Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

What did YOU think of the Mass Effect 3 ending? - POLL

• 77 results
    C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By C_Cage

@815Sox: okay what about the poll on the bioware forums that has over 60000 votes with 90% disliking the ending? is that too small a sample size?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @C_Cage said:

@815Sox: okay what about the poll on the bioware forums that has over 60000 votes with 90% disliking the ending? is that too small a sample size?

Care to link to that poll?  I'm wondering if it's just a simple yes / no, or if it's anywhere near as detailed as this poll.  I think the reasoning behind each vote is an extremely important part of any sort of poll like this. 
    Butz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Butz

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Enigma777 said:

Why isn't there a neutral option?

I thought about including the option, but then I realized that I didn't really care to hear from anyone who couldn't decide one way or another.

Wow please keep from making polls in the future

C_Cage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By C_Cage

@SpaceInsomniac: http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989/

it technically is not a yes, no poll. I don't really see how specified reason matters. Usually that allows more possibility of question bias. Like in the poll I just linked where the main option for "it sucked" is also attached to "we want a brighter ending" but there's no option for "it sucked, We don't care about a brighter ending". The result being that the poll can only be used as a measure of how many people disliked the ending and can not accurately portray whether or not the "brightness" was a factor for sucking because the other two options are "Endings are fine" and "it's fine".

But there are more polls on the internet about this. It seems whether big or small there is a trend in the data where the majority of the voters disliked the ending.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9762561/1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57402711-1/friday-poll-should-bioware-change-mass-effect-3s-ending/

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dezztroy

Accidentally clicked the first option. Goddamnit.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Butz said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Enigma777 said:

Why isn't there a neutral option?

I thought about including the option, but then I realized that I didn't really care to hear from anyone who couldn't decide one way or another.

Wow please keep from making polls in the future

So, you're saying that you have no opinion about the ME3 ending, and you demand that your lack of opinion be heard?   
    InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By InternetCrab

I think the ending was alright. I though did not hear anything about EMS affecting your ending, which is a little depressing, since i got the worst ending on Destroy. It might have a lack of closure, and explaination, but if you try to recover what happens in earlier stages of the game, you can figure out what the ending has to offer. I just thought that the characters really are gone. There was no closure on the other crew members, the ones we have loved for 5 years are just not known about, in the final game of the trilogy.

mattman734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By mattman734

I just finished it and I liked it even if i would have liked more resolution to the side characters. I liked all the story concepts they laid out at the end and that they weren't afraid to make a real ending on a galactic and timeless scale which the games have all talked about being bigger then just their own lives or even species and time, even if the text at the end was kind of gross for the dlc. I think that last mission was very well done and i like that they had a balls to go for an imperfect end to the universe, even if it did backfire on them.

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Subbeh

I didnt mid the ending I got and see no reason for the ending to be changed. Having said that the whole game felt like it wasn't given the development time

that it deserved. With the scanning, daft side mission system and recycled mp maps the game left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. Can't help but feel that if the time

spent on the mp had been put into the sp campaign instead the game would have benefitted all round.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I'm really somewhere more in the middle. I wouldn't say I liked or disliked it. It was just "meh".

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By umdesch4

I hated the ending enough so that I would actively seek out people who did like it, or thought it was ok, for the express purpose of finding out about other things they like. These things I can actively avoid, and save myself a lot of time, money, and involvement in entertainment that is ultimately going to disappoint.

In other words, the only way I can see someone liking the ending of this is if their approach to entertainment, and what they're trying to get out of it, is exactly the opposite of me.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By fjordson

Just finished the game tonight.

I was certain all of this was just a case of internet hyperbole, but now that I've actually seen the ending, I can't believe just how wrong I was. Holy shit BioWare, how do you drop the ball in such a major way? Shockingly bad conclusion to the trilogy. Zero closure with all three options and just terribly written all around.

Feels bad man. I wasted 30 hours for that shit. And I think my ending choice may have killed EDI =[

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#63  Edited By fox01313

Other: after trying 60+ times on the 2nd boss fight (reaper ship on krogan homeworld) & knocking the difficulty down to the lowest setting, I'm just not going to bother with the game or seeing the ending even though I loved the first two games. Off to trade it in I'm just not having any fun with ME3 or interested in seeing how it's going to end.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Philantrophy

I think most people are overreacting, I found the ending to be just fine.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Dany

I dislike because of F,G and I

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Ok first of this is officially the last ME3 topic im clicking on because Ive just had enough of them but the option of a Poll suckered me in :P

I'm in the 'I liked it, mainly because it wasn't a cliched "happy" ending.' camp

Like others have pointed out the ending for me wasnt just what happens in the last 10 mins of the game its the journey to actually getting there. Uniting the races to fight was an incredible task and the final moments with the Admiral and the Illusive man were just great. I also liked the ending because it was open ended because I want them to keep making Mass Effect games even if my Shepherd isnt there.

Now for the love of god people find something else to talk about other than the ending of this game please......PLEASE!!!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By I_smell

I liked it cos it was FUCKING INSANE!! Cyborg joker, all Mass Relays exploding, Shepard's dead, I'm standing in space, nothing makes any damn sense. It was exciting!

Then I looked up why everyone hated it n I was like "Oh right, yeah... I guess that stuff is actually really stupid."

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@fox01313 said:

Other: after trying 60+ times on the 2nd boss fight (reaper ship on krogan homeworld) & knocking the difficulty down to the lowest setting, I'm just not going to bother with the game or seeing the ending even though I loved the first two games. Off to trade it in I'm just not having any fun with ME3 or interested in seeing how it's going to end.

That was such a completely stupid "boss" fight, and had no business being in the game. Stupid developers couldn't have even put a checkpoint or two in the damn fight, you had to do it ALL over again every damn time. I finally looked up a You Tube video, and learned what to do that way, seeing as the "solution" was completely vague and stupid.

Other than the ending, it's easily the worst part of the game.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Arker101

I genuinely cared about the story in ME. I liked making decisions and building relationships between Shepard and his teammates, and I really liked the story, but I never knew about the main writer leaving and when that leak happened back in November, I thought there was no way Bioware could conclude a critically acclaimed storytelling series like that, then I saw all the variations of the ending on youtube. It was poorly written, full of plotholes, made little sense, added a character that I was supposed to care about, but didn't, and they did the thing they specifically said they wouldn't do ABC endings.

The worst part is that, what seems like a large majority of people, think the ending is fine, and that everybody who hates it are entitled 12 year olds. It really sucks that people won't even take the time to inform themselves on a subject when they berate people about it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Arker101 said:

The worst part is that, what seems like a large majority of people, think the ending is fine, and that everybody who hates it are entitled 12 year olds. It really sucks that people won't even take the time to inform themselves on a subject when they berate people about it.

If you think the large majority of people think the ending is fine, you should take a look at the poll numbers in this thread. You'll see that clearly isn't the case here--currently about 68% dislike of the ending--and polls on the official BioWare site have seen an even larger percent of users saying that they hated the ending.

I think the majority of the people the people complaining about people who dislike the ending, are probably people who did not play Mass Effect 3, and they are either trying to stand behind the whole "games as art" aspect--which is NOT what this has ever been about--or they're just sick of hearing about it.

For anyone that DID actually PLAY Mass Effect 3, and liked the ending, I believe they're absolutely entitled to their opinion. Everyone else either hated the ending, or is blindly defending something before they have all the facts.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hoossy

@SpaceInsomniac:

I really dug that video... It really fleshed out what I was thinking. I'm hoping at least some of the Bioware guys took a big gulp, watched it or others like it, and pour in some serious work into this free dlc coming out... actually, lets call it a patch. That's what it is. To fix their mistake.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Arker101

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Arker101 said:

If you think the large majority of people think the ending is fine, you should take a look at the poll numbers in this thread. You'll see that clearly isn't the case here--currently about 68% dislike of the ending--and polls on the official BioWare site have seen an even larger percent of users saying that they hated the ending.

I think the majority of the people the people complaining about people who dislike the ending, are probably people who did not play Mass Effect 3, and they are either trying to stand behind the whole "games as art" aspect--which is NOT what this has ever been about--or they're just sick of hearing about it.

For anyone that DID actually PLAY Mass Effect 3, and liked the ending, I believe they're absolutely entitled to their opinion. Everyone else either hated the ending, or is blindly defending something before they have all the facts.

Yeah, but this is the internet, how many voted out of how many experienced the ending? I've talked to at least 3 people IRL that think it was "deep" and that synthesis was the greatest way of bringing about galactic peace. Hopefully, their either in denial or they were joking, at least about the deep part, synthesis can be debated. Also it seems that the GB forums have a larger number of people defending the ending, just something I've noticed.

You're probably right about the complaining, talking about the same thing for awhile can get tiring. I think it's fine to have an opinion and argue about the ending, but when almost every defender has the points of "Art" and "Your entitled" in their argument, it gets tiring. Come at me with points and counter points for why it was good or why indoctrination solves stuff, but when it's just "Nope, your entitled, don't play it if you don't like it." it doesn't further the discussion and it makes them look ignorant, and I hate that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By EXTomar

What happened with Mass Effect 3 seems to be an example of "punch thy self" because they explained and elaborated too much on details not germane to the climactic moment. Or to put it in even simpler terms: Less Is More.

I get the feeing many people would be very satisfied with an ending that featured just this:

- Shepard and Anderson having their final words and collapsing

- Citadel explodes

- Reapers destroyed

No Joker flying away. No Star Child yammering. No wondering how grabbing something or jumping into something will save anyone. This wouldn't be a perfect ending either but it is a lot more tolerable than what Bioware tried. For whatever reason Bioware felt they needed to elaborate which seemed to damage things more than answer things.

Ricansoldier23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ricansoldier23

I was not mad at the ending, I was disappointed. After giving us a franchise where every game ending was customized to the choices you made, I was hugely disappointed that it turned into making a A,B, or C choice. It should have had the same kind of ending that MGS 4 had. Even thou it was long, I felt it gave closure to Solid Snake, a character that I had an emotional attachment to, from playing the previous games. What was great about ME was that I became emotionally attached multiple amount of characters, not just one. The ending seemed like a huge cop out and it felt like they did not know how to end the game properly. I guess we will have to wait and see what the "real" ending is.

Google documents has some great document showing what is wrong with the ending.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QT4IUepvrU1pfv_B95oQj0H84DlCTUmzQ_uQh1voTUs/preview?pli=1&sle=true

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By onan

@EXTomar said:

What happened with Mass Effect 3 seems to be an example of "punch thy self" because they explained and elaborated too much on details not germane to the climactic moment. Or to put it in even simpler terms: Less Is More.

I get the feeing many people would be very satisfied with an ending that featured just this:

- Citadel explodes

- Reapers destroyed

No Joker flying away. No Star Child yammering. No wondering how grabbing something or jumping into something will save anyone. This wouldn't be a perfect ending either but it is a lot more tolerable than what Bioware tried. For whatever reason Bioware felt they needed to elaborate which seemed to damage things more than answer things.

You mean like this?

I agree completely.

edit: Just watched this thing again and it's amazing how powerful that ending music is over the silent combat when you're not actively hating the whole thing. It's like the Gears of War "Mad World" clip.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#76  Edited By DJJoeJoe

There should be ab option for "Meh". I didn't dislike the ending but I agree that there wasn't massive closure in it. I think the entire game was closure, since most of the characters get their 'ends' during the actual playtime of the game instead of just the end. I don't want to see what they are up to 'after', but what I did feel like was that whatever was actually the goal of the ending wasn't achieved fully by Bioware. Eitherway I played the game for close to 80 hours, enjoyed my time with it, and won't return until 'all' the DLC is released I think. The game left me with no desire to get more Mass Effect, partly from closure and partly from not a blow my socks off ending or whatever.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@onan said:

@EXTomar said:

- Citadel explodes

- Reapers destroyed

You mean like this?

I agree completely.

edit: Just watched this thing again and it's amazing how powerful that ending music is over the silent combat when you're not actively hating the whole thing. It's like the Gears of War "Mad World" clip.

After watching this, I think BioWare should take a cue from the ending to the movie Clue. Show the awful original ending, and then display text reading "That's how it could have happened..."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.