Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

What's with the crummy combat system?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Alright I don't understand it.  I'm playing hardcore mode & when I 
    go into combat, I find myself being shot at from all sides & some
    asshole always throws a grenade.  How the hell do you flank 
    anybody?  Every fucking battle I have, I'm completely pinned 
    down.  Even the cover sucks!  I get behind pieces of wall & 
    unlike how I could peak over the cover in ME1/2, I cannot see
    a goddamn thing.  I have to stand up, get shot to near death,
    just to aim & fire, & maybe hit something.

I thought Shepherd & his team were supposed to be bad
    asses, but it's definitely not reflected in the combat.  Seems
    more like he's a day late & a dollar short, always being picked
    off & one step behind Cerberus.  It's making me dread the 
    combat system because the cover-based system doesn't 
    seem to have any goddamn cover I can shoot from at all.
    And when I'm pinned trying to figure out what to do, some
    asshole throws a grenade.  Shep does this great trick, where
    he rolls to cover, trying to evade the grenade, only to stand up
    where he can get shot to shit after his patented trademark
    role.  The Illusive Man must be laughing his ass off.

They should have left the combat system as is or gave an
    option to turn off enemy grenades so it would be sort of like
    the first two games.  This game doesn't lend itself to doing
    a lot of close combat either, not without a lot of instant death
    options.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Maybe you're just bad?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By laserbolts

I suggest you lower the difficulty to something more suitable or just use more skill.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By easthill

Your poem suck, there's no rhyme.

I had no problem with the combat on insanity. My tip, turn the difficulty down.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kindgineer

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

Alright I don't understand it. I'm playing hardcore mode & when I go into combat, I find myself being shot at from all sides & some asshole always throws a grenade. How the hell do you flank anybody? Every fucking battle I have, I'm completely pinned down. Even the cover sucks! I get behind pieces of wall & unlike how I could peak over the cover in ME1/2, I cannot see a goddamn thing. I have to stand up, get shot to near death, just to aim & fire, & maybe hit something. I thought Shepherd & his team were supposed to be bad asses, but it's definitely not reflected in the combat. Seems more like he's a day late & a dollar short, always being picked off & one step behind Cerberus. It's making me dread the combat system because the cover-based system doesn't seem to have any goddamn cover I can shoot from at all. And when I'm pinned trying to figure out what to do, some asshole throws a grenade. Shep does this great trick, where he rolls to cover, trying to evade the grenade, only to stand up where he can get shot to shit after his patented trademark role. The Illusive Man must be laughing his ass off. They should have left the combat system as is or gave an option to turn off enemy grenades so it would be sort of like the first two games. This game doesn't lend itself to doing a lot of close combat either, not without a lot of instant death options.

So you're mad that Shepard gets his ass beaten on occasion on Hardcore mode by many Cerberus goons? Sounds like what it should be like.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By selbie

Use biotics and tech powers at all times and take down enemy shields from a distance before engaging close quarters. Also you don't always have to dodge grenades when they fall nearby. If they fall in front of cover they will do no damage. If they do hurt you, just stay in cover until your shields recharge.

Also, does the word 'hardcore' explain anything to you? It's supposed to be hard.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mars_Cleric

you should ask Gary Whitta for tips

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot them in the head.

Use more skill.

Or you could admit you are bad at the game and turn down the difficulty...

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killacam

hey dumbass, if you're going to include spoilers (i.e. one step ahead of cerberus), SAY SO

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why is this game hard on hardcore? Shepard is supposed to be awesome, why can he die?

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kedi2

Play vanguard. Also, that is the worst poem ever.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @killacam said:
    hey dumbass, if you're going to include spoilers (i.e. one step ahead of cerberus), SAY SO
    lol...'spoilers'..what the fuck are you talking about?   The Demo had you attacking cerberus.  
    @Village_Guy
    @easthill

FYI, I played the last two in Insanity mode & I didn't complain.  The movement wasn't 
    as shitty as it is in ME 3.  I lowered the game to hardcore for the simple matter that  
    insanity in the demo was really tough.  However, I think normal mode would be too 
    easy for me.  The only thing is: I'm an infiltrator & I kill from a distance.  Now I did bring 
    the Prothean & another non-standard NPC on the mission.  Maybe they just suck as 
    I didn't have this much problem with Liara & the Mexican dude.  It certainly sucked 
    being shot at from all sides, there wasn't any real way to deal with it...run in up close, 
    get killed; hunker down to fight, get shot in the back.  Tactical cloak is at maximum & 
    the mother fuckers can still see & shoot me when I'm in the cloak...which is unlike 
    ME2..what's the point of having it if it doesn't work? 

They need to cater this game to people that play RPGs, not all of us care about  
    shitty FPS.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vorbis

The combat system is more of an RPG than ME2 was, I finished the game on Insanity without ever needing to fire a gun, ME2 forced me into using shitty weapons to lower defences, on ME3 I can just spam Biotics without ever having to fire a weapon and it's great.

Maybe try a different class if you're struggling as an infiltrator.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

Um the combat works really well. You need to maneuver your squad around so you can go around and flank. As for grenades they do suck but just roll backwards and you should be ok.

But as for your complaint about Shepard and his team being a badass, you could say that for any game. In fact your basically saying you shouldn't be able to die in games at all. Also if it's too hard turn it down some

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @killacam
    I see where your coming from but in all honesty its not a big spoiler.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Oh hey, Lind the 
    poet
    is 
    ba
    ck 

The combat is fine.  Train up in the multiplayer. 

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By swoxx

@laserbolts said:

I suggest you lower the difficulty to something more suitable or just use more skill.

Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Revolver

@Mars_Cleric said:

yeah just Gary Whitta all the enemies and your'e good

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

Use more skill and shot the bad guys.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

Sounds like you just suck. I had none of these issues.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

"@Lind_L_Taylor said:

They need to cater this game to people that play RPGs, not all of us care about shitty FPS.

"I bumped up the difficulty so the shooting would be more challenging... why is the shooting so challenging? I blame an unrelated genre with a similar base mechanic for making me choose to have the game play more like an unrelated genre with a similar base mechanic!"

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Liam_mk

Not being able to see over cover seems to be an occasional bug. just go out of cover and right back into it to fix the problem.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By TheMasterDS

Yeah, having just gone from ME2 to ME3 (3rd time for 2, 2nd time for 3)  I can say yeah, they fucked up the combat something fierce. For a start it's sort of nice that they wanted to introduce enemies that need to be dealt with by magic, only that introduction makes my tried and true "Just use different Ammo Types and shoot dudes" strategy null and void since guys with shields are straight up invulnerable to ammo types unless you use your extra power on Armor Penetrating, which you totally should. I think that's a mistake. It's one thing to make a weapon or strategy ineffective against a certain approach, it's another thing to main them straight up invulnerable. Additionally I think the new Roll and Move Between Cover stuff is completely terrible. Yes, the roll move can be good for evading grenades, but that's not why it's an issue, it's an issue because they stuck it on an already crowded A button which already has too many functions to list. How many times in ME3 did I accidentally roll instead of vaulting cover, opening a door, interacting with an object or reviving a dude? Too many times. 

I think they improved it overall, however I think there are a ton of issues.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHumanDove

This is a poem,

you can tell from the bro-

ken form.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By big_jon

@Lind_L_Taylor: Insanity in ME3 is far easier than that of the first two games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671
    Trashcan Man!
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UlquioKani

@big_jon said:

@Lind_L_Taylor: Insanity in ME3 is far easier than that of the first two games.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @TheMasterDS said:
    Yeah, having just gone from ME2 to ME3 (3rd time for 2, 2nd time for 3)  I can say yeah, they fucked up the combat something fierce. For a start it's sort of nice that they wanted to introduce enemies that need to be dealt with by magic, only that introduction makes my tried and true "Just use different Ammo Types and shoot dudes" strategy null and void since guys with shields are straight up invulnerable to ammo types unless you use your extra power on Armor Penetrating, which you totally should. I think that's a mistake. It's one thing to make a weapon or strategy ineffective against a certain approach, it's another thing to main them straight up invulnerable. Additionally I think the new Roll and Move Between Cover stuff is completely terrible. Yes, the roll move can be good for evading grenades, but that's not why it's an issue, it's an issue because they stuck it on an already crowded A button which already has too many functions to list. How many times in ME3 did I accidentally roll instead of vaulting cover, opening a door, interacting with an object or reviving a dude? Too many times.  I think they improved it overall, however I think there are a ton of issues.
    Yeah, it seems they broke the combat system by making it so Biotics can 
    beat the game, but everything else has more trouble.  

@big_jon@Liam_mk@big_jon@UlquioKani:  

Yep.  As long as I bring Liara & James along, I don't seem to have any 
    issues.  It's just when I brought the Prothean (Day1 DLC) + another  
    non-biotic is when I found that I couldn't get through Cerberus.  After 
    all that pain, I stuck with Liara & James & it's all worked out.  Sometimes 
    an ambush kills me quick, but I'm usually able to get cover real quick, 
    regroup, & launch an assault.  I'll probably play a biotic for insanity & 
    go without firing a gun the second go-round. 

@Spoonman671 said:
    Trashcan Man!
    MY LIFE FOR YOU! 
    @ShaggE said:

"@Lind_L_Taylor said:

They need to cater this game to people that play RPGs, not all of us care about shitty FPS.

"I bumped up the difficulty so the shooting would be more challenging... why is the shooting so challenging? I blame an unrelated genre with a similar base mechanic for making me choose to have the game play more like an unrelated genre with a similar base mechanic!"

I say this because I had read in a report that Bioware was targeting the MW/CoD  
    crowd for their ME 3 release, just last year or so; so it's totally related; relevant.
    Aether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aether

Actually the higher the difficulty goes the more it converts to an RPG, in which you need your holy trinity type group almost. Played through it twice already ( once on hardcore with my Vanguard and just finished insanity with an Infiltrator a couple of hours ago). As an infiltrator you need someone who is going to be your controller of the cannon fodder and someone who is going to be a distraction. Ashley and Freddy Prince Jr do very good jobs soaking damage. Liara is great for control. You will be forced to take out the bigger targets. This game really wants you to have a stacked team that will fulfill roles and not really like 1 or 2 where you could kind of take who you wanted for story purposed. Javik is a decent complement to most classes but doesn't have a real role for infiltrators.

Also regarding the cloak, you really need to pay attention to whether or not your team mates are near you or dead. Sometimes their pictures wont change color and you get to find out the hard way when you try to use their skills. If you are the only one alive or in your area the enemies will pretty much always find you regardless of being cloaked. It happens in multiplayer occasionally when im the last one left and all of a sudden a ravager magically locks on to me. Just find who you are comfortable with in a team. It might not be who you want for lore and it sucks when you are forced to bring someone who wont be of that much use to you for lockdown or damage in higher difficulties, but you will get used to it.

If you think the grenade spam is bad on hardcore...wait til insanity :(.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phrali

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

clearly you don't understand how BUSINESS works.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ulain

I tried Grissom Academy on Insanity with my Adept. Shit was too hard for me, I admit I suck, already beat the game on Normal so I just sent it back. I suggest maybe doing the same? You don't get bonus footage of a Miranda-Ashley sandwich or anything, so who cares?

Haikus are funny.

And sometimes they don't make sense.

Refrigerator.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BRich

Insanity is so easy as an infiltrator I keep checking the options menu to make sure it didn't flip back to normal. I one shot every normal enemy in the game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are just bad at the game.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Aether said:

Actually the higher the difficulty goes the more it converts to an RPG, in which you need your holy trinity type group almost. Played through it twice already ( once on hardcore with my Vanguard and just finished insanity with an Infiltrator a couple of hours ago). As an infiltrator you need someone who is going to be your controller of the cannon fodder and someone who is going to be a distraction. Ashley and Freddy Prince Jr do very good jobs soaking damage. Liara is great for control. You will be forced to take out the bigger targets. This game really wants you to have a stacked team that will fulfill roles and not really like 1 or 2 where you could kind of take who you wanted for story purposed. Javik is a decent complement to most classes but doesn't have a real role for infiltrators.

Also regarding the cloak, you really need to pay attention to whether or not your team mates are near you or dead. Sometimes their pictures wont change color and you get to find out the hard way when you try to use their skills. If you are the only one alive or in your area the enemies will pretty much always find you regardless of being cloaked. It happens in multiplayer occasionally when im the last one left and all of a sudden a ravager magically locks on to me. Just find who you are comfortable with in a team. It might not be who you want for lore and it sucks when you are forced to bring someone who wont be of that much use to you for lockdown or damage in higher difficulties, but you will get used to it.

If you think the grenade spam is bad on hardcore...wait til insanity :(.

Yeah I tried Insanity on the Demo. I was able to get through.
    However on the last battle against the Mech, all of these Cerberus
    troops show up to flank you.  So I ran over to where they drop from
    a higher floor & attacked them first (after several retries of course).
    Then I was able to take out the Mech.  I'm hoping that one guy was
    right & I can just use a ton of Biotic to beat the system on Insanity.
    Otherwise, I should probably wait for a strategy guide to come out.

@BRich

Maybe you should write a strategy guide?
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By isomeri

@laserbolts said:

This.

@Mars_Cleric said:

As well as this.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#36  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Lind_L_Taylor: I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but did you import a character or create a new one? (read: what level are you?). The difficulty may have something to do with the level scaling?

I played through the game as a Soldier on Hardcore, imported from ME2 (level 30). Mostly, I had no issues, other than a couple of areas where grenade spam (that I didn't really have much of a problem with at all) or other special factors forced my hand.

I had issues in 5 areas primarily:

• Grissom Academy: Leaving that hallway was a bit of a pain, turrets kept chewing me up, but some tactical playing (retreating into the hallway) made it a lot easier.
    • Tuchanka, when you are rescuing the Turain councilor's son. As you reach the area you can kill the... second? Harvester (there's a Darkstar lying there, I believe?) I was really struggling with grenade spam.
    • Monastery, dual-banshees :'( Took a while to figure out how to handle that.
    • Earth, second visit: Right at the start, after getting out of the shuttle. So many grenades.
    • Earth, second missile: Just got swarmed. Couldn't keep up. Wasted the Heavy Weapon early.

Using a Sniper-rifle does significantly make parts easier though, as a high-level Widow pretty much pops any head :)

Heavy enemies will always be a problem, unless you play Adept or something, though. Mmm, Biotic Explosions.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mano521

@Gargantuan said:

Maybe you're just bad?

im sorry you had to find out this way

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BRich
    @BRich:   Maybe you should write a strategy guide? 

Maybe, I got through Mass Effect 2 first time through on insanity with a sentinel and it was pretty difficult.
     Importing a level 30 infiltrator and rolling with Javik and Garrus I only occasionally die to a grenade that I don't notice in time. The cloak saves my life 100% of the time I am caught in a dumb position and allows me to infinitely revive my squad members if they are needed (usually they don't do too much other than overload and pull enemies).

Some quick tips that will make it easy:
    Only carry a sniper rifle and nothing else, so your cooldowns are instant. (The collector's edition Valient is 1/2 the weight of the Black Widow, holds more ammo, and nearly does as much damage. I roll with that or the Widow if I want more of a challenge. The Valient is also free so I probably should have saved the 250k)
    Equip the sniper focus mod (slows time for every snipe) and a sniping through smoke mod (or more ammo if you find yourself needing it).
    I put some points in everything except sticky grenades. First maxed out the cloak and eventually incinerate, my shields/health, and cryo ammo (Sabotage is awesome if you are struggling with turrets. Put only a point or two into it and they just turn around and kill everyone). I almost always have on squad Cryo ammo. The number of unshielded, unarmored enemies is what makes it so much easier than ME2.
    Choose all of the optional upgrades and armor to increase headshot and weapon damage. Every unshielded enemy dies in a single shot. 

Almost forgot, just snipe those Cerberus shield guys right through their eyehole in the shield. Instant death without using Pull first.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By TheHT

Holy shit there's a sprinting heavy melee attack.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By yinstarrunner

ME3's combat is pretty bad, but not because its too hard. its just boring, generic cover-based shooting. It feels like im playing a more flashy version of whack-a-mole most of the time.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phrosnite

@yinstarrunner said:

ME3's combat is pretty bad, but not because its too hard. its just boring, generic cover-based shooting. It feels like im playing a more flashy version of whack-a-mole most of the time.

Trolololololooooooooooo

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hippocrit

Use Javik's Dark Channel on an unshielded enemy and then explode him with a biotic combo. Dark Channel will then jump to a new enemy, shields or no.

If your squad mates can do this for you, you can sit back and take headshots.

I used a vanguard on insanity. Dark Channel, Singularity, and Stasis all explode on impact from Biotic Charge AND Nova.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Key sentance "Playing on Insanitiy"

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @phrosnite

@yinstarrunner said:

Trolololololooooooooooo

Nice try. There have been plenty of times where I've just been bored with combat encounters, whether it's playing whack-a-mole with regular enemies or pumping bullet after tension-draining bullet into the more sponge-like "boss" enemies.

I'm playing as an Infiltrator on Hardcore, if you care. Everybody says Vanguard plays most differently from the other classes, which is undoubtedly true, but I'm just speaking from my own experiences.
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Lind_L_Taylor: Have you tried becoming better at video games?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.