Would anyone buy the multiplayer for ME3 as standalone game?

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Red_R0B0T (32 posts) -

Watching the most recent Thursday Night Throwdown made me crave a few rounds of ME3 multi, but I no longer own the game.

Buying the whole shebang just for some horde mode seems silly; I wish there were an option to download the multi from xbla or psn for like 5 or 10 bucks.

I realize that the 'readiness rating' and bonus attached to promoted characters would be meaningless without the context of the single player, but this seems like a minor issue.

Would anyone else buy this?

#2 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I sure wouldn't. I have no interest in ME multiplayer (even though I enjoyed it) at all.

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2127 posts) -

Not a chance. Bet someone would though,

#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not unless they revamped the whole progression and unlock system. The whole thing is so laden with redundancy and tailored for infinite microtransactions, it makes me want to commit genocide - and that wouldn't have been enough of an outlet for my rage.

I guess I'd have been okay with it, if it was a free 2 play game to begin with. It wasn't however. So no, I'd rather kill them, than pay them for raping my innocence away with their evil business scheme driven designs.

P.S. All of this is hyperbole, I have no intent to murder anyone over Mass Effect 3 - just so were clear.

#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Fuck no. I never even had the inclination to fire it up when ME3 came out.

#6 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I own the game, but not an online pass. Honestly i really like the combat in ME3, and i kinda skip through most of the story stuff to get through to it. So an all combat all the time mode appeals to me greatly. Maybe if there was a lot more to the mode and they removed the microtransactions and it was a XBLA title, then sure, why not.

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Fuck no.

#8 Posted by Heltom92 (698 posts) -

I probably would if they fleshed it out a bit more. I had a great time with the ME3 multiplayer.

#9 Posted by FTomato (233 posts) -

I liked it, and it's worth playing, but it's not worth buying. I wouldn't recommend anyone who picked up Mass Effect 3 used to buy the online pass.

#10 Posted by FLStyle (4532 posts) -

It would have to be heavily expanded before I'd hand any money over.

#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14050 posts) -

Christ, no. I didn't like the ME3 multiplayer, not just because of the way it tied into the campaign, but because I thought the gameplay within itself didn't stand up. The thing that everyone goes to Mass Effect for is the exploration and the narrative, and when you take that out you're not really left with much.

#12 Posted by guttridgeb (23 posts) -

If they expanded it a bit I might be tempted...

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I would if they added some more enemy factions and take out the silly random unlock system. Hell if it wasn't for the unlock system I'd still be playing. 

After buying more than 20 of those expensive packs and not getting a single new character from beyond the first expansion (Already got the Batarians and Krogans and Geth) kind of murdered the entire point for me.

#14 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 isn't a good enough third-person shooter for me to even want to play the game again purely for the gameplay, so no.

#15 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

The concept is solid, and there could be a good MP game behind all that, hell i've enjoyed my time with it for a bit. But the maps are incredibly limited in scope and tactics, they get very boring very quick playing in the same tiny areas over and over. Christ CoD maps are bigger for the most part. And there is only so much you can squeeze out of a vs. AI mode, when other humans can keep things interesting, the AI can't. Thirdly the shooting/cover/mobility basically the underlying mechanics are still not up to snuff when compared to pure third person shooters.

So no.

#16 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Yes! I played it for over 100 hours. Definitely will buy it stand alone. Hope the next game expands on this mode.

#17 Posted by Red_R0B0T (32 posts) -

I can't argue with anyone that says its a mediocre 3rd person shooter.

Gears of War it is not. Hell, it's not even Army of Two. Sticking to cover when you didn't intend to was a pain, and it had numerous bugs and glitches.

But I think the shooting was passable, much improved from ME2, and the powers and abilities of the different classes complimented it well enough that I didn't care.

At the time ME3 came out, I played the multiplayer so much that I took a break from the single player just so I could keep playing. I figured once I beat the campaign, I wouldn't want to come back to it. That turned out to be the case.

I guess my desire to go back to it is probably a passing thing, and if they DID have a 10 dollar download, I'd regret my purchase 2 hours later.

The Mass Effect universe is such a well designed thing, though. I love the alien races and the tech. The sound design is amazing. Biotic explosions are one of my favorite video game sound effects.

I would not mind another pass at that universe, maybe in a better MP product.

#18 Posted by UitDeToekomst (699 posts) -

I wouldn't buy it, but I would certainly support its release if it meant that future main franchise games would have no multiplayer component and stick to just single-player campaign.

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -

I dumped so much time into Mass Effect 3's multiplayer that I'd be a hypocrite if I said anything other than "Yes."

Why? Because I pretty much already did buy it as a standalone game. I played through the singleplayer once and never touched it again, yet I shoveled hundreds of hours this year into that game with a surprisingly active and intelligent community.

The game's mechanics are janky at times. The AI is at points way too powerful. And the player characters are mostly too frail. But Bioware updated the game's balancing every week and provided free content package after free content package, even going so far as to rebuild the scoring system from the ground up.

Call me crazy, but I'm of the opinion that there's more value in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer than there ever was in its singleplayer.

#20 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

No, but I would buy a 'play an expansive campaign with 3 of your friends' stand alone.

I'd love a full blown Mass Effect adventure in the coop style of the mp.

#21 Posted by Red_R0B0T (32 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay: I have a feeling we're going to get something like that out of the next ME game.

@HistoryInRust: oh, totally. The MP was a daily addiction for me, and doing the Operation challenges were a blast. I don't regret a minute (or dollar) I spent on it.

What I would really love is a new game set in the ME universe that is MP focused, but not deathmatch based.

Something with the same social challenges, score chase, and reliance on team work, but with bigger maps, better objectives, and a broader range of enemy types.

Something that's a cross between Syndicate's co-op missions and the Spartan Ops in Halo 4, maybe?

#22 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I adore the multiplayer, in fact I think it's probably the game I've spent the most time with this year, thanks to the pretty awesome and consistent DLC support post-launch... but as it stands currently I don't think it would work as a standalone title. Maybe if they stripped out most of the Microtransactions and made it an XBLA title, perhaps then, but I think they'd have to add more scope to it to feel worth that. As just an accompaniment to ME3 though,  it's one of my favourite multiplayers this year, with a surprisingly active and decent community. I'd like to see it return in future ME titles, something I never thought I'd want to say when it was announced! 

That said...

@PhatSeeJay said:

No, but I would buy a 'play an expansive campaign with 3 of your friends' stand alone.

I'd love a full blown Mass Effect adventure in the coop style of the mp.

I would definitely be up for this though!
#23 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Needs more PVP

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (7915 posts) -

It would depend in pricing and just how far they expanded it out. I had a ton of fun with the ME3 multiplayer and only stopped playing it after Diablo 3 came out and took over all my time. It was a ton of fun.

#25 Edited by pweidman (2284 posts) -

I'd probably buy that, yes. Played the hell outta that mp. Loved playing w/friends, and all the free DLC kept us coming back. I have to agree though that I would hope they'd revamp the weapon unlocks. Maybe just a menu and prices instead of the random unlocks, perhaps expanding based on N7 rank. Also the micros need to be gone as well if it's a stand alone retail release/purchase.

#26 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2284 posts) -

No. Considering the game is like $20 now I'd rather just buy the full game.

#27 Posted by ProfessorK (813 posts) -

I really like it and still play it. I'd buy it if it was massively fleshed out. Tons of guns, character customization, getting rid of the power and gun limit. Basically just make it MEs action segments except instead of AI squadmates just have actual players. Thinking about it now, it seems that the ME3 MP may be a big as beta for a full retail release.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

I'm moderately interested in it, though I haven't played any ME3 and don't plan to. They blew all their good will with me and any interest I had after ME2. 

So yeah, even though I have absolutely zero interest in the ME3 single player, I'd probably pick up the multiplayer standalone for like $10-15.

#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

I do like the ME Universe, the weapons and factions within it; But I wouldn't pick up a standalone of this as is.

#30 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

Well seeing as it was literally the only good thing about Mass Effect 3 then yes I would definately buy a standalone version.

#31 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I've put dozens of hours into the multiplayer, far more than I ever put into the ME3's singleplayer which is completely odd for me as I've replayed the past entries in the series several times before finally being satisfied. The multiplayer in the ME3 might feel a little janky at times, but it has more depth than most people tend to give it.

#32 Posted by GnomeonFire (694 posts) -

Wouldn't have any desire, because I think the multiplayer sucks honestly.

#33 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

It'd make more sense if it that part of the game was available as a free download. That thing makes money off microtransactions anyway.

#34 Posted by smcn (847 posts) -

Technically I already did since I play on PC and could have just pirated it.

#35 Posted by Fawkes (229 posts) -

No, it was fun for a while but I eventually got tired of it. And any time I thought about popping it back in I'd see they added a bunch of new classes and feel discouraged because unlocking them would take forever and/or cost money.

#36 Posted by Silver-Streak (1328 posts) -

It's a horde mode only. So definitely not.

#37 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5174 posts) -

Yeah and I'd totally buy like 50 super special awesome spectre packs.

On a serious note ME3's multiplayer is mildly amusing but huge class imbalances and being 40-50% based on your setup and gear as opposed to skill makes it one of the worst horde modes. Also lack of mobility is a pretty serious issue especially coming from something like Uncharted 3 which is 85-90% skill and you move rapidly and efficiently throughout the entire environment.

#38 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Hell no. I only played it enough to get 4000 points going into the final level in single player and was bored to tears the whole time. Haven't touched it since.

#39 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

It would work as a F2P XBLA game, supported by the microtransactions. That would actually make quite a bit of sense.

#40 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1407 posts) -

@Seppli:

I think this tendency to get morally outraged over micro-transactions needs to stop. I am actually glad that the MP has micro-transactions. I haven't spent a cent on them, but they are there for people that want to and it keeps all the multiplayer expansions (of which there have been many) completely free. I'll take free content with the option to spend money over $15 map packs every day of the week.

#41 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Seppli

Not unless they revamped the whole progression and unlock system. The whole thing is so laden with redundancy and tailored for infinite microtransactions, it makes me want to commit genocide - and that wouldn't have been enough of an outlet for my rage.

I guess I'd have been okay with it, if it was a free 2 play game to begin with. It wasn't however. So no, I'd rather kill them, than pay them for raping my innocence away with their evil business scheme driven designs.

P.S. All of this is hyperbole, I have no intent to murder anyone over Mass Effect 3 - just so were clear.

You know for only 5 bucks you can buy a chest that might have a weapon to help you commit that genoside. Course you might not be high enough level to use it. Or the right class or the right class and level. But hey it's still only 5 bucks. You feel lucky right?
#42 Posted by csl316 (7976 posts) -

I had a good time, but wouldn't prefer a standalone game. I wouldn't have tried it if there was no campaign incentive, honestly.

I think the gameplay is fun and unique enough with all the different powers and enemy types. Maybe not as tight as Gears of War, but overall a bit more enjoyable to me.

#43 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I really do need to play Mass Effect 3 before the year is out. Is there people still playing the multiplayer that it wouldn't be all that difficult to find a game?

#44 Posted by smcn (847 posts) -

@TheUnsavedHero said:

I really do need to play Mass Effect 3 before the year is out. Is there people still playing the multiplayer that it wouldn't be all that difficult to find a game?

I play every day on PC and matchmaking is always instantaneous

#45 Posted by WizardlySquid (25 posts) -

No, but I would and did buy single player only mass effect games.

#46 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Seppli

You know for only 5 bucks you can buy a chest that might have a weapon to help you commit that genoside. Course you might not be high enough level to use it. Or the right class or the right class and level. But hey it's still only 5 bucks. You feel lucky right?

There are no level or class restrictions on weapons. Ryan was talking out of his ass the entire TNT about almost everything to do with ME3 mp.

Not excusing the grindy (or paid for), random unlocks tho.

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Seppli

There are no level or class restrictions on weapons. Ryan was talking out of his ass the entire TNT about almost everything to do with ME3 mp.

Not excusing the grindy (or paid for), random unlocks tho.

Im making fun of the micro transaction stuff. I know there is no level or class need. 
#48 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

Fuck no.

#49 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

I don't think so. I tried a little bit of the multiplayer and I enjoyed it, but I prefer only playing story-driven single-player games.

#50 Posted by EXTomar (4446 posts) -

I would not buy this mode as a stand alone game. It would have to be reworked and rewards redone before it would work by itself. Even saying that, I would buy a co-op, mission based, squad game set in the Mass Effect universe which is what I wanted instead of a mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.