Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

The reapers real motivation (Spoils of Spoilers)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

Just to put everyones mind at ease THIS IS NOT AN INDOCTRINATION THREADD

Now that we got that outta the way I shall begin. This is something I just was thinking of last night and it seemed like a legitimate answer to a few things. What I'm referring to is this...  

This is incredibly funny, I gotta say 
    This is incredibly funny, I gotta say 
    This could be very much what Bioware was saying and yes it is pretty dumb but I was thinking, what if the catalyst just lied to Shepard? I mean it is pretty apparent that it either A) controls the Reapers or B) was created by the Reapers as a defense tool (since the Reapers claim to have built the Citadel). There was a pretty big theme especially with the Geth (and EDI) stuff about synthetics possibly having a soul and being able to think and feel just as organics do. So is it totally crazy to assume that the Reapers do in fact have their own "soul" and are protecting themselves? Simply by wiping out the Galaxy every 50,000 years would ensure that no other synthetic (possibly organic) would become as advanced as themselves and propose a real challenge.Given the story of Mass Effect 3 is to defeat the Reapers under huge odds and they acknowledge that they didn't think it was possible. However, it seems that they could see the Geth as a huge threat, thus trying to control them for a lot of the Mass Effect trilogy.  I could be totally wrong but as I continue through my second playthrough I just noticed this as a pretty big thread in the story.  Feel free to tear this apart but I thought it was a cool idea and just wanted to throw my thoughts out here.  CAN"T wait till LordXavierBritish comes to troll lol. 

Few more things I would like to add to maybe help support this: 

• This also supports why the catalyst would try and convince Shepard to do either the control or synthesis endings because the Reapers would survive
    • In defense of Reapers having a soul, they mention that they harvest the races they destroy. While it seems necessary to them to destroy any possible threat, they do preserve any species they destroy so they aren't entirely lost. (bit of a stretch I know, but thought I'd put it up anyway)
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

The Reapers were created to destroy and harvest. That's not remorse, that's doing what you were programmed to do.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @BraveToaster: They in fact say, they harvest other beings so they can live on. If they didn't give a damn then why would they do it in the first place? Yes I do see this one as more of a stretch than the rest but I still thought the other stuff is totally reasonable
    joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By joshthebear

That picture provides more explanation than the actual end of the game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

@Sackmanjones said:

@BraveToaster: They in fact say, they harvest other beings so they can live on. If they didn't give a damn then why would they do it in the first place? Yes I do see this one as more of a stretch than the rest but I still thought the other stuff is totally reasonable

They harvest beings so they can live on because that's what they were created to do. Remorse is felt when a person commits an act that they deem as bad. The Reapers think that killing advanced beings and harvesting them is good; therefore, they feel no remorse for their actions.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @BraveToaster: I see. I worded it poorly and have fixed it
    Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Geralt

I thought Reapers are sentient being since they have individual name and ability to perform reasoning and belief system. But their limitation is that they can't evolve on their own, they'll need organic lifeforms to do what do best, evolving, then use those lifeforms knowledges and body structure (in this cycle they choose us) to continue their evolution process.

I'm tired already.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@darpa said:

I thought Reapers are sentient being since they have individual name and ability to perform reasoning and belief system. But their limitation is that they can't evolve on their own, they'll need organic lifeforms to do what do best, evolving, then use those lifeforms knowledges and body structure (in this cycle they choose us) to continue their evolution process.

I'm tired already.

I am too, and I could get into it upon further detail. I'll just keep it brief, Casey Hudson is just an arrogant deuchebag. He is completely out of touch with the development community and thinks what he says is gods word. He makes callous remarks and decisions about the series as if John Romero would back in the 90's ID days.

BTW I am no way affiliated with Bioware in any sort of way and never have been, I'm just expressing an opinion from what I have seen in podcasts and interviews. He's kind of like the owner of an NFL team saying that they will go to the Super Bowl on a sports radio show when you know that just won't happen by the tone of his voice.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

The Catalyst is an amazingly advanced AI, a super-genius of super-geniuses. At some point the Catalyst came to the conclusion that organics will always seek to make better AI and that AI will eventually evolve to the point of determining organic life to be obsolete. Whether or not this is an accurate conclusion doesn't matter, even super-geniuses get it wrong some times, what matters it that the Catalyst feels self assured that it is right. Therefore it develops what it believes to be the optimal plan to ensure the continued existence of organic life. By eradicating specific organic races before they grow too far, It can act as gardener by essentially pruning the universe.

And the Reapers are the shears. They too are highly advanced AI, created powerful enough to properly execute the cycle but not sophisticated enough to disobey their prime directive. As his creations, the Catalyst is reluctant to discard the Reapers entirely but ultimately understands that they can no longer serve their intended purpose and therefore is willing to leave their fate in Shepard's hands.

As far as having their own soul, you're right that idea is a very huge theme of the entire series but it is not one that can be answered definitively. A Paragon Shepard may feel that the thought processes of synthetics mirror our own, with electrons bouncing around our brains / processors drawing on old data and reaching new conclusions. Therefore they too can be considered as living beings which makes certain choices like eradicating the heretics or eventually all synthetics morally wrong. On the other hand, a Renegade Shepard may feel that the keys are flesh and blood. No matter how advanced the AI, a machine is still a machine. They were made by organics as tools and tools don't have feelings, rights, and certainly not a soul.

So in the end, whether or not the Reapers have souls is a matter of opinion. But it certainly isn't a twist or hidden idea.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By haggis
    @StarvingGamer: I think you've gotten this exactly right. As Shepard we're given the choice to either accept AI as life or reject it. The Catalyst represents the kind of cold calculation one might expect of an AI purely concerned with the arithmetic of survival--the Cycle assures that life will continue. It's brutal, but there's no doubt it works. The doubt is, as you say, whether or not the Catalyst is correct about the inevitable end: a paragon Shepard is far more likely to disagree with the Catalyst on this point than a renegade Shepard.

The underlying question is whether or not humans, aliens, AI, etc., are capable of breaking out of this cycle of mutual annihilation. Will AIs always choose to destroy their creators? Will the creators always grow to fear, and then enslave, their creations? Will organic life always choose to destroy those who are not just like them? The choices Shepard makes over the course of the three games all revolve around those questions. And either you are optimistic (paragon) about the results, or pessimistic (renegade). By the time you've gotten to the end, you've had three games worth of time to come to a reasoned conclusion about it. You come to the end and realize that you've already made your choice

The game has to leave these questions open enough for us, as players, to see things through to the end. There certainly were weaknesses in the game's ending, but wrapping up these themes was, in my opinion, not one of them.
    saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By saethir

The problem that I have with that particular Xzibit picture, is that people use it to make fun of the ending while it completely ignores the whole point of the reapers. They only "reap" species of a certain intelligence level that have gained space travel and created synthetic life. Otherwise they would have killed humans, turians, asari, and salarians last cycle and that would be it.

The idea is that organics will create synthetics and then fight each other ending with the synthetics destroying every trace of organic life, due to deeming it obsolete. The reapers keep this from happening by only killing the "advanced" species and leaving the ones still banging rocks.

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

I agree with the points makes regarding the Catalyst and Reaper's roles and motivations and believe this was ultimately what Bioware were aiming to convey in the games ending. Their only failing was the way the presented this and the slightly anticlimatic decision that followed. With a little bit of tightening up how they handled this and the subsequent cutscenes it would have left less gaps which people are desperate to fill with theories that would ultimately make a huge deal less sense in the grand scheme of things if they turned out to be accurate.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Ramone

I'm so tempted to make a list of all the plot holes in the end just to see if anyone can debunk all of them.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Atary77

Your explanation does sound feasible. Although my big sticking point simply is the fact all this debate wouldn't be necessary if BioWare would've given us a true reasonable explanation. And that's what's missing entirely from the broken ending, an explanation!

Explain BioWare! EXPLAIN!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Saethir
    The problem that I have with that particular Xzibit picture, is that people use it to make fun of the ending while it completely ignores the whole point of the reapers. They only "reap" species of a certain intelligence level that have gained space travel and created synthetic life. Otherwise they would have killed humans, turians, asari, and salarians last cycle and that would be it.

The idea is that organics will create synthetics and then fight each other ending with the synthetics destroying every trace of organic life, due to deeming it obsolete. The reapers keep this from happening by only killing the "advanced" species and leaving the ones still banging rocks.
    This is what I was getting at. Maybe they are doing it for the greater good but it's also protecting themselves in the process
    LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By LibraryDues

So were the Reapers going to kill the Geth too? The impression I was under was that they only targeted organic life, thus the Geth/Sovereign alliance, but what's the point of "pruning" the intelligent organic life if you're just going to leave behind the comparatively super-advanced Geth to dominate the galaxy after the Reapers go back to dark space?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @LibraryDues

So were the Reapers going to kill the Geth too? The impression I was under was that they only targeted organic life, thus the Geth/Sovereign alliance, but what's the point of "pruning" the intelligent organic life if you're just going to leave behind the comparatively super-advanced Geth to dominate the galaxy after the Reapers go back to dark space?

I'm almost positive they destiny both advanced synthetics and organics
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

Real motivation for what the Reapers were doing:
    - See Mass Effect 2
    - Do not see Mass Effect 3 

:(

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WMWA
    @StarvingGamer

The Catalyst is an amazingly advanced AI, a super-genius of super-geniuses. At some point the Catalyst came to the conclusion that organics will always seek to make better AI and that AI will eventually evolve to the point of determining organic life to be obsolete. Whether or not this is an accurate conclusion doesn't matter, even super-geniuses get it wrong some times, what matters it that the Catalyst feels self assured that it is right. Therefore it develops what it believes to be the optimal plan to ensure the continued existence of organic life. By eradicating specific organic races before they grow too far, It can act as gardener by essentially pruning the universe.

And the Reapers are the shears. They too are highly advanced AI, created powerful enough to properly execute the cycle but not sophisticated enough to disobey their prime directive. As his creations, the Catalyst is reluctant to discard the Reapers entirely but ultimately understands that they can no longer serve their intended purpose and therefore is willing to leave their fate in Shepard's hands.

As far as having their own soul, you're right that idea is a very huge theme of the entire series but it is not one that can be answered definitively. A Paragon Shepard may feel that the thought processes of synthetics mirror our own, with electrons bouncing around our brains / processors drawing on old data and reaching new conclusions. Therefore they too can be considered as living beings which makes certain choices like eradicating the heretics or eventually all synthetics morally wrong. On the other hand, a Renegade Shepard may feel that the keys are flesh and blood. No matter how advanced the AI, a machine is still a machine. They were made by organics as tools and tools don't have feelings, rights, and certainly not a soul.

So in the end, whether or not the Reapers have souls is a matter of opinion. But it certainly isn't a twist or hidden idea.

Thank you for this. This is concise and isn't grasping for straws like every other Mass Effect theorist.
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrockNRolla

@wmaustin55 said:

@StarvingGamer

Thank you for this. This is concise and isn't grasping for straws like every other Mass Effect theorist.

Yet it is just as much a "theory" as any of the others. There is no more evidence that such an interpretation is correct as there is that the "indoctrination theory" is correct.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @joshthebear@Ramone My post isn't even about the ending it's simply about the Reapers and their goals/ideas. But you are all very observant that this does take place near the end of the game. Well done people
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

@BrockNRolla: Except everything I typed is simply a rewording of exactly what the Catalyst says at the end of the game.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BrockNRolla

@StarvingGamer said:

@BrockNRolla: Except everything I typed is simply a rewording of exactly what the Catalyst says at the end of the game.

And all your interpretation of its meaning is purely your opinion.

"The Catalyst is an amazingly advanced AI" - How do you know? It never mentions being an AI. It only says that it controls the Reapers. It could be part of an even grander alien race. It could be a "god" of some sort. It could be an amalgamation of all the Reapers in one. It could be a hallucination. There is no evidence to say that it is an AI, particularly not one that is separate from the Reapers.

"At some point the Catalyst came to the conclusion that organics will always seek to make better AI and that AI will eventually evolve to the point of determining organic life to be obsolete." - Or maybe just that synthetic life and organic life can't peacefully coexist. The war between the Geth and Quarian had nothing to do with determining organic life to be obsolete. It was simply that Quarians feared their creations after it began becoming self-aware. Further, who says the catalyst came up with anything? It keeps saying that this was "our solution." Is that a Reaper solution? A solution created by some other space-faring race? Your interpretation is valid, but it is merely one interpretation.

"[The Reapers] too are highly advanced AI, created powerful enough to properly execute the cycle but not sophisticated enough to disobey their prime directive." - Why do you think that? The catalyst says it controls them, but how does that imply anything about their sophistication? It even seems to refer to them when saying "we" throughout the conversation. But maybe it isn't referring to the Reapers at all. You're making a conclusion here based on what your perceive their relationship to be. Are the Reapers aware they are being controlled? Are they just unwitting pawns? Is the catalyst one-in-the-same with the Reapers? Who knows? No one knows for sure, because it's merely an interpretation.

On top of these interpretations, there is plenty the catalyst said that isn't explained by any of this. How has the crucible "changed" the catalyst? For that matter, why has it changed? What does that change imply? That it no longer has control and needs an agent to complete its final task? (This is the first time the crucible has been created after all, so if the catalyst is part of the Reapers, maybe it no longer has control over the situation.) What was it before if it has changed? Where did it come from for that matter? I don't see how it is necessarily "willing to leave their fate in Shepard's hands." Maybe there isn't any other option and it has nothing to do with willingness.

Your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's. I'm simply saying that these are merely your ideas; not a "correct" interpretation of the ending.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinworm45

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.