Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

This feels like Halo of War, in a good way (SPOILERS)

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By overbyte

After scouring various forums and a brief encounter with some leaked scans of the May GI issue, I'm seeing that Bio tweaked the combat system more, since they've added scopes, more melee attacks, peeking, improved vaulting, and rolling to the mix. Looking great for all shooter fans, although I'm not sure how will that get received by those who prefer more classic RPG gameplay (the evolving powers might be it)
    To all those not afraid of reading a little info, a Bioware mod posted the gist here:  http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/7021128/1

One thing that puzzles me though, is the inclusion of ladders. Maybe they wanted to make the levels more vertical, although for me it doesn't seem to fit the high-tech nature of the universe in a way when we have mass-effect technology powering everything left and right.

EDIT: LOVING the new look of what seems to be Cerberus soldiers (even if a bit your typical bulky Space Marine armor with menacing helmets). And they seem to have some Iron Man-style rocket feet :P
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By McGhee

OMG Better combat. Stop dumbing down MY RPGs Bioware!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wrighteous86
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " OMG Better combat. Stop dumbing down MY RPGs Bioware! "
    Yeah, Dragon Age 2's combat was a blast.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McGhee
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " OMG Better combat. Stop dumbing down MY RPGs Bioware! "
    Yeah, Dragon Age 2's combat was a blast. "
    Yeah, it actually really was. That game's biggest problem is the story and shit-load of bugs.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wrighteous86
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: Meh, I didn't really find it fun in either of the Dragon Age games, actually (maybe because I played as a Warrior). I agree with your other points. I did like ME2's combat, though.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Good. If the combat is as big an improvement over 2's as 2's was over 1's, it might actually be fun this time around.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Skald

I demand Mass Effect-powered boost cannons instead of ladders.

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By overbyte
    @extremeradical said:
    " I demand Mass Effect-powered boost cannons instead of ladders. "
    I demand the return of elevators in addition to these. Ladders? Pssh...
    Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Finscher
    @overbyte: You're saying that everybody in the future needs elevators to clean their eavestroughs or hang their Christmas lights? Leave the ladders alone. They make sense.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Bentjacket said:
    " @overbyte: You're saying that everybody in the future needs elevators to clean their eavestroughs or hang their Christmas lights? Leave the ladders alone. They make sense. "
    Kind of... But it's only in elevators you get some idle socializing going. Nothing fights awkward silence like an elevator.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Teran
    @overbyte said:
    "One thing that puzzles me though, is the inclusion of ladders. Maybe they wanted to make the levels more vertical, although for me it doesn't seem to fit the high-tech nature of the universe in a way when we have mass-effect technology powering everything left and right.

EDIT: LOVING the new look of what seems to be Cerberus soldiers (even if a bit your typical bulky Space Marine armor with menacing helmets). And they seem to have some Iron Man-style rocket feet :P
    "
    We have electricity powering everything today but still use ladders.  I don't see what difference the power source makes.  Ladders are cheap, are an efficient use of space, and don't fail when the power goes out.  From a level design perspective I can understand why they weren't in previous games but from a lore perspective it's silly to say they don't fit with the high-tech nature of the universe.

As for the armor...  Armor is supposed to protect and is bulky by nature.  Saying bulky armor is typical is like saying sharp blades are typical... or dark nights, hot fire, cold ice...

I never did understand why people dislike things like armor.  They call it typical as though having having everyone running around in the nude using only force fields for protection would be a fresh new idea that would breath life into a genre.
    Hia7us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Hia7us
    @overbyte said:
    "
    One thing that puzzles me though, is the inclusion of ladders.
    "
    Would you rather have elevator rides? *shudders*
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By thatfrood

I cannot come up with a single time ladders were anything but a pain in an fps.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaneDev

I hope to god the improvements to the combat are actual improvements because the combat and movement in ME2 were at best average and at worst frustratingly bad. I mean ME1 was not a good shooter but it wasn't as frustrating to play as ME2 which required you to use the cover system to survive.

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By overbyte
    @Hia7us said:
    " @overbyte said:
    "
    One thing that puzzles me though, is the inclusion of ladders.
    "
    Would you rather have elevator rides? *shudders* "
    Yes, it was a good concept to mask load times but badly executed. Bio hardcoded the travel time on the rides no matter how fast a PC is. On the console version of ME1 I've read posts that it was awful especially on the elevator down on the Normandy cargo deck. This "problem" shows up again in ME2 with load screens that play on even when the level has been streamed completely. I've verified this by renaming all the load and transitions screens on my ME2 PC install and the game loads way faster (1-2 second black screen instead of watching the 15s+ video of the shuttle taking off/landing on a planet)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

The scale will still be small, linear, and unambitious--things that don't make an RPG. I'm sorry, but ME2 ruined and soiled the definition of RPGs: dice rolls, free choice and consequences, things that true RPGs had like Dungeouns and Dragons, and Dragon Quest. Bioware just doesn't have the time to do things like this, and EA doesn't want them to invest money in games they truly have passion to create; EA demands their money from cheaply made products NOW!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.