What is this a picture of?

#1 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

This crab thing is bigger than anything in the Mass Effect Universe, and I just watched the ending to the Leviathan DLC and it wasn't that.

Promotional image for Mass Effect 3 Leviathan DLC
#2 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

Thing is like half the size of a planet, probably just showing something cool, like an original reaper or something. But wasn't in the game i think

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Reaper 2.0

#4 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I vividly remember that Reaper 2.0 was shaped like a human.

#5 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

It's the gun Garrus has been calibrating. Will it fire properly? find out in Mass Effect 3: Gun Forge

#6 Posted by Baillie (4168 posts) -

@I_smell: Reapers are shaped after Leviathans, I'm assuming that is probably a Leviathan ship?

#7 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@Baillie: I know what the Leviathan looks like and it's definately not that.
#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9705 posts) -

A Reaper having some hot sex with the Earth.

#9 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
#10 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

Wait that's not the Leviathan? Haven't played the DLC but if that's the case then I'm disappointed.

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9705 posts) -

@Cold_Wolven said:

Wait that's not the Leviathan? Haven't played the DLC but if that's the case then I'm disappointed.

The Leviathan DLC is disappointing just altogether.

#12 Posted by Baillie (4168 posts) -

@I_smell: I didn't say it was a leviathan, I said it's a leviathan ship.

#13 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Alright through fairly thorough research, I traced this image from a thumbnail for a Leviathan trailer with the Mass Effect logo on it, AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY BACK to January 2011!

That was some genuinely fun detective work.

#14 Posted by Baillie (4168 posts) -

@I_smell: That's pretty weird.

#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@I_smell said:
Alright through fairly thorough research, I traced this image from a thumbnail for a Leviathan trailer with the Mass Effect logo on it, AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY BACK to January 2011!  That was some genuinely fun detective work.
So, nothing like that exists in the universe?
#16 Posted by believer258 (11904 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@I_smell said:
Alright through fairly thorough research, I traced this image from a thumbnail for a Leviathan trailer with the Mass Effect logo on it, AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY BACK to January 2011! That was some genuinely fun detective work.

No. It's too cool-looking to be anything other than promotional concept art.

#17 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@I_smell said:

Alright through fairly thorough research, I traced this image from a thumbnail for a Leviathan trailer with the Mass Effect logo on it, AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE WAY BACK to January 2011! That was some genuinely fun detective work.

No read the text underneath: It's for a trading card game named PURGE: Sins of Science!
It's actually nothing connected to Mass Effect.

but comes up in Google Images if you search for "Mass Effect 2 final boss", is on a load of Mass Effect youtube video thumbnails, is in a bunch of Mass Effect fan-wikis, and Google Images says "Best Guess: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan".
#18 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@warxsnake
Mass Effect 3, staring Ron Howard's brother.
#19 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
@warxsnake
Mass Effect 3, starring Paul Giamatti.
#20 Posted by believer258 (11904 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@believer258 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@I_smell said:

No read the text underneath: It's for a trading card game named PURGE: Sins of Science! It's actually nothing connected to Mass Effect.

To be fair, I didn't click the link. I just assumed it was a news article about ME3 with that picture slapped on for good measure or something like that. I guess that's what I get for assuming but it doesn't necessarily mean that my point doesn't stand - there's often concept art released for games that looks great but never makes it in the game. Which is why it's just concept art, I get it, but still...

#21 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Yea I wasn't arguing.

#22 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

I will assume it's Pre-Reaper technology.

#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@I_smell
@MariachiMacabre said:
@warxsnake
Well looks like I'm gonna have to punch you in the mouth. How dare you speak in such a manner towards Mr. Giamatti. That is CLEARLY Clint Howard and I SHAN'T HEAR ANOTHER WORD ON THE MATTER. GOOD DAY.
#24 Posted by Seaborgium (100 posts) -

I don't think this represents anything in the actual universe. It's stupidly huge, and if it was in the game, it'd be the end of the world, no questions asked. I'm guessing that someone just used this as the promo because it looked cool.

How huge is it?

Each Reaper capital ship is 2 kilometers in length. There are 50,000 capital ships in the Reaper fleet.

Put all of them together in a giant ball.

This thing could fit around 500,000 of those giant balls inside of it. If the entire Reaper navy switched sides and decided to attack it, it would be like fighting a battleship with an angry man accompanied by a small child.

#25 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@Zleunamme said:

I will assume it's Pre-Reaper technology.

No it's the card game thing, I found it and posted it.
@Seaborgium said:

I don't think this represents anything in the actual universe. It's stupidly huge, and if it was in the game, it'd be the end of the world, no questions asked. I'm guessing that someone just used this as the promo because it looked cool.

How huge is it?

Each Reaper capital ship is 2 kilometers in length. There are 50,000 capital ships in the Reaper fleet.

Put all of them together in a giant ball.

This thing could fit around 500,000 of those giant balls inside of it. If the entire Reaper navy switched sides and decided to attack it, it would be like fighting a battleship with an angry man accompanied by a small child.

It's on the first page, it's the card game thing.
#26 Posted by konig_kei (617 posts) -

It's a ship....for reapers. duh.

#27 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@MariachiMacabre said:
@warxsnake

Mass Effect 3, starring AAHH MY EYES!!!

#28 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@konig_kei said:

No man it's the card game thing. On page one, I figured it out after making the thread.
#29 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

That thing would have its own gravitational pull.

#30 Posted by Shirogane (3573 posts) -

Man....that thing looks like it belongs in Asura's Wrath or something. The fact that i can't decide whether it's mechanical or organic just makes it even more so.

#31 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@konig_kei said:

No man it's the card game thing. On page one, I figured it out after making the thread.

People don't read threads. Update your original post!

#32 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@I_smell said:
@believer258 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@I_smell said:

No read the text underneath: It's for a trading card game named PURGE: Sins of Science! It's actually nothing connected to Mass Effect.  but comes up in Google Images if you search for "Mass Effect 2 final boss", is on a load of Mass Effect youtube video thumbnails, is in a bunch of Mass Effect fan-wikis, and Google Images says "Best Guess: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan".
The Real Time Strategy Card Game? I haven't paid attention to it because i don't like real time card games, but that picture is sweet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.