fuzzy on some of the details.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

@Turambar said:

Do you want to clarify for someone that has pretty much ceased reading ME ending threads exactly what the theory is beyond the basics? Is all of ME3 a dream then or something?

Basically, there's a lot of "evidence" (how much you consider it evidence is directly correlated to how much you want to believe the theory, in my experience) that shows shepard was indoctrinated, and the 3 choices are his "test". They make Destroy sound bad, because they don't want him to choose it, because it means he still has the will to destroy the reapers. They make Synthesize and Control sound good, because both of them are conducive to their goals and means they have indoctrinated shepard, just like the Indoctrinated TIM by offering "control'. Synethesize is their goal, so that is also conducive.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#11  Edited By alistercat

I don't know developers willing to put a fake ending in their game.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why the hell would they text you if you are presumably either in a hospital, or under some sort of military supervision--in which case why would you even have a phone?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @Pinworm45 said:

@Turambar said:

Do you want to clarify for someone that has pretty much ceased reading ME ending threads exactly what the theory is beyond the basics? Is all of ME3 a dream then or something?

Basically, there's a lot of "evidence" (how much you consider it evidence is directly correlated to how much you want to believe the theory, in my experience) that shows shepard was indoctrinated, and the 3 choices are his "test". They make Destroy sound bad, because they don't want him to choose it, because it means he still has the will to destroy the reapers. They make Synthesize and Control sound good, because both of them are conducive to their goals and means they have indoctrinated shepard, just like the Indoctrinated TIM by offering "control'. Synethesize is their goal, so that is also conducive.

Alright, dug around for the "evidence" on the web and I'm torn.  This is wishful fan wankery, no ands, ifs or buts about it.  But I kind of want it to be true because it would be a Gainax level mindfuck masterstroke.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turambar
    @CL60 said:

@Turambar said:

There's all of it http://w11.zetaboards.com/Theorycraftng_HUB/topic/7688087/1/

Reading that is actually more interesting than playing the game.  I kind of wish Bioware would take advantage of this fanfic and make the "true ending" dlc out of it.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By alistercat

@Turambar: The original ending planned by the writer of ME1&ME2 concerning the reapers continuing the cycle to combat 'Dark Energy' would have been a good ending, shame they cut it. I am fine with the ending we have though.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By wrighteous86

I wouldn't be surprised if they pretend this is what they planned all along.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones

All this theory stuff has already made the ending better. And I didnt even mind it before

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By N7

GOD DAMN IT YOU GUYS WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THIS. FUCK. @Pinworm45: @CL60

I want to beeeeeleeeeeeeeve!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@Wrighteous86 said:

And the Biodrones will eat their bullshit excuse right up.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pinworm45

@Hailinel said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

Depends how soon they announce it. If it's within a month, that means they have been working on it since now, so that's fine. If it's 3-4 months or later from now, yeah, I won't buy the excuse, but, I will accept it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @Pinworm45 said:

There's already tons of threads on this, but it's hard to find one that's good to consolidate more info. I feel like there should be one thread specifically about this, but I also feel like creating another one will just get it locked since it's redundant.

Either way, I'll just leave this here: (hint: look at the name of the model) http://o.imgbox.com/aarTjQEM.png?temporary-url---please-use-the-provided-share-codes-instead

The conspiracy deepens.
    Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grixxel

@Sackmanjones said:

All this theory stuff has already made the ending better. And I didnt even mind it before

This. I found reading all the crazy indoctrination crap to be very entertaining, even if it's not true.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RE_Player1

I think it's kind of sad that this is what it has come to. Trying to make sense of the ending through a couple lines of text in a separate phone app. The fate of Shepard, the crew and the galaxy would be fine if they just didn't present it in the piss poor way they did. People should have been saying "This was the greatest series I've ever played" and had discussions about what's next for the universe and what burning questions were left unanswered at the end of ME3. Instead people are trying to gin up a reason for the ending to the point where they are expecting DLC later onthe links to the "true ending". It's sad that Bioware made it come to this.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Skald

There is only one logical conclusion: Shepard is a replicant.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By korwin

@Skald said:

There is only one logical conclusion: Shepard is a replicant.

Liara: You're reading a magazine. You come across a full-page nude photo of a girl.

FemShep: Is this testing whether I'm a replicant or a lesbian, Ms. Tsoni?

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

yeah well for me both kaiden and ashley are dead so I guess santa claus sends me this message.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By korwin
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grixxel said:

@Sackmanjones said:

This. I found reading all the crazy indoctrination crap to be very entertaining, even if it's not true.

Haven't even seen the ending yet in my playthrough, but this indoctrination theory stuff has certainly colored my interpretation of things in the game.  

I mean, it's totally plausible. The idea seems cool, even if the execution was lacking. This is like the ending to The Sopranos. High-minded, but maybe too high-minded and abstract to fit the context of the narrative. 
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By korwin

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

Depends how soon they announce it. If it's within a month, that means they have been working on it since now, so that's fine. If it's 3-4 months or later from now, yeah, I won't buy the excuse, but, I will accept it.

Odds are whatever they announce will need to be before PAX East... that ME panel would just be an absolute shit show without something to sedate the internet horde.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

What I don't get about the indoctrination ending, is how does that explain any of that stuff with joker and the grandpa?  Why would they even show you that since it's after the conclusion of the thing that... didn't happen?  And it's hard to imagine someone ending their trilogy with a fake ending.

I think I want to be done thinking about Mass Effect for a while, but I'm really interested in how/if Bioware responds.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45

@ExplodeMode: It could be Harbinger making you think that your friends got away safely, thus decreasing your will to fight. It still fits the theory. Hell, I think it actually makes more sense than the completely illogical and physically impossible one that currently exists.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Animasta

however, if you have to PAY for the DLC than it's still fucking terrible

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By aceofspudz

@Korwin said:

@Pinworm45 said:

There's already tons of threads on this, but it's hard to find one that's good to consolidate more info. I feel like there should be one thread specifically about this, but I also feel like creating another one will just get it locked since it's redundant.

Either way, I'll just leave this here: (hint: look at the name of the model) http://o.imgbox.com/aarTjQEM.png?temporary-url---please-use-the-provided-share-codes-instead

Hmm, interesting.

Shoop da whoop. They mention that in the bsn thread. But still...I kind of want to believe.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By N7
    @ExplodeMode: Well the question itself is almost the answer, really. You have to think: Joker was in orbit fighting the Reapers. Your entire squad was on Earth. Cortez was shot down.

After you make your decision and blow up da Relay's, the EMP net thing happens immediately. So, a couple things HAVE happened by this time then: Your squad mates all abandoned the war and somehow got to Joker, who also abandoned the war to pick them up and make it to space fast enough to try and outrun the explosion, which is powerful enough to destroy entire systems, mind you. The Reapers are gone and what's left of the fleet are all dead in the Relay explosion, especially because if you remember the cutscene, they warp in and almost immediately begin fighting. So, even in the off chance that the explosion wasn't powerful enough to totally own Earth, that entire Fleet is gone, so says Arrival.

That's fact.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45

@N7: Not to mention he decided to head to the relay and escape, even though the explosion hadn't started yet, and he had NO REASON to anticipate such an explosion. More importantly, radiochatter had people say that no one made it, and to continue pushing to the beam (shepard nor anderson never tell anyone any different). Joker should have been helping get to the beam, not the opposite. And that if he did start to flee, based on the speed of the explosion itself, there's no way he could have physically made it to the relay before it did, too. Plus, the fact that there was no point to try and run anyway since the explosion from the citadel didn't actually destroy non-reaper ships!

And why didn't any other alliance or turian or whatever ships try and flee also?

Pure and utter nonsense

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By N7
    @Pinworm45: Love the new avatar.

But exactly! That, I think, is really all the evidence people would need for this theory to even be plausible. It sounded crazy when that one guy explained it in the most insane and unorganized way ever, but, the fact of the matter is: A Relay exploding is essentially the same as a sun going Super Nova. So when you couple that with the fact that no matter what ending you pick, all Relay's explode, and then the fact that the entire fleet was really not that far away from the Relay(Certainly closer than the Batarians were!), they are gone.

No speculation. No "grasping at straws". Mass Effect 2 Mass Effectively cemented that. So I'm not even sure what else to say about it. I mean, when you look at it that way, what's not to believe? At that point it's all fact.

I feel like I'm talking in circles. But when you get rid of all of the speculation and "guesswork", it boils down to: Everyone is either dead no matter what, or it's all some sort of Indoctrination. So, what's more likely? The ending that was supposed to save the galaxy by removing the Reaper threat ended up actually killing a majority of it, or some crazy voodoo shit was going on in Shepard's head?
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

On my app I got a bunch of messages from the crew including Ashley who are alive. The last message I got was the one from Caidan who is dead. I guess he's in heaven thinking about coming down to visit Shepard in hell.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Red

Man, I've went from hating the ending, reluctantly accepting it, to possibly kinda loving it. I know it's sort of awful to offer your real ending as DLC, but man, BioWare is leading me on. It's as if I was flirting with Emma Stone, and she seemed interested. Odds are I won't get her number, but if I do, that'd be pretty awesome.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
    @Korwin

@Pinworm45 said:

Hmm, interesting.

Indeed
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Finished the game, almost finishing Infiltrator. Have the app. 0 messages. I'm doing missions to raise some point in my GA but still 0 messages.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By Hector

Those messages are from when Kaiden/Ashley are in the hospital...no mystery...no theories.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Kazona

@benjaebe: Which twitter account are you talking about, exactly? I see nothing on the Bioware or Mass Effect twitter.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60
    @Hector

Those messages are from when Kaiden/Ashley are in the hospital...no mystery...no theories.

Kaiden is going to come down and see Shepard if they let him, while Kaiden is the one that's in the hospital? Don't think so.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hector

@CL60 said:

@Hector

Kaiden is going to come down and see Shepard if they let him, while Kaiden is the one that's in the hospital? Don't think so.

Don't you remember after he/she accepts Spectre status they still don't let her go and she tells you she is getting bored and he/she will find a way to sneak out (sarcastically)?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60
    @Hector

@CL60 said:

@Hector

Don't you remember after he/she accepts Spectre status they still don't let her go and she tells you she is getting bored and he/she will find a way to sneak out (sarcastically)?

The messages make no sense in that context. Ashleys for example tells Shepard to hang in there. If she were he injured one sue wouldn't be telling Shepard to hang in there, unless he's really obsessed with sex or something and needs it NOW
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hector

@CL60 said:

@Hector

@CL60 said:

@Hector

The messages make no sense in that context. Ashleys for example tells Shepard to hang in there. If she were he injured one sue wouldn't be telling Shepard to hang in there, unless he's really obsessed with sex or something and needs it NOW

Here I made a mistake. It's before she becomes a spectre.

No Caption Provided

and I'm sure the datapad iOS message relates to this because I got the message a bit later from when I got this message.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Grixxel

@Hector said:

Did you even comprehend the message or did you just read words and did not process them?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hector

@Grixxel said:

@Hector said:

Did you even comprehend the message or did you just read words and did not process them?

Yes. In my NG+ I received this message while Ashley was in the hospital...what isn't there to understand.

admiralstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By admiralstupid

@Hector: Surely the phrasing seems odd if it's YOU (Sheperd) going to see THEM.

"Thought I might come down to see you today."

Come down from where? Come down to where? It's odd to phrase it like that, no? Wording it like 'they said I could have visitors' (or something like that) makes much more sense if you're talking about going to see them in hospital.

And Ashley's "Hang in there." Also odd phrasing. Along the lines of 'Hang in there commander and you'll might come get to see me' - awfully egotistical of her(!)

It's silly either way though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.