Who else is using voice commands with their Kinect?

#1 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

I think the Kinect support is pretty cool. It seemed pretty gimmicky when I first saw it but it grew on me. If you've got a Kinect hooked up you should shout voice commands at your xbox next time you are playing if you haven't tried it.

#2 Posted by morrelloman (605 posts) -

There is a weird line. It goes a little overboard, but it is certainly impressive.

I like that I can get up an do something else during conversations and just yell out what I want him to say. The squad commands are a little harder, and I dont want to tell every door to open or say "TALK" to talk to an NPC. I think it is great how far they took it and how accurate it is, but I don't feel like using it for all the features that it is offered.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Shouldn't you be asking "Who else has Kinect?" 

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35831 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

He should be saying, "Shields on, Cortana."

#5 Edited by Zacagawea (1577 posts) -

I used them about 10 times. Worked pretty well.

Wouldn't use them if somebody else was home, though.

@AhmadMetallic said:

This isn't really valid. There are a shit ton of them out there.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ive watched a few people play the game. They use the voice commands about 4 times for conversations (never battle) And then just stop. 

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7445 posts) -

They'd sell me on it if I could walk around the Normandy asking "EDI, what's this area of the ship?"

#8 Posted by Vacancy009 (62 posts) -

For Weapon switching and using powers that weren't mapped to buttons I used it a lot. Kept the combat moving faster.

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

He should be saying, "Shields on, Cortana."

Oh man.... Cortana...... Wow I miss playing CE. 

@AndrewB said:

They'd sell me on it if I could walk around the Normandy asking "EDI, what's this area of the ship?"

Your ideas are delicious.
#10 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

I wish they had added headset recognition for the PC version. I know why they didn't, of course, but it looks fun to toy around with in the same way that Endwar was. (although with Endwar, the fun came from purposefully confusing it)

#11 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

I use it occasionally. It works really well.

#12 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

After a year I blew the dust off my Kinect sensor and hooked it up for the first time. It's "meh" for the 360's UI, but I enjoy the hell outta it with Fruit Ninja Kinect (and I don't care for the iOS version) and look forward to seeing how it accents ME3's combat. Will be firing that game up soon.

#13 Posted by Marlowefire (154 posts) -

I used it quite abit during my 30 hours. When the wife was studying I used buttons but shouting squad orders it helped combat moving a bit faster. It was fun shouting "Liara singularity" and doin combos with the buttons. I hate moving down to the d pad for those commands.

Quick tip. If your Shepard doesn't have singularity. You don't have to say the squad mates name. You can just shout the power.

Takes even less time!!
Fuck what anyone says. It's fun to shout the commands when no one else is around.

I also said the lines of dialogue when I was grabbing a drink or when really invested in a scene (Thanes story comes to mind)

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7445 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AndrewB said:

Your ideas are delicious.

My other idea was to have you hide behind a couch in real life while you're stalking people for side quests.

#15 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

I use it in combat pretty often - it's actually really helpful to be shooting at a group of guys, yell "Singularity" and watch them get sucked up into the air.

#16 Edited by Zidd (1836 posts) -

I'd say my success rate with using them has been fairly high, but I've had a few times where I've died because it didn't recognize what I said although that was only when it was really hectic and there was a lot going on.

#17 Posted by StrainedEyes (1319 posts) -

I think it's cool that it works, and some of it is easier than using the controller. But things like saying "Open" when you are near a door instead of just hitting the A button seems silly to me.

It also still bothers me when using it for the dialogue wheel. It's weird that I say one line and Shepard says something completely different. This bothered me during E3 when they showed it off, too.

#18 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

I never used it outside of conversations and combat. I always figured that the way shepard says something different when you say something is that you are just a voice inside his head.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.