Finding Mass Effect boring

#1 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

I started playing Mass Effect and I find it boring, not saying it's a bad game. I am on the first mission and I have to force my self to play. Will the game get better? I usually don't like action RPG games, didn't like oblivion or fallout but I did like Borderlands and other game that put the action element first in an RPG. I like turn based RPGs more

#2 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

so you hate the genre, and you hate all the games that are similar. but you want to know if you will like this one?

all i can say is both mass effects were game of the year to me. but this seems like a stupid question in general.

#3 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

I quit like 8 hours in. I was bored out of my skull and tired of running around mazes of areas and "exploring" lame fucking planets. this coming from a guy who loves almost anything space related. Especially if I can fly the universe, exploring and kicking ass. Yet I really couldn't give a shit less about the game.

I'd rather watch a old shit episode of Star Trek.. which says a lot considering I hate Star Trek. (Firefly all the way woooo)

Geek shit aside, I hear the 2nd game was more action and less planet buggy repetition bullshit. Might be worth a rental. I really did want to like the first but it was just poorly designed.

#4 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

It takes a while to get into. I felt the same at first, stick with it and engross yourself in the world.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

If you don't like action RPGs and you didn't like Oblivion or Fallout I really doubt you'll enjoy Mass Effect. A lot of people have complained about the shooting in the game not being good enough but most people enjoy it for the world and story it presents, if you find that you can't get into that then I don't think Mass Effect is for you.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

You are on the presidium. Just do the main missions through until you get the ship and have the universe to explore

The first 1 hours or so in ME1 gives a poor first impression. It is all set up but once that is done, check out what you can do on the planets and explore.

#7 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

First time it came out I played it on pc... for like 10 minutes before I quit and thought it was garbage.

Just before ME2 was about to come out I grabbed ME1 for xbox...and now It's one of my favorite games of all time.

#8 Posted by Tramalulz (6 posts) -

Bioware games are all about the story and universe. that's the carrot on the stick.

#9 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

Play the second one

#10 Posted by Mercot (80 posts) -

The initial stretch on the Citadel takes FOREVER, even though the quests are some of my most memorable in retrospect.

Took me a year to get through Mass Effect on my first playthrough. Loved the world and design, but the story was a bit dense and progress felt too slow. Was lukewarm on ME2 until its release and it blew me away. Beat it twice and came back for a second playthrough on ME1.

Really, really enjoyed the second playthrough, and now I appreciate both equally.

Full disclosure: I am wearing an N7 hoodie as I post this.

#11 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

It takes a while to get into. I felt the same at first, stick with it and engross yourself in the world.

Nah, firstly sounds like the guy does not like these kind of games and secondly it in no way gets better, just more annoying.

@Dany said:

check out what you can do on the planets and explore.

Thats terrible advice. Do what on the planets? Experience a terrible driving segment over and over again, collect some rocks and visit the same bunker like 20 times?

#12 Posted by servothx (25 posts) -

First time I played ME1, I was feeling that way. Until I became a spectre, then have played that game for at least 300 hours. Wait for this moment to occur.

#13 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -

I actually found the first one really exciting, it was the second that felt like a grind. Although if you're more action-orientated, ME2 is where you should be. 

#14 Posted by Potts (159 posts) -

Don't bother with the random planets stuff, unless you really like the Mako, or if you're a obsessive completionist.

Also, don't judge an RPG by the first hour or so. I figured that by now, this would be kind of a given, but I guess people still don't realize that.

Mass Effect is a pretty great game with a lot of story, but it's not a shooter, and it's not a balls-to-the-wall action game. This is a game where like 50% is talking. You will go a couple hours without shooting something. Sometimes you'll drive around an empty planet for a while, for whatever reason. But there is a lot of action to be had, and a great story to go with it. If you don't like it, don't play it, but don't ask if it's something you'll enjoy after only putting an hour into it.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9881 posts) -

I don't think the first Mass Effect is as good as some people make out, but it is worth sticking out the choresome Citadel part early on. The highs are pretty high and the lows are pretty low, but that Citadel stretch is about as low as it gets.

#16 Posted by Largo6661 (338 posts) -

@Moncole: dude dont feel bad if you dont like it you dont like it. And to be honest the game keeps the same pace all the way through so maybe it would be best to cut your losses lol.

#17 Posted by Winternet (8027 posts) -

If you're into space shit, then you should totally continue to play it. If not, then I could see how some of the game's flaws could get in the way.

#18 Posted by Elyk247 (371 posts) -

Mass Effect can be very boring. Some side missions just flat out stank, but the story and characters are the reason I play Mass Effect.

#19 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

I actually really liked the slow pace of the game. Can't blame you if you don't like it and find it boring, pick something more worthy of your time.

#20 Edited by Catarrhal (842 posts) -

Anyone who finds the game boring needs to play as FemShep. Period.

And don't shy away from Renegade dialog options, either.

#21 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

Yeah, I can understand that. I really liked the first Mass Effect, but I recall it being a pretty mellow experience the whole way through.

#22 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Not surprised. The Mass Effect games are essentially poor third person shooter gameplay mechanics supported heavily by an intriguing story. If I wanted a good story I'd just go read a book or watch a movie.

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3643 posts) -

But ... but Mass Effect games are perfection wrapped in heaven nirvana D: I dont like you >:3

#24 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Oh that's because Mass Effect 1 IS boring.

ME 2 is a way more actioney game.

#25 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@Moncole said:

I started playing Mass Effect and I find it boring, not saying it's a bad game. I am on the first mission and I have to force my self to play. Will the game get better? I usually don't like action RPG games, didn't like oblivion or fallout but I did like Borderlands and other game that put the action element first in an RPG. I like turn based RPGs more

A basic grasp of the English language helps....

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

@Moncole:

I'm guessing the game isn't for you.

#27 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

Once you hunker down and put a chunk of time into it.. it starts getting better. Traversing the other planets are a nice break from the main action too.

I'm probably part of the minority here, but I thought the second one was kinda boring. Still not really in any rush to finish it.

#28 Posted by project343 (2835 posts) -

@Moncole: If you can garner enough interest in the story, that should be enough to carry you along the sort-of-mediocre action/RPG combat. And this is coming from one of the most die-hard Mass Effect/BioWare fanboys out there: Mass Effect is super janky and not really fun. Now, if you make it through Mass Effect, you'll upgrade to the infinitely more playable Mass Effect 2. The action is fun, tactical, and you get awesome curving biotic powers.

I'm telling you to play through Mass Effect first because, well, the story is really worth experiencing. Certainly better than it's sequel in the narrative department.

#29 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

If you expected a shooter, you're looking in the wrong place. It's all about story and atmosphere.

Or maybe I'm just biased because Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of all time.

#30 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

Yeah, the beginning of ME1 is pretty horrible. Hell, that whole game has a lot of things that are just bad. I had to force myself to playthrough it so i could import my save into 2, which was a vastly better game. It does improve though...somewhat. And you really can't get the full enjoyment ouf of the second one without playing the first.

#31 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Hate the player, not the game.

#32 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

And don't shy away from Renegade dialog options, either.

True, true.

I like ME2 better though, really don't have the patience to deal with the RPG elements (I did because of the terrific story, characters and ambient but didn't really enjoy the gameplay).

#33 Posted by RetroVirus (1481 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 is a slow burn, but if you can make it to Virmire it really picks up. Otherwise play 2, which is much more engaging and fast-paced.

#34 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Once you get to leave the Citadel things get better.I very much enjoyed a lot of the missions towards the end of the game.

#35 Posted by RetroVirus (1481 posts) -

Also, if you don't finish 1, Wrex never shows up again :(

#36 Posted by NTM (7492 posts) -

The beginning of this year, I beat Mass Effect again twice. The fact that I want the best for my Shepard in ME2 and onto three, I did everything in the game. It somewhat grew on me, though it also shines a light on everything that's bland about the game compared to two, in which if you only beat it once, it's soon forgotten. To answer your question, I think Mass Effect is a bit too slow if you're looking for a great shooter, and the screen tearing and slow down doesn't help.

I think shooting guys is somewhat fun, but if that's the main reason you're motivated to play it, it's not worth it. If you plan on playing two, then I say it's totally worth it. The last time I went through the game felt like a chore, and that's the biggest problem I have with Mass Effect as a whole. Are you playing on PC or 360? Oh, and just so you know, I explored everything that game has to offer, the setting aside from the main areas are repetitive. Mass Effect 2 is better, so I hope you go through it just for the sequel.

By the way, if you haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet (which you should after you play the first), make sure you buy the DLC because those are fantastic. The biggest problem I really have with Mass Effect (on 360) is that it has a slow frame-rate and some screen tearing, while on PC it would sometimes just stop playing on me. I never beat the PC version of the original Mass Effect, though I did for two. Huh... I say go for it if you're into sci-fi and plan on playing the second.

#37 Posted by MikkaQ (10319 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

A psychotically evil femshep in particular.

#38 Posted by jipearce (32 posts) -

@Moncole

Sounds to me like this isn't the game for you. If similar games aren't of interest, and you already are feeling bored by the title, I'd suggest not continuing. Unfortunately, the gameplay doesn't pick up until after the Citidel, where you get the chance to make your own choices, have more freedom, and more powers. If you are looking for a more action oriented experience, the second title might be more interesting to you - it is definitely more action geared, but still has a deep story. If you are after a more japanese style RPG, might I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii.

#39 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5147 posts) -

There are a lot of good games that start slow, can't you wait at least an hour before judging it. Anyway Mass Effect is an RPG, if you don't like them this is probably not the game for you.

#40 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I hated Mass Effect at first:

- The shooting is awful

- I was playing the 360 version which is terrible, framerate drops galore

- Elevators

Funny how it turned out to be my favourite game of this generation. (you know, so far)

@RsistncE said:

If I wanted a good story I'd just go read a book or watch a movie.

Such a dumb argument, there's plenty of garbage books and movies.

Herp fucking derp.

#41 Posted by Baillie (4256 posts) -

Seriously, it took me years to enjoy mass effect. Just flow through the main story and you will fucking love it when you get into it.

#42 Posted by probablytuna (3746 posts) -

It's sad to hear that you find Mass Effect boring and if it's a game where you are forcing yourself to play it then maybe this really isn't for you.

#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11933 posts) -

Yeah. Mass Effect can be a little rough, especially at the beginning. When I let a friend borrow it, my immediate advice was to "Just blaze through the main story planets and do everything on those, because the rest of the game kind of sucks." But considering that this guy has yet to post again in this thread, I somehow doubt that he's actually read any of these comments.

#44 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I had to play it on casual difficulty to get through it, I wanted to experience the story but the Mako stuff was just terrible. And I certainly enjoyed it that way, but ME2 is a vastly better game in my opinion. Liked that so much I completed it on insane.

#45 Edited by samerdl (1 posts) -

I strongly agree with your post, i didn't play any mass effect game before so i had nothing to expect, and i actually enjoyed Fall out 3 A lot, it was fun. But this game wasn't really that enjoyable, for some reason i just paused midway in the game then started remembering the sequence in halo 1 when you discover that squad that got killed by those little creatures and you take the video recording and watch it off a soldiers helmet..

Anyway, i wouldn't buy this game, sure go for it if you like Multiplayer, for me it has no appeal listening to children flaming and yelling at each other, the single player story was really dull 'commander shepered' 'shepered'... Didn't finish it and doubt i will, and to be honest comparing the 'fun' experience in this game to others.. Games like hitman blood money, mgs2, splinter cell 1, tomb raider 2, assassins creed 1 AND DEUS ex HR, Dead space 1-2.. Are so much more enjoyable.. This game is just boring. Sorry if this offends any one!.

Things they could add:

-Ability to crouch, actual space flight not just 2d screen.. Its 2012, they have the money to create it so why didn't they make a space flight similar graphics like black prophecy? (f2p MMORPG).. I want a game where you can do space flight + good 3d quality + land + crash on planets, + land on space ships.. Just a full immense interactive world!.

-Remove the 'call of duty' style shooting, countless enemies keep launching in for TO LONG and they gota die faster.

Also, its not that i just ignore the slow pace, its boring, not very entertaining, and to be honest i just put the game in window mode and watched youtube videos during the long unskipable cut scenes, rest i'd just mostly press space after few seconds, i'd know what the story is about but its to long.. Comparing this game to Deus EX HR is an assault to video game design..

Also, the game got leaked many days before it was even released! Registered just to post :)

#46 Edited by believer258 (12019 posts) -

@samerdl said:

I strongly agree with your post, i didn't play any mass effect game before so i had nothing to expect, and i actually enjoyed Fall out 3 A lot, it was fun. But this game wasn't really that enjoyable, for some reason i just paused midway in the game then started remembering the sequence in halo 1 when you discover that squad that got killed by those little creatures and you take the video recording and watch it off a soldiers helmet..

Anyway, i wouldn't buy this game, sure go for it if you like Multiplayer, for me it has no appeal listening to children flaming and yelling at each other, the single player story was really dull 'commander shepered' 'shepered'... Didn't finish it and doubt i will, and to be honest comparing the 'fun' experience in this game to others.. Games like hitman blood money, mgs2, splinter cell 1, tomb raider 2, assassins creed 1 AND DEUS ex HR, Dead space 1-2.. Are so much more enjoyable.. This game is just boring. Sorry if this offends any one!.

Things they could add:

-Ability to crouch, actual space flight not just 2d screen.. Its 2012, they have the money to create it so why didn't they make a space flight similar graphics like black prophecy? (f2p MMORPG).. I want a game where you can do space flight + good 3d quality + land + crash on planets, + land on space ships.. Just a full immense interactive world!.

-Remove the 'call of duty' style shooting, countless enemies keep launching in for TO LONG and they gota die faster.

Also, its not that i just ignore the slow pace, its boring, not very entertaining, and to be honest i just put the game in window mode and watched youtube videos during the long unskipable cut scenes, rest i'd just mostly press space after few seconds, i'd know what the story is about but its to long.. Comparing this game to Deus EX HR is an assault to video game design..

Also, the game got leaked many days before it was even released! Registered just to post :)

Why are you talking about multiplayer? The only Mass Effect game that has multi is 3, and it's not really that expansive. As for space flight, the second and third games already take up two entire DVD's for the Xbox version. Do you think that content comes from eighty monkeys twiddling their thumbs? No, it takes a whole lot of work, and space flight would take up tons more. Making such a world would require pretty much making an entirely new game with technology that the Xbox 360 doesn't really have. Finally, Call of Duty style shooting? It's far closer to Gears of War, and even then there are several differences. Have you even played these games?

On topic, I can see why someone wouldn't like the first Mass Effect. I actually didn't at first. Still, I suggest sticking with it for at least a few more hours. For all its faults and issues (there are many), it still manages to grab me pretty well every time.

EDIT: And knock it down to casual. I don't care to play the first Mass Effect on any difficulty higher than casual.

#47 Posted by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

Mass Effect is one of those games that really has to be considered in the context of its time. the 7th generation was starting to show what it had in store. it was an impressive game. At the time there was simply nothing like it. Mechanically it had a lot of bugs but they were funny. I have fond memories playing it but mass effect 2 is probably more "user friendly" or whatever, more streamlined and just a perfect game. There is a weird dissonance between the two, I love both games but Mass Effect 2 Is more of a re-imagened version of that world than it is a sequel, even though it is. But that makes the first mass effect all the more obscure and special. There's nothing more interesting than the first entry in a series. It's pure, you know?

#48 Posted by ShaggE (6573 posts) -

@samerdl said:

Things they could add:

Jump in on the third act of a story, skip all the dialog and cutscenes, wonder why you can't get into it. ... What the what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.