Who's Death Effected you the most? (Spoilers)

• 72 results
#1 Posted by jonc151 (70 posts) -

Just curious. Top is contented for me between Anderson and Legion. Legion's soul searching and becoming are very moving. As is Anderson's "Proud of you" talk with Shepard. As a side note I got the "good" ending for the whole game. So Legion didn't turn on me. He gave his life and in the end help all the Quarians.

#2 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Wow dude. Your topic title is a spoiler.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Dagg.

#4 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Spoiler and grammar alert!

#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Did people actually go into Mass Effect 3 thinking no one would die.

#6 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

Fuck!
#7 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

To be perfectly fair he didn't misspell effect... he just used the wrong one. LOL!!! Being the game has effect in the title, I was going in with forgiveness pun before I wanted to rape and pillage the idiot village he's from for the awesome thread title.

#8 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Mordin because he was probably my favorite party member in the entire series so I was sad to see him go.

#9 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Little kid,

#10 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Whose*

#11 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1038 posts) -

"Death Effect", get your trademarks in now!

For me it was Miranda. I romanced her in ME2 but went back to Liara here, which led to a pretty painful Miranda breakup scene. Then when she died at Horizon, it occurred to me that she'd been betrayed by pretty much every man in her life: First her father, then the Illusive Man, then me. I felt like responsible for her death somehow, as if being the latest in a long line of deceitful men in her life is what contributed to her demise. I felt like I should've been there for her, but instead I'd abandoned her. Hit me pretty hard.

#12 Posted by jonc151 (70 posts) -

@Kevin_Cogneto: Wow. I didn't even see that story branch. She survived on my playthrough. I take it the ninja got her.

#13 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1038 posts) -

@jonc151: Yeah.

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Can your romance option die if you rekindle their interest in Mass Effect 3? Now I'm actually kind of petrified that my love interest could eat it. :/

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Whoa whoa whoa, ..... uhh what?

#16 Posted by jonc151 (70 posts) -

@Napalm: It's all dependent on your actions. Your love interest can die or they can live. I've done 2 runs. One with Miranda from previous and one with Tali.

#17 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I haven't beaten it yet so I haven't seen all of them, but so far, my favorite was Thane's death. It's wierd too, he was never my favorite character, but in both 2 and 3, the stuff he's been in has been some of the best written material in either game. Considering he's a space-lizardman dying of space-cancer, they really managed to make his death feel 'authentic'. I mean, you look at Mordin's death, and it was pretty clear that there was no reason he HAD to die, so they threw in the cliched 'I need to stay behind to do X' thing just so we could get some lame melodrama. I bet the same writer would have had Thane die in yours arms after Mr. Cyber-Ninja stabs him too, which would have sucked. Having that simply speed his disease along to the logical conclusion and having him die in a hospital bed with you and his son there was a great move, and one of the best moments I've experienced in the game so far.

I would have really liked Legion's death too, if they had established why he had to die. The Geth stuff was amazing (I wound up letting them wipe out the Quarians!), and I really would have had no problem with Legion sacrificing himself so his people could go on, but they could have set it up a bit better than 'I need to upload this code!' 'Welp, I'm dead!'. It's a lot more forgivable than the Mordin stuff though, since it still makes sense in context, even if it's missing a piece or two.

Can't wait to see Anderson's death now, since people really seem to think highly of it.

#18 Posted by NellyK (78 posts) -

Sorry to be the snarky asshole, but it's "affected," not "effected."

#19 Posted by jonc151 (70 posts) -

@NellyK: Mass Effect. Effected. Pun.

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@jonc151 said:

@Napalm: It's all dependent on your actions. Your love interest can die or they can live. I've done 2 runs. One with Miranda from previous and one with Tali.

I romanced Jack in Mass Effect 2 and rekindled the interest in Mass Effect 3. I'm trying to get as many people as I can on The Crucible to make sure I've got her section of the attack covered. I just met up with Jacob and rescued some ex-Cerberus scientists to help on The Crucible.
#21 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

Kelly was the most sad by far cause u just casualy overhear some dudes saying that she got shot in the face, it just sounded so brutal. (almost cried!)

#22 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

Legion.  

- i teared up with both sadness and joy at the same time

Second only to Mordin. (by a little)

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9844 posts) -

@Silvergun: It's a little closer to space-tuberculosis, but yeah Thane has had some extremely great stuff written for him. The prayer for Shepard as he dies is outstanding.

Mordin dying to make sure the cure goes out is fine with me, I'm sure that's how he would've wanted to go, and he's the salarian equivalent of a 70 year old man.

#24 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Brodehouse: It was space-munchausens's, he faked all the symptoms...in space. That prayer at the end really was great, I'm doing a renegade play through, and when that came up, I just didn't have the heart to do renegade there.

With Mordin's death, I agree that him giving his life to undo what he sees as his biggest mistake works really well. I just think how he dies at the end is poorly written, like it was just tacked on to give him a death scene. I think, for me at least, it's a question of how they lead up to it. Thane's death works so well because your interaction with him beforehand is him having come to terms with the fact that he's going to die soon. I don't think it would have been nearly as good if you'd missed those conversations. Another one is Samara's death and for the same reason. She just up and offs herself at the end of the mission, and while her reason for doing it was actually really cool, there's no time to emotionally invest in the decision. If you'd met her before you go on the mission, find out the Asari in the temple are her daughters, and find out that she's tormented by the thought that she'll have to kill all of them, her suicide could have had a lot more impact.

Maybe I'm just being picky though.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I fucked up and Tali died, I was like FUCK! then re-did the mission.

#26 Posted by smcn (923 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Silvergun: It's a little closer to space-tuberculosis, but yeah Thane has had some extremely great stuff written for him. The prayer for Shepard as he dies is outstanding.

Mordin dying to make sure the cure goes out is fine with me, I'm sure that's how he would've wanted to go, and he's the salarian equivalent of a 70 year old man.

Ditto on Thane. Man. Jennifer Hale is a fucking great actress. This game shows it even more than the previous two.

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (9844 posts) -

@Silvergun: They state it clearly throughout the mission that Rila and Falere are Samara's daughters, plus there was the conversation between Samara and her daughters in Lair of the Shadow Broker. Maybe you just missed that.

#28 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Thane and Anderson. Thane's just felt so natural that someone could actually relate to it instead of the "STAND BACK SHEPARD! I GOT THIS! I HAVE TO DO THIS!" mentality. Seeing an ill man die in a hospital with his loved ones around him is easy to relate to, and because it's easy to relate to it hits just a bit harder to take in. Plus the fact that his last dying wish and prayer was for Shepard makes it all the more touching. As far as Anderson he's been there from the start so being the last one was kind of fitting as well. That's probably it though. Mordin felt forced and Legion just seemed more like martyrdom.

#29 Posted by EToaster (129 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

@Brodehouse: It was space-munchausens's, he faked all the symptoms...in space. That prayer at the end really was great, I'm doing a renegade play through, and when that came up, I just didn't have the heart to do renegade there.

With Mordin's death, I agree that him giving his life to undo what he sees as his biggest mistake works really well. I just think how he dies at the end is poorly written, like it was just tacked on to give him a death scene. I think, for me at least, it's a question of how they lead up to it. Thane's death works so well because your interaction with him beforehand is him having come to terms with the fact that he's going to die soon. I don't think it would have been nearly as good if you'd missed those conversations. Another one is Samara's death and for the same reason. She just up and offs herself at the end of the mission, and while her reason for doing it was actually really cool, there's no time to emotionally invest in the decision. If you'd met her before you go on the mission, find out the Asari in the temple are her daughters, and find out that she's tormented by the thought that she'll have to kill all of them, her suicide could have had a lot more impact.

Maybe I'm just being picky though.

Well, anyone who's not a complete monster wouldn't have gotten this, but Mordin's Renegade Deathis rather... upsetting. There's also a later follow-up.

#30 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

@EToaster said

Well, anyone who's not a complete monster wouldn't have gotten this, but Mordin's Renegade Deathis rather... upsetting. There's also a later follow-up.

I couldn't even finish that video! This is why I don't think I can go through the game as a renegade. Not reading Thane's prayer (I'm an Atheist even), letting Samara die, or sabotaging Mordin are things I can't actually commit to.

#31 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Thane's was the only death were I was like... Fuck (so far, I'm not afriad of spoilers). I just wanted him to be like, Im cool, let's fuck shit up, b/c he was one of my favs in ME2, but seeing him go, sucked. Reading the prayer with Kolyat, was the icing. Also that scene was made for FemShep.

#32 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

@CaptainCharisma said:

@EToaster said

I couldn't even finish that video! This is why I don't think I can go through the game as a renegade. Not reading Thane's prayer (I'm an Atheist even), letting Samara die, or sabotaging Mordin are things I can't actually commit to.

Those are the worst things I've ever seen. Couple all this with the possible endings... The people at Bioware must all been going through a deep, dark depression while making this game.

#33 Posted by Grelik (147 posts) -
@EToaster
Yeah... On my second playthrough where i do my female/renegade shep... It broke my heart when i pulled the trigger and shot mordin in the back.
#34 Posted by Dark (378 posts) -

@EToaster: That is 2 seriously powerful scene's, I don't care what anyone else says. I just finished my first play through and took Tali with me on the final push (big mistake). It says something about the writing and development of characters when these people who are part of a game can attach you so strongly that it brings you to near tears to see things like this happen. When I noticed Tali was dead I litterally said 'ohh fuck no', looks like I am going to have to replay the ending again (not that its worth it IMO, I didn't get the best ending so I probably will.) I fought to keep her alive for 3 games like the rest of the crew and in the very last push of the game she dies.

Also is it just me or did Tali get REALLY possessive the deeper that relationship arc went? Always referring to Shepherd as 'hers', was quite cute in lots of ways, made it even WORSE when she died.

Other than that new soldier dude (thats how much I even spoke to him) I honestly can't think of any other squad member I couldn't just sacrifice, even the prothean was growing on me by the end of the game and he was basically DLC but I suppose he did attach himself to the story quite a bit.

#35 Posted by jonc151 (70 posts) -

@Dark: When did you notice your other 2 died? I guess when I was running at the beacon I didn't bother to look back.

#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Mordin since almost nothing in particular led up to his death, it was sudden and didn't belong. Everyone else's death I accepted.

#37 Posted by White (1341 posts) -

Mordin affected me the most. He doesn't deserve what happened to him at the end. He's supposed to retire on a beach and test sea shells before quietly passing away. And Shepard, Wrex and STG will have many, many words to share about him during his planet-wide memorial.

Not like this....

#38 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

I teared up when Mordin died :'(

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (14752 posts) -

When Bioware killed the Mass Effect series. =(

#40 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Oh you jumped off a cliff? Well moving on.... I guess mordin dying was when I felt sadest, or maybe Anderson after he told me how proud he was....

#41 Posted by Delphic (62 posts) -

I would say Mordin's death affect me the most, but Thane was a close second.

#42 Posted by JeanLuc (3578 posts) -

Mordin singing as he blew up was heartbreaking but some how satisfying. He went out the way he wanted. Anderson's final talk with Shepard affected me the most.

After I beat the game I looked up the different ways the game can play out. Its pretty staggering how many ways these characters fates can play out. Miranda can die like 3 different ways, Tali can commit suicide, You can kill Wrex, Jack can be indoctrinated, you can even get Mordin to live. And that's just scratching the surface. It was never this varied in the previous two games. Mass Effect 3 deserves a lot of credit for that.

#43 Posted by UitDeToekomst (708 posts) -

i've read a lot of different scenarios that occurred for different people, with lots of differences in who died and who didn't. i haven't started playing yet (plan to start this afternoon, having finally completed all the ME2 DLC) and I am wondering if there is a scenario in ME3 in which no one in your crew dies?

#44 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Drama queen!

#45 Posted by JeanLuc (3578 posts) -

@UitDeToekomst said:

i've read a lot of different scenarios that occurred for different people, with lots of differences in who died and who didn't. i haven't started playing yet (plan to start this afternoon, having finally completed all the ME2 DLC) and I am wondering if there is a scenario in ME3 in which no one in your crew dies?

First off, what are you doing here if you haven't played yet? Spoilers man.

and by crew do you mean your ME3 squad or your crew from games?

#46 Posted by UitDeToekomst (708 posts) -

@JeanLuc: spoilers don't bother me. having not played yet, i don't know who is in your party from prior games and who you just come across during the course of the game. so, i guess my question would be directed at ME2 party-members, mainly.

#47 Posted by JeanLuc (3578 posts) -

@UitDeToekomst: Yes some are going to die, its unavoidable. The way they die can change however.

#48 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@JeanLuc: A lot of people aren't bothered by spoilers. Me, for example. I'm not even close to being finished with this game, and I pretty much know what's gonna happen. Doesn't bother me any.

#49 Posted by JeanLuc (3578 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: That's fine with me, I just don't want to spoil anything for those that do care. I'd feel really bad if I did.

#50 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

None really, Mordin went out in a cool way but the deaths didn't affect me emotionally. This game can't even come close to Jackie's girlfriend being killed in The Darkness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.