Mass Effect To Hit The Big Screen

• 154 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

If you're into the idea of watching Commander Shepard get all renegade with a dude on the big screen, then Legendary Pictures is counting on your coin. Legendary Pictures--the studio that has co-produced all sorts of hip and edgy stuff like 300 and Watchmen--has acquired the film rights to Bioware's sci-fi RPG series Mass Effect. Warner Bros. will be doing the distribution and it seems as if I Am Legend's Mark Protosevich will be the man behind the screenplay. According to the press release, the producers are "in discussions" for a draft.

Just in case you're worried about this whole thing--and I can't blame you after the film adaptations of Silent Hill, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, etcetera--BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk and Mass Effect 2 lead dude Casey Hudson are in executive producer roles alongside, most famously, Avi and Ari Arad.

Hudson made a brief appearance in the press release this morning that announced the rights acquisition. His statement was one of faith. "...we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.” 

No mention of the mining minigame was made, but hey, a man can wish that such a thing will be translated to the film.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

If you're into the idea of watching Commander Shepard get all renegade with a dude on the big screen, then Legendary Pictures is counting on your coin. Legendary Pictures--the studio that has co-produced all sorts of hip and edgy stuff like 300 and Watchmen--has acquired the film rights to Bioware's sci-fi RPG series Mass Effect. Warner Bros. will be doing the distribution and it seems as if I Am Legend's Mark Protosevich will be the man behind the screenplay. According to the press release, the producers are "in discussions" for a draft.

Just in case you're worried about this whole thing--and I can't blame you after the film adaptations of Silent Hill, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, etcetera--BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk and Mass Effect 2 lead dude Casey Hudson are in executive producer roles alongside, most famously, Avi and Ari Arad.

Hudson made a brief appearance in the press release this morning that announced the rights acquisition. His statement was one of faith. "...we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.” 

No mention of the mining minigame was made, but hey, a man can wish that such a thing will be translated to the film.
#2 Edited by Stolm (10 posts) -

Nice.  (Quest Complete. Nothing to do with the above article.)

#3 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Intresting.

#4 Edited by JauntyHat (323 posts) -

yeeeeesssss. This certainly has potential for being awesome :)

#5 Posted by Gorehorn (88 posts) -

Definitly interested in this, I like the Mass effect universe.

#6 Posted by Southgrove (322 posts) -

Shepard.

#7 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

May the biotics be with you.

#8 Posted by FixerofDeath (308 posts) -

I will remain doubtful of this movie's success until proven otherwise.

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Nothing about the pedigree involved sprouts up a red flag, I suppose people who would hate on it knowing as little as we do are just being over defensive and needlessly cynical. The main story could work in a 2 hour movie. Its not overly complex or contrived, as good stories rarely are.

#10 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

If this movie is going to be cheesy they better mention something about the Mako and planet scanning.

#11 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" If this movie is going to be cheesy they better mention something about the Mako and planet scanning. "
And hacking. And color coded morality choices. Corny is the way to go.
#12 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Nicholson's really hitting them out of the park today.

On point, it will probably be god awful :)

#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Not sure if want...

...yeah I do want.

#14 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Why? Its movielike enough as it is. Strip away the interactivity and all you got is another sci fi universe to tell shallow stories in.

#15 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Color me interested.

#16 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

Avi and Ari? You just can't make this stuff up, folks.

#17 Posted by CouncilSpectre (329 posts) -

Star Trek for a new generation!
#18 Posted by s10129107 (1179 posts) -

I'm kinda sad they're going to sully another great game franchise with a movie that will no doubt poop on your soul.   On the bright side, however, this means more TANG!!!

#19 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Ok I'm calling it, no more news stories today.  Especially ones from six hours ago on Kotaku.

#20 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Looks like someone turned on the Firehose for news coverage. Lots of not-really-big news today on Giant Bomb...

#21 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

This has potential. Of course, so many other video game movies do and that's even if this thing gets off the ground. We'll just have to wait and see.

#22 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Darkstar614 said:
" Looks like someone turned on the Firehose for news coverage. Lots of not-really-big news today on Giant Bomb... "
Just what I was thinking... GB usually only covers the important bits of news.
#23 Posted by Devileye--defunct (48 posts) -

AWESOME Legendary Pictures are the best :) i cant wait
#24 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

With the BioWare doctors and Casey Hudson on board, you'd like to think that this can't fail...You'd like to think that, huh?

#25 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Cool, I like this idea.
I'm not too bothered if the original guys are involved, cos they don't seem like much fun anyway. I loved I am Legend and 300.

#26 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

I bet it could be done right, its already pretty cinematic

#27 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

wrex

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Not to make quick judgement but if this Nicholson guy's sole function is to inundate GB with filler news maybe we're better off without.

#29 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I hope they make it. I hope it lives up to its potential. 

Best Sci-Fi universe ever. Beats Star Trek and Star Wars hands-down.

#30 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

Wonder if they will do CG krogans or man in awesome krogan suit..   

#31 Posted by Nexas (625 posts) -

This sounds like a horrible idea. Mass Effects greatest appeal is its sense of choice. Everyone has the their own view of Shepard and how he/she would act. A movie with its linear path, and predetermined actions goes against all of that. For example a lot people prefer FemShep to the male one. How are those people going feel watching some guy who is clearly not their Shepard on screen.

#32 Posted by Jedted (2322 posts) -

This isn't really big news, we already knew that Avi Arad was optioned the rights to do the movie.  This just makes it official that a movie is in development. 

As long as it doesn't involve Shepard i'm onboard, there's plenty of other stories in the ME universe that can be made into a movie. 
#33 Posted by akeripper (16 posts) -

from destructoid to giant bomb our hero brad nicholson

#34 Edited by crusnchill (856 posts) -

If they pull it off I hope they do something in a similar mood to Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back.

Not the same story but the same level of risk taking in the story telling of the movie. And not something like the stupid over the top prequel Star Wars movies like episodes 1, 2 and 3.

EDIT: (This's a quick hits news article! I like it)

#35 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

As a ME nerd, there is no one that could make a film in the ME universe that I could be 100% happy with, but I'd settle for something watchable. If it could be up to the standard of the Latest Star Trek i'd be happy.

Those whining about too much news need to realise this will be a common thing now there's 2 more writers. Means the usual GB crew have more time to work on other things and that we can stop looking through the idiotic comments on Kotaku and Joystiq.

Could really do with a previous button on the front page now though.

#36 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

hope krogans and turians don't look like shit

#37 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

A game that draws its inspiration from movies is made into a movie. huh.

#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" As a ME nerd, there is no one that could make a film in the ME universe that I could be 100% happy with, but I'd settle for something watchable. If it could be up to the standard of the Latest Star Trek i'd be happy.  Those whining about too much news need to realise this will be a common thing now there's 2 more writers. Means the usual GB crew have more time to work on other things and that we can stop looking through the idiotic comments on Kotaku and Joystiq.  Could really do with a previous button on the front page now though. "
Those kinds of comments are there because of the kind of quantity over quality articles they put there. If they're put here, you'll attract the same kind of people.
#39 Posted by Finch (96 posts) -

My guess: Commander Shepard will not be in this movie.

#40 Posted by Solarus (269 posts) -

I strangely enough think that this will be an awesome movie, despite being based on a game. The right people seem to be involved and the right intellectual property is being used.

#41 Posted by FrostyHerpiez (86 posts) -

Really? well lets watch hollywood find a way to fuck up such a story driven game

#42 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

As long as Sheppard doesn't appear in the movie because if he does I'm certain they'll pick Male Sheppard which = fail

Make it about events before the game, like the first contact war or something

#43 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

Matthew Fox (jack from lost) would be a great Shepard.

#44 Posted by Gilsham (293 posts) -

There is no way for this to be good tbh, the fact that it will nail down how Shepard acts means that everyone's individual play though will be different in tone to the movie, the only way this could have been ok is fine it was just the same universe with cameos from the shipmates who tell of Shepard's exploits

#45 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

I believe some studio is also working on the rights to bring Heavy Rain to the big screen.

#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@gilsham:
You don't really make that many choices. You ask 20 information gathering questions and maybe, maybe, at the end make a blue or red choice. Every version of Shepard was on the Normandy at the beginning of ME2, clearly there wasn't that much real choice if that happened.
#47 Posted by JazzMaverick (108 posts) -

I'm a big fan of Mass Effect and Sci Fi in general,so this is one game to movie i'd actually want to see.. i just hope they can do the characters and story justice.

#48 Posted by Buccura (213 posts) -

It's going to be the Wing Commander movie all over again. That too would have worked perfectly as a movie, just like you'd think Mass Effect would.

Just watch.

#49 Posted by Inuzagi (170 posts) -
Mass Effect on the big screen...I guess it's that time of year again for yet another bad movie based on a video game.
#50 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

Seeing the names and studio attached to this, I cannot help but think this has 'MEDIOCRE' written all over it. I think I'll stick with the games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.