Mass Effect: Casual

Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -
Bald Space Marine's have difficult lives.
Mass Effect contains a deep, expansive world full of intrigue, danger, and dialogue trees. It pretty much defines the "RPG Shooter" sub-genre, and is good for dozens upon dozens of hours of sci-fi adventure fun. This iPhone based prequel to Mass Effect's upcoming sequel has subtle hints of many of these things, but not enough gameplay to make it worth your while.

You do get to meet two characters that will also be in Mass Effect 2, Jacob and Miranda. Jacob is a tough space marine type with a -- wait for it -- shaved head. Miranda is a sexy bounty hunter type who pops up from time to time in hologram form to tell Jacob to be careful.
Super Monkey Space Marine - Tilt to move

You play as Jacob. When not choosing from dialogue trees you pilot him around the screen by tilting the iPhone while he selects the next target and shoots at it. You can also tap on a target to get Jacob to shoot at that one instead, and a good majority of the time that retargeting actually works. There are the standard Mass Effect "Force Powers"... sorry, I mean "Biotic Powers" and a few types of guns to shoot. The heavy gun is the most effective at removing an enemy's shield, but unless your target is near a wall, it will often overshoot.

I actually quite like the art style.
The heavy gun in particular seems like a vague hint of things to come in Mass Effect 2. There are some of the sounds you remember, some of the dialgoue trees, some of the characters. Playing Mass Effect: Galaxy is smelling a pizza in the next room, when what you really want is to eat the whole thing. At $3 it might be worth it just to meet the characters and get the promised reward in Mass Effect 2, but if you're looking for actual Mass Effect, this isn't it.
#1 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -
Bald Space Marine's have difficult lives.
Mass Effect contains a deep, expansive world full of intrigue, danger, and dialogue trees. It pretty much defines the "RPG Shooter" sub-genre, and is good for dozens upon dozens of hours of sci-fi adventure fun. This iPhone based prequel to Mass Effect's upcoming sequel has subtle hints of many of these things, but not enough gameplay to make it worth your while.

You do get to meet two characters that will also be in Mass Effect 2, Jacob and Miranda. Jacob is a tough space marine type with a -- wait for it -- shaved head. Miranda is a sexy bounty hunter type who pops up from time to time in hologram form to tell Jacob to be careful.
Super Monkey Space Marine - Tilt to move

You play as Jacob. When not choosing from dialogue trees you pilot him around the screen by tilting the iPhone while he selects the next target and shoots at it. You can also tap on a target to get Jacob to shoot at that one instead, and a good majority of the time that retargeting actually works. There are the standard Mass Effect "Force Powers"... sorry, I mean "Biotic Powers" and a few types of guns to shoot. The heavy gun is the most effective at removing an enemy's shield, but unless your target is near a wall, it will often overshoot.

I actually quite like the art style.
The heavy gun in particular seems like a vague hint of things to come in Mass Effect 2. There are some of the sounds you remember, some of the dialgoue trees, some of the characters. Playing Mass Effect: Galaxy is smelling a pizza in the next room, when what you really want is to eat the whole thing. At $3 it might be worth it just to meet the characters and get the promised reward in Mass Effect 2, but if you're looking for actual Mass Effect, this isn't it.
#2 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

You'd never be able to guess it, but I have absolutely no interest in this. I mean, it's like when they made a DS version of Assassins Creed. Everyone knows it's going to play completely differently, so why would anyone bother with it? Not that I have an Iphone anyway, but still. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.