What disappointed me most about Mass Effect 3's ending...

#1 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

...yep, Brad's imminent and first ME3 playthrough - as discussed on the Bombcast - brought us here again. I was finally able to put in words, what most disappointed me about Mass Effect 3's ending. The perfect example came to mind.

I was most disappointed by not being able to command the Batarians into the Vanguard of the final showdown and use them as cannon-fodder. I fucking hate Batarians. They were the last of their kind, and I'd have given them an honorable death - a way out. They'd have been wiped from the face of the galaxy, we'd have built them a statue to honor their strength and dedication and sacrifice - all the while everybody would've been happy to be rid of 'em for good. Win - Win. I feel like all of Mass Effect builds up to Shepard being 'The Commander' of all Galactic Forces. There's a disappointing lack of commanding armies happening during Mass Effect 3's ending chapters, which is the most disappointing aspect of the Mass Effect trilogy.

I'm just glad to have gotten that off my chest in a timely fashion. Oh, and the Vorcha totally deserve a spot on the Vanguard too! Though I guess their cowardice would have had some negative ramifications on the war effort. Grrr - how I hate the Vorcha. *Space Racism brought to you by Bioware and EA Corp.*

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

NO!!!!!!! DON'T START TALKINV ABOUT THE ME3 ENDING ON HERE!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5325 posts) -

I don't remember much about the game, I was just disappointed the entire 20+ hours I put in.

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Oh Jesus, here it comes again. Just when I had excised the thoughts of ME3 it all comes rushing back, PTSD style.

#5 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Y'know what the most disappointing part of the ending was?

The fact that it's SINGULAR. There is ONE ENDING. Given the fact that the series was sold on "shit'll be divergent", you don't even need the fact that a fucking autistic starchild grants wishes to throw it down.

I mean, it doesn't hurt.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Am I only one who understands the diamond shape? Picture a perfect 2D diamond, starts off small, branches out then goes small again.

#7 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Am I only one who understands the diamond shape? Picture a perfect 2D diamond, starts off small, branches out then goes small again.

That wasn't what I bought Mass Effect 1 for.

That wasn't what they SOLD Mass Effect 1 to me on.

#8 Posted by FLStyle (4911 posts) -

*Insert "Oh look, it's this thread again." image here*

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i just wanted the game to end how i wanted it to and got really mad that it didn't

i posted load of stuff on the internet about it and told everyone for about 6 months how angry i was.

#10 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Hey, man we all thought they were going to give all individual super personal endings. That was sarcasm.

#11 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

You're kidding right?... I was blasted for trying to talk about the ending like 3 weeks after the game came out ... the ending was ok you're not suppose to look what's behind the courtains you'll get dissapointed once you see the 2D cardboard cutouts ...also you're wrong the Vorchas are too dumb and too weak (they're like space flies) to use biotics implants.

#12 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Nope, I do.

I fear Brad playing through ME3 and the inevitable discussion on the Bombcast afterwards will bring us right back to March and the crazies will come back out of the woodwork.

Then again, I don't think Brad will finish ME3 over Thanksgiving.

#13 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
#14 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@AngelN7 said:

...also you're wrong the Vorchas are too dumb and too weak (they're like space flies) to use biotics implants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_%28military_formation%29

"Many vorcha are employed as cannon-fodder troops in gangs such as the Blood Pack, where their inexperience further shortens their brief lifespans."

I don't think that could be an effective Vanguard compared to more effective Krogans and Turians ... for a moment I thought you were talking about the Vanguard as in the biotic class.

#15 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@Seppli said:

@AngelN7 said:

...also you're wrong the Vorchas are too dumb and too weak (they're like space flies) to use biotics implants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_%28military_formation%29

"Many vorcha are employed as cannon-fodder troops in gangs such as the Blood Pack, where their inexperience further shortens their brief lifespans."

I don't think that could be an effective Vanguard compared to more effective Krogans and Turians ... for a moment I thought you were talking about the Vanguard as in the biotic class.

That's the whole point of putting Batarians and Vorchas in the Van. I want them to perish. In the case of the Batarians, I want them to go extinct. That's the kind of end game commands my Shepard would have given in the Final Stand of the Galaxy against the Reapers, given a chance. Fuck them Batarians. Fuck them Vorcha.

Crying shame that whole 'Commanding the Armies of the Galaxy' thing never came into play.

#16 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Seppli: They're dumb but not that dumb , the Vorchas are not fighting for Shepard either they're fighting for the Blood Pack and because Aria said so... and the Batarians kinda go extinct either way didn't they? Shepard or some marines blew up that relay that killed a lot of their people to prevent the early arrival plus the Repaers first showed up in their home systems they got destroyed halfway through Mass Effect 3 so if you hate Batarians you're good to go we probaby won't see many of them in the next game if they jump into the future. I think they're done... I don't hate them but man do they hate humans.

#17 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@Seppli: They're dumb but not that dumb , the Vorchas are not fighting for Shepard either they're fighting for the Blood Pack and because Aria said so... and the Batarians kinda go extinct either way didn't they? Shepard or some marines blew up that relay that killed a lot of their people to prevent the early arrival plus the Repaers first showed up in their home systems they got destroyed halfway through Mass Effect 3 so if you hate Batarians you're good to go we probaby won't see many of them in the next game if they jump into the future. I think they're done... I don't hate them but man do they hate humans.

You can recruit the Batarian fleet into your Armada. I did so. And I was looking forward to put their asses in the line of fire and see their whole race burn on my command. It's such little touches, that make me smile.

#18 Posted by Draugen (693 posts) -

@Seppli: Fistbump, bro! I'm there with you. Let the space scum have it! Had I commanded them during medieval times, they'd be facing the enemy in front of my shield wall.

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I thought the whole game was disappointed and the ending topped it off. It felt like they tried to hard to be "emotional" with all the dream sequences and sappy music playing at sad scenarios.

#20 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@AngelN7 said:

You can recruit the Batarian fleet into your Armada. I did so. And I was looking forward to put their asses in the line of fire and see their whole race burn on my command. It's such little touches, that make me smile.

Come on now! you're just a hater! that's why everyone will hate humans in the future.

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 will forever be one of my favorite games, the rest I can live without.

Hell, I have not gotten super pissed about ME3's ending but enough to seriously consider rewriting the entire thing by myself in a better way. Just to get some sort of ending that doesn't crush everything that attracted fans.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I feel like I've seen this thread somewhere before...

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8545 posts) -

@Terramagi: I didn't realize that the Geth still being in charge of the Quarian homeworld, the Geth and Quarians living together in har-mo-ny, and the Geth and all other synthetic life being eradicated from the face of the universe were the same thing. Who knew that there was no difference between dooming an entire species to extinction and restoring their ability to procreate to them? I'll grant you that knowing that my closest friends are able to live on and help rebuild the world is essentially identical to knowing that my closest friends all died because of tactical mistakes I made. I know that if someone else asked me to choose between having my consciousness ascend to control a giant fleet of super-robots, sacrificing my life to rewrite the DNA of every living being in existence, or just blowing everything the fuck up, I would be all like, "This is a trick question right? Because you're saying three things but I'm hearing just one."

#24 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Terramagi: I didn't realize that the Geth still being in charge of the Quarian homeworld, the Geth and Quarians living together in har-mo-ny, and the Geth and all other synthetic life being eradicated from the face of the universe were the same thing. Who knew that there was no difference between dooming an entire species to extinction and restoring their ability to procreate to them? I'll grant you that knowing that my closest friends are able to live on and help rebuild the world is essentially identical to knowing that my closest friends all died because of tactical mistakes I made. I know that if someone else asked me to choose between having my consciousness ascend to control a giant fleet of super-robots, sacrificing my life to rewrite the DNA of every living being in existence, or just blowing everything the fuck up, I would be all like, "This is a trick question right? Because you're saying three things but I'm hearing just one."

It's irrelevant, because when the relays explode it causes a supernova.

Meaning that, no matter what you do, half the fucking galaxy just got reduced to base components.

#25 Posted by StarvingGamer (8545 posts) -

@Terramagi: I don't, what? Where did you get that idea?

#26 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@Seppli said:

@AngelN7 said:

Come on now! you're just a hater! that's why everyone will hate humans in the future.

They should hate humans. Humans created the ending of Mass Effect 3!

#27 Posted by dudeglove (8254 posts) -

Can't we just make this a girl advice thread?

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@StarvingGamer said:

It's irrelevant, because when the relays explode it causes a supernova.

Meaning that, no matter what you do, half the fucking galaxy just got reduced to base components.

That doesn't happen. You'd rather believe it happens though, because it lets you be angry.

#29 Posted by big_jon (5782 posts) -

Dude, give me a fucking break. Post it in one of the other thousand threads about this shit.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Why make another thread about this? Shouldn't you be playing battlefield or something? There are a million other thread you could have posted in.

#31 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

in other breaking news

people dont like EA games that much

#32 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Yeah my boggest gripe wsn't about the ending story itself (which did have its problems) but the fact that the whole game you are building up this huge army then when you do the final mission you have practically no choices related to that. Just run your normal squad through these shooting sections, say goodbye to everyone, then go into the final story section. Such a dissapointing mission.

#33 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

in other breaking news

people dont like EA games that much

Actually between 2007 and 2012 many of my favorite games have been EA published/produced games...

Most of the stuff Bioware, Visceral, DICE and Criterion put out was outstanding. And then there's the EA partners program which brought forth milestones like Crysis. It's just the more recent games that didn't quite match my taste, and felt more sloppy. All EA games are a little sloppy, due to their modus operandi, but the current crop of games even more so. Guess because EA seems to have tightend up production schedules by a half a year to a year - between iterations - and sadly, it showed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.