Mass Effect > Star Wars?

• 191 results
#1 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
#2 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Personally, I voted D. For that reason plus I'm seriously considering buying the ME novels and that says something in of itself.
#3 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

I have never given a shit about Star Wars, but i really like Mass Effect. So i voted D.

#4 Posted by BaneFireLord (2954 posts) -

I voted Star Wars > ME, but only the original trilogy. The prequels can kiss Mass Effect's ass.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I was trying to write an argument about this, but I can't decide. As soon as I try to write something about either, I think of a counter argument for myself and erase it. I think they're on par.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

I voted Shepard, but I prefer Mass Effect much more than Star Wars.

#7 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2726 posts) -

I don't like Star Wars. 

I do like Mass Effect.

#8 Edited by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

Shepard.

#9 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I think Mass Effect is right up there with Star Wars. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever reach the same amount of fame. 

#10 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

The only good thing about starwars are the books and the action figures and some of the older games. The main run of movies were for the most part kind of terrible. Even if they were amazing back in the 70's/80's, Mr. Lucas proved incapable of improvement well into the 2000's.
ME has thus far been a way more interesting Science fiction series getting pretty raw at times, while Starwars managed to degenerate into some G rated shit FOR KIDZ!!

#11 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

I still like KotOR more than Mass Effect, so er yeah... 
Blame it on the Mako.
#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6314 posts) -
@BaneFireLord said:
" I voted Star Wars > ME, but only the original trilogy. The prequels can kiss Mass Effect's ass. "
This!
#13 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Star Wars is more interesting to me.  Mass Effect was about alien boning.

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Mass Effect, Mass Effect, Mass Effect, Mass Effect!

#15 Posted by Jeust (10768 posts) -

C. ME's universe isn't quite on par with Star Wars universe for me. I find much more depth in Star Wars. 

#16 Edited by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

The original trilogy is as celebrated as it is for a reason.  Also, the best Bioware game is a star wars game too and not mass effect.  

#17 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Wow you've really got every option covered.

#18 Posted by Fruitcocoa (487 posts) -

As fiction I would say that Mass Effect is pretty near Star Wars. I can't choose but they are if anything as good.

#19 Posted by xyzygy (10043 posts) -

Garrus is ME's answer to Han Solo. The universe is much more interesting too. Of course, the Star Wars universe is larger simply because it's older - they've had a lot of time to capitalize on games, comics, books, spinoffs, prequels, etc.

#20 Posted by wh1terav3n (661 posts) -

I would say yes. The fiction is incredibly deep, and it just seems...better built and maybe...more grounded in reality? If that makes any sense. Anyways, I like the world better.

#21 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

A better comparison would be with Star Trek. Star Wars is science fantasy, Mass Effect is science fiction.

#22 Posted by JeanLuc (3592 posts) -

But let me put it this way...  
-Star Wars is Action/Adventure 
-Star Trek is Science Fiction/Technical 
-Mass Effect is both 

Mass Effect wins. I consider it to be the Star Wars/Star Trek of our generation. 
Don't think that I don't like Star Wars and Star Trek though. Both the Original Trilogy and The Next Generation are some of my favorite entertainment of all time. Mass Effect has just joined them thats all.

#23 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

I really hope this forum isn't full of people not old enough to know truly how great Star Wars is.  I'm not taking anything away from Mass Effect, but some people are just too biased (one way or the other).  Its possible that video game nerds are going to choose there game over a movie just because.  I can't decide myself.  I haven't played ME2 yet, but once its on the PS3, I'll be getting it.  Then maybe I'll be able to decide after ME3...

#24 Posted by Soapy86 (2634 posts) -

I love Star Wars and Star Trek (and Battlestar Galactica), but for me personally Mass Effect trumps all of them. It's my new favorite science fiction franchise. 

#25 Posted by Brutal_Bisp (146 posts) -

Mass effect is so much better... and for those people: Yoda is a little bitch and a quitter, he ran away and hid in a swamp like a wimp. That's the truth!

#26 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

Mass Effect is awesome as all hell, but speaking for me, it's also: a) a different beast altogether (Star Wars being a relatively low-budget movie from 33 years ago, and Mass Effect being a big budget video game from 2 or 3 years ago), b) is derivative of Star Wars in some ways, c) although this is probably me being presumptuous, I don't think Mass Effect will be as fondly remembered 33 years from now. In other words, it doesn't have the instant classic feeling to it. 

#27 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

I'd rather play Mass Effect than watch Star Wars. D.

#28 Posted by Gabriel (4069 posts) -

No, the prequels have soiled it's memory, but no.

#29 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I totally feel that Mass Effect is better than Star wars. I really never thought that star wars was that great...but yeah haha..anywho

#30 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

#31 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1192 posts) -

Sure, I'll agree to that.

#32 Posted by ThePencil (390 posts) -

As both a big Star Wars fan and Mass Effect fan I have to say: Mass Effect wins.

I mean seriously, Lucas should just give the keys to the franchise to Bioware cus KOTOR and The Old Republic have to be one of the best additions to the Star Wars lore. What do we get from Lucas? Midiclorians and Jar Jar Binks.

#33 Posted by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -
@wasteguru said:
" But let me put it this way...  -Star Wars is Action/Adventure -Star Trek is Science Fiction/Technical -Mass Effect is both  Mass Effect wins. I consider it to be the Star Wars/Star Trek of our generation. Don't think that I don't like Star Wars and Star Trek though. Both the Original Trilogy and The Next Generation are some of my favorite entertainment of all time. Mass Effect has just joined them thats all. "
StarWars isn't scifi? wat.
#34 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -
@Three0neFive: Star Wars is more of a space opera. More in the vein of Flash Gordon, and John Carter of Mars than anything Isaac Asimov or Robert E. Heinlein would ever write. It's why I really don't think Mass Effect and Star Wars makes for an apt comparison. You want to compare Star Trek and Mass Effect, or the modern BSG and Mass Effect then we can talk. 
#35 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" @wasteguru said:
" But let me put it this way...  -Star Wars is Action/Adventure -Star Trek is Science Fiction/Technical -Mass Effect is both  Mass Effect wins. I consider it to be the Star Wars/Star Trek of our generation. Don't think that I don't like Star Wars and Star Trek though. Both the Original Trilogy and The Next Generation are some of my favorite entertainment of all time. Mass Effect has just joined them thats all. "
StarWars isn't scifi? wat. "
No, its science fantasy. When did they try and explain the mechanics of light-speed or the lightsabres? Its just a fantasy film series (and a damn good one when you ignore the prequels). The universe is never really explained with science, its just a setting for some fun adventure.
#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11930 posts) -

The core of Star Wars, the original trilogy, is probably better than Mass Effect. Of course, the prequel trilogy and most expanded universe stuff is pretty awful, and that has to be taken into account because that's what Star Wars is today. Of course, for all we know Mass Effect 3 will be terrible and totally ruin the franchise. So.... Shepard.

#37 Posted by Milkman (17067 posts) -

I don't know. They're on par, I guess. It's too early to say. BioWare could release three shitty prequels too and tarnish the rest of the franchise. But I agree with option E. Mass Effect wouldn't exist without Star Wars.

#38 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I much prefer Mass Effect to Star Wars.

#39 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

C/E, they are both amazing even with Star Wars' faults with the prequel trilogy.

#40 Posted by Hector (3366 posts) -

I'd say they are equally the same!

#41 Posted by Spoonman671 (4710 posts) -

Lightsaber.

#42 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

Mass Effect is actual sci-fi. Star Wars is an action-fantasy movie that just happens to be set in space. Both are good, but Mass Effect is clearly better.

#43 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

If Shephard wields a lightsaber at any point I might have to change my mind, but for now, Star Wars.

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9877 posts) -

Mass Effect's storyline is fucking garbage, so no.  In terms of the main story arc, ME2 might as well have not even happened.

#45 Edited by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -

Ugh!  

Enough with the cheap stabs at Halo and it's fanbase already!. It's gotten annoying, redundant, and regurgitating! Don't like Halo? Completely cool with that. But the game's been bashed enough already, it's beating and cussing a dead lama you've already killed three fucking years-ago. So this isn't 2007, meaning bashing Halo doesn't make you look cool or clever.  

You really want to stand-out and be different, bash Half-Life or S.T.A.L.K.E.R (I'm a fan of both series BTW) if you really want to be different..
#46 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

I feel I should clarify my position. This coming from a dude who saw Return Of The Jedi in the theatre when it came out, owns an original Empire Strikes Back washcloth and proudest possession when I was young was my 'Rancor Keeper' figurine. 

Mass Effect is better in my opinon. Mainly because I feel the universe is richer. 

There are throwaway characters, races and aliens in Star Wars I couldn't give a toss about. The devil-looking dude in the cantina? Who cares. What is the planet of Endor all about? Don't know, don't care. What race is Yoda? MEH. I don't care enough to buy all the EU novels to find out. Boba Fett's history can eff itself.

Whereas, everything about the ME universe I ate up and asked for seconds. I would line-up day one if they released one of those illustrated technical manuals on the Hanar race. I read every damn word of that Codex and nothing I found was unsatisfying. Turians, Krogans, The Citadel, Protheans, Collectors, Reapers, Saren, Soverign = all awesome. Even a character with a stupid name like 'Illusive Man' works incredibly well. I mined the shit out of those planets and was fasinated by every little detail.

Sure you can say DUDE LIGHTSABERS but all that is pretty superficial I think. The ME universe feels incredibly interesting and it seems like it's just the tip of the iceberg. 

Would I like to hear about the glory of the Ekindlers? FUCK YES I WOULD.
#47 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@GhostlyEnigma: 

I was exaggerating to make a point. Chill.
#48 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It pains me to say this, but Mass Effect. I want to live in that time period, plus it's the Milky Way. Star Wars is some galaxy far away, screw those guys.

#49 Posted by Agent47 (1901 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK: .....???
#50 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6399 posts) -

B. I'm hoping that Mass Effect 3 will be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.