Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Would time-travel work in the Mass Effect universe?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

The Mass Effect series as a whole feels very Star Trek to me. However, time travel is something that exists in Star Trek, but so far has been absent from Mass Effect. Do you guys think a time travel story could work in the universe that BioWare has created, or is it totally out of the question?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

Worm Holes spit you out at a random place and time, so if they flied into one maybe.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

Well if they stick to the hard science fiction they were trying to get in the first one, no.  If they want to makes the Reapers some sort of magic entities that create big space babies, then yes.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benpack

I think it could work. Time travel as a story device can be a little too "deus ex machina" for me, but if done well I really appreciate it. I trust BioWare with this sorta thing, so if they did do it I think they could do it well.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Weird I always thought of Mass Effect as more based off Star Wars because Bioware has made Star wars games.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Even the phrase "time travel" makes me laugh a bit.  

I feel like the tone of the games prevents them from going that direction. Mass Effect is much more Star Wars than it is Star Trek. More space opera than anything else. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

No

Informant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Informant

Time travel always has been the ultimate cop-out plot device to me, plus it essentially confirms and legitimizes pre-destination/prophecy junk in stories which writers are fond of recycling a lot.
    The only time travel that I can agree with is traveling forward and witnessing societal change due to something like cyrostasis or regeneration (which is the plot to ME2, Shepherd spends 2 years in death).

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Timetravel is a rather complex thing to integrate into a story perfect, they had 2 games so far with 1 left to go.
    It's hard for me to imagine them doing anything time travel related now as there is hardly any reason for it and it would come out of the nowhere.

So I spend years getting the universe ready, assembling my team, gathering allies, died and resurrected once, just to hear that whatever I did is not enough and I need to go back to the future (or past) to save the universe? Mood killer is what I think.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august
    @endaround said:
    " Well if they stick to the hard science fiction they were trying to get in the first one, no.  If they want to makes the Reapers some sort of magic entities that create big space babies, then yes. "
    That ship sailed in ME1. Biotics = magic.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @endaround said:
    " Well if they stick to the hard science fiction they were trying to get in the first one, no.  If they want to makes the Reapers some sort of magic entities that create big space babies, then yes. "
    I'm not sure I'd really consider Mass Effect hard science fiction. I mean, yes, there is a lot (A LOT) written explaining how some functions of the world work, but the fact that Reaper technology is mostly describe as just kinda working without much understanding is pretty antithetical to the "How could we possibly get here?" viewpoint of hard science fiction. Granted, I might just be defensive, seeing how I quite like Mass Effect and can't stand strictly hard science fiction. 

As far as the question originally posted, I wouldn't be surprised down the line if/when they end up extending the series beyond the Shepard trilogy if a time travel story were to pop up. Most of Mass Effect feels like a love letter to all forms of science fiction, and there is certainly a lot of good (and admittedly really bad) time travel stories out there.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

The first contact war would be cool. I think it was against the Turians.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Claude said:
    " The first contact war would be cool. I think it was against the Turians. "
    It was, though it was also very shortly lived. Essentially, the Turians happened across one of the earliest human colonies, there was classic misunderstanding between species, the colony was taken (this is where Ashley Williams grandfather earned her family infamy, as he was the one who finally submitted to the Turian forces), only for the ENTIRE ALLIANCE NAVY to attack back. The Turians were ready to respond in greater numbers (and in all likelihood wipe humanity off the face of the earth), only for the Asari to step in at the last minute and tell everyone else to chill the fuck out. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@HubrisRanger: It's not hard science fiction. The Codex encyclopedia stuff aside, Mass Effect is pretty standard space opera fare. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

NO. For the love of Nielsen, NO! Also, no teleporters either. 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vorbis

It's not needed, Shepards time is almost up, after that they can set the games when and where they please.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By coaxmetal

yea. I don't really want to see time-travel in ME, even though it is pretty advanced shit, the world feels sort of grounded, like there is a reality there, but timetravel would just break that illusion, things wouldn't really have the same impact and everything could get fucked up. And yea, after ME3, Shepard's story is presumably finished, so they can set games anywhere and time in the ME universe (and even before ME3 is finished, if they rumours about the ME game being announced at the VGA's mean anything).

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FreakAche
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Timetravel is a rather complex thing to integrate into a story perfect, they had 2 games so far with 1 left to go. It's hard for me to imagine them doing anything time travel related now as there is hardly any reason for it and it would come out of the nowhere.  So I spend years getting the universe ready, assembling my team, gathering allies, died and resurrected once, just to hear that whatever I did is not enough and I need to go back to the future (or past) to save the universe? Mood killer is what I think. "

Well yeah, I don't think they should work time travel into ME3, but I think it might be an interesting concept to explore in future spin-offs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.