Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

BioWare Montreal Building Next Mass Effect Game

• 188 results
    WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By WiqidBritt

@msavo: of course everything is an opinion to a certain extent, but playing all three games again and back to back within a week, I feel that ME3 gives you much more flexibility in combat and doesn't lock you in to a restrictive pattern dependent on what class you choose to play. Also having a much wider selection of weapons at your disposal adds to the variety. There's a reason the multiplayer mode is as popular as it is.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yay!

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm never buying another BioWare game again after the disaster of ME3. I don't care which studio of theirs makes it.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By clumsyninja1

Isn't Bioware upgrading ME 1 for ps3 with a new engine as well...

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By CJduke

I think it would be cool for them to move forward after ME 3 but just with new characters and new story. It would be interesting to see the galaxy being rebuilt and the technology that would be obtained from the dead reapers. I think they could do a lot with creating new weapons, new bad guys, and new characters. If they go back in time it would still be cool but then you would be playing stories that you already know the out come of, and that would be less fun in my opinion.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By JoeyRavn

@MeatSim said:

If Frostbite 2 engine means less linear corridors in Mass Effect and Dragon Age then I am happy.

I don't think you can blame Unreal Engine/whatever engine Dragon Age uses for BioWare's design choices. Just look at Borderlands and its sequel, and previous BioWare games.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By phrosnite

I can't believe people still bitch about the ending of Mass Effect 3 and how it "killed the franchise" for them. There is and there will never be a worse ending than that of Fallout 3.

You people make me laugh. Thanks for that at least... I guess.

TheYear20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By TheYear20XX

A Mass Effect game where you can pick your own species similar to Dragon Age Origins would be pretty incredible (but also a nightmare for choices down the line I imagine).

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WiqidBritt

@BigChief: @The_Ruiner: and all of that uniqueness and fun RPG stuff comes grinding to a complete halt as soon as you're thrown into a combat situation and your class only has training for pistols. AI target locked on to you and running right up to you, to take cover behind you, shooting you the entire time while your little pea shooter shaves away at their health bar is not fun.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By crcruz3

@Tylea002 said:

It won't be, but it should be a completely different genre. That universe is so full of amazing possibilities (even if my enthusiasm for it has wayned) that it would be criminal to stick to the same gameplay. How about a turn based strategy game, civ style, where you play the Mass Effect universe. Choose your race, and shape how it develops from the end of the Prothean cycle. Maybe humans reach their relay before the Asari? Who knows?

Or even a Character Action Game as a justicar, or a space combat game with Joker, or a detective story set on the citadel, or bloody anything!

Turn-based tactics like XCOM! Man, I would play that game!!!

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By RichieJohn

@Red: You win!

Also give us a choice of races and classes.

I know most people would play human soldier (because they're dull) but give us the options!

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By jmfinamore

I hope the writing gets better. For as much crap as 3 gets, I thought the story and writing in 2 were pretty bad for the most part (with a few exceptions). The universe is really awesome and interesting though, so there's at least a lot of material there to try and build stories out of.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By billyhoush

Quebec is running this game shiz.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NTM

@zombie2011 said:

@Beefy_Face said:

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

Because they own it and it produces gorgeous looking games.

Yeah, and I might know the answer, but in case I don't, why aren't they pushing the CryEngine on other games as well?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Dan_CiTi

People's absolute praise of ME1 and absolute hate of ME3 still mystifies me. Mass Effect 1 was another Assassin's Creed 1 for me, plenty of cool ideas, but the execution was mostly a whiff due the game's content being pretty flimsy once you got down to it. A lot of missions, like Noveria, just were not fun and we something I always felt like I was suffering through. The universe was interesting, the dialog system was nice, and I liked Wrex and Garrus. The rest? pretty garbage, especially compared to something like KotOR or ME2. ME3 on the other hand, besides everything that took place on earth was pretty damn awesome, and gameplay wise they even improved on ME2 by adding more choices in character development and weapons, while basically lifting everything else that worked in 2.  

@crcruz3: DUDE if they literally just lifted everything from the new XCOM and made a Mass Effect SRPG, with all of the changes that made sense for the universe, and maybe clear up somethings people didn't like about Enemy Unknown, as well as include elements people love from ME games...dang. You could even have key party members be like "hero" units or whatever. And have dialog trees I don't know. I mean they made Fallout Tactics back in the day so there is a precedent. Bioware take my money. 

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By crcruz3

@clumsyninja1 said:

Upgrading? Upgrading? Isn't it just a port? Please, reveal your source. I'd love to know more about it.

Thanks.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

If the pattern continues, Mass Effect 4 from a gameplay perspective will just be Space Ace.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Nethlem

@Beefy_Face said:

Why is EA pushing Frostbite 2 so hard?

Would you lease a Honda when you already have a Ferrari sitting in your garage?

Building these engines is expensive and Frostbite 2 already made a name for itself. Do you expect them to build a new engine from scratch for every new game or license a third party engine when they already own such a capable one?

@NTM said:

Yeah, and I might know the answer, but in case I don't, why aren't they pushing the CryEngine on other games as well?

Could have to do with licensing, maybe Crytek wants a bigger cut for licensing their engine out to other EA studios and DICE can deliver a better deal with their Frostbite 2. Let's also not forget that the last 2 Crysis games gave the engine a pretty bad reputation on PC's. while Frostbite 2 on PC's is considered a pretty capable engine.

But i think it mostly comes down to licensing costs, Crytek has always been pretty keen on monetizing their engines heavily.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By crcruz3

Call me a simple-minded moron, I don't care. But, more Dragon Age and more Mass Effect are good news for me. I absolutely love both universes. Just give me new stories and I'm in.

tonygxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By tonygxp

Getting to play as a different special operations group from each of the different races would be so great, that's what I'd like to see.

Salarians: Go around doing all sorts of spying/sabotage/information warfare.

Asari: Lead squads on tactical strikes around the galaxy.

Turians: Take part in huge battles with ship to ship combat.

Drell: Skink around urban environments tracking and murdering motherfuckers.

Humans: Sort of did them already.

Krogan: Punch and/or shoot everything until it stops moving. Story reasons for fights are optional.

Elcor: Stand around and look at stuff, I don't know. Maybe skip these guys.

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By reelife

No thanks, I myself is tired of seeing the same game pop up everywhere. Let us hope the next generation of consoles gives us some new shit at launch and not Battlefield 6, COD 25, MOH 4, ME5 and who can forget, Mario 20945098.

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BigSteve1983

@RichieJohn said:

@Red: You win!

Also give us a choice of races and classes.

I know most people would play human soldier (because they're dull) but give us the options!

Hell no if I had a chance of playing as a Krogan or Turian I would love it.

Actually I would be interested to see where the Bioware people take it, also love the Frostbite 2 engine as well.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Rejizzle

I was kinda hoping that Bioware would take a break from Mass Effect. As much as I like a good sci-fi video game I thought they might start a new IP.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By wsowen02

Maybe if they put dialogue choices back in I will consider playing it

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Nekroskop

Bioware needs to get back to their roots. Less bad fanfiction and more good storytelling.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crcruz3

@clumsyninja1 said:

Found it. Upgrade indeed.

ohio_wasabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ohio_wasabi

Is there a way to tell them to stop?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By crusader8463

I found myself losing more and more interest in ME with each new game to the point where I don't think I really care about it any more after ME3. That said I will be interested to see what they do with this new game if for nothing more then an academic perspective. I would get back into the series really hard if they went full on Full Spectrum Warrior gameplay with RPG elements on top of it or an XCom style game with a story.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By crusader8463

@ohio_wasabi said:

Is there a way to tell them to stop?

Don't buy their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Imagine that, already talking shit.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82  Edited By veektarius

People might complain about an FPS perspective for Mass Effect, but you know what would be cool? Deus Ex style FPS in the ME universe. A turn-based or DoW2 styled approach to the franchise would also be cool, but unlikely.

The main advancement I'd like to see in party-based RPGs is the end of the arbitrary party size cap. Either give me a way to use my spare party members during missions that makes sense ala the ME2 finale, or don't give me so many options. Or hey, let me use more party members, though I realize this limitation is due to the desire to reduce complexity.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#83  Edited By buft

@Veektarius said:

People might complain about an FPS perspective for Mass Effect, but you know what would be cool? Deus Ex style FPS in the ME universe. A turn-based or DoW2 styled approach to the franchise would also be cool, but unlikely.

The main advancement I'd like to see in party-based RPGs is the end of the arbitrary party size cap. Either give me a way to use my spare party members during missions that makes sense ala the ME2 finale, or don't give me so many options. Or hey, let me use more party members, though I realize this limitation is due to the desire to reduce complexity.

i like your idea, im a fan of both deus ex and mass effect and im pretty sure i would love a mix of both

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ll_Exile_ll  Online

@Veektarius said:

Yeah, this always bugs me too. It's like, unless it's a stealth mission (which it never is), why not bring everyone, sure would improve the odds of going up against dozens of enemies (from a story perspective, not gameplay obviously)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#85  Edited By Red

@RichieJohn: Doing race choices right in the Mass Effect universe would be very difficult. So much of the relationships and story of Mass Effect depend on you being a human. While humanity would be less vital for an outlaw than a Spectre, races would still require a lot more work than they would in say, Dragon Age. Plus, they would have to have quite a few races to keep everyone appeased (at the very least they'd need Human, Krogan, Turian, Asari, Quarian, and Salarian).

I'd much prefer them making a more human and focused story.

Also getting some awesome ideas for crew members. A reaper-controlled AI. The galaxy's first Krogan/Drell/Batarian Spectre. A yahg.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By crcruz3

@Dan_CiTi said:

People's absolute praise of ME1 and absolute hate of ME3 still mystifies me. Mass Effect 1 was another Assassin's Creed 1 for me, plenty of cool ideas, but the execution was mostly a whiff due the game's content being pretty flimsy once you got down to it. A lot of missions, like Noveria, just were not fun and we something I always felt like I was suffering through. The universe was interesting, the dialog system was nice, and I liked Wrex and Garrus. The rest? pretty garbage, especially compared to something like KotOR or ME2. ME3 on the other hand, besides everything that took place on earth was pretty damn awesome, and gameplay wise they even improved on ME2 by adding more choices in character development and weapons, while basically lifting everything else that worked in 2.

@crcruz3: DUDE if they literally just lifted everything from the new XCOM and made a Mass Effect SRPG, with all of the changes that made sense for the universe, and maybe clear up somethings people didn't like about Enemy Unknown, as well as include elements people love from ME games...dang. You could even have key party members be like "hero" units or whatever. And have dialog trees I don't know. I mean they made Fallout Tactics back in the day so there is a precedent. Bioware take my money.

Oh boy.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By konig_kei

WHY U NO JADE EMPIRE 2!?!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#88  Edited By MeatSim

@JoeyRavn said:

@MeatSim said:

If Frostbite 2 engine means less linear corridors in Mass Effect and Dragon Age then I am happy.

I don't think you can blame Unreal Engine/whatever engine Dragon Age uses for BioWare's design choices. Just look at Borderlands and its sequel, and previous BioWare games.

Yea it's design philosophy. It was just wishful thinking on my part becuase I know from Battlefield 3 that frostbite 2 is cable of making some large impressive looking environments.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By crcruz3

@buft said:

@Veektarius said:

i like your idea, im a fan of both deus ex and mass effect and im pretty sure i would love a mix of both

Sounds good to me.

AdesteFideles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AdesteFideles

mass effect xcom style would do me fine.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By korolev

Galactic Exploration would be nice. That was pretty good in ME1, despite the crappy Mako. Playing as yet another Human Spectre would be a bad idea.

I really wouldn't want to see a Wing-Fighter like space-fighting game, because that is not BioWare's strength. What strength that BioWare has (that hasn't gone away) lies almost purely in Storytelling and World-Building.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By tmthomsen
    a huge technological leap forward

Frostbite 2 is not that different from Unreal Engine 3. Althought I think most developers would agree UE3 is superior.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 3 had neither a huge galaxy to explore nor rich, cinema-like storytelling.

What is did have were various battle-arenas that all looked fairly similar to one another and a hodge-podge of sci-fi tropes, whose meager pieces did not even amount to more than the sum of its parts.

Greeny83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Greeny83

Never played ME1. ME2 put me to sleep. Didn't bother with ME3. Won't ever bother with ME4 no matter what they do with it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @crcruz3: Don't hate cause I wanna put some Krogans on Overwatch. 
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By Dreamfall31

So long as it's as open and awesome as 2 was, I will consider playing it!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#97  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Unlike most people I'm still a big fan of Mass Effect. I really enjoyed ME3 and if this new one is good then I'll play it.

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By jaks

normally I'd be upset at the typical EA activity of buying a studio and farming out its best IP to shitty B-team studios, but honestly they could not fuck it up any worse than Bioware did on ME3. I am not one of those people that went apoplectic with fury at ME3's ending, but holy jesus christ that was a shitty ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b079cb81b70c
    deactivated-5b079cb81b70c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@konig_kei said:

WHY U NO JADE EMPIRE 2!?!

Fucking this. Why Bioware? Why?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Efesell

As I suffered no crushing disappointments from ME3 I'm definitely down for more Mass Effect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.