You must take Javik to Thessia. (Spoiler)

#1 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

If it's not too late for you then you must take Javik to the Asari home world Thessia. Trust me you will not regret it. I myself took Garrus on my first run but had to restart the mission once I got to the end of it. However, for those of you who are already too far a head I found this video. If you haven't reached that part of the game then please don't watch the video as it does contain some spoilers.

#2 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

Welp! I messed up! I just did this area last night with Garrus. I thought it was funny but everytime he mentioned "Athene was Prothean" made me realize I'd taken the wrong character. Damn. But thanks for the youtube link! this makes up for it!

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten to that part yet, I believe, so I'll make sure to take Javik there when I do.

#4 Posted by Jaytow (673 posts) -

Yeah, I did this. Some interesting stuff between Liara and Javik.

#5 Posted by GaspoweR (2514 posts) -

I'll do that. Thank you sir!

#6 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

yeah it's the best part of the DLC, lots of lore and explanation from Javik.

#7 Edited by SpartyOn (499 posts) -

Once I got to this part I realized Javik might be my favorite mass effect character....but damn I really like EDI and Mordin.

#8 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

Yeah I kinda regret not bringing Javik along to Thessia, but Garrus delivered some really clever remarks at the Prothean resemblances so it was good enough.

Comforting Liara after she goes stark raving mad at Javik was also great.

#9 Posted by jonc151 (68 posts) -

Javik is an awesome character. Don't care about all the DLC hating going on. He's constant condescension to all the other races is hilarious. But he does redeem and bring hope with the right nudging from Shepard. Totally worth it.

#10 Posted by SmasheControllers (2543 posts) -

I did, I didn't even know anything cool would happen. I just never used him yet and thought that was a good place to try him out.

#11 Posted by CaptainCharisma (338 posts) -

I brought Garrus and replayed the mission again because Garrus' dialogue made it pretty clear Javik would be really interesting there.

#12 Posted by Tearhead (2104 posts) -

Yeah, I bought this dlc right before I did that mission. Guess I lucked out.

#13 Posted by Hilikus (279 posts) -

Thought about restarting and taking him through once I reached that part, but figured I'd take care of it another time. Still had a nice confrontation between Liara and Javik after the mission was over though.

#14 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

That is actually really good to know, wish I would have done it my play-through. Also it's really weird hearing Shepard's voice not on my character.

#15 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

Yeah, this was the first mission I took him on, glad I did. Now I really want to go back and get him on my squad from the start of the game.

#16 Posted by SavageManLove (87 posts) -

Day 1 DLC shenanigans aside I actually thought Javik was a really useful party member. Slap that alien beam rifle on him and get his offensive powers up and he was quite the powerful dude. Was a mainstay in my party ...but the whole rasta accent was a little weird sometimes.

#17 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

So around 2:07 in the video the asari walks through the camera and you can see her teeth and eye floating there. Sorry, just something that bothered me.

#18 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

There's something wrong with Shepard. He doesn't look like he does in my game!

On topic: I messed up too. I'll replay it with him. Thanks for the heads up, duder!

#19 Posted by ShaggE (5986 posts) -

I'm glad I did. I took Javik just because I wanted to see how he interacted with Liara on a mission, and I got very pleasantly surprised.

Online
#20 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@SavageManLove said:

Day 1 DLC shenanigans aside I actually thought Javik was a really useful party member. Slap that alien beam rifle on him and get his offensive powers up and he was quite the powerful dude. Was a mainstay in my party ...but the whole rasta accent was a little weird sometimes.

It's actually more of an South African accent, but yeah... I agree probably the best party member to have. I was a little shocked to find out he was actually day 1 dlc, I paid for the game with a gift card so I didn't think much about buying the 80 dollar version. I figured I'd play the shit out of either way so might as well get the one with all of the perks and what not.

#21 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1039 posts) -

Well, shit, that was awesome. Thanks for posting the video.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7565 posts) -

I took him along because I thought he might have an extra line or two of dialogue about the artifact. I was pleasantly surprised.

#23 Posted by ballsnbayonets (154 posts) -

omg lol did you hessitate to kill children javik. answer: badass.

#24 Posted by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

I'm glad Javik was more integrated into the game then Zaeed was. Javik dropped a lot of tidbits about the Mass Effect lore.

#25 Posted by SynergisticSyn (29 posts) -
@137 said:

It's actually more of an South African accent, but yeah... I agree probably the best party member to have. I was a little shocked to find out he was actually day 1 dlc, I paid for the game with a gift card so I didn't think much about buying the 80 dollar version. I figured I'd play the shit out of either way so might as well get the one with all of the perks and what not.

Diplomatic Immunity!
#26 Edited by Dany (7886 posts) -

Javik is KEY for thessia, I could not imagine anyone else to be alongside with for that misison.

It also helps that thessia is awesome as shit, best mission in the game.

#27 Posted by Jedted (2258 posts) -

Interesting stuff! Can't say i'm that surprised at the Prothean's involvement in asari history though, we know they studied humans in-depth. I geuss the asari happened to be their favorites.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I used Liara and Garrus for my first playthrough. Second I'm taking EDI and James. And then Tali and Virmire.

#29 Posted by Maginnovision (481 posts) -

I don't really think it adds much, and in some places it seems weird that he says something and nobody acknowledges that he did.

#30 Posted by drumpsycho89 (504 posts) -

i didnt take him on this mission and i kinday waaaaay wish i had! is thessia still supose to fall tho? i kinda dont want to watch the vid cuz im gona play through it again and see what happens. sa wait maybe dont tell me if thessia falls.....?

#31 Posted by Quarters (1548 posts) -

Been wanting to see this ever since I beat the game, because I took Ash. After watching this...man, I totally need to do this next time around.

#32 Posted by Scofthe7seas (45 posts) -

@Dany said:

Javik is KEY for thessia, I could not imagine anyone else to be alongside with for that misison.

It also helps that thessia is awesome as shit, best mission in the game.

Madness, sir. Tuchanka all the way. The giant worm, genephage cure, and the Mordin part... burnt into my brain forever as being amazing.

@Brodehouse said:

I used Liara and Garrus for my first playthrough. Second I'm taking EDI and James. And then Tali and Virmire.

Virmire!? Is that some new DLC? What kind of stat bonuses does a planet have, and how does that thing fit on the Normandy? ;)

Mockery aside; I played through it with my normal squad until I got to the prothean stuff. The artifacts, the VI. Knew I had to restart and bring Javik with. Hammering the subject into a living death, I can't help but be annoyed that Javik is an optional purchase-only character that is basically a regular full on character. It's almost like having to pay for Liara, or Tali.. or more realistically James. James actually might be more inconsequential than Javik, at least to me he was.

#33 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Still glad I didn't support this particular piece of BS DLC practice.

#34 Posted by LiquidPrince (15609 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten to that part yet, I believe, so I'll make sure to take Javik there when I do.

Yeah I took him randomly and was so damn surprised... Can't even imagine how that scene would play out without Javik...

#35 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

I often take Javik along whenever there's interactions with the other races because I knew that he would give some cool lore backstory. Glad I took him to Thessia.

#36 Posted by Zero_ (1970 posts) -

This is so stupid how they've paywalled him out...

#37 Edited by Superfriend (1458 posts) -

I don´t know.. most of this is just confirming very, very obvious hints that the Asari were uplifted by the Protheans and not some mythical goddess thing. All Javik really does is basically scream "Prothean, dumbass!" after everything Liara says.

It´s not like this stuff is only there if you have him in your party.. and, come on: By that point you already know what the Protheans basically looked like and those murals and busts aren´t exactly subtle. I guess If you want everything "explained" (or every suspicion confirmed a couple of times) then you probably need him in your party or something.

Edit: Why does everybody, including the dude who made the gameplay vid, just choose all paragon all the time? Hell, they don´t even read what is on the screen most of the time.. noticed this sort of thing with some of my friends too. Weird too always choose the same thing in a game that is supposed to be about "choice"

#38 Posted by OneManX (1664 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

I don´t know.. most of this is just confirming very, very obvious hints that the Asari were uplifted by the Protheans and not some mythical goddess thing. All Javik really does is basically scream "Prothean, dumbass!" after everything Liara says.

It´s not like this stuff is only there if you have him in your party.. and, come on: By that point you already know what the Protheans basically looked like and those murals and busts aren´t exactly subtle. I guess If you want everything "explained" (or every suspicion confirmed a couple of times) then you probably need him in your party or something.

Edit: Why does everybody, including the dude who made the gameplay vid, just choose all paragon all the time? Hell, they don´t even read what is on the screen most of the time.. noticed this sort of thing with some of my friends too. Weird too always choose the same thing in a game that is supposed to be about "choice"

I dont know why, but the thought of Javik saying that, made me laugh very hard.

As for every picking the paragon choice, most people through completely paragon or Renegade. But I suspect a majority of people just play as a mix and go one way sometimes and the other way, other times.

#39 Posted by jonny_mung (90 posts) -

@Dany said:

Javik is KEY for thessia, I could not imagine anyone else to be alongside with for that misison.

It also helps that thessia is awesome as shit, best mission in the game.

Agreed. The context he brought to this mission I found super compelling. It was a highlight of the game for me.

@Zero_ said:

This is so stupid how they've paywalled him out...

Also agree. I think Bioware dropped the ball. Javik brought so many other great little moments in the game for me that I think he really should have been part of the main package so everyone could have had the chance to enjoy how well written and acted he was. I felt he was another gem of a character created by Bioware (much better than some of the others in ME3 IMO) and a lot of people may not even see him.

Even his one-liners (his intial reponse to Tali on the first Quarian mission was gold) were great.

#40 Posted by TheHT (10286 posts) -

The post-Thessia scene between him and Liara on the Normandy is pretty good too.

#41 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

That day, Liara learned that the Prothean meaning of the name "Javik" was "Trollface"

#42 Posted by Captain_Insano (1514 posts) -

Take Javik everywhere. I can't believe he is an 'optional' DLC character. I ended up buying him day 1 although begrudgingly but he contributed so much to the game experience.

#43 Posted by BRich (428 posts) -

I took Javik on nearly every mission, I think he ended up being my favorite character.

#44 Posted by Zleunamme (609 posts) -

Javik is a cool character. It was fun bring him and Liara to the salarian home world to pick up the female krogan. I still think that Javik's story is too integral to the main story for him to be sold as a DLC character. I'm surprised that there hasn't been much of an uproar about the number of party members being cut to half. After replaying Mass Effect 2. ME3 is shorter game. I guess Bioware was counting on multiplayer to fill in for time.

#45 Posted by Zlimness (504 posts) -

@Zleunamme said:

Javik is a cool character. It was fun bring him and Liara to the salarian home world to pick up the female krogan. I still think that Javik's story is too integral to the main story for him to be sold as a DLC character. I'm surprised that there hasn't been much of an uproar about the number of party members being cut to half. After replaying Mass Effect 2. ME3 is shorter game. I guess Bioware was counting on multiplayer to fill in for time.

I recently bought the game and I don't have Javik. It's impossible for me to say what I'm missing since I never had him in the first place, but 10 hours in and the game is seriously lacking integral party members. I almost always pick Garrus and Liara, and I don't even care that much for Liara. It's weird to go from ME2, with so many good characters that it was hard to choose between them, to ME3 and so few I have to take the same two everytime. EDI just says a bunch of obvious things instead of being blunt like a computer would be and James don't say much at all. So yeah, making a supposedly integral character DLC was not what this game needed.

#46 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

He's an essential character imo, though I tried to resist going into missions with anybody else using the beam rifle because that thing is hella OP. It does look cool though when all 3 of your team are ice beaming the same thing.

#47 Posted by Tyashki (198 posts) -

EDI gave me the information I needed from that scene by simple deduction. I wouldn't call Javik 'essential' in the slightest. And the later confrontation with Liara happened anyway.

#48 Posted by Akyho (1549 posts) -

I finished the missions and when they said "prothean VI" I went "AWWW i shoulda took Javik."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.