Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Wikipedia has a section regarding the ending controversy

• 113 results
    SuperSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperSid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_3#Ending_Controversy

The article may or may not be there as it is involved in an edit war due to damage contro.

Ending Controversy

The game's different endings received an overwhelmingly negative response from many fans of the series. The endings have been criticized for not taking the player's dynamic choices into account, for being illogical, depressing, and anti-climatic and for failing to connect with the prior two games of the series. This has led to an outcry on Bioware's official forums, along with the creation of groups on popular social networking sites, such as Facebook's "Demand a Better Ending for Mass Effect 3," which after a matter of hours had over 4,000 likes. The groups are starting petitions in an effort to have the endings changed, and are advocating boycotting future Bioware titles and upcoming Mass effect 3 Downloadable Content if the endings remain unchanged. One such poll on Bioware forums only days after release had over 15,000 signatures. So far, no official response has been issued from Bioware.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By D_W

Sounds like something that will eventually be removed from Wikipedia.

SuperSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperSid

Something more in the media

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/10/the-problem-with-biowares-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-from-ashes/

They certainly cant remove that

http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989

http://www.gamefront.com/player-starts-poll-asking-bioware-for-new-mass-effect-3-ending/

http://beefjack.com/news/players-petition-bioware-to-change-the-mass-effect-3-ending/

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/90335/fans-rage-against-mass-effect-3s-ending-and-demand-something-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gamertell+Gamertell

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-3-fans-petition-bioware-to-change-the-ending-223615.phtml#ext

http://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3#!/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3

http://www.change.org/petitions/mass-effect-3-ending-dlc-we-want-a-dlc-that-changes-the-last-minutes-of-the-game

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This whole thing is fucking stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@HistoryInRust: You're right, the whole ending is fucking stupid.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@depecheload: Don't know why but I laughed a lot when I read that.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

How do I form a petition to demand a less annoying fan base to Mass Effect 3?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethMode

I just can't muster up the amount of vitriol for this that other fans can, it seems. I was satisfied with the ending I got, despite not thinking it was great. It was an ending to a game that I thoroughly enjoyed. All of that said, it certainly was bizarre even in the context of its own game (mechanically even).

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ihmishylje

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Let me know when you find out and I'll sign it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

I'd sign it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

Looks like that section of the Wikipedia article has already been removed.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By elyk247

Mass Effect fans deserved more than what they were given at the end. Sure some are taking it a little too far, but they are well within their right.

I for one hope that another Broken Steel does happen. Bioware's most loyal fans were truly cheated.

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By AnxiousTube

@HistoryInRust: Really? The writing up until that point in the game was seriously well thought out, when you have the scene between Anderson, Shepherd, and The Illusive Man, the game comes to a halt. The games momentum literally plummets at that point. If the writers had looked at their work and took more time with the ending: I don't think the outcry would be so bad. I mean if you go online and look at the three endings on youtube, they are practically all the same. So, how is it stupid for loyal fans to want a well written and well created ending??? The answer is, it's not. What Bioware put out on that disk for the ending of that game feels like it was shoveled out by EA so that Bioware could meet a deadline. I personally would really like to see an updated number of endings to the game, they don't have to change a lot, but they should at least give closer to fans who have been with the game since 2007. That is not a lot to ask.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikey87144

For 100 hours across 3 games Bioware told a great story. The last 10 minutes ruined it.

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AnxiousTube

@mikey87144: A-Greed

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Sign this one so the fucking retarded ending is fixed and then they'll have no reason to complain.

CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I still think it's kind of cool how dedicated some people are. They might be considered "self entitled" or something but this sort of thing has worked before and man that ending just leaves a bad taste in your mouth (for most people it seems)

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SethMode

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Sign this one so the fucking retarded ending is fixed and then they'll have no reason to complain.

A fan base not complain? Surely you can't be serious. People were complaining about this game before it came out (and even before the endings were leaked).

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45

@SethMode said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

A fan base not complain? Surely you can't be serious. People were complaining about this game before it came out (and even before the endings were leaked).

They'll have no current reason to complain?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@CaptainCharisma said:

I still think it's kind of cool how dedicated some people are. They might be considered "self entitled" or something but this sort of thing has worked before and man that ending just leaves a bad taste in your mouth (for most people it seems)

When has this sort of thing worked out before? You tell me when a fucking internet petition caused any game designer to go back at fundamentally change the ending of their game. For Christ's sake, everyone's entitled to their opinion about the ending, but everyone is not entitled to demand changes to the game. Life's full of disappointment kids, suck it the fuck up.

CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@Kevin_Cogneto: My bad, I didn't mean exclusively in video games. I remember reading about a book author having to go through this. And didn't Fallout 3 have something similar. I meant in more in just overall fan reception, not internet petitions.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SethMode

I just personally don't see how DLC changing the ending would help Bioware with the people that are already enraged. Especially considering most of those people were already enraged about day 1 DLC -- if they changed the ending with DLC and it wasn't free? Yikes.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45

@SethMode said:

I just personally don't see how DLC see changing the ending would help Bioware with the people that are already enraged. Especially considering most of those people were already enraged about day 1 DLC -- if they changed the ending with DLC and it wasn't free? Yikes.

Well a poll on their site lists the vast majority of respondants as willing to pay for a DLC ending. Of course, this is anecdotal, the people voting in that are more likely to be viewing those threads because they want a different ending, but still, it's something.

I know I am willing to pay for a better ending.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Yeah, and if they put out a "new official ending" DLC, people will go apeshit because BioWare is charging extra for people to see the finale. It's a terrible, terrible idea. There is already an ending.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sooty

It's quite funny how badly they fucked up the last few moments of the game after how great 2 was.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinworm45

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Yeah, and if they put out a "new official ending" DLC, people will go apeshit because BioWare is charging extra for people to see the finale. It's a terrible, terrible idea. There is already an ending.

People are already going apeshit. What's the difference? If people don't want the new ending, they don't have to pay for it. According to their polls, a majority are willing. I don't see why they'd walk away from money.

And no, there isn't an ending. That was not an ending. That was a piece of shit that tried to flush down the toilet, but it was too big and it got stuck, so it's still there. It's not finished and I won't be content until they release a plumber via DLC.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

People are already going apeshit. What's the difference? If people don't want the new ending, they don't have to pay for it. According to their polls, a majority are willing. I don't see why they'd walk away from money.

And no, there isn't an ending. That was not an ending. That was a piece of shit that tried to flush down the toilet, but it was too big and it got stuck, so it's still there. It's not finished and I won't be content until they release a plumber via DLC.

Yeah, and think of the precedent that would set. "Hey game companies, just an FYI: if you give us an ending that we feel lacks closure or is otherwise unfinished, we will throw even more money at you to give it to us. But please don't abuse that knowledge in any way, okay?" And here this is a fanbase that was furious about being charged day-one DLC for a minor character, and yet is clamoring to pay extra for an ending to the game? Fuck me, it's downright comical at this point.

CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Yeah, and think of the precedent that would set. "Hey game companies, just an FYI: if you give us an ending that we feel lacks closure or is otherwise unfinished, we will throw even more money at you to give it to us. But please don't abuse that knowledge in any way, okay?" And here this is a fanbase that was furious about being charged day-one DLC for a minor character, and yet is clamoring to pay extra for an ending to the game? Fuck me, it's downright comical at this point.

I never saw why people complained about the day one DLC but Javik was far from a minor character. And I've felt for the longest time that video games need to start figuring out how to give proper endings (I'm looking at you Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, LA Noire, etc). So if people don't like something, why not try to make your voice heard? I'm sure this will all die down eventually but if after 3 games people are passionate about a better ending (I just want a better explained one) then let em' go and see how it all plays out.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@CaptainCharisma: Passion is fine, people can complain to their hearts' content, hell sometimes it seems like that's all the internet is for. It's when they start making demands that really gets my blood boiling. If you hate the ending and want to make your voice heard, fine. But petitions and demands to release a new ending are really fucking stupid.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't play the DLC, but compared to an entirely new ending, Javik is pretty minor no matter how you slice it.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Liquidus

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Oh man, thank you for that. That was the first time I genuinely laughed since experiencing that heinous piece of shit. But I don't think paid DLC is the solution here. Free DLC is because otherwise you're basically paying for the ending of a game which means the game was incomplete. And that's kinda how I see it right now because the ending as is........is a waste of every player's time. I have friends who I have tried to convince to play the ME series but now, I can't possibly recommend it to them given that this is the way it all pans out. There's a lot of emotional investment here.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pinworm45

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Broken Steal did it and everyone was happier for it.

If game companies start to exploit this, that's up for the free market to decide. Does a game not end so they can sell it as DLC, and it significantly effects the ending? That's what reviews are for. If it's not worth paying for the end, people won't.

The market is asking for DLC to fix the ending. There's precedent for it. I don't CARE what other companies will think, I care about this situation. I will gladly pay for an extension of the content. I also never cared about the Javik DLC because I got the collectors edition.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45

@Liquidus said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Oh man, thank you for that. That was the first time I genuinely laughed since experiencing that heinous piece of shit. But I don't think paid DLC is the solution here. Free DLC is because otherwise you're basically paying for the ending of a game which means the game was incomplete. And that's kinda how I see it right now because the ending as is........is a waste of every player's time. I have friends who I have tried to convince to play the ME series but now, I can't possibly recommend it to them given that this is the way it all pans out. There's a lot of emotional investment here.

It'd be amazing if they released free DLC, but I just don't think that can be expected. It would cost them a lot of money to make a new ending and they won't do it without compensation. They deserve it, even.. nomatter how much I'd like to say they "owe me" a better ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Ihmishylje

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Let me know when you find out and I'll sign it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By big_jon

@Pinworm45: You make my ass itchy.

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cslaw

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

this man speaks the truth

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45

@Cslaw said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

this man speaks the truth

I never cared about the Day1DLC because the collectors edition said it came with it, and that's what I got.

Also, it's different, because this is post-release content. I also don't think anyone was expecting it to end like this, and as it happens, many people care enough about the series that they'll pay for more content (just like the previous game), it just happens they want that content to work as a conclusion.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Kevin_Cogneto

I'll sign the living shit out of that.

Regardless of whether it is a bad ending or not in my opinion, I will lose a tremendous amount of respect for Bioware if they retcon their artistic vision for this series because a bunch of whiny bitches don't like the outcome.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By napalm

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

I'll sign the living shit out of that. Regardless of whether it is a bad ending or not in my opinion, I will lose a tremendous amount of respect for Bioware if they retcon their artistic vision for this series because a bunch of whiny bitches don't like the outcome.

Retcon their artistic vision? The original ending retconned the entire fucking universe. There's a reason for the disappointment. It isn't misplaced.

CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainCharisma

@Tim_the_Corsair: Whining about whining doesn't really work either. I think people just want some sort of statement from Bioware. Even if they something like, "That is the true ending, life is actually changed for the better or worse depending on your decision" a lot of people would just accept it and move on (not all people but at least some).

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pinworm45

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

I'll sign the living shit out of that. Regardless of whether it is a bad ending or not in my opinion, I will lose a tremendous amount of respect for Bioware if they retcon their artistic vision for this series because a bunch of whiny bitches don't like the outcome.

Considering they already changed their artistic visions for the ending once - and did so after their lead writer had just changed projects - and the result is that it was rushed, illogical, and non conclusive, why wouldn't two wrongs make a right in this situation? And with all of the evidence pointing to the fact that it was a dream anyway, how do you know it's NOT part of their "artistic vision"?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Liquidus

@Pinworm45 said:

@Liquidus said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

It'd be amazing if they released free DLC, but I just don't think that can be expected. It would cost them a lot of money to make a new ending and they won't do it without compensation. They deserve it, even.. nomatter how much I'd like to say they "owe me" a better ending.

Then, no would be my answer. I love Mass Effect dearly, I feel very strongly about the characters and universe in that game and there's few games that I have this much of an attachment to but I feel paying for an ending that we should have gotten in the first place, comprises everyone. It shows companies gamers are willing to put down dollars for the "rest" of the game/story. That ultimately disgusts me more than the craptastic ending of this game. I don't know, gonna have to let the wound heal and then come back and see how I feel.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pinworm45

@Liquidus said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Liquidus said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Then, no would be my answer. I love Mass Effect dearly, I feel very strongly about the characters and universe in that game and there's few games that I have this much of an attachment to but I feel paying for an ending that we should have gotten in the first place, comprises everyone. It shows companies gamers are willing to put down dollars for the "rest" of the game/story. That ultimately disgusts me more than the craptastic ending of this game. I don't know, gonna have to let the wound heal and then come back and see how I feel.

It's the ending we got though. I don't really see the issue with them acknowledging that they could do more with the ending. But it costs them money to add more content. Probably a fair bit too since they'd have to do more VO than usual for it.

I mean, the "REAL" ending to ME2 was The Arrival, not the assault on the collector base. Was it unreasonable for them to charge for that given that it's technically "the ending"? Does the fact that it comes after everything else in the game really make it "worse"? Does the fact that it's a direct continuation really matter?

I don't know. Maybe. But I know I am definitely willing to pay for the ending the series deserves.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

Considering they already changed their artistic visions for the ending once - and did so after their lead writer had just changed projects - and the result is that it was rushed, illogical, and non conclusive, why wouldn't two wrongs make a right in this situation? And with all of the evidence pointing to the fact that it was a dream anyway, how do you know it's NOT part of their "artistic vision"?

And what gives you the right to choose which is the "correct" artistic vision? BioWare is the collective author of this game, if they decided to change the direction of the series, that's their right. And it's your right as a customer to react to it. What you do not have the right to do is dictate terms.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pinworm45

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

And what gives you the right to choose which is the "correct" artistic vision? BioWare is the collective author of this game, if they decided to change the direction of the series, that's their right. And it's your right as a customer to react to it. What you do not have the right to do is dictate terms.

Where am I holding a gun to their head forcing them to do it? How are you NOT choosing which is the "correct artistic vision" when you are asking that they don't change it or add to it? How is that any different at all? You're basically saying any artistic visions they have now (or maybe have already had) are wrong and incorrect if they have anything to do with altering the ending.

I don't like their ending. I think it's terrible. I think it has a negative effect on everything in their past games. I don't think it's up to their standards. I'm letting my voice be heard. How in the blue fuck is that me "dictating terms"? I'm not arming myself and building a team for a suicide mission into Bioware Edmonton, here..

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Napalm

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

Retcon their artistic vision? The original ending retconned the entire fucking universe. There's a reason for the disappointment. It isn't misplaced.

I'm not saying it is, I'm saying that audience dissatisfaction should equal a pandering rewrite.

Do you demand a movie studio change the ending to a movie? An musician rewrite part of a song? An artist paint over part of a canvas? An author rewrite the last ten pages?

No, you express your dislike and the artist lives and dies by the decisions they made.

Regardless of the circumstances leading up to it, Bioware released a finished, final product. Now if they decided as a part of their vision for the story that DLC would be released revealing it was all a dream or Shepard is in the matrix, or whatever, thats up to them (it's a shitty thing to do, mind).

But if they turn around and go "ok guys, we'll rewrite the ending to be what you want, and yay everyone is alive and all is swell in the galaxy", that is completely destroying the integrity of their work, and is artistically bankrupt.
    Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By darkdragonmage99

This is clearly EA's doing EA loves to push shit out the door to save money.  This is just one more developer being ruined by EA's influences and I for one am not  giving bioware anymore of my money while this is going on even if it does kill a developer that was once great. 

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AnxiousTube

@Kevin_Cogneto: I don't feel "self entitled" to a well though out ending to a game. However, one can,legally, sign a petition to change what he or she does not want to have happen or be happening and then it is taken into account. Bioware can do with this petition what they will: they can throw it away or take it into consideration making their trilogy better off for it. In the long run though, Bioware would be better off serving the fan-base: and by all accounts I really don't think it would be so hard for Bioware and EA to add onto the ending.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Tim_the_Corsair
    @Napalm

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@Kevin_Cogneto

I'm not saying it is, I'm saying that audience dissatisfaction should equal a pandering rewrite.

Do you demand a movie studio change the ending to a movie? An musician rewrite part of a song? An artist paint over part of a canvas? An author rewrite the last ten pages?

No, you express your dislike and the artist lives and dies by the decisions they made.

Regardless of the circumstances leading up to it, Bioware released a finished, final product. Now if they decided as a part of their vision for the story that DLC would be released revealing it was all a dream or Shepard is in the matrix, or whatever, thats up to them (it's a shitty thing to do, mind).

But if they turn around and go "ok guys, we'll rewrite the ending to be what you want, and yay everyone is alive and all is swell in the galaxy", that is completely destroying the integrity of their work, and is artistically bankrupt.
    *Should not in the first paragraph. Damn mobile site.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By napalm

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

But if they turn around and go "ok guys, we'll rewrite the ending to be what you want, and yay everyone is alive and all is swell in the galaxy"

Haha. You really think this is why people are upset? Because there wasn't a happy ending? Maybe you should do a wee bit more reading on the topic at hand and what the fans have said before you spout something as illogical as this.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@Pinworm45: I'm saying it's BioWare's call, and since this is obviously the ending they wanted, why in holy hell would they change it? If you really can't see the difference between you demanding that they fundamentally change their product, and me insisting that as the authors they have the right to control their own product, then really there is nothing that can be done for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.