Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Udina and spoilers

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

So I -- for the first time, this whole game -- didn't do something "Paragon" and shot Udina with my button prompt. So he's dead. What happens if you're a horrible person and you didn't shoot him? I'm guessing Kashley just shoots him instead. How correct am I?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No, Kaidan shoots him.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Yeah, Kaiden/Ashley will shoot him instead. Though on topic, Udina's apparently Irish now?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

@Abyssfull said:

Yeah, Kaiden/Ashley will shoot him instead. Though on topic, Udina's apparently Irish now?

He has always been an asshole...so...

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Always shoot Udina, he's the reason Thane died for my Femshep. :(

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunExplosions

@FluxWaveZ said:

No, Kaidan shoots him.

Guess that's more a "yes," then.

@Dany said:

@Abyssfull said:

I always thought he was british or Australian or something. Then again I'm horrible at accents.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee

@FunExplosions: That's why I brought it up. He primarily sounded English during the first two ME's, but for ME3 his accent just switched entirely when you talk to him at his desk.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By dillonwerner

I wish the game provided more back-story on why he wanted to seize power and went full retard, I'm glad I got to shoot that fucker though.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Dylabaloo

@Dany said:

@Abyssfull said:

Hey....Our politicians are played by Liam Neeson, who is also Oskar Schindler therefore you are very incorrect.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chop

@DillonWerner said:

I wish the game provided more back-story on why he wanted to seize power and went full retard, I'm glad I got to shoot that fucker though.

Did you ever see the ending where you put him on the human council? He has been crazy dark and insane since the first game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@DillonWerner said:

It was meant to be so Udina could seize the Council's forces and retake Earth with what they had, instead of waiting on Shepard to unite the races. As for why he done it, it's most likely because Illusive Man used some of his DIY indoctrination he's been building on to influence Udina. Or it's possible that Udina was just so damn frustrated with the rest of the Council twiddling their thumbs and wanted to take action.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions

@Abyssfull said:

@FunExplosions: That's why I brought it up. He primarily sounded English during the first two ME's, but for ME3 his accent just switched entirely when you talk to him at his desk.

Doesn't surprise me. I've noticed numerous occasions throughout the series where it was obvious they didn't have a strong "voice director" presiding over the readings. That, or they didn't have the balls to correct the actors.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Abyssfull said:

@DillonWerner said:

It was meant to be so Udina could seize the Council's forces and retake Earth with what they had, instead of waiting on Shepard to unite the races. As to why he done it, it's most likely because Illusive Man used some of his DIY indoctrination he's been building on to influence Udina. Or it's possible that Udina was just so damn frustrated with the rest of the Council just twiddling their thumbs and wanted to take action.

Yep, it's in the codex.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunExplosions

@Abyssfull said:

@DillonWerner said:

It was meant to be so Udina could seize the Council's forces and retake Earth with what they had, instead of waiting on Shepard to unite the races. As to why he done it, it's most likely because Illusive Man used some of his DIY indoctrination he's been building on to influence Udina. Or it's possible that Udina was just so damn frustrated with the rest of the Council twiddling their thumbs and wanted to take action.

All I know is Councilor Anderson wouldn't have pulled that shit.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@DillonWerner said:

It was meant to be so Udina could seize the Council's forces and retake Earth with what they had, instead of waiting on Shepard to unite the races. As to why he done it, it's most likely because Illusive Man used some of his DIY indoctrination he's been building on to influence Udina. Or it's possible that Udina was just so damn frustrated with the rest of the Council twiddling their thumbs and wanted to take action.

It's a shame Anderson resigns back into the Navy no matter who you selected, but oh well. They at least justify it well enough and it feels fitting that Anderson becomes a soldier again rather than stay cooped up in some office.

Oh btw, did anyone else notice the Major guy during the Earth mission is totally the guy from the original Big Ben English sniper guy trailer? <3 He's also voiced by Hawke's male voice actor... which felt eerie :P

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Guys, we're dodging the real issue here. Why did Udina dye his hair black?!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@JeanLuc said:

And what the fuck happened to Bailey.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions

@Abyssfull said:

@JeanLuc said:

It confused me when Shepard seemed to recognize him. Weird how six months can make a man look 20 years younger.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By Mnemoidian

Yeah, I didn't hesitate a second on that prompt, waiting to get a shot at him, literally, since the first game.

Pretty much full-paragon otherwise.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ulain

@DillonWerner said:

You never go full retard! I remember what a jerk he was in 2, berating both you and Anderson as if he has anything to talk about.

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@JeanLuc said:

It confused me when Shepard seemed to recognize him. Weird how six months can make a man look 20 years younger.

Did Bailey look different or something? I recognized his voice instantly at the start.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By zeushbien

Mordin's voice seemed different too. Though I got used to it pretty quickly.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jothel

@Ulain said:

@DillonWerner said:

You never go full retard! I remember what a jerk he was in 2, berating both you and Anderson as if he has anything to talk about.

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@JeanLuc said:

Did Bailey look different or something? I recognized his voice instantly at the start.

No Caption Provided
    joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By joshthebear
    @Twinsun

Mordin's voice seemed different too. Though I got used to it pretty quickly.

This totally caught me of guard. He never really sounded like he Mordin I spent hours with in ME2.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Baillie

@joshthebear: It was a different voice actor, although the guy who did it in ME3 did a really good job.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By shiftymagician

@Baillie said:

@joshthebear: It was a different voice actor, although the guy who did it in ME3 did a really good job.

I agree that he did a good job with Mordin personally, but to me it's funny having to hear him throughout the game fresh, having your mind go weird thinking "Hey that's Mor...wait that isn't his voice...is it? Wait it's not...but close enough? Gilbert and Sullivan!? Yea I'm okay with this."

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

You guys are all crazy... I didn't notice much difference between the old Udina, Bailey, and Mordin, even though I knew Mordin's voice actor had changed (it was fine enough). It took me a second to put together that they hadn't just re-used Udina's face for a different character and that he had just dyed his hair, but once it clicked I was like "of course he would do that. He's crazy vain and just plain crazy."

I kind of wish he didn't go full retard and try a grab for power. I was hoping he'd be one of those rare characters who you think are scummy, but actually wind up doing good through their harshness. But nope... too much black and white writing in video games.

By the way, I let Kaidan shoot him. Having his first act as the second human Spectre be killing the human councilor seemed like a pretty rad initiation, even though I knew it would scar him for life.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT

@Abyssfull said:

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@DillonWerner said:

It's a shame Anderson resigns back into the Navy no matter who you selected, but oh well. They at least justify it well enough and it feels fitting that Anderson becomes a soldier again rather than stay cooped up in some office.

Oh btw, did anyone else notice the Major guy during the Earth mission is totally the guy from the original Big Ben English sniper guy trailer? <3 He's also voiced by Hawke's male voice actor... which felt eerie :P

Yeah, he tells to Anderson about how he was cooped in in Big Ben with a sniper rifle for a week or so. Shame his character model looks as generic as it does. Dude looked pretty cool in that announcement trailer.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB

@TheHT said:

Yeah, he tells to Anderson about how he was cooped in in Big Ben with a sniper rifle for a week or so. Shame his character model looks as generic as it does. Dude looked pretty cool in that announcement trailer.

Kind of an anticlimactic outcome. "If Shepard doesn't make it back to Earth... well, I'll be stuck in this tower for a whole week. And it's cold up here this time of year."

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunExplosions

@AndrewB said:

You guys are all crazy... I didn't notice much difference between the old Udina, Bailey, and Mordin, even though I knew Mordin's voice actor had changed (it was fine enough). It took me a second to put together that they hadn't just re-used Udina's face for a different character and that he had just dyed his hair, but once it clicked I was like "of course he would do that. He's crazy vain and just plain crazy."

I kind of wish he didn't go full retard and try a grab for power. I was hoping he'd be one of those rare characters who you think are scummy, but actually wind up doing good through their harshness. But nope... too much black and white writing in video games.

By the way, I let Kaidan shoot him. Having his first act as the second human Spectre be killing the human councilor seemed like a pretty rad initiation, even though I knew it would scar him for life.

I just didn't want Udina to shoot the Asari councilor. Not after I went through the trouble of starting a new ME2 save game and modding it so I saved the council. Waiting for the ME3 editor to get updated so that those of us who aren't geniuses know how to use it. My current game seems to think I never helped kill the old Shadow Broker. That shit ain't cool.

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 815Sox

Udina has always been a fucking fascist, that was one of the two renegade options I took...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By EuanDewar

@FunExplosions said:

@AndrewB said:

I just didn't want Udina to shoot the Asari councilor. Not after I went through the trouble of starting a new ME2 save game and modding it so I saved the council. Waiting for the ME3 editor to get updated so that those of us who aren't geniuses know how to use it. My current game seems to think I never helped kill the old Shadow Broker. That shit ain't cool.

Yeah I got that too. Especially weird considering I completed Shadow Broker the day before ME3 came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EuanDewar said:

Yeah I got that too. Especially weird considering I completed Shadow Broker the day before ME3 came out.

Or did you? Maybe it was all a hallucination brought on by Reaper indoctrination.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikeHawk

Like most of you guys, I saved the council in ME1 and killed Udina, despite being mostly paragon. How does this whole mission play out in ME3 if you let the council die in ME1? I would try to look it up on Youtube, but I'm afraid I'll spoil the the rest of the game on accident (I'm only on Rannoch).

Scofthe7seas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scofthe7seas

I never felt like there was a mystery or explanation needed for Udina. He's a total asshole, but he has always been looking out for humans in his own way. His viewpoint is not at all different from Cerberus' in that humans come first above all. He felt the current plans weren't helping Earth enough, so he teamed up with Cerberus because he thought they might be able to get shit done. That said, I couldn't wait to shoot the fucker. Couldn't stand him from day one. I loathed every time I had to have some kind of interaction with that douche, and mostly tried to be as rude to him as possible.

Honestly, it had been a while since I played ME1 or 2, (like when they came out) and I didn't notice Mordin's voice being different. Udina looked like how I remembered him, and Bailey was so way vaguely familiar they could have made him a black dude and I might not have noticed.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm paragon, but as soon as that came up I shot him on instinct... Couldn't help it... he was suck an ass.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Sooty

@Jothel said:

No Caption Provided

@Ulain said:

@DillonWerner said:

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@JeanLuc said:

They gave Ashley bigger lips and tits, and blacked up Anderson too. It's pretty dumb that they changed the appearance of a few characters this far into the series.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By myniceicelife

shooting Udina was my favorite part of the game. Throughout the entire scene my finger was on the right trigger hoping I could shoot him. And it was really only one of three renegade choices i made throughout the entire game.

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 815Sox

@Sooty said:

@Jothel said:

No Caption Provided

@Ulain said:

@DillonWerner said:

@FunExplosions said:

@Abyssfull said:

@JeanLuc said:

They gave Ashley bigger lips and tits, and blacked up Anderson too. It's pretty dumb that they changed the appearance of a few characters this far into the series.

Basically all the female characters boobs got larger as the series went on, Liara's were huge in 3. I choose Kaiden over the xenophobic Ashley, but from what I have seen she got some of those DSLs..

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this guy. there's a reason i didn't put him in charge at the end of ME1.

glad he finally went asshole enough for me to shoot him in the face though.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By MikeFightNight

@DillonWerner said:

Just chalk it up to indoctrination like the rest of the conspiracy theories. xD

I also happily I shot him.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaneDev

I let Kaiden kill him, but his motivations were pretty clear and easy to understand. The stupid thing about it and even ME1 is why the hell would the other races let a Human or Humans assume full control of the council instead of just sending a new representative? If Undina assumed control why would any of the council races even listen to him or do anything he says? It makes no sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.