Will Earth and Humanity Fall?

#1 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

After watching the Mass Effect 3 trailer and seeing the article "Earth is burning" I am honestly concered that Earth and Humanity will fall and die, as well as Shepard. While a great ending this would make, I would be hella sad. 

Anyone else wanna way in on this?

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I'm willing to bet it's a choice you have to make. 

Fucking muggles, they're a waste of space and ruined all their potential.  Maybe they deserve to die.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheVideoHustler said:
" After watching the Mass Effect 3 trailer and seeing the article "Earth is burning" I am honestly concered that Earth and Humanity will fall and die, as well as Shepard. While a great ending this would make, I would be hella sad.   Anyone else wanna way in on this? "
Why did you say Hella? 
#4 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

ME2 was a dark part of the trilogy. Even if it's an RPG, Earth will have to prevail no matter what.

#5 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3: 

Yeah I mean, they make humanity out to be the civilization that does what they please without caring if it's possible or not. They are the force-of-will kinda people
#6 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 

That's the kinda guy I am
#7 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

I think the real question is if saving humanity/Earth will be a paragon choice or not. Benefiting humanity has never really been a paragon thing to do so who knows what circumstances might be presented when the time comes.

#8 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -
@innacces14: 
See my thought on that is, wouldn't the saving of a species be to huge of a choice to make?
#9 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

I think itll be a choice at the end. I can see the end being like you find the source of the reapers or the main hive or whatever. But you know of a imminent Reaper attack on Earth. You then have the choice to either stay and defend earth, but miss out on your chance to desttroy the reaper home world or whatever. Or you can go and find the source of the Reapers on a  different planet and stop them for good, but doing so will leave Earth open and doomed.
#10 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -
@TheVideoHustler said:
" @innacces14:  See my thought on that is, wouldn't the saving of a species be to huge of a choice to make? "
Nobody knows how big the invasion is to begin with. We only see Earth being attacked, but that doesn't necessarily rule out all the other planets/colonies from being reaper fodder. All anyone can do right now is infer.
#11 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

I hope that decision is mine to make. Or maybe not even an outright decision, but something that is slowly determined through the course of the game depending on my actions. Perhaps Earth needs to be sacrificed in order to stop the Reapers? Maybe Humanity needs to take one for the team to end the onslaught?

I also hope that all the reapers don't look the same as Sovereign.

#12 Edited by Jeust (10631 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

" I think itll be a choice at the end. I can see the end being like you find the source of the reapers or the main hive or whatever. But you know of a imminent Reaper attack on Earth. You then have the choice to either stay and defend earth, but miss out on your chance to desttroy the reaper home world or whatever. Or you can go and find the source of the Reapers on a  different planet and stop them for good, but doing so will leave Earth open and doomed. "

I can see that happening. For me it is also a question that will be resolved by choice, or who knows it by a determinate set of time, like the oldie Prince of Persia. You're on a timer, and if you don't destroy the Reapers on a given time, say bye bye to Earth, the Citadel and to races that inhabit the known Universe. That would be awesome!
#13 Posted by AndyPhifer (169 posts) -

OK, this is lore heavy, and some of it might be wrong. Correct me if so...  
As I recall, the goal of the Reaper's is to harvest humanity for their DNA (or whatever) to create more Reapers, right?  Isn't there something in the ME lore about how the Reapers come to the galaxy, destroy all life, then seed it with new life to then come destroy again? And that each time they comes back, they come in the form of the last surviving race? That's why the humans have Prothean DNA in them, because that's the DNA marker the Reapers put in each species they create. That's why the new Reaper that was the final boss in ME2 looks like a human. They've got that big fleet coming, but I figure they'll still need to harvest the humans for... something. Whatever.  

SO! Sure, I could see there being a choice. 
Go the easy route and destroy humanity so the Reapers won't be able to procreate more. 
Go the far more difficult hard route and save humanity while also killing the Reapers.

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yes.

OH WAIT, this is about video games.

#15 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Jeust:

I could see what you said also. I dont know, im excited to find out though. Since this is the last game of this specific Mass Effect trilogy, they gotta end it with a bang.
#16 Edited by csl316 (8634 posts) -

I'm thinking it'll be a Halo Reach situation.  spoilers for Reach, i guess:

#17 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@csl316:

Is the ending to reach even a spoiler?
#18 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

What I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, is that the fight to save Earth from the Reapers will be at the climax of the game, and Shepherd will reunite with all of his former crew members from the first two games, (that is if your crew from Mass Effect 2 survived the suicide mission) to battle those creatures.  

As for Humanity falling, I played the first two games as a Paragon, and I don't intend to change that, unless I am forced to make choices that stray me onto the path of the Renegade.        

#19 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I think so. 
#20 Posted by Shaanyboi (1290 posts) -

I killed the Geth, but spared the Rachni.  I hope by the former, I haven't potentially fucked over the survival chances of humanity by not having a sizable enough army. 

Anyways, CANNOT WAIT for this game.  

#21 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

That would be a bit disappointing if everyone just died at the end. That'd be like the second worst ending to an alien invasion (that I can think of just now) after The War of the Worlds.

#22 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -
@Shaanyboi: 

So excited
#23 Edited by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

So who's gonna be pissed if saving earth is entirely dependent on a decision you made in ME One, and/orTwo, and not in this one? 

@extremeradical
said:

" That would be a bit disappointing if everyone just died at the end. That'd be like the second worst ending to an alien invasion (that I can think of just now) after The War of the Worlds. "

M Night' Signs
#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6302 posts) -

There has to be an ending like that. I mean, after having a possible outcome in the second game where the entire party dies, there can't not be an apocalyptic ending in Mass Effect 3.

And I fucking can't wait to see it Finally, we'll see what happens when the totalitarian bad guys wipe the galaxy clean of life.

#25 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Raven_Sword said:

" I think itll be a choice at the end. I can see the end being like you find the source of the reapers or the main hive or whatever. But you know of a imminent Reaper attack on Earth. You then have the choice to either stay and defend earth, but miss out on your chance to desttroy the reaper home world or whatever. Or you can go and find the source of the Reapers on a  different planet and stop them for good, but doing so will leave Earth open and doomed. "

I can see that happening. For me it is also a question that will be resolved by choice, or who knows it by a determinate set of time, like the oldie Prince of Persia. You're on a timer, and if you don't destroy the Reapers on a given time, say bye bye to Earth, the Citadel and to races that inhabit the known Universe. That would be awesome! "
That would be awesome, though I would also like for them to also go for a completely good ending where you somehow figured out how to save both Earth and everything else, whilst eliminating the threat.  Of course, it should be really difficult to accomplish otherwise that kind of an ending would feel unearned in my opinion.  Otherwise, interesting ending possibilities Bioware can take.  Hope to god they don't screw it up.
#26 Edited by Jeust (10631 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

" @Jeust: I could see what you said also. I dont know, im excited to find out though. Since this is the last game of this specific Mass Effect trilogy, they gotta end it with a bang. "

And they will. I just hope they refine the Mass Effect formula even further and deliver an unparalleled experience.  Hope that isn't expecting too much... ^^; 

@ShiftyMagician said: 

" @Jeust said:

" @Raven_Sword said:

I can see that happening. For me it is also a question that will be resolved by choice, or who knows it by a determinate set of time, like the oldie Prince of Persia. You're on a timer, and if you don't destroy the Reapers on a given time, say bye bye to Earth, the Citadel and to races that inhabit the known Universe. That would be awesome! "
That would be awesome, though I would also like for them to also go for a completely good ending where you somehow figured out how to save both Earth and everything else, whilst eliminating the threat.  Of course, it should be really difficult to accomplish otherwise that kind of an ending would feel unearned in my opinion.  Otherwise, interesting ending possibilities Bioware can take.  Hope to god they don't screw it up. "
They probably wont. I just hope they learnt to flesh the relationships among comrades into more organic bonds, like in Alpha Protocol. That would make Mass Effect 3 a game like no other, a masterpiece. 
#27 Posted by HistoryInRust (6302 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" That would be a bit disappointing if everyone just died at the end. That'd be like the second worst ending to an alien invasion (that I can think of just now) after The War of the Worlds. "
This is the reason why I think it's going to be the ultra-awful ending. You'll probably have to go out of your way to get it, kind of like with the everyone-dies ending in 2. 

Just my guess, though. If they throw that sort of ending in there as some sort of "canonical" ending . . . whoa.
#28 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @extremeradical said:
This is the reason why I think it's going to be the ultra-awful ending. You'll probably have to go out of your way to get it, kind of like with the everyone-dies ending in 2.   Just my guess, though. If they throw that sort of ending in there as some sort of "canonical" ending . . . whoa. "
That sounds reasonable. I mean, Mass Effect 2 can end with everyone dying, but it's not really the easiest one to get.
#29 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

Obviously thats up for you to decide

#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

What if its between Humanity and Shepard dying? 

I betcha that the end of ME3 will be the end of shepards story, I know they have been saying that but as in his death

#31 Posted by HistoryInRust (6302 posts) -
@Dany: It's the easy way out, but I totally bet you're right.
#32 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

Also, I know this no way pertains to this topic but I want the same damn music in the third game that was in the first one, maybe some changes but the soundtrack, to me is so iconic, bringing it back effectively would just work on so many levels

#33 Posted by HubrisRanger (489 posts) -

Casey Hudson has said in various places that the endings to Mass Effect 3 are going to be pretty divergent, seeing how they don't (in theory) have to set a status quo for the story to continue, so they can just take everything that has happened in the two previous games, add the decision you make through the third and go in wildly different directions. I suspect some of those endings, IE if you don't gain the full loyalty of all or most of the other civilizations, will end Very Badly, both for humanity and Earth, to say nothing of Shepard's final fate.

#34 Posted by HistoryInRust (6302 posts) -
@HubrisRanger: It's really the truth. There isn't a distinguished "canon" anymore. Not really after the first game and especially not after the second. 

All the tertiary fiction is mostly pre-Mass Effect 1 anyway, right? So anything's fair game.
#35 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I think it will be a choice you have to make. Or at least Earth's fate will depend on choices you've made throughout the series.  It seems like in both games so far there's been a noticeable tendency to make you choose between the advancement of mankind or the greater good of the galaxy. I could see you potentially having to choose between saving Earth or sacrificing it to save something else of a higher importance. 

#36 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

I'm sure that could be one possible outcome of the game. I'd be both surprised and bummed if you couldn't fail humanity and lead it to it's utter destruction.

#37 Posted by BaneFireLord (2933 posts) -

I want the choice to be able to join the Reapers.

#38 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

Depends on if you select the left option or the right option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.