What happens if you died in ME2 to ME3. NO SPOILERS!!!

#1 Posted by Spartan117Tron (90 posts) -

What do you guys think will happen if you died in ME2 and go into ME3. Does the game start and say you lost bros sorry. Please discuss. No spoilers!!

#2 Posted by Adus (68 posts) -

Pretty sure this is answered in Mass Effect 2's loading screens itself. You can't import a save to ME3 where Shepard died.

#3 Posted by chrissedoff (2152 posts) -

I think it would be awesome if you could import your save and it just popped up a screen that said, "The Reapers win and the galaxy is totally screwed now. Thanks for purchasing Mass Effect 3!"

#4 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

I think it would be awesome if you could import your save and it just popped up a screen that said, "The Reapers win and the galaxy is totally screwed now. Thanks for purchasing Mass Effect 3!"

Followed by a "Now deactivating your copy with the EA Servers. Please, purchase the whole trilogy again if you wish to play them again!"

#5 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

The should totally do a gag ending if you load up a dead shepard save.

#6 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Play as the opposite gender Shepard as if nothing happened.

"Hey Shep, did you get a haircut?"

By the way, you say to not have spoilers yet in the title you spoil that you could die by the end of ME2. Logic

#7 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

When you load in the save with a dead Shepard, you get to play as Han Solo and all the enemies get to shoot you first (don't worry, they all have terrible aim).

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: I don't think they made any secrets before the release of ME2 that you could die, and like someone said, the loading screen itself tells you that if you die, you won't be able to continue.

#9 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Wait wait wait. Space Zombie Shepard.

#10 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

Wait wait wait. Space Zombie Shepard.

Don't forget that Shepard died after ejecting out of the burning, exploding wreck of the Normandy SR1. The camera pans out to see his corpse doomed to forever glide throughout Space. Cerberus spends millions to bring Shepard back to life as the space-trotting, alien-fucking, savior of the Universe.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -
@deathstriker666: Oh no, he wasn't doomed to glide through space.  He was doomed to suffer re-entry in the gravity well of that planet.
#12 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

you'd have to create an alternate universe shepard.

#13 Posted by RandyF (151 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

By the way, you say to not have spoilers yet in the title you spoil that you could die by the end of ME2. Logic

They used the whole "Shepard can die" thing in their marketing. It was known even before Mass Effect 2 came out that he could die at the end.

And what I've heard is that you can't import a save if you died in Mass Effect 2.

#14 Posted by NTM (7479 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@chrissedoff said:

Followed by a "Now deactivating your copy with the EA Servers. Please, purchase the whole trilogy again if you wish to play them again!"

I have thought about that before for many games. Just random unlikely worst case scenarios.

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

I wish they would put in an Easter egg where Garrus saves the galaxy instead if Shepard is dead.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

Bring him back to life? Again?

#17 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

@Spartan117Tron said:

No spoilers!!

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

#18 Posted by kindgineer (2768 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@chrissedoff said:

I would be willing to pay again just for that.

#19 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

They should totally let you import a dead Shepard and just then immediatly play whatever the bad ending of the game is since well Shepard failed to save the universe. Or just make you play as Wrex.

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Rawrz said:

They should totally let you import a dead Shepard and just then immediatly play whatever the bad ending of the game is since well Shepard failed to save the universe. Or just make you play as Wrex.

Even if Wrex is also dead. You just play as his corpse.

#21 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The title says "NO SPOILERS" but I'm fairly sure the fact that Shepard can die in ME2 is a spoiler in itself no?

#22 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

They answered this a TON of times after ME2 came out. Dead Shepard means no import. That's it. Shepard's story ends when s/he dies.

You can fail in the Arrival DLC too, if you sit there and let the clock countdown you see a cut scene of the Reapers invading followed by a Critical Mission Failure screen.
#23 Posted by Spartan117Tron (90 posts) -

@Jack268: No because they marketed that from the begining. Its well known.

#24 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@chrissedoff said:

Sadly, some people probably would...

#25 Posted by Spartan117Tron (90 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Also you do realize that this was posted in a Mass Effect 3 forum and not a Mass Effect 2 one. I was talking about spoilers from Mass Effect 3 becuase the story has been floating around.

#26 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@coakroach said:

@Spartan117Tron said:

No spoilers!!

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

That was a REALLY fucked up ending to Die Hard 4.0

#27 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
#28 Posted by Zidd (1851 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Mass Effect 3: as made by Volition.

#29 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1325 posts) -

Spoilers, my Mordin died on my first playthrough of ME2. Spoilers again, I played ME2 like 5 times now and should have everyone alive for ME3. Spoilers again again, I play a female shepard and use the default face. Spoilers again again again, I tear up on cue like 3 times in the me3 demo and a I 'think' just 3 times during the WHOLE of me2... thanks to heavy music cues mostly (the sfx on explosions and shit breaks me down cause it's so intense then when something intense happens emotionally I CAN'T HANDLE IT AND I TURN INTO A CRYING CHILD!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.