Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

BioWare Montreal Building Next Mass Effect Game

• 188 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Commander Shepard's story may be over, and it's a question of whether BioWare chooses to go forward in the story, or carve a niche elsewhere.
    Commander Shepard's story may be over, and it's a question of whether BioWare chooses to go forward in the story, or carve a niche elsewhere.

That BioWare is moving forward with another Mass Effect game is not surprising. What that next Mass Effect game becomes, given the mixed response to Mass Effect 3, is going to be interesting to watch. We should see a slightly different take on the universe, though, with BioWare Montreal at the lead.

The other Mass Effect games were developed largely at BioWare Edmonton. Series executive producer Casey Hudson will remain a principle lead on the game, but he will have a new project director under him based in Montreal. That director will be heading the day-to-day development.

“While it [the new game] will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games,” said studio director Yanik Roy in a blog post, “with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.”

It will also be taking a huge technological leap forward, with BioWare leveraging DICE’s Frostbite 2 engine. The Dragon Age team is already experienced with that move; Dragon Age III’s built on it.

What lessons Montreal takes from Mass Effect 3 remain a mystery. The multiplayer garnered a bigger response than anyone could have expected, even amongst the most cynical, and the series was becoming more and more of a competent, enjoyable action game. Will the next one complete the transition, and largely leave its RPG trappings behind? Don’t color me shocked if it happens.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

That BioWare is moving forward with another Mass Effect game is not surprising. What that next Mass Effect game becomes, given the mixed response to Mass Effect 3, is going to be interesting to watch. We should see a slightly different take on the universe, though, with BioWare Montreal at the lead.

The other Mass Effect games were developed largely at BioWare Edmonton. Series executive producer Casey Hudson will remain a principle lead on the game, but he will have a new project director under him based in Montreal. That director will be heading the day-to-day development.

“While it [the new game] will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games,” said studio director Yanik Roy in a blog post, “with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.”

It will also be taking a huge technological leap forward, with BioWare leveraging DICE’s Frostbite 2 engine. The Dragon Age team is already experienced with that move; Dragon Age III’s built on it.

What lessons Montreal takes from Mass Effect 3 remain a mystery. The multiplayer garnered a bigger response than anyone could have expected, even amongst the most cynical, and the series was becoming more and more of a competent, enjoyable action game. Will the next one complete the transition, and largely leave its RPG trappings behind? Don’t color me shocked if it happens.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GabrielCantor

Woo-hoo I guess?

Beefy_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Beefy_Face

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

MOAR LENS FLARE

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hippocrit

More mass effect!

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mbr2

I thought they ended the story? Oh wait this is the video game industry, where money speaks louder than artistic integrity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

MOAR LENS FLARE

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

@Beefy_Face said:

Because they own it and it produces gorgeous looking games.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By nightriff

We won't see a different take on the franchise. This is EA we are talking about, despite what people thought of 3 it still sold extremely well and did receive a lot of praise, there is no reason to make it different by any means. People will by the next ME game but I will not.

EDIT: And I do hope that it returns to the style of the first game, ME as a action game was fine but I remember spending hours on the citadel talking to characters and doing missions where I don't just shoot people, the other 2 not so much sadly.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By morningstar

@mbr2 said:

I thought they ended the story? Oh wait this is the video game industry, where money speaks louder than artistic integrity.

This is a new story without Shepard.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GooieGreen

EA, the quote reads "don't fire 'til you see the whites of their eyes".

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Tylea002

It won't be, but it should be a completely different genre. That universe is so full of amazing possibilities (even if my enthusiasm for it has wayned) that it would be criminal to stick to the same gameplay. How about a turn based strategy game, civ style, where you play the Mass Effect universe. Choose your race, and shape how it develops from the end of the Prothean cycle. Maybe humans reach their relay before the Asari? Who knows?

Or even a Character Action Game as a justicar, or a space combat game with Joker, or a detective story set on the citadel, or bloody anything!

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gruff182

Tower Defence/Dating Simulator

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By VicRattlehead

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

MOAR LENS FLARE

mancopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mancopter

They want to push Frostbite 2 so they don't have to keep licensing the Unreal Engine.

However, I despise EA and I am over Mass Effect. Soooo, pass.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By doobie

@Beefy_Face said:

cos its a great engine they spent a fuck tonne of money developing.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Other than Battlefield 3, and really Battlefield 3 on PC, all the other games on Frostbite 2 look like shit.

LobsterMobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LobsterMobster

"I sure hope they make it into another generic FPS." - absolutely nobody

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TehJedicake

@msavo said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Other than Battlefield 3, and really Battlefield 3 on PC, all the other games on Frostbite 2 look like shit.

You mean all of the other two games that are currently out using Frostbite 2?

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By doobie

@TehJedicake said:

@msavo said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

which actually look great. the graphic were not the problem with those games

but this is the internet so.... must... hate ..... anything..... EA!!!!!

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By bigchief
    Will the next one complete the transition, and largely leave its RPG trappings behind? Don’t color me shocked if it happens.

Well that would certainly be one way to make me stop paying attention to the series entirely, but I suppose I already didn't buy ME3, so go nuts! Who cares!

Fuck Bioware.

DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DarthB

@mbr2: Vote with your wallet. Don't like the game/developer/publisher then don't buy the game. It's that fucking simple.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeJerk

I hope they stop pretending and make it official that it's a full on third person action game this time.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By GaspoweR

@Beefy_Face: It's cheaper than licensing the Unreal Engine and they own DICE who built it. Besides, if one of their own devs creates an engine, why not use it?

lockload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lockload

They wat they lied about mass effect 3 im over the series right now

Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rirse

Can you play as the Star Child this time?

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Bumpton

I'm totally down with this. Can't wait to see what direction they take it. More of anything set in the Mass Effect universe and I'm intrigued.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

@doobie said:

@TehJedicake said:

@msavo said:

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

which actually look great. the graphic were not the problem with those games

but this is the internet so.... must... hate ..... anything..... EA!!!!!

Yup I hate everything EA which is why I'm looking forward to Dead Space 3 and have been playing Battlefield 3 ever since it came out... Seriously though Need for Speed The Run looks and runs like shit and Medal of Honor Warfighter looks like crap to. Screenshots for them look great but in motion they are average at best.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Solh0und
    @Epidehl said:

Woo-hoo I guess?

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GalacticPunt

With their penchant for focus-testing the piss out of everything, I predict 100% more iron sights in the new installment.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zdgro

I hope this isn't more about reapers and protheans and stuff. I want to see more about the different races and conflicts between the races. It would be cool if they went back to humans first contact with aliens. Also I hope they make it an RPG first and a shooter second. I did like weapon customization and stuff from 3 but it would be cool if there was actual loot and more diverse weapon and armor types.

sandweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sandweed

Garrus Vakarian in "Archangel" an Omega Noir Story.

I'm fucking ready.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WiqidBritt

@BigChief said:

Will the next one complete the transition, and largely leave its RPG trappings behind? Don’t color me shocked if it happens.

Well that would certainly be one way to make me stop paying attention to the series entirely, but I suppose I already didn't buy ME3, so go nuts! Who cares!

Fuck Bioware.

Well, someone seems to have had piss in their cornflakes this morning. Funny how as the games get better and better to actually play, they generate more and more irrational hatred from people who claimed to be 'fans' of the franchise.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GalacticPunt

@Rirse said:

Can you play as the Star Child this time?

Better with Kinect.

"Xbox! My God, it's full of stars!"

yeah_write

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yeah_write

@Tylea002 said:

It won't be, but it should be a completely different genre. That universe is so full of amazing possibilities (even if my enthusiasm for it has wayned) that it would be criminal to stick to the same gameplay. How about a turn based strategy game, civ style, where you play the Mass Effect universe. Choose your race, and shape how it develops from the end of the Prothean cycle. Maybe humans reach their relay before the Asari? Who knows?

Or even a Character Action Game as a justicar, or a space combat game with Joker, or a detective story set on the citadel, or bloody anything!

Yeah, say what you will about the end of the trilogy, Bioware did a fantastic job at creating a rich, dense and interesting universe. I think they need to just go ahead and set up Bioware Mass Effect, a studio dedicated to making cool games of different genres set in the awesome Mass Effect universe.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RE_Player1

@WiqidBritt said:

@BigChief said:

Fuck Bioware.

Well, someone seems to have had piss in their cornflakes this morning. Funny how as the games get better and better to actually play, they generate more and more irrational hatred from people who claimed to be 'fans' of the franchise.

That's a matter of opinion. Personally I found ME2 much more fun to play than 3.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

Pretty sure this next game will still have dynamic dialogue choices and, you know, actual roleplaying. I never understood the furious urge by people to make the combat systems in an RPG more and more complicated and that not doing so undermines the quality of the game.

Well, wait. Maybe I do. It's a tangible detail you can point to when a game gets less interesting for multiple subtler reasons that has eventually led to a general disdain for streamlining and simplification.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By TheKing

Yawn.

More interested in watching EA slowly destroy the Bioware name.

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By bigchief

@msavo said:

@WiqidBritt said:

@BigChief said:

Fuck Bioware.

That's a matter of opinion. Personally I found ME2 much more fun to play than 3.

As someone who enjoys RPGs and is getting really bored by shooters, I'd still rather play Mass Effect 1, rough edges and all.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RE_Player1

@BigChief: If ME1 had more accuracy when it came to the aiming I'd be right there with you.

mancopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mancopter

@TheKing said:

Yawn.

More interested in watching EA slowly destroy the Bioware name.

Me too.

Yorkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Yorkin

Mass Effect is the most popular game series that I absolutely dislike. Seems like the cool thing to do on the internet nowadays is hate on Call of Duty, but I hate Mass Effect and that doesn't make me feel cool at all.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Ruiner

@msavo said:

@WiqidBritt said:

@BigChief said:

Fuck Bioware.

Yeah I can shoot shit in a ton of different games..there are literally dozens of shooters on the market...Games that gave you what ME 1 and to a slightly lesser degree gave you are few and far between...

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cookiemonster

Yeeaaah another franchise to beat into the ground, woooo.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By MeatSim

If Frostbite 2 engine means less linear corridors in Mass Effect and Dragon Age then I am happy.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Red

After the ending of ME3, I can't really see any way they can move the series forward.

That being said, I think BioWare should try to just make Firefly: The Game in the Mass Effect universe. I.E. ragtag bunch of misfits try to pull off heists throughout the galaxy, while slowly growing closer and learning more about each other. I don't think I can save the universe again.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BoOzak

Curious to see what Frostbite 2 looks like when it's not being used to simulate the most boring looking enviroments imaginable.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By rjaylee

A Mass Effect game as a Typing of the Dead clone.

Called it.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By ptys

Mass Effect 1 and 2 where such a unique experience. Will be such a shame if they continue to try and appease this shooter audience who will never experience most of what made the series great in the first place.

Laner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Laner

@MeatSim said:

If Frostbite 2 engine means less linear corridors in Mass Effect and Dragon Age then I am happy.

Linear corridors are a defining feature of Bioware games, going back to KOTOR and probably further.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.